600D/T3i Raw Video

Started by N/A, May 18, 2013, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alephone

Does anyone here have any experience with using the Ginger HDR plugin with After Effects or Premiere Pro?  The quality between the RAW imported directly into Adobe vs. the DNG imported in and rendered seems to be not as good as the DNG imported.  It just seems fuzzy, grainy  or whatever. It is pretty noticeable too.  It's a shame because it is so much easier of a workflow that way.  I'm hoping I am just doing something wrong. I have tried it with denoiser and without denoiser and it is still crappy compared to the rendered DNG method.

1%

The latest one should be good, older version was bad. The dev came on here and fixed it I believe.

jordillonch

Quote from: 1% on June 23, 2013, 12:54:06 AM
The latest one should be good, older version was bad. The dev came on here and fixed it I believe.

I'm a bit confused now, which is the latest version for RAW video? The latest Tragic Lantern here https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-2.0/downloads or the latest nightly here http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/nightly/

Thanks.

alephone

The latest RAW should be the one that 1% linked a page or so back in the thread due to not being able to upload it to bitbucket.

AriLG

Quote from: N/A on June 22, 2013, 07:32:41 AM
Weird, I have a Sandisk 95 formatted to exFat, works beautifully.

New build, 1152x496, got almost a solid minute of footage. Upscales really well to 720p (1280x552).
I have a Sandisk 95MB (32GB) formatted to exFat.

New build, 1152x482 [1:2.39] @ 25fps (640x480 + DontClickME hack) --> 45 seconds.

Are you at 24fps ?
T3i (main), T2i
------------------
It's not about accuracy,  it's about Aesthetics

far.in.out

Hey guys. Is there a chart of write speeds for Canon cameras somewhere? I wish I knew about the 600D's limitations in this regard before I bought it. Now I'm kinda disappointed (... Also, why is video cropped when shooting lower  resolutions? Isn't it possible to... Wait, I just got it, it's RAW... You can't resize it in camera... Dammit... So, is that [optimal settings chart] coming?
Also, what card would you suggest that would allow to use the potential of 600d fully but not cost too much, I feel like my current Transcend 32 GB SDHC Class 10 TS32GSDHC10 isn't up to the task... write speed wise...
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

jordillonch

Quote from: alephone on June 23, 2013, 03:26:23 AM
The latest RAW should be the one that 1% linked a page or so back in the thread due to not being able to upload it to bitbucket.

ups, I skipped that message. Thanks!

far.in.out

How do you get rid of the pinkies again?
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

N/A

Quote from: AriLG on June 23, 2013, 09:10:30 AM
I have a Sandisk 95MB (32GB) formatted to exFat.

New build, 1152x482 [1:2.39] @ 25fps (640x480 + DontClickME hack) --> 45 seconds.

Are you at 24fps ?
23.976 override, write lengths seem to vary slightly each time as well.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

MrMehh

Hey guys, i've been following the progress for a while now and i'm not technical enough to join some of the conversations going on here so I mostly read, learn and test.

Today I did some testing and I got some decent results..

~900 frames (~38 sec.) at 1216x480 (2:67:1), 640x480 mode, FPS override to 23.980, Dont click me hack, Sandisk 16GB Class 10 45mb/s. And ~550 frames at 1216x512 (2:39:1), same settings.

All in SRAW, btw.

I think we're definitely getting somewhere now.

AriLG

Quote from: N/A on June 23, 2013, 02:52:56 PM
23.976 override, write lengths seem to vary slightly each time as well.
Well, my current dream is of 1280x533 (1:2.40@25fps) for 60 seconds... dreams are not a bad thing  :)
T3i (main), T2i
------------------

alephone

Quote from: far.in.out on June 23, 2013, 02:41:04 PM
How do you get rid of the pinkies again?

My problem was fixed by just reformatting my card and that took care of them. I am only getting pink frames when I run a reso that is not one of the sweet spot resolutions.  If you change the setting in the Canon menu to the 640x480 that should eliminate most if not all of the magenta frames. It did for me.  I am getting continuous at 940x544 w/ no pink frames all the time since a few builds back.  With this new build I can go a reso or 2 higher and get a decent amount of frames with no magenta at the 640 setting and even sometimes the 1920x1080 Canon setting. It seems to be hit and miss.

jgharding

Just to let you know I actually have the Mosaic Engineering filter mentioned earlier permanently installed in the 600D

It is awesome.

It only works for 1080p mode, or anything cropped out of 1080p view, as it were, so I'm not sure how it'd work with RAW.

If the RAW streams are taken from the camera set to 1080p mode it should work. I can test with the latest build if you can point me there.

It's brilliant with the boosted bitrate and I-frame from the other thread though. at 150mbps with the filter there's amazing detail, and ISO 6400 cleans up like you wouldn't believe!

The removal of false detail and aliasing makes the whole encoding process more efficient. It's still not razor sharp, but it's like 16mm film with the right picture profile (VisionColor or similar).

Do these RAW hack builds have the GOP/bitrate adjustments from the other thread in them too? That's about to be daily use for me so I don't want to lose it...
Zeiss primes, 600D, a lot of shadow. http://www.jgharding.com

AriLG

Quote from: jgharding on June 24, 2013, 12:46:42 PM
Just to let you know I actually have the Mosaic Engineering filter mentioned earlier permanently installed in the 600D

It is awesome.

It only works for 1080p mode, or anything cropped out of 1080p view, as it were, so I'm not sure how it'd work with RAW.

It's brilliant with the boosted bitrate and I-frame from the other thread though. at 150mbps with the filter there's amazing detail, and ISO 6400 cleans up like you wouldn't believe!

The removal of false detail and aliasing makes the whole encoding process more efficient. It's still not razor sharp, but it's like 16mm film with the right picture profile (VisionColor or similar).

Well, not quite.

I purchased my unit exactly for the use of T3i and TL high bit rate (and removal - even if not entirely - of false color).

First of all, as a1ex said in another thread, the TXi is NOT meant for cropped video (which is how RAW operate). it is intended solely for 1080p footage.

As RAW is a lot of pain in post (especially if you shoot a lot of clips), I thought : what a great solution. I'll kill two birds in one go - moire/aliasing (which is awful in RAW on the tXi's - and in the cases which I shot : REALLY awful) ;  false/8 bit color (well, color - according to the videos I have seen - was a lot more "solid" on the VAF-TXi, much more closer to the RAW clips I have shot).

Unfortunately, my unit - while it SEEMS to function (haven't done tests to check if it delivers what I have bought it for) - will not let the mirror on my t3i go down upon shutdown, and gives an err. I have no idea if I can on cannot use it like that but I prefer to NOT use is like that.... which renderes my unit useless.

I also have also a t2i. on it, the mirror goes back as intended upon shutdown. but with my Tokina 11-16 (which SHOULD work) the results were not what I have seen on the net. it might be an alignment thing (which can explain the problems I have with both my cameras), but as I understand, the Mosaic guys are still checking it.

In any case, I have bought the unit solely for my t3i and I can't use it. Bummer  :-\

If my problem will be fixed, I'll try and do a real life comparison (video) between RAW on my t3i and clips shot with VAF. at the moment I still await their response.
T3i (main), T2i
------------------

a1ex

Quote from: AriLG on June 24, 2013, 02:17:14 PM
First of all, as a1ex said in another thread, the TXi is NOT meant for cropped video (which is how RAW operate).

Huh?!

AriLG

Quote from: a1ex on June 24, 2013, 02:34:02 PM
Huh?!
Ummm.... didn't you say that ? (I am sure I have seen it. was it a joke ?...)
T3i (main), T2i
------------------

a1ex

Exact link please. I don't even know what a TXi is...

AriLG

Quote from: a1ex on June 24, 2013, 02:44:47 PM
Exact link please. I don't even know what a TXi is...
Can't find it  ATM, among the mountains of data here. you started the post with a "LOL" and then said that the anti aliasing filter for the TXi family (T2i, T3i and T4i - hence the TXi) is intended only for 1080P video and not for RAW (I'll try and look for the exact link. someone asked for info on usage of the filter in conjunction with RAW).
T3i (main), T2i
------------------

a1ex

Found: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6242.msg48530#msg48530

I actually said exactly the opposite. The filter is for the 1080p video mode (the one you select in Canon menu), no matter what you do with that data (H264, mjpeg, raw).

Crop mode is when you record in x5 zoom.

So yes, the VAF filter works for raw just as well as for H264 1080p.

Think about it: if you cut an image in half in photoshop, does that influence the aliasing? (or sharpness, or softness, whatever?)

Gah...

AriLG

OK. great to hear that !  :)

So it leaves me even more frustrated with my own personal problem with the VAF-TXi   :(
T3i (main), T2i
------------------

jgharding

I don't really consider the lack of mirror drop a problem. I only use the 600D for video, so I never need the mirror, the box can stay jammed up for all I care, it functions perfectly as the tool i need it to be.

I did use the TXi filter with a 550D too, and oddly enough it used to error all the time with filter in, getting annoyed and ERRor locking up with the TXi filter in place

The 600D doesn't care about it and has been rock solid.

I can't see how the mirror physically could drop down with it in place though, as the top of the filter rests against the  bottom of the mirror, how can the mirror drop down in either model unless it isn't fitted correctly?

Back on subject, all i meant is since the filter is designed to cut the 18MP full sensor to 1080p precisely, any other type of cropping or scaling of the sensor won't benefit from the TXi filter. Only cropping from that 1080p feed with those same lines skipped.

For example, 720p scaled from the full sensor is aliased. So if raw mode is cutting a crop from the 1080p image, scaled from the sensor then it'll work, otherwise it'll look different, but not anti aliased. At least that's what I gather. But I can just test it soon.

If properly fitted in 1080p mode though, it's quite brilliant.

far.in.out

In RAW Vid menu, when u choose reso, depending on ur choice the hint at the bottom is either green or yellow... I noticed if it's green ur probably gonna get continuous rec, and if yellow it's limited in length... Is that hardcoded or there is some internal bench that determines what I can get with current set-up and card? I'm just wondering why I can't go any further then 15-16MBps... Am I missing some settings/hacks or my card is just not good enough... It tops out at 15MB when writing from PC cardreader so it's gotta be the card...
What is that don't click me hack someone mentioned here earlier?
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

fromthestage

Hello. I've been using the nightly builds and updating as they become available. On the last two releases, I noticed that when I used ETTR to set the exposure, I've been getting the error message "WHOOPS" after a period of time where the screen flashes from bright to dark. This feature was working in the version in [600D] NoUniwbCorr.zip (2013-06-12). Has anyone else noticed the same issue?

Also, has anyone had any luck setting the exposure with ETTR in raw video mode, and then turning raw video off and shooting 1080p H.264?

Thanks for everyone's hard work on ML!

AriLG

Quote from: jgharding on June 24, 2013, 08:17:43 PM
I don't really consider the lack of mirror drop a problem. I only use the 600D for video, so I never need the mirror, the box can stay jammed up for all I care, it functions perfectly as the tool i need it to be.

I did use the TXi filter with a 550D too, and oddly enough it used to error all the time with filter in, getting annoyed and ERRor locking up with the TXi filter in place
Well, I guess we are the exact opposites...

I do consider the inability of the mirror to drop as a problem as I get an ERR30 each time I shut down the camera. and I don't like it.

Back to the topic :

Will the 1024 frame size be back ?
T3i (main), T2i
------------------

jgharding

Quote from: AriLG on June 25, 2013, 05:11:54 PM
Well, I guess we are the exact opposites...

I do consider the inability of the mirror to drop as a problem as I get an ERR30 each time I shut down the camera. and I don't like it.

Back to the topic :

Will the 1024 frame size be back ?

How odd :S yes ERR30 was what I got with the 550D.

I tried some raw recording while in 1080p mode and can confirm that the filter seems to eliminate the aliasing. The only issue is the drastically dropped depth of field from the cropping. Despite the dynaimic range, it loses a lot of its DSLR punch (large sensor look)... damned compromises!

If the GOP and slice control could be added into these new builds along with RAW modules I'd be very happy! It's be nice to have the GOP and slice control in a build that also has zero sharpness and so on available...

As it is the raw capable builds have a few things that the older GOP and slice control build I'm using don't, so I have to swap BIN files to try raw, but go back to GOP and slice for general work. It'd be nice to have parity if possible... but I'm not confident building the bits together to be honest...