RAW video & ML -- Beginners Guide, FAQ & Useful Links -- READ FIRST

Started by RenatoPhoto, May 20, 2013, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haliburton

Thanks, RenatoPhoto: this is a boon, as I use this thread to familiarize folks with shooting raw :)

I may be mistaken, but it seems that there is a typo/series of typos in the first post:

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on May 20, 2013, 05:14:36 AM

<snip>
5D3 is best and working very good.  Continuous recording at 1920x1080 up to 29.97 fps  (Bootflag cannot be undone, this increases wake up time from 0.2 to 2 sec)
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7125.0
5D2 work in progress, continuous recording at 1880x940 at 24p or 1600x900 at 29.97 fps
7D work in progress, continuous 1728x972 24p.
6D work in progress, continuous recording at1840x460 at 24 fps
60D work in progress, continuous recording at 1584x1058 at 24fps  <-- This is max resolution, not continuous
50D work in progress, continuous recording at 1584x1058 at 24fps
700D (T5i) work in progress, continuous recording 1280x720 24 fps.
650D (T4i) work in progress, continuous recording 1280x720 24 fps.
600D (T3i) work in progress, continuous recording 950x540 24 fps.
500D (T2i) work in progress, continuous recording 950x540? 24 fps.
550 & 550D work in progress, continuous recording 950x540 24 fps.
EOSM making progress 1280x720 at 24 fps.

Note: ... and audio recording with RAW video is not available yet.

<snip>

For what it's worth, in raw on the 60D, I film 1280x536, which is a fairly standard widescreen aspect ration of 2.39:1.

With the big buffer on this camera, I get about 35 seconds filming time per take. This certainly would be restrictive in many uses, but I find that it's quite manageable for narrative films.

https://startpage.com/do/search?q=average+shot+length+feature+films

Like many things in life, the "restrictions" imposed by Magic Lantern have actually opened opportunities for me, as beginning to use ML raw was the start of my shooting in real cinematic widescreen form: until then, I had been composing and filming in 16:9 "video" aspect ratio.

----------------

Thanks again RenatoPhoto for starting this primer :)

Konopy

Hello,
we are trying to put ML on our 5D Mark3 with 1.2.1 fw and we have few problems. We read the begginers guide but almost on start there is problem.

1. Format card on PC (must use card reader) and then format on Camera.
2. Put card back on card reader (PC) and copy the fir file to the card root directory.
3. Put card back on Camera and go to the Firmaware update section (Canon Menu) do an update with the 5D3-113-bootflag.fir
Here in point 3. we try to install the 5D3-113-bootflag.fir but the after click on firmawere version (with 1.2.1 in camera) to update/set bootflag on LCD appear "Loading" for a milisecond then the LCD turn off and the red led keep blinking every 2-3 sec. This goes about 10min so we turn off the camera (nothing happened) and then put out the battery. We thought that is some problem with the original 1.2.1 fw so we downgrade the firmware "official way" with file from this site - http://pel.bencemate.com/eoscard/. This procedur was succesful and now we have fw 1.1.3 on camrea.

Then we try to go on with the guide so we format the card (in pc then in camera) then we put the 5D3-113-bootflag.fir on card and try to set the bootflag. Then this happened...
So its said "Could not find ML files".

We also watched this video http://youtu.be/2AgyiJmrio4 and there the guy use another procedure to put the ML on camera. After upgrade/downgrade the fw to 1.1.3 he put all ML files on the card, also autoexec.bin and the 5D3-113-bootflag.fir. Then he use the EOScard.exe to make the card bootable. Then he put the card to the camera and proceed to update/set bootflag procedure. On his video everything goes ok. But one thing is different. He said and same is writen on guide that you need to check two files.. magic.sym and raw_rec.mo. But in the package that we downloade from ML today (build 2014-01-20 01:11:09 +0100) is only the raw_rec.mo .. the magic.sym file is missing. Why? We found the file in description of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7pn5Q6wNMY but we dont know if we can combine this file with the new ones from latest build.

Why is in the official guide another process (wich doesnt work for us) then in the videotutorials (that we thing can work)?
Thank for reply.
David and Jan

joaocbm

Quote from: kgv5 on July 08, 2013, 07:58:47 PM
Press the zoom button - 5x or 10x, doesn't matter. Than go to ML raw menu and check the resolutions. Additionally you can set preview to ML greyscale. To have a good framing (black white though) turn global draw ON.

I manage to go above 1920 pushing the zoom button, however I'm not sure if the ML greyscale is showing the proper frame. If it does the 2048 is just a bit larger than a 5x crop in the sensor... is it correct?

adotphoto

Had numerous issues trying to do the install at first from watching numerous youtube videos. Sais screw it and went ahead and followed step by step instructions on the first page and now I have ML up and running on my camera. What no videos on youtube, the ones I saw, Did not include how to set the bootflag on the camera and thennnn going back to format the card again and then adding the ML folders.

I got the "could not load ML files" error as well but the camera kept on thinking/loading through(red light was flashing) and installed the bootflag. Once completed, were it gives the "smiley face" that was blocked out in some glitched type characters, but seemed to fully process. Took out the SD card, updated to the newest nightly update and formatted card through EOS, put SD card back in camera and everything works as it should

just some notes for any other newbies like myself who run into the above mentioned situations.

davocork

I am new to this and have spent hours figuring out how to install and get the RAW video to work. But its worth it! The ML guys deserve a medal for their work.

I enclose a couple of short videos on how to install Magic Lantern and its raw features on the 650D 600D and 700D. I hope they help someone make the journey to RAW shooting on those cameras a little easier than mine was.  :)

Magic Lantern install

Raw features

evnewsphoto

Hi, I hate to sound like a newbie, I am not with ML, been using it for two years on my T3i and love it! I am about to buy a 5D Mark III in part so I can shoot RAW but also because it is a step up from what I have now. I know I need to get fast CF cards but any brands you guys suggest?

I am confused about RAW with audio, there are some post that says it is now working but then I saw a post where someone said "WRONG, get your facts straight!" and then nothing further about what the facts are. So please don't react like that, I have tried to look through a lot of the post but still can not find a real answer. I am using a Beachtek for all my audio and prefer that for the sake of editing so it is very important to me to have audio in the camera. It's why I went to ML in the first place, so I could have VU meters.

Also can I shoot RAW on my T3i now? Saw that posted but not which version of ML and links to it. I am using ML V2 from 2012 (I think it was called Christmas build).

Thanks, Everett McEwan
StoryCatchers Media

reddeercity

Everything to do with MLV + Audio on All models  -->http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.msg59525#msg59525
Yes Audio Work on 5D3 no problem
Lexar 1000x are very good , but any card that's 1000x or better will work.
T3i Raw Support page & raw record modules --> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5494.msg36786#msg36786
I posted a short video tutorial for the 5d2 with mlv+audio --> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5533.msg94597#msg94597
Also here is a short tutorial with 5d2 and hdmi hard drive recorder on mlv+audio -->http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5533.msg102567#msg102567
I know these video are for 5D2 and you are looking at a 5D3 but it will give you a idea of what to expect with mlv+audio.
I hope this helps  :)

evnewsphoto

Thank you for the info and getting me pointed in the right direction. Much appreciated! Everett

evnewsphoto

So I bought the camera, 5D MArk III, and now I will start gathering the rest, you said Lexar 1000X cards are great but other people have talked about KOMPUTERBAY being good too, I am safe with those also correct?

http://www.komputerbay.com/komputerbay-128gb-professional-compact-flash-cf-card-1000x-write-100mb-s-read-150mb-s-extreme-speed-udma-7-raw-firmware-bootable.html

And what does this mean? It says "This card is NOT firmware-bootable, specially made for the Canon 5D Mark III." ML runs from the card so I am guessing they mean this won't work for ML? So I want the normal one above? 
http://www.komputerbay.com/komputerbay-128gb-professional-compact-flash-card-cf-1050x-write-100mb-s-read-160mb-s-extreme-speed-udma-7-raw-not-firmware-bootable.html

Second question; which nightly build is the one I want to start with for the Mark III? I notice the latest stable release v2.3 does not include Mark III, only Mark II, or does it work on Mark III also? I am running v2 on my T3i now.

Third question; Editing, again I want to do RAW but might not shoot everything in it (like interviews for example- file space) and I am already wondering if FCP 7 could handle it (have a 2.66 gzh dual core mac book pro) or do I need a whole new system and FCP 10 (X)? Asked the Mac geniuses about 4K when looking at FCP 10 and of course they did not know (not genus on that) and would think RAW would be as much of a drag on the system as 4K. Would the back and forth between RAW and regular 1080 be an issue when editing? Where should I go on here about that? I have seen workflow discussed like how to convert the files (Codec) before editing, but not much about what edit systems can handle.

Thanks, and again sorry for the "newbie" sounding questions. Everett

poromaa

Which build works the best for 5D mk ii ?
I have following the nightlies for a while, but since february (i think) the raw_rec module does not seem to work (gives me early stop (8-11) error). Does anyone know a good release or a deadly combo of modules of different release dates (i know, don't). By the way - the MLV works for me without problem.
Cheers

Neo2ML

In The "Quick Setup Guide for 5D3"
3. Put card back on Camera and go to the Firmware update section (Canon Menu) do an update with the 5D3-113-bootflag.fir  Make sure you have a full battery, a dead battery during firmware update could be a disaster.
4. Once the firmware update is finished you have set the bootflag on your camera. 

Not clear on what is to be used for Update.  Do you mean "7D000203.FIR" with "5D3-113-bootflag.fir"?
Hope my question is clear. Thank you

7D owner new to ML

Walter Schulz

Sorry!
You are quoting the installation procedure for 5D3 and ask about 7D?

You may ask about making a cup of tea with coffee beans, too.

Neo2ML

RenatoPhoto
    Moderators
    5DM3 / 7D
I'm am a virgin to your site.  So from your response "5DM3 / 7D" does not mean interchangeable is that correct?

I have tried for 3 days to navigate the web and MagicLantern Forums about setting up 7D for Raw video.  I have discovered that very experienced and knowledgeable people sometimes and not with malice leave out pieces of info due to having been at it so long it is sometimes hard to remember the beginner they once were.  Anyway I thank you for your comment.

I have check out "HOW TO: A guide to installing ML on the 7D with recent features" and the "7D Raw Thread" I am a MacPro User.  I installed Windows 7 on the Mac so as to be able to set up a CF card with EOScard (Successful so far).

I have also been able to install ML on the 7D without EOScard.  Obviously, no modules.  So I am trying to find a Linear forum thread or web location that leave each step clearly for a newbie like my self.  I would clearly accept yours or anyone's guidance about how to proceed in accomplishing this task for the 7D whether that would be another forum for a mac user like myself.

If i'm to new, i must apologize, however I do recognize an exceptional idea when i see one for getting better coverage of video stories.  Again any clear clear directions would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time and comments are more then welcome.

Walter Schulz

Do you have managed to run ML at startup? Means: Turn cam on, wait for the boot process to complete, press trashcan button and ML's menu appears?
If so: Download latest Nightly Build for 7D (top of page -> Downloads -> Browse Nightly Builds), extract content and copy content to the card, overwriting AUTOEXEC.BIN and ML directory.

Neo2ML

Thank you for your response Walter.  Sorry about the delay I had to teach acting & performance classed.  I was able to get ML at startup.  Last night I tried newest to oldest Builds.  with Autoexec.bin and ML directory.  Each one after a fresh start.  Once Loaded the fonts below the main menu and menu names all became unintelligible gibberish in view. As soon as I put on original Autoexec.bin and ML directory all returned to normal.  My goal is to get to raw filming.  I am again going through the process of trying to set up from scratch a bootable system as described with windows and ECOcard ect.  I'm a Mac user so my learning curve has been a little extended.  I'm hoping to come across a linear step by step process for setting up ML with Mac, until then I am very willing to learn the windows process.  How ever from explanation to active process does not always work out as might be expected.
Again any comments or directives would be very well accepted. 
Thank you again for your time.

Neo2ML

Was able to get ML on and the latest Build.  No Scrambled letters yeah. Still no Modules or Raw Choices.  Root Directory:
DCIM (Canon DIR)
MiSC (Canon DIR)
ML (DIR)
autoexec.bin
xxx-bootflag.fir

As stated in "FINALLY INSTALLATION OF RAW VIDEO"
However it also states that I should have in ML/modules/:
magic.sym
raw_rec.mo

magic.sym is not in this build or some of the others i looked at.
There is "7D_203".  Is this a replacement?
Any ideas as to what I should do next towards get to raw.
Thanks for you patience.  Hope to have success soon.
Again all replies are welcome and appriciated

Neo2ML

Raw seems to be working, however every time I update (7D) The Modules disappear until i put back original ML folder and autoexec.  Any thoughts

pbetancourt

I have 1.2.3 Canon firmware installed on my 5D Mark III, so I downloaded the ML 123 bleeding edge night build to try it on my camera. I followed all the steps described in this article, but it seems to work for 1.1.3 version and not the last one. ML seems to be installed OK, and after waiting 25 seconds for disabling the boot flag (don't know what is that anyway) is says DONE and tells me to restart the camera. After doing it, I cannot make ML to work. I press trash button but nothing happens...
Any help to appreciated, I couldn't find it in the Q&A or help page.

Pablo

Stedda

Quote from: pbetancourt on March 30, 2014, 09:20:40 PM
ML seems to be installed OK, and after waiting 25 seconds for disabling the boot flag (don't know what is that anyway) is says DONE and tells me to restart the camera. After doing it, I cannot make ML to work. I press trash button but nothing happens...

If you've disabled the bootflag then ML won't run this is the process used to run ML. Reinstall...
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

evnewsphoto

I finally got my new 5D Mark III and the correct Komputer bay 1000X CF card, but waiting on a card reader to come in the mail. In the meantime I put one of my SD cards (from my T3i) in and tried to get ML up and running, but no luck at all. Does ML only run from the CF on the 5D?

I think I asked this before but there is no stable version of ML for the Mark III, only the nightly builds, so that is what I am using, but I did try the latest stable version (2.3) because it has the MArk II on it, that did not work either. One think I notice is a different menu layout for what is in the nightly build versus the stable build, am I missing something? On the stable build I see the "5D2-212.fir" for example right there in the root menu, is that the "boot flag?" If so where is the "boot flag" for the Mark III? Is that available somewhere else here on the forum?

I see the question above about the firmware version, this camera also came with V. 1.2.3, do I need to back date it or only use the "bleeding edge" 123 (which makes me nervous on a new camera)? I have not tried that version yet.

Thanks, Everett

evnewsphoto

OK getting it now, for everyone else following me watch this, he has a download zip file with all you need!
Thank you Charlie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7pn5Q6wNMY

evnewsphoto

I installed the 113 firmware, successful, then I added the correct 5D3-113-bootflag.fir and the rest of the ML stuff to my SD card (not the CF card) and after updating it gave me the smiley face for the boot disk, then nothing.... and nothing, no ML at all. What is missing?

I also tried the nightly build again now that I have the boot flag and it said it was missing files (fonts was one I saw) and I had static where the boot info and smiley face was before which really worried me. trashed that and went back to this older file.

fotosav

Quote from: evnewsphoto on April 03, 2014, 02:46:13 AM
then I added the correct 5D3-113-bootflag.fir ... and nothing, no ML at all. What is missing?
Did you format SD card by EOScard.exe? As I understand SD-card should be bootable.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: evnewsphoto on April 03, 2014, 02:46:13 AMI installed the 113 firmware

Just to be sure: You pressed the trashcan button after startup and ML won't show up?

Download proper firmware version and give it another try.
Yes, it might look identical ...

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Official_Canon_firmware_updates