raw2dng.app 0.13 Osx GUI development, bugs and updates

Started by scrax, May 19, 2013, 03:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrax

Quote from: Indianac on June 21, 2013, 04:54:49 PM
Not sure if I was using an older raw2dng osx, but I grabbed it from the MKii thread. I was getting a green dot in the mov previews that raw2dng made. It was pretty annoying. I figured out that the actual dng files didn't have the green dot so if I followed the normal workflow (raw2dng->PS->QT7) then everything is fine.  Is this a known issue or do I have the wrong version? The one I have says raw2dng converter GUI for 5D2 // Beta 1.0  Thanks
We never reached 1.0, is possible that it's rawmagic what you have?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

scrax

Quote from: jc on June 21, 2013, 07:13:07 PM
so yeah any thoughts on auto joining the 5d2 4GB files?
Thanks. James
It's just a matter of finding time to code it, but it will be added in future release.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

scrax

Quote from: frenchps49 on June 21, 2013, 03:47:01 PM
Hi, Used 0.13. Computer says it can't open the prores sequence. It's not a video.
The end of the verbose inside the app:

"frame=  409 fps=1.7 q=0.0 size=  385499kB time=00:00:17.05 bitrate=185125.8kbits/s   
/Applications/raw2dng0.13.app/Contents/Resources/script: line 40:  2216 Done                    "$DCRAW" -c -H 0 -6 -W -q 3 "$Wtemp" *.dng
      2217 Segmentation fault: 11  | "$FFMPEG" -f image2pipe -vcodec ppm -r "$FPS" -i pipe:0 -vcodec prores_kostya -profile:v 3 -vendor ap10 -pix_fmt yuv444p10 -y -r "$FPS" "$FLDR$FILE_NAME".mov
Done"

If that can help you.
0.12 works?

meditant

Hello,

With 0.13 i activate in the options ProResHQ 4444, but the generated .mov is in ProRes 422 HQ (With cmd + i or in FCPX)

What i do wrong ?

Best regards

bashi

Quote from: meditant on June 22, 2013, 09:01:06 AM
Hello,

With 0.13 i activate in the options ProResHQ 4444, but the generated .mov is in ProRes 422 HQ (With cmd + i or in FCPX)

What i do wrong ?

Best regards

You do nothing wrong. the movie is 4444, but it gets the wrong codec flag (its apch, shoult be ap4h) . this is an issue from ffmpeg. If you open the movie in vlc, you can see in info (cmd+i) decoded Format Planar 4:4:4 YUV. As well you can see the difference from 422 to 444 in some places, like very hard contrast, for example the canyon scene from lukas neumann. Not sure if this causes any problems - haven't found one.

bashi

Quote from: jc on June 21, 2013, 07:13:07 PM
so yeah any thoughts on auto joining the 5d2 4GB files?
Thanks. James

for now you can join them manually:

open terminal then type:
cd /Volumes/bashi/Pictures/Raw (or wherever your RAW files are, you can just drag and drop the folder to terminal)
hit Enter
cat NAME.RAW NAME.R00 NAME.R01 > merged.RAW  (input as many .R00, .R01 you have)
hit Enter

then you have a .RAW that contains all raws - drop this merged.RAW to raw2dng.app

Danne

I love this little app. Is it possible to add some sort of dead pixel filter for when converting to proRes especially? I find som tiny dlts when pressing iso and in 5x mode. Preferably optional like the other stuff.
Thanks guys
//D

meditant

Quote from: bashi on June 22, 2013, 01:57:56 PM
You do nothing wrong. the movie is 4444, but it gets the wrong codec flag (its apch, shoult be ap4h) . this is an issue from ffmpeg. If you open the movie in vlc, you can see in info (cmd+i) decoded Format Planar 4:4:4 YUV. As well you can see the difference from 422 to 444 in some places, like very hard contrast, for example the canyon scene from lukas neumann. Not sure if this causes any problems - haven't found one.

Ok thanks for the info, in vlc 444 10 bits !

It exist a 14bits mov codecs ?

Best regards

bashi

Quote from: meditant on June 22, 2013, 05:52:52 PM
Ok thanks for the info, in vlc 444 10 bits !

It exist a 14bits mov codecs ?

Best regards

I haven't found one yet. Currently i'm aiming at 12bit, but even this seems difficult... i've read somewhere that the setting we are using currently is 4444 12 bit, but that seem be wrong, since vlc says 10 bit...

If you want to use 14bit, use the cinemaDng converter and use those image sequences.

i personally kind of see no point in having a video that is equal or bigger in size than this cinemaDng would be..

i'm as well open for suggestions of other codecs - prores is really nice for editing, but it is soft.

bashi

Quote from: frenchps49 on June 21, 2013, 03:47:01 PM
Hi, Used 0.13. Computer says it can't open the prores sequence. It's not a video.
The end of the verbose inside the app:

"frame=  409 fps=1.7 q=0.0 size=  385499kB time=00:00:17.05 bitrate=185125.8kbits/s   
/Applications/raw2dng0.13.app/Contents/Resources/script: line 40:  2216 Done                    "$DCRAW" -c -H 0 -6 -W -q 3 "$Wtemp" *.dng
      2217 Segmentation fault: 11  | "$FFMPEG" -f image2pipe -vcodec ppm -r "$FPS" -i pipe:0 -vcodec prores_kostya -profile:v 3 -vendor ap10 -pix_fmt yuv444p10 -y -r "$FPS" "$FLDR$FILE_NAME".mov
Done"

If that can help you.

has this video 409 or 410 frames? if so try to delete the last frame and re-run. I got this error on a video, where the last .dng file is messed up.

otherwise try to open the .dng around frame 409 (408, 410) - are they ok?

frenchps49

Yo
Quote from: bashi on June 22, 2013, 07:54:41 PM
has this video 409 or 410 frames? if so try to delete the last frame and re-run. I got this error on a video, where the last .dng file is messed up.

otherwise try to open the .dng around frame 409 (408, 410) - are they ok?

You are right. The last DNG is messed up. It happened to all the shots I have checked. I'd be glad to rerun one. You suggest to remove the last frame but how can I remove the last frame of the RAW file ??? The problem happens when I want the Prores 4444 from the Raw file. Thanks for helping.

noix222

it is possible to see the fps of the file you're converting, like some older versions?? thanks guys !!

bashi

Quote from: frenchps49 on June 22, 2013, 09:47:22 PM
Yo
You are right. The last DNG is messed up. It happened to all the shots I have checked. I'd be glad to rerun one. You suggest to remove the last frame but how can I remove the last frame of the RAW file ??? The problem happens when I want the Prores 4444 from the Raw file. Thanks for helping.

prores is made from .dng anyway, so you can delete it after all the dng's are copied over and while the prores is made...

frenchps49

Quote from: bashi on June 22, 2013, 11:41:24 PM
prores is made from .dng anyway, so you can delete it after all the dng's are copied over and while the prores is made...

Your solution works. Although you must admit it's not efficient if you have a long batch of clips to convert. Maybe you can make it automatic. Easy for me to say...

Thank you all and continue with the good work.

scrax

Quote from: noix222 on June 22, 2013, 10:06:24 PM
it is possible to see the fps of the file you're converting, like some older versions?? thanks guys !!
Yep, restored back in 0.14

Gumadzon

Hello, guys.
I don't think it's a bug. But i think it will be good if you can add these options in upcoming builds:
1) please add an option to proceed apple prores 4444 WITHOUT auto white balance either any whitebalance presets (cloudy, shade, tungsten etc,)
Here's the short movie where you can see how auto white balance does really bad thing
http://youtu.be/0rCHzaa0--E
I think it's really useful to be able to get prores 4444 on the go, but in some cases auto white balance works just not right.
2)add an option for user to be able not to procced DNGs but to result only in MOV file instead.
If i need a MOV why would i need a DNG's?
Add an option to chose whether we need both DNG and MOV neither we need only DNGs or only MOV.

xNiNELiVES

Just a request but, could you put an empty loading bar when first opening raw2dng? Also when you start processing can we get a actual loading bar? In another words a blue indicator that shows the progress of the extraction? Also could we get a ding when the processing is finished? The tri-toned one that you hear after you successfully install software.

dariSSight#1

Quote from: Gumadzon on June 23, 2013, 10:32:26 PM
Hello, guys.
I don't think it's a bug. But i think it will be good if you can add these options in upcoming builds:
1) please add an option to proceed apple prores 4444 WITHOUT auto white balance either any whitebalance presets (cloudy, shade, tungsten etc,)
Here's the short movie where you can see how auto white balance does really bad thing
http://youtu.be/0rCHzaa0--E
I think it's really useful to be able to get prores 4444 on the go, but in some cases auto white balance works just not right.
2)add an option for user to be able not to procced DNGs but to result only in MOV file instead.
If i need a MOV why would i need a DNG's?
Add an option to chose whether we need both DNG and MOV neither we need only DNGs or only MOV.

They have the raw2dng.app becoming very self INTUATIVE, so open the app then just like dropping a .RAW file into the window drop the raw2dng.app into the window, then it will give you the option of turning off the progress 4444 white balance also.

Pro Res 4444 should be the only format you should put into you editor.

Gumadzon

Quote from: dariSSight#1 on June 24, 2013, 04:57:16 AM

They have the raw2dng.app becoming very self INTUATIVE, so open the app then just like dropping a .RAW file into the window drop the raw2dng.app into the window, then it will give you the option of turning off the progress 4444 white balance also.

Pro Res 4444 should be the only format you should put into you editor.

Yes, i have figured out this preferences that you described. But in drop down list there are only presets, like cloudy, tungsten or auto. I need prores 4444 to get white balance properties as it is (as it was shot). I can't get it now, because there's no such feature in current v 0.13 of raw2dng.

Am I wrong?

Danne

You can,t get "as shot whitebalance". Magic L raw mode doesn,t record it to the file. I all has to be done in acr if you want to be 100%

Gumadzon

Quote from: Danne on June 24, 2013, 01:25:21 PM
You can,t get "as shot whitebalance". Magic L raw mode doesn,t record it to the file. I all has to be done in acr if you want to be 100%

Previous workflow used conversion from DNGs to TIFFs in Photoshop and user was able to just select all frames in sequence WITHOUT doing any corrections. Can you add this "WITHOUT CORRECTION" feature to raw2dng to proceed prores 4444 video files? Is it clear to you?

bashi

Quote from: Gumadzon on June 24, 2013, 02:17:09 PM
Previous workflow used conversion from DNGs to TIFFs in Photoshop and user was able to just select all frames in sequence WITHOUT doing any corrections. Can you add this "WITHOUT CORRECTION" feature to raw2dng to proceed prores 4444 video files? Is it clear to you?

not clear to me. There is no raw bayer to rgb or whatever conversion without some sort of "correction". After all you convert a black and white image to colors... You want uniWB? doubt it. You want fixed WB, what value then? You want adobe conversion? then use adobe...

Danne

Regarding the whitebalance settings in raw to dng. Are the presets consistent kelvin-numbers? I understand auto is doing some kind of frame by frame stuff but maybe not the other presets? Would be golden with some kind of tumbnail before applying the whitebalance to the ProRes but it,s not necessary.
Awesome app guys!

bashi

Quote from: Danne on June 24, 2013, 04:57:03 PM
Regarding the whitebalance settings in raw to dng. Are the presets consistent kelvin-numbers? I understand auto is doing some kind of frame by frame stuff but maybe not the other presets? Would be golden with some kind of tumbnail before applying the whitebalance to the ProRes but it,s not necessary.
Awesome app guys!

what we use currently, dcraw, has no kelvin, unfortunately, but rgb multipliers. Auto setting currently does frame by frame - like to change that to take the wb setting from first (or whatever) frame and then apply this to all frames.

My version of raw2dng.app has full preview ;-) don't know if scrax is going to implement it... maybe i release my version separate...