[solved] 60D silent pics DNG

Started by marekk, May 19, 2013, 12:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

payne

Quote from: Bioskop.Inc on May 24, 2013, 08:11:31 PM
No, sorry. I was only getting those resolutions with black bars (1888x1882 is the original frame size before they cropped it), which Marekk enabled in an autoexec.bin to see what my camera was doing - other 60D users are getting less frames but they are slightly larger @ 1734x1156.

I'm getting the following:

1080p or M photo mode:
1730x1152 @ 69 frames
2516x1076 @ 52 frames (in x5 crop zoom mode)

720p
1730x690 @ 112 frames (NB. the image is squashed so you just change 690 to 1152)
2516x1076 @ 52 frames

Not sure if the 720p frames are as good quality though, but much better than H264 - there is some noise/grain to image.

A good tip is to turn off RAW pic selection in photo mode (Canon Menu) & just set it to jpeg only (size doesn't seem to matter) - you get more frames this way.

Let us know if you get the same frames as me, since your camera is the same year.

Regardless: you are getting 2.9 seconds at almost HD, 2 seconds at 2.5k and 4.6 seconds at something close to 720p. That's amazing!

Just think if we can get closer to 5+ seconds at close to 1080p by the time we are done tweaking and testing? That would be a huge win for people like me that want to at least be able to grab short but high quality clips on vacation or for family movies. I cannot afford a 5D mk III under any circumstances so progress on the 60D is very exciting!

If you can point me to the appropriate download link for the best build to use I would be happy to try it out on my camera and let you know how my frame rate compares to you.

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: payne on May 24, 2013, 08:41:49 PM

If you can point me to the appropriate download link for the best build to use I would be happy to try it out on my camera and let you know how my frame rate compares to you.

Download & install the 2.3 release, from here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/download

And once installed properly, overwrite it with the files found in the latest NB, from here:
http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/nightly/

Its Silent Pics/Burst mode that you want to use.
Try a Timelapse with SP/Single mode & Intervalometer - awesome!

If you don't have any fancy editing program (pic or video) you can use Adobe DNG Converter (free download).

payne

Thank you Bioskop! I installed the standard ML 2.3 last night. Tonight I will overwrite with the nightly build files and give it a try this weekend. Thank you for the link!

kslau8

I'm getting:
Global draw off, JPEG quality, movie rec mode.  I got my 60D in November 2011.

1080p
69 frames @ 1734x1156
(5X Zoom) 52 frames @ 2520x1080

720P
112 frames @ 1734x694
(5X Zoom) 52 frames @ 2520x1080

Any word on the raw_rec ability for the 60D?  I tried running an autoexec.bin Marekk uploaded a little while ago but it didn't seem to work. 

payne

Are these DNG bursts always at 24fps or 23.98fps?

kslau8

All of mine have been 23.976.

There's a post over on another forum which now has raw_rec enabled for the 60D.  Again, try at your own risk but Marekk has enabled it and it's working on mine.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5653.msg40016#msg40016

payne

I will try raw burst first and raw rec 2nd. It sounds like we can get slightly higher quality out of raw burst but slightly shorter record times.

OrhCh

1080p or M photo mode:
1730x1152 @ 69 frames

720p
1730x690 @ 112 frames (NB. the image is squashed so you just change 690 to 1152)
2516x1076 @ 52 frames

I got the same results.

marekk

You should to check also a RAW histogram feature. we can now access this awesome feature.

bhursey

So here is my question. I can not seem to be able to be able to do it. So say I set silent picture. However I set say the shutter at 3 seconds. I noticed when I was trying to create blur it does not.?  I want to sorta be able to catch car streaks and stars if possible. To do this the exposure needs to be long.  Basically what are the limitations? I think I am out of luck because it pulls the image from the live view correct? And if live view can not see it then it will not work.

marekk

I only ported this feature to 60D.. If you've got any question:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5240.0

Quote from: bhursey on May 26, 2013, 06:58:20 AM
So here is my question. I can not seem to be able to be able to do it. So say I set silent picture. However I set say the shutter at 3 seconds. I noticed when I was trying to create blur it does not.?  I want to sorta be able to catch car streaks and stars if possible. To do this the exposure needs to be long.  Basically what are the limitations? I think I am out of luck because it pulls the image from the live view correct? And if live view can not see it then it will not work.

PKVariance

1080p or M photo mode:
1730x1152 @ 69 frames

I've been through the forum as much as I can and can't seem to find it - how does one do this x5 crop zoom mode? A link to the location of this wisdom would certainly be enough.

Thanks

vroem

Quote from: PKVariance on May 28, 2013, 11:22:24 PM
I've been through the forum as much as I can and can't seem to find it - how does one do this x5 crop zoom mode? A link to the location of this wisdom would certainly be enough.

Thanks

Press the plus button.

PKVariance

Sorry - I didn't realize magic zoom had to be off - thank you for the tutorial.

bhursey

Seems to be working well I did a silent picture time laps pre memorial day parade while we waited. My wife wanted me to shoot standard pictures during the parade so I could not do a time laps during.. It was about a 40 min period before it started a frame ever 3 seconds.  Make sure to go to the you tube page and play in original.

Aquillum

Nice timelapse ! I tried one today on my 550D with same settings (Silent DNG / 1pic every 3sec) and did 600 pics.
But I had to throw away about 5% (32pics) cause of magenta distortion in irregular sequwnce.

My timelapse:

Distortion comparison:

Could you please tell more about the settings used in ML ?
Did you get distorted images during your timelase ?
THX

bhursey

Quote from: Aquillum on May 29, 2013, 10:37:50 PM
Nice timelapse ! I tried one today on my 550D with same settings (Silent DNG / 1pic every 3sec) and did 600 pics.
But I had to throw away about 5% (32pics) cause of magenta distortion in irregular sequwnce.

My timelapse:

Distortion comparison:

Could you please tell more about the settings used in ML ?
Did you get distorted images during your timelase ?
THX

Here was what was interesting when I went back..  I accidentally started the first series in movie mode and not with it in M mode.  So all the ones shot while the 60D was set on movie turned out fine. At the end I did another time-lapse in photo M mode and it had allot of magenta frames.  So I will try and duplicate again some time soon when I get a chance... I only used the first clip.  So try starting silent shutter while set on movie.. And then try and do it while set on M and see if you get different results.

Aquillum

Thank you, I'll try in Movie Mode again.
Maybe ETTR could also be the reason cause it kicks in by time (I hear the beep) and adjusts shutter accordingly. (Processing power?)
Of course no XMP's are written (SIlentPic Mode) but it can be treated holy grail like in post.
So I'll try to shut off ETTR also.

SoulState

How to open and convert Silent Pics DNG's??? I can't open it nor with lightroom now with ACR plugin!
It give me: "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document".

Please check the file, can you open it?
http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/18024682/file.html

bhursey

Quote from: SoulState on August 04, 2013, 12:14:44 AM
How to open and convert Silent Pics DNG's??? I can't open it nor with lightroom now with ACR plugin!
It give me: "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document".

Please check the file, can you open it?
http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/18024682/file.html

I was able to open them in after effects as a serries..  Did you try the DNG converter possibly. To re process, They also opened in Photoshop. I don't believe they will work in Lightroom.