raw2dng.app 0.13 Osx GUI development, bugs and updates

Started by scrax, May 19, 2013, 03:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvertonesx24

Quote from: dariSSight#1 on June 24, 2013, 04:57:16 AM
Pro Res 4444 should be the only format you should put into you editor.

Isn't the raw data 442? If so, wouldn't Pro Res 444 be a waste of space?

bashi

Quote from: silvertonesx24 on June 24, 2013, 05:36:12 PM
Isn't the raw data 442? If so, wouldn't Pro Res 444 be a waste of space?

the raw is even more than 444...

Danne

Quote from: bashi on June 24, 2013, 05:32:11 PM
My version of raw2dng.app has full preview ;-) don't know if scrax is going to implement it... maybe i release my version separate...

Auto set the same for all would be sweet :).
Oh man, full preview would be even more sweet  :-X
Thanks guys!
/D

meditant

Hello,

The dng files dont work with resolve 9.1.4 or 9.1.3, i have this strange low-res files :

regards

meditant

it's work fine with raw magic but its strange ?

Gumadzon

Quote from: bashi on June 24, 2013, 05:32:11 PM
what we use currently, dcraw, has no kelvin, unfortunately, but rgb multipliers. Auto setting currently does frame by frame - like to change that to take the wb setting from first (or whatever) frame and then apply this to all frames.

My version of raw2dng.app has full preview ;-) don't know if scrax is going to implement it... maybe i release my version separate...

Very interesting! But how to keep this dcraw to wb ratio and bring it to a prores 4444 video?What kind of correlation there's between dcraw and final wb kelvin number in final prores 4444 video? Are you trying to say that we don't need this information anymore?! Neither are we enabled to obtain this information in a different way?

It's a great feature to add preview! I have thought about it today also. Neither an ML devs could make an additional metadata able to be entered on creating new video. (Like BMCC). Very useful IMO.

bashi

Quote from: Gumadzon on June 24, 2013, 09:44:53 PM
Very interesting! But how to keep this dcraw to wb ratio and bring it to a prores 4444 video?What kind of correlation there's between dcraw and final wb kelvin number in final prores 4444 video? Are you trying to say that we don't need this information anymore?! Neither are we enabled to obtain this information in a different way?

sorry ;-) but i don't understand most of this...

the dng are raw bayer data, like image cr2 raw, has no wb applied. dcraw converts this raw image to a color image and there you set the wb (by multiplying the rgb (rgbg)). out of this images the video, in this case prores is made. I don't know of any (non-propiertary) video format that works with raw data. now there's the cinemaDNG format (not the same as DNG) that fills this gap, raw image data for video use.

Mido

Quote from: meditant on June 24, 2013, 08:45:45 PM
Hello,

The dng files dont work with resolve 9.1.4 or 9.1.3, i have this strange low-res files :

regards

Da Vinci Resolve interprets correctly only CinemaDNG. DNG (Digital Negative) is for photography. raw2dng.app creates DNG sequence. CinemaDNG has more metadata in xmp than regular DNG. Basically Resolve gets "confused" with thumbnail data created by raw2dng.app. That is, as far as I know, problem with regular DNG in Resolve. If there is a way to put this metadata in DNG's during conversion in raw2dng.app, that would be very nice for workflow.

pavelpp

What's the command line to convert to ProRes? I'd like first to work on dng's in Lightroom then export tif's to ProRes

bashi

Quote from: pavelpp on June 25, 2013, 08:38:43 AM
What's the command line to convert to ProRes? I'd like first to work on dng's in Lightroom then export tif's to ProRes

ffmpeg -vcodec tiff -i &6d.tiff -r FPS -vcodec prores_kostya -profile:v 3 -vendor ap10 -pix_fmt  yuv444p10le -y -r FPS OUTPUT.mov

cd to your folder containing tiff.
replace both FPS with your actual fps!

pavelpp

Quote from: bashi on June 25, 2013, 09:43:23 AM
ffmpeg -vcodec tiff -i &6d.tiff -r FPS -vcodec prores_kostya -profile:v 3 -vendor ap10 -pix_fmt  yuv444p10be -y -r FPS OUTPUT.mov

cd to your folder containing tiff.
replace both FPS with your actual fps!

Thanks, exactly what I needed!

pavelpp

However is it -pix_fmt  yuv444p10be or -pix_fmt  yuv444p14be ?

bashi

sorry, should be: yuv444p10le

that's the "highest" i got to work.

jc

Quote from: scrax on June 22, 2013, 05:56:08 AM
It's just a matter of finding time to code it, but it will be added in future release.
Great! Would remove one big step for me having to join files ! So looking forward to it :-)

Yes also a hot pixel fix if possible would be great too! James

guentergunter

It's very nice to see now, that raw2dng moves the files to a specific folder (in my case from the CF-card to an external drive) and creates ProRes4444.

But that's useless, unless spanned files are supported!
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

zmelms

the prores4444 files are created but can't be ready by Premiere or Quicktime,  anyone else having this issue?  Also I can't find out how to turn off the creation of the prores files to save space since they don't work.

bashi

Quote from: zmelms on June 26, 2013, 03:05:04 AM
the prores4444 files are created but can't be ready by Premiere or Quicktime,  anyone else having this issue?  Also I can't find out how to turn off the creation of the prores files to save space since they don't work.

What os, qt and premiere version?

Danne

zmelms

QT x
CS6 all the newest stuff
and I have Apple Compressor installed for the ProRes components.

Here's the weird thing.  The only file that worked (aka was recognized by quicktime) was one that I hit the cancel button part way thru the conversion.

bashi

Quote from: zmelms on June 26, 2013, 08:48:32 PM
QT x
CS6 all the newest stuff
and I have Apple Compressor installed for the ProRes components.

Here's the weird thing.  The only file that worked (aka was recognized by quicktime) was one that I hit the cancel button part way thru the conversion.

let's see, 1. can you open the last .dng in those folder without error?
if , this is a known issue and will be resolved. you can hack it to work by deleting this .dng while it is converting to video.

otherwise, After the conversion, click the arrow left near Details, can you copy to the content to pasteall.org or here?

aaphotog

With the older versions of raw2dng, it would allow me to have the app on my desktop, and wherever I dragged the .raw file from is where the converted files would go. Now, they always go to my desktop. My computer hard drive is full but I have an external with space. The raw files are on the external, but when I drag and drop them in raw2dng, it places the converted files on my dektop AND moves a copy of the raw file to my desktop. I've also tried putting the raw2dng app on my external and working on it from there... still places the files on the desktop. I also tried opening raw2dng (from both the external and the one on my desktop) and dragging the app icon onto the opened app and selecting the work folder and it STILL puts the files on my desktop. Any help? I have these files that need to be done and I cant even get the dngs extracted.

aaphotog

NVM, I figured it out. If anyone has the same problem.
All you have to do is redownload it. Put the zip on whatever drive your files are on and unzip it there. If you try just dragging the app to the new drive, it wont work.

Scrax, I figured out the solution to my error BUT, when opening the app(on my external) then dragging the same icon(raw2dng icon) onto the app, I don't get the menu, therefore I can't disable the prores file thing. Any ideas?

ryan_jackson

Hi Scrax,

Fantastic work with raw2dng!

As a suggestion for your next version, could you please make the app modify the ProRes video file to have the same file creation date at the original .RAW file?
This can be done with Touch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_%28Unix%29

Then timecode can be easily added to the converted ProRes video file using http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/42/qtchange

I've written a blog post for how to manually add timecode to video files created from raw2dng:
http://punkoryan.com/2013/07/04/how-to-add-timecode-to-raw-video-from-canon-5d-mark-iii-with-magic-lantern-hack

Thanks!

khurra

hey guys. not a programmer but a filmmaker here with limited coding knowledge.

I'm shooting RAW 1280x720 with my t4i.

When i get files larger than 2GB I can't get them to open in Raw2DNG. this forum says thats Captain Hook fixed this issue but I can't seem to get it to work, even when I download the latest build of Raw2dng (0.13).

Thanks for your help guys!