raw2dng.app 0.13 Osx GUI development, bugs and updates

Started by scrax, May 19, 2013, 03:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrax

New release with fixes from Captain Hook: raw2dng.app.0.6.zip

for the problem with dng_validate, here a raw2dng compiled with latest sources, just replace it in the app package to test it:

Ok with latest sources I have no more problem with photoshop so here right to 0.7 check the dng_validate problem should be fixed: https://bitbucket.org/600dplus/magic-lantern-things/downloads/raw2dng.app.0.7.zip
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

scrax

Quote from: CaptainHook on May 22, 2013, 07:12:14 AM
This is using Scrax's app 0.5 - which i think he said uses and older raw2dng compile? Maybe you've fixed and it's not in Scrax's share yet, but here's a file anyway i just converted:

Updating source fixed all my problem with photoshop! Now 0.7 is up to date with source
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

cinema5D

Hi scarx,

Thanks so much for the lightning fast development of an easy to use app that now seems very solid!

One thing though: You write Known Issues: None, but there's still that thing with the dng's not being cinemaDNG's. I just wanted to make sure you guys are aware of the importance of this part about the files being less easy to handle that way. Being able to import them into Resolve would make a huge difference for many as it would not only improve and enhance the workflow, but also make it a more professional solution in terms of consistency and file generations/handling.
Or is the issue somewhere else?
Thanks anyway for providing this great solution so far.

scrax

Quote from: cinema5D on May 22, 2013, 11:52:47 AM
Hi scarx,

Thanks so much for the lightning fast development of an easy to use app that now seems very solid!

One thing though: You write Known Issues: None, but there's still that thing with the dng's not being cinemaDNG's. I just wanted to make sure you guys are aware of the importance of this part about the files being less easy to handle that way. Being able to import them into Resolve would make a huge difference for many as it would not only improve and enhance the workflow, but also make it a more professional solution in terms of consistency and file generations/handling.
Or is the issue somewhere else?
Thanks anyway for providing this great solution so far.

Your are right, the dng file are generated by raw2dng (developed by Alex) that's inside the raw2dng.app package so this is something that need to be solved there, the know issue are relative to the GUI wrapper that do the work of starting the command line tool for the raw dragged in.
Added it to first topic

I think alex is already working on it. I can't test that problem because don't know Resolve and all those raw video procedures with proxies and so on.

What is the basic raw video workflow?
RAW to DNG
folder that should be cinemaDNG
Editing software

I saw that there is a win batch converted that converts to tiff and makes proxy but didn't get why or what they are.

12georgiadis

Quote from: scrax on May 22, 2013, 12:02:56 PM
Your are right, the dng file are generated by raw2dng (developed by Alex) that's inside the raw2dng.app package so this is something that need to be solved there, the know issue are relative to the GUI wrapper that do the work of starting the command line tool for the raw dragged in.
Added it to first topic

I think alex is already working on it. I can't test that problem because don't know Resolve and all those raw video procedures with proxies and so on.

What is the basic raw video workflow?
RAW to DNG
folder that should be cinemaDNG
Editing software

I saw that there is a win batch converted that converts to tiff and makes proxy but didn't get why or what they are.

Scrax, here is the workflow that I do with the Black Magic Cinema Camera that records in 12-bit Raw Cinema DNG (which work the same with the 5D Raw if you can transform raw to DNG DNG cinema..) :
When you open Da Vinci Resolve It recognizes Cinema DNG because I think in the first DNG file, there is the content of the metadata Cinema (Time Code, Frame Rate, T-Stop, Reel Name, Camera Label) + photo metadata record.
Then we created proxies to ProRes 422, which only contain the metadata cinema to edit the footage on any professional NLE (Premiere, FCP X, Avid, etc..).
Once finished editing, you export the project in XML and conformation is due to metadata Cinema, to link to the DNG. From there, Resolve recognizes files and keeps the edit right.
We can then do the color grading in raw.
If DNG is converted to Tiff is no longer raw.

12georgiadis

And there is a light version of Da Vinci Resolve which is free and can handle 1920 X 1080 resolution. So, perfect to test the Cinema DNG compatibility ;-)

scrax

Quote from: 12georgiadis on May 22, 2013, 12:32:30 PM
And there is a light version of Da Vinci Resolve which is free and can handle 1920 X 1080 resolution. So, perfect to test the Cinema DNG compatibility ;-)

Yes I were to download it but they asked registration. :)

CaptainHook

I think the cinemaDNG discussion belongs in this thread:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5404.0

Quote from: 12georgiadis on May 22, 2013, 12:25:57 PM
I think in the first DNG file, there is the content of the metadata Cinema (Time Code, Frame Rate, T-Stop, Reel Name, Camera Label) + photo metadata record.

Not in BMCC DNG's.. each DNG just contains some of the DNG Tags as described in the DNG spec here (section 4):
http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/dng_spec_1.4.0.0.pdf

They also use TIFF Tag 51043 for timecode and 51044 for framerate as defined in cinemaDNG spec:
http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/cinemadng/pdfs/CinemaDNG_Format_Specification_v1_1.pdf

@Scrax - Registration for Resolve Lite can be filled in with any details, you don't have to be a customer. :)

12georgiadis

Quote from: CaptainHook on May 22, 2013, 12:44:06 PM
I think the cinemaDNG discussion belongs in this thread:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5404.0

Not in BMCC DNG's.. each DNG just contains some of the DNG Tags as described in the DNG spec here (section 4):
http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/dng_spec_1.4.0.0.pdf

They also use TIFF Tag 51043 for timecode and 51044 for framerate as defined in cinemaDNG spec:
http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/cinemadng/pdfs/CinemaDNG_Format_Specification_v1_1.pdf

@Scrax - Registration for Resolve Lite can be filled in with any details, you don't have to be a customer. :)

Thanks for the informations. So if these tags are added (TC + DNG's tags from chapter 4) it should theorically work in Resolve?

Felixlgr

i have been trying to find info on how to create CinemaDNG... since its open source everything seems available freely

adobe official page with white papers and specs: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/cinemadng.html

some interesting discussion about converting dng to cinemadng : http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/277/22358

im no coder but im trying hard to figure it out...it must be really a difference in metadata xmp data

12georgiadis

Quote from: Felixlgr on May 22, 2013, 09:05:58 PM
i have been trying to find info on how to create CinemaDNG... since its open source everything seems available freely

adobe official page with white papers and specs: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/cinemadng.html

some interesting discussion about converting dng to cinemadng : http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/277/22358

im no coder but im trying hard to figure it out...it must be really a difference in metadata xmp data

Thank you for the creative cow link. So it could be the thumbnail added by Adobe DNG Converter (if there is a reconversion after raw2DNG) that pose a compatibility problem. Perhaps by removing it, the DNG would work with resolve =)

swinxx

it would be so great to make the raw dngs work with resolve :)
thx to the developers.. hope you will be able to make it happen.

scrax

cinema5D

Quote from: scrax on May 22, 2013, 12:40:51 PM
Yes I were to download it but they asked registration. :)

Thanks for the explanation. Regarding Resolve registration simply input anything into the fields and you'll be able to download immediately. You don't have to actually register.

Cheers

alexunderboots

some bugs, please help ((((

Hack OS 10.7.3
Beta ver.0.7
/Users/alexunderboots/Desktop/raw2dng.app/Contents/Resources/script: line 3: 93216 Segmentation fault: 11  ./raw2dng "$file_is"

scrax

with al the files?
can you describe better how you were using it?
are you booting in 64 or 32bit mode?
what's the size of the app?

alexunderboots

yes, it happens to all the files. add them to the program, it creates a folder and then stops showing the error.
64 bit
app size 397.5 KB 397,535 bytes

scrax

do you have enough space on the disk where the file are?

alexunderboots

alexunderboots

scrax

I found some errors in the scrip but unrelated to your problem so try with 0.8 will post it right now

EDIT: https://bitbucket.org/600dplus/magic-lantern-things/downloads/raw2dng.app.0.8.zip

mnteddy

This is fantastic! It's been able to handle everything I've thrown at it.

I would love to be able to set a destination for the output. That way I could read the RAW files straight off of the card and send the DNGs right into my hard drive. With the command line app, I would simply browse to the directory I wanted to files to be dumped into, and run the app from there. Worked like a charm.

scrax

Quote from: mnteddy on May 25, 2013, 06:29:34 PM
This is fantastic! It's been able to handle everything I've thrown at it.

I would love to be able to set a destination for the output. That way I could read the RAW files straight off of the card and send the DNGs right into my hard drive. With the command line app, I would simply browse to the directory I wanted to files to be dumped into, and run the app from there. Worked like a charm.

MLTools is for that (and more), but for now it's giving me problems with the crc check for moved files so I suggest you to be a little patient until raw video conversion isn't added to it. I'll post link and documentation when ready, so far I had almost none feedback so I've keept it dirty since I was able to use it without issue.

MLTools is configurable so you can choose the working folder and autoimport (using image acquisition to start it when the card is mounted).