Komputerbay 1000x Cards - Benchmarks & Uncompressed video resolution

Started by Vegandelight, May 19, 2013, 04:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supertom

I just benchmarked my 64gb 1000x Komputerbay card and I guess I have to send it back. Or did I do any thing wrong? I'm using ML on my 5d Mark II.

pind

Supertom make sure you not recording on 2 cards instead of just one cf card and not on sd +cf together
My first RAW with ML  --->  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvztBDW2mWc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUppNuhISexbdjO8Rg-3YbBA 5D3 + ML Canon 28-70mm f2.8 17-35mm f2.8

supertom

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: supertom on January 01, 2014, 02:56:55 PM
Or did I do any thing wrong? I'm using ML on my 5d Mark II.

Doing something wrong.....  You should benchmark in playback mode and not in Video Mode before you decide about the quality of you card.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

supertom

I don't see why I should perform it in playback mode? When recording raw movies in 16:9 the movie stops after 5 seconds. So I guess that is not a good card with such short record times. Other users posted  movie-mode results with double the speed that I have with my card.

But to be sure I made the test again in playback mode.

Write: 71.7 MB/s
Read 91.2 MB/s

supertom

Can't tell right now, but Write 71.7 MB/s was the fastest.. the other ones were slower..

Midphase

Quote from: supertom on January 01, 2014, 09:16:41 PM
I don't see why I should perform it in playback mode? When recording raw movies in 16:9 the movie stops after 5 seconds.

FWIW, I have CF cards that can record continuous 1920x1290 on my 5D3, and can't  handle more than a few seconds of 16x9 on the 5D2 (but can go continuous at 2.35:1).

Based on my experience, it's not the cards but the write speed on the 5D2.

P.S.

Same CF cards can handle continuous at 16x9 on a 7D.

supertom

Well, I have a friend that has the same Komputerbay card and can record for over a minute in 16:9. On the web there are others that can record a lot longer than a minute, so I think the slowness of my card isn't meant to be.

I will send it back and hope that the next one is faster or I will invest in the Transcend 32gb 1000x. Never had any issues with Transcend, what do you think?  :)

schlemiel29

Today I recieved my 128 GB 1000x and of course I want to test it. I could record 1920x1080 until 4 GB are consumed, then it ends. How can I start this speed test? I searched in all menus and didn't find anything. I have 5D3 with ML from Aug13.
Because today I read, that my old card reader could damage the card, I first have to order a new UDMA7 compatible one before I can transfer anything to the Mac.

schlemiel29

Okay, I found it under Debug/Benchmarks.

But it breaks within the 2nd read pass.
I chose "Card R/W benchmark (5 min)"
It shows: Blocksize 2048 73 MB/s write, read 100 MB/s
Blocksize 1953 53 MB/s write and read fails after 31/100 loops.
Is that normal? What does it indicate?
Could I set the blocksize to improve speed?

RenatoPhoto

Disable Auto power off.  If may be shutting off the cam before the test finishes

Also check to see if you have the correct optimum settings for RAW recording

VERY IMPORTANT make sure that in Canon Menu:

Image Quality = Raw  for 5D3, 650D, 7D
Image Quality = jpeg for 60D
Auto Lighting Optimizer = OFF
Long exp. noise reduction = OFF
High ISO speed NR = OFF
Highlight tone priority = OFF
Multiple Exposure = Disable
HDR Mode = Disable HDR
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Krane

Quote from: moomilk on May 20, 2013, 07:12:34 PM
Toshiba 1066x claims to have 150Mb\s write speed, Transcend 1000x also might be worth checking as it should be capable of ~120Mb/s
Toshiba is the second largest producer of flash cards after SanDisk so it doesn't sound unreasonable. They have also developed the worlds fastest SD cards with write speeds over 250 MB/s (too bad Canon's SD slot is limited to 20MB/s).

This is one case where the speed of the card is greatly superior to any device capable of supporting it. Lets  just hope Canon gets the memo come the release of 5D Mk IV.
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

schlemiel29

Thank you very much. I tested it with the settings you listed and everything is fine. In 16384 kb blocks the card reaches 120 MB/s write and 156 MB/s read. That's more than expected.   ;D

racomella

A couple of questions about benchmarking.

How can I be sure that ML is benching marking the CF card and not the SD card?

How do I stop a benchmark test? How do I know when the 5 minute test is up? It doesn't seem to stop automatically.

Is it possible to have the write speed appear while one is recording .MLV or ML RAW?

budafilms

Quote from: racomella on April 05, 2014, 12:59:38 AM
A couple of questions about benchmarking.

How can I be sure that ML is benching marking the CF card and not the SD card?

How do I stop a benchmark test? How do I know when the 5 minute test is up? It doesn't seem to stop automatically.

Is it possible to have the write speed appear while one is recording .MLV or ML RAW?

Appear in the top of the screen. 89..92...
Try to rec .RAW or MLV, if works, forget the test.
Your card should work fine.

Ps.: in the sd card you can't get more than seconds. Or nothing and stop recording. Select CF card!

racomella

Thanks for your reply. I don't understand the benchmark because it says my speeds are between 12 - 20 MB/sec but I am able to record .MLV so I am going to take your advise and forget the test.

psantia

Toshiba 1066x claims to have 150Mb\s write speed, Transcend 1000x also might be worth checking as it should be capable of ~120Mb/s

I 've bought trascendent 32gb 1000x but am not able to record full hd without crop ,as well on the lexar x 1000 and the komputerbay  x 1000.

So the only chance are the new toshiba 1066x or komputerbay x1050  but who knows if  the can handle with canon 5d mr3 full hd 30 p continuous?!on paper they say yes..?!

anybody tried one of those...?

It is just matter to have the right CF that writes above 100 mbs if we could use SSd there were no problems for of buffering,stopping, missing frame..etc

Hopefully there 're going to be in the near future CF cards that writes 120 mbs for real...but not for now

budafilms

Quote from: psantia on May 09, 2014, 04:22:54 PM

I 've bought trascendent 32gb 1000x but am not able to record full hd without crop ,as well on the lexar x 1000 and the komputerbay  x 1000.

So the only chance are the new toshiba 1066x or komputerbay x1050  but who knows if  the can handle with canon 5d mr3 full hd 30 p continuous?!on paper they say yes..?!

anybody tried one of those...?

It is just matter to have the right CF that writes above 100 mbs if we could use SSd there were no problems for of buffering,stopping, missing frame..etc

Hopefully there 're going to be in the near future CF cards that writes 120 mbs for real...but not for now

ComputerBay x1000 64Gb it's enough. Works perfect!

Jip-Hop

These are the benchmark results for my KOMPUTERBAY 64GB CF CARD 1000X in the Canon 50D.

I'm currently selling two of these cards on the dutch website Marktplaats: http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/audio-tv-en-foto/fotografie-geheugenkaarten/m811324129-super-snelle-komputerbay-64gb-cf-card-1000x-voor-raw-video.html.
So if you live in the Netherlands (or close by) and need fast shipping you should have a look at my offer :)

Tuukkuli

Hi

My first post here. Here are the results of my two recently purchased Komputerbay 64GB 1000x cards. Do they seem OK?
At least the cards record 1080x1920 25 fps RAW just fine.

Despite searching, I did not find proper explanation/manual of the benchmarks. Is there one? A link would be appreciated.
Thanks!

P.S How can you export the benchmark as a picture like above?

ariaelf

Recently got a pair of Komputer Bay 1000x 64gig cards and have been running benchmark tests.

Now Komputer Bay says in the specs these cards should be getting a minimum of 140mb/s WRITE speed. I seem to be getting half of that. Is this normal with ML? Should I send them back and try again?

PressureFM

Quote from: ariaelf on June 06, 2014, 09:50:48 AM
Recently got a pair of Komputer Bay 1000x 64gig cards and have been running benchmark tests.

Now Komputer Bay says in the specs these cards should be getting a minimum of 140mb/s WRITE speed. I seem to be getting half of that. Is this normal with ML? Should I send them back and try again?

Not really, cards are always rating for READ speed and not write speed. However, what you see are the hardware limitation in the camera body.

ariaelf

Quote from: PressureFM on June 06, 2014, 09:58:49 AM
Not really, cards are always rating for READ speed and not write speed. However, what you see are the hardware limitation in the camera body.

Actually the specs on the website are "KOMPUTERBAY 64GB COMPACT FLASH CARD CF professional 1000X 140 MB/s WRITE and 155MB/s READ speed RAW Extreme 64 GB UDMA 7"

So why is no one getting close to that 140MB/s? A few people at least are getting into the triple digits. Mine are stuck in the 80's...

If you think it's the camera, check out the benchmark tests I did on my computer via a new card reader. It actually did a lot worse (on the left is my card, on the right is the website selling the cards with a "screenshot" of how they are supposed to perform. I used the same testing software.

Here is the second card, also performing much worse.