600D/T3i Raw Video

Started by N/A, May 18, 2013, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apefos

cannot see cpu usage while recording, the yellow caracteres showing cpu usage is under the raw rec caracteres in the recording moment...

did another record, no jumps in LCD monitoring and no magenta frames, things points these issues are related to each other.

Alia5

so... everthing as always... normal canon preview, no hack3d mode(!) but GD-ON
i got CPU of 99%-100% sometimes 97,X%... (cant check in record cuz the "raw-rec-overlay" is just above the cpu usage, just as apefos said)

GD-Off CPU is about 35-37%

apefos

cpu usage before recording shows between 38% and 43%

I am keeping the canon LV preview always ON (do not want to work blind!!!)

I disabled everything I could in the camera: autofocus, IS, exposure override, global draw is OFF, sound, fps override, focus frame, and so on... all things on both menus I could disable I did. erased other modules.

another "second" recording and no jumps in canon LV and no magenta frames... (1007 frames file)

apefos

raw recording disabled cpu is 30-32%
raw recording enabled cpu is 38-43%
(before recording)

if raw recording overlay is in bottom of screen we can see cpu usage while recording.

vicnaum

Oh! Finally! Fixed the squeeze koeff to 3:2! Thanks, waited for it.

Started getting pink frames, btw :( (even on previous build, just after saying I didn't get any for a moment :))

Alia5

just threw my littly dslr on my stone-aged tv-capture-card to show my settings... (bad color comes from the capture-card)
first and second recording after reboot... (turned pic quality to sraw before reboot, obviously)

any flickering on the cans comes from 2 crt-monitores

http://youtu.be/otDEKVmMujI

corrupt frames as numbers are cut off in the video...: GD-on #21, 458...

how i installed ml? used to 2.3 stable installer from camera, threw 1%s files on... nothing special...
other card: formatted exfat in windows, used eostool to make it bootable, thre files on it... nothing special again, shows exactly the same behaviour...

not funny defragging or stuff...

@apefos: or @anyone... could you also try like this, since i dont get any pink frames without GD...? videomode or even photo-mode doesn`t matter.

1%

Same story here.. as long as GD off everything is OK.

So to preview I would GD off and just leave the LV on.. it cuts your write but not as much as other modes. You can also cheat and use 640x480 to preview... that YUV is actually smaller so less effect on write speed.

Grayscale preview at rest (ml previews) will be the same CPU as writing, when you see the jump pink/corrupt frame. I can see it flash red sometimes between over draws when recording too. Grayscale preview is made with the CPU and uses GD.

I just have zebras/histo on and its this high.

Funny on 6D cpu usage can't be measured but grayscale nor GD affect write too much... maybe lose like 1MB or less at worst. This is why a1ex took LV killing off of regular hacked mode... but on digic IV its bad news. I'll see how 50D does, expecting something in the middle between this and digic V.

apefos

Thanks @Alia5

My first shoot is always corrupt, but second shoot and others are OK
My settings are similar, but other things disabled...
I do not use fps override, I set 1920x1080 24p in Canon menu.
I used 11,988 fps override to record 1344x768 without skip frames, and 37.8fps override in 768x432 no skip also
It seems your card is slow, I can record 20.8MB/s 960x544 @23,976 fps and no skip frames in 4gb file.
I use Sandisk Extreme 32GB 45MB/s, this card performance is perfect for RAW.

From last install (Squeeze build) until now things are ok for me (from second shoot and so on...)
It seems first raw shoot is something like "heating the tires" in F1 first round drive...

Alia5

bad news, yeah... but i'm pretty happy with wich we already got... have 14-bit raw-video! yeah its cropped but we have to deal with it...
workflow works pretty well for me... instead of color-grading we now just develop some raw files, not a big deal at all...

@apefos: strange that your first record is broken and mine not...
well my card can also get up to that speed, but i need to kill LV :( my other card however can only reach up to 10.9MB/s

apefos

My first shoot is corrupt when I leave Canon LV on

I did a try with canon LV off (hacked no preview) and the first shoot was ok

but I need LV, I cannot work blind!

1%

Corrupt frames on first shoot with 640x480 too?

Viente

I've got 156 frames with 1280x544 without any magenta frames at all...
Not sure why..

Anyway going to start saving money for 5Dm3  :)

vicnaum

Btw, shoot something today, and noticed that the first frame of the video is the same as the last frame from previous video. Dunno, maybe it's RAWanizer messing something up, can check tomorrow again with raw2dng.

apefos

Did another sequence of tests:

By first shoot I mean the first time you hit record after turn the camera on.

When canon menu is in 1920 x 1080 24p, the first shoot is always corrupt. I did a test moving the camera during the shoot and I can say for sure the magenta frames happens in the same moment when there is a jump in image monitoring in LV while recording.

In 1920 x 1080 24p the second shoot is always ok.

The first shoot is ok when using hacked mode - no preview.

Thanks for the advice about 640x480 preview. I did set the Canon menu to 640 x 480 25p and fps override to 24p. So I reboot the camera and start recording 960 x 544 @ 24p and there was no jump in Canon LV monitoring and no magenta frames in the first shoot. No skip frames also.

It seems things are perfect now!!!

apefos

more tests using Canon menu set to 640 x 480 25p:

768 x 432 (16:9) @ 37,698 fps (actual fps from 40 fps override) working ok (great for slow motion) 250% scale to fit fullhd, 167% scale to fit 1280. If 37,698 is too much, try 35 fps override.

960 x 544 (16:9) @ 24 fps working ok, best 16:9, 134% scale to fit 1280 (133,33% scale) or 200% scale to fil fullhd

1344 x 768 (16:9) @ 12fps working ok, best highest resolution for 600d, uses almost all the sensor area, 12fps can turn to 24fps in post... also allows a small crop to delete borders to get 1280 x 720 after processing to 24fps, no scaling needed for 1280, 150% scale to fit fulld considering border crop to remove border artifacts after converting to 24p

apefos

I have a request which will be usefull for everybody:

The overlays are inside the 1344 x 768 frame,  so changing it from three lines for two lines and put it a little more up to be above the 1344 x 768 frame. (I would like to use the frame at center to use the center of the lens)

change this:

Buffer usage: <**.>
Capturing frame 765...
M01-1748.RAW 833 MB, 19.3 MB/s

to this, (and a little more above the 1344 x 768 frame):

Buffer usage: <**.>   Capturing frame 765...
M01-1748.RAW 833MB, 19.3 MB/s

or put these two lines design below the 1344 x 768 frame

thanks

apefos

I also have a request to enable 1280 x 400 in 3,2:1 aspect ratio and 832 x 624 in 4:3 aspect ratio
(maximum resolution for these widths considering the data rate)

thanks

1%

I'm hoping first shoot might be fixed now :)

N/A

Quote from: 1% on June 01, 2013, 11:05:55 PM
I'm hoping first shoot might be fixed now :)
Awesome stuff, thanks for enabling us lowly 600D users to experience the joys of raw.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

1%

Also made canon preview turn off global draw when recording. Might make an actual preview mode usable.

apefos

Allocate Fix build feedback:

same behavior as before shooting 960 x 544:

if canon menu is set to 1920x1080 24p the first shoot is corrupt and second shoot is ok

if canon menu is set to 640 x 480 25p and fps override set to 24p, first shoot is ok

secret is already found: 640 x 480 25p in canon menu + fps override = no more magenta frames!!!

another feedback: global draw was not turned off while recording. I need to turn it of in ML menu

1%

First shoot still corrupt with GD off 1080P? Wasn't for me.

apefos

I replaced the bin and the mo in my card with the alocatte fix version. Maybe my camera is still loading the old one? Is this possible?

I can see a color bar showing the memory when I click Q to see the malloc total.

apefos

I think we do not need to worry so much about magenta frames anymore, setting canon menu to 640 x 480 25p and fps override to 24p is enough to solve this issue, at least in the last hours no more magenta frames with these settings.

also auto hide global draw is not so much important, we can disable it in the ml menu.

what about to take a look at the requests I did in last posts? will help a lot. thanks

1%

Height is calculated... I can't add a different height, you have 4:3 already.. I dunno about 3.2:1?

You mean combine buffer with frame count? I'll try but they constantly redraw so we'll see if it looks "interesting" or right.