raw2dng.app 0.13 Osx GUI development, bugs and updates

Started by scrax, May 19, 2013, 03:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qbeck

I get "could not complete your request because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered" in PS

actually I can get 960x540 shots in

squig

I did a 64Gb batch with 74 files using beta 0.8 and it worked without a hitch. Thx scrax.

bashi

Thanks for this Tool.

I have some complaints: I don't think it's very elegant to put the Converted Files into the Raw2Dng.app itself and copy them later... Converting Raw on external Drive - and everything gets copied twice, once to my System HD (Which is not thaat Big - SSD), and then back to drive. Sound like a hack to me ;-)
This as well messes things up, if one wants to convert multiple Raw at the same time, since they overwrite each others results...

Can't it be made that the conversion happens where the RAW file is? (without copying stuff)

This copy thing as well causes my Mac to freeze occasionally.. ;-)

Danne

Quote from: bashi on May 26, 2013, 03:28:08 PM
Thanks for this Tool.

I have some complaints: I don't think it's very elegant to put the Converted Files into the Raw2Dng.app itself and copy them later... Converting Raw on external Drive - and everything gets copied twice, once to my System HD (Which is not thaat Big - SSD), and then back to drive. Sound like a hack to me ;-)
This as well messes things up, if one wants to convert multiple Raw at the same time, since they overwrite each others results...

Can't it be made that the conversion happens where the RAW file is? (without copying stuff)

Simply put the converter app on the external harddrive and drag and drop from there. All copying and conversions will take place and space on your external harddrive and not on your computerdrive. This app is beauuutiful

bashi

That's a ridiculous workflow suggestion ;-) Why should i copy the App seven times to make seven Raw conversions (at the same time)? lol
Why does it need to copy the Dng at all? the raw2dng in terminal allows direct conversion, not? (raw2dng input output)

Danne

Quote from: bashi on May 26, 2013, 06:28:32 PM
That's a ridiculous workflow suggestion ;-) Why should i copy the App seven times to make seven Raw conversions (at the same time)? lol
Why does it need to copy the Dng at all? the raw2dng in terminal allows direct conversion, not? (raw2dng input output)

Since you can drag the whole folder onto the app you only need one app. Still ridiculous?

bashi

scrax

Quote from: bashi on May 26, 2013, 03:28:08 PM

I have to agree, but I do glass bottles for job, not software ;)

raw2dng need to be patched to support output destination, but I have half idea on how to do it from bash. Just follow the topic for when it will be working
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

bashi

scrax

Quote from: bashi on May 26, 2013, 08:30:12 PM
Ok, great, thanks.

cool job.

Ok, the new version with the conversion directly inside the destination folder should work in 0.9, please test it and report back.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Danne

Quote from: scrax on May 27, 2013, 02:59:43 PM
Ok, the new version with the conversion directly inside the destination folder should work in 0.9, please test it and report back.

Worked perfectly! Didn,t try it with any larger files but should work fine. Very good work

scrax

Quote from: Danne on May 27, 2013, 04:27:03 PM
Worked perfectly! Didn,t try it with any larger files but should work fine. Very good work
Good, since raw2dng is the same as 0.8 file size don't matter for testing it, thank's.

olik

How can I batch convert multiple files to dng? Also, is there a way with other software to batch convert the dngs to tiff or similar?

noisyboy

Quote from: olik on May 28, 2013, 12:44:50 AM
How can I batch convert multiple files to dng? Also, is there a way with other software to batch convert the dngs to tiff or similar?

You have read this thread right?

Also dude - just a gentle reminder not to be cross posting: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=934.msg1141#msg1141

Please perform a search first and then if you don't find the answer, stick to asking in threads which already have a discussion regarding this topic.

To answer your question - yes there is software for batch extracting DNG's on both Windows and Mac. For Mac - read this thread. Windows - look here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5557.0

Felixlgr

Many thanks for your amazing little app...0.9 works like a charm here... i drop my RAW folder on it  and it process everything smoothly and place everything in its own folder

keep up the good work !!

mnteddy

I'm getting a couple errors that cause the app not to function if it's in a directory leading up to it's containing folder that contains a space in the name. For example: If have the app here "/Applications/RAWApps", it's fine. If it's here "/Applications/Magic Lantern/RAWApps" (space in Magic Lantern", no dice. This didn't occur with earlier versions. Aside from that, still handles the .RAWs like a champ.

Keep up the good work!

scrax

Quote from: mnteddy on May 28, 2013, 03:36:52 AM
I'm getting a couple errors that cause the app not to function if it's in a directory leading up to it's containing folder that contains a space in the name. For example: If have the app here "/Applications/RAWApps", it's fine. If it's here "/Applications/Magic Lantern/RAWApps" (space in Magic Lantern", no dice. This didn't occur with earlier versions. Aside from that, still handles the .RAWs like a champ.

Keep up the good work!
will try to reproduce and fix

bashi

Hey, that works like a charm. I've had a look at the it and changed the script so it would import all files put on it, if you drop multiple Raw on it, not just the first one.

EDITII:forget the following and look next post ;-)

In INIT after checkFLDR:

elif [ -f "$1" ]; then
for i in $*
do file_is=$i
importFILE
done
else

not so sure about check for $1 and then operate on $*.... but it works in all Chases (Single File drop, Multiple File drop, Folder drop). Thank you.
EDIT: It does not work if drop Folder and Files... So still room for improvement ;-) I might look at this as well.

bashi

Ok, here is the INIT Code that works in all Cases:

INIT
for i in $*
    do
    if [ -d "$i" ]; then
        FILES_FLDR=$i/
        echo "SEARCHING: $FILES_FLDR"
        checkFLDR       
    elif [ -f "$i" ]; then
        file_is=$i
        importFILE       
    else
    echo "Drop a ML .RAW video file and/or folder here"
fi
done
exit 0

@scrax, would you mind testing it, and if it works maybe put it in app if you like?

bashi

Since i now see the app is basically a shell script, i'm thinking about implementing dcraw and ffmpeg. Dcraw for make tiff out of DNG and ffmpeg to make Video from tiff. I have tinkered the last Days with them and Automator, to batch-convert them.
But there are some issues for me... I'm not familiar with Menu builder (or how its called, the thing to make UI), and it would almost need some UI for it, out of following reasons: for dcraw i would like to set at least the WhiteBalance. Automatic does not work well enough. But this would almost require a preview of at least one DNG file. Other variant would be to have only setting for Tungsten, Daylight and others. (Kelvin would be a bit difficult sine draw does not have Kelvin, but RGB multipliers).
for ffmpeg it would make sense to be able to choose Codec or probably some Preset Codec/Container combination. (ffmpeg shell execution is quite complex, and i'm not a programmer myself, except some basic Shell/Phyton)

About xcode menu builder. Since you have used it somewhat, what you think about it? Is it difficult or relative "easy" to learn? I'm willing to spend some time. Just let me know what you thing about it there.

This for now, and now some questions:
1. Is somebody already planing an app to do this?
2. How do you feel about having this in raw2dng app? Should it be a separate app? (I think it kind of makes sense to have all together, maybe with options to do DNG and/or Tiff (or jpeg) and/or Video.)
3. Do you think there will be World Peace? ;-)

Well, let's see...

scrax

Quote from: bashi on May 28, 2013, 07:35:37 PM
Ok, here is the INIT Code that works in all Cases:

INIT
for i in $*
    do
    if [ -d "$i" ]; then
        FILES_FLDR=$i/
        echo "SEARCHING: $FILES_FLDR"
        checkFLDR       
    elif [ -f "$i" ]; then
        file_is=$i
        importFILE       
    else
    echo "Drop a ML .RAW video file and/or folder here"
fi
done
exit 0

@scrax, would you mind testing it, and if it works maybe put it in app if you like?

Good idea, adding it now, about the GUI, in raw2dng.app we are using this platypus that has just some default windows. To make other elements take a look at MLTools, if value are fixed we can have dropdown menu or some simple buttons

So far i still can't make a GUI from xcode to trigger some simple bash scripts (that in that case could be a good think to have a nicer GUI)...

swinxx

0.9 does not work in my setup..
i have the raw2dng app in my dropbox folder, linked with my finder window (i can see the appicon in in the top of every finder window)
and when i drag my folders to the icon raw2dng0.8 worked as expected, but 0.9 did not convert the files (but created the dirs)
thx

Danne

I extract my app wthin the programfolder on my mac. From there I drag it to the top so it sticks on top of the folder. Then I can use the app from any location I choose to convert my folders with rawfiles.

budafilms

Have you try this open source? I´m not programmer, maybe you can get something about it: http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

It´s free for mac , windows and linux.

scrax

Quote from: swinxx on May 29, 2013, 07:09:44 AM
0.9 does not work in my setup..
i have the raw2dng app in my dropbox folder, linked with my finder window (i can see the appicon in in the top of every finder window)
and when i drag my folders to the icon raw2dng0.8 worked as expected, but 0.9 did not convert the files (but created the dirs)
thx

Do you see any message in the raw2dng window?