600D/T3i Raw Video

Started by N/A, May 18, 2013, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N/A

Quote from: apefos on May 31, 2013, 12:04:12 AM
"Are the corrupt frames on every raw video you shoot? I still get corrupt frames but only on the first raw video I shoot after start-up."

I don't believe we should think this way. A reliable system must record correctly since the first shoot and no failures, never.

And there is no time to keep watching every shoot in the set.

Imagine the situation you are paying two actors and one crew assistant for a day work (a minimum situation)... plus transport and food... how many money will you loose if you get magenta frames in an important shoot? for a low budget project, failures must be avoided!

And what about a wedding? there is no replay in a wedding...

The RAW video in Canon DSLR is promissing, but at this moment it is just a toy... We are in early Canon raw days... I believe the developers will find a way to make it reliable enough for serious production,

Trust me, I know all about reliability. My point was, they need specifics about bugs to address them properly. Its hard to tell if raw rec will ever be reliable for paid work, especially on our sd-only cameras.

Not to mention, we get what we pay for  ;)
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

1%

Yea, I dunno whats up with the first boot shot... it gets less frames for me too. First time 960x540 stops... second time continuous. I think something with allocation is amiss.

Either way we need way more than 31*30*28 to get reliable... a bigger buffer will do much to fix some of this.

Viente

I can squeeze 10 more frames with new build in 1280x544. Can now shoot 156 frames :)

educosan

There's no way the hakers break the limit of 21 mb / s?

1%

Only hacking the WFT interface might yield more MB.

Otherwise its like asking if we can make your USB1.0 as fast as USB2.0

robrock_68

I shot for over 50 seconds in 1080 (canon settings) at 1120x468 2.39:1. First shot no magenta at all. Rock solid... Second through fourth shots progressively got worse, and shorter. Fresh format (exFat) using EOScard, with stable 2.3 and the newest files from 1% as of the morning on the 30th.

The magenta issue seems to be getting worse on my T3i, and I have had no consistency as far as shot reliability. The best luck I had was in 720 mode at 1320x400. a little moire and aliasing, but fantastic dynamic range. then something odd happened. Every other file would read 1320x544, and when played back after importinig into AE, the image would roll like a film projector with a bad film gate. I've tried the 480 mode with several settings with no luck as far as magenta frames, or usable record times. sRAW, hacks on and off. same outcomes. Any thoughts?

CFP

Thank you very much 1%.

The new resolutions are working very good :D

JohnBarlow

For me 960H x 960V @12fps  seems to be the sweet spot at about 18MBs. Twixtor is your friend :)

a 1080H x 960V @12fps would make more efficient use of bandwidth coming in just under the threshold for SD controller.

Of course these are for scope uses

apefos

I understood the new resolutions in the NewSizing build as an attempt to make things more stable using multiples of 64 or at least multiples of 32. Interesting idea.

I got that behavior other members was talking about: first shoot after formatting with magenta frames, other shoots no magenta frames... I hope we can trust the magenta frames will happens just in the first shoot... It seems everytime when I turn camera on the first shoot is corrupt also...

When I try to record more than 4GB in Fat32 card I get the WinRAR file as a spanning when file reaches 4GB, but when I extract the DNG files using the RAR file drag over raw2dng.exe in computer, all generated DNG are corrupt...

would be interesting idea to enable an option in raw menu to choose:
-allow recording over 4GB
or
-stop recording when file reaches 4GB
(Record over 4GB: on / off) (default off)

also I suggest to make HaCKeD mode off as default, LCD monitoring is needed.

Would be good to see the feature to choose which file to playback enabled again.

I found an issue, but I do not know if it has relationship with the magenta frames. Sometimes the image preview monitoring in the LCD shows some jumps, something like frames was skip in preview... maybe camera is not fast enough to show all frames in the LCD monitoring while recording raw... Sometines this happens, sometimes not... I did not observe if when it happens, if it is in the same moment of magenta frames...

I suggest enable 832 x 608 resolution (useful for anamorphic work), because 832 x 640 is skipping frames.

apefos

Would it be possible to make a build with these feature all together?

Video File (to choose wich raw file to playback (from the Still Sprinkle Free build)
Remove the file_man module and make the record stops automatically at 4GB and save the file (for Fat32 cards)
make hacked mode off as default
resolutions from the New Sizing build (with 832 x 608 for anamorphic)
103M malloc 31M+30M+28M from the New Sizing build
make 960x544 the default resolution when we enable the raw rec module

for now these are the best things

thanks

1%

I made 960 default in the next one. Can't chose resolutions that aren't multiples of 64 anymore.

If you use exfat it shouldn't do the spanning. I haven't tested as all my cards are exfat + 64GB. A1ex just tried another fix again. Maybe newer one will do it better. Did you combine all the files before doing raw2dng?

If you want LCD monitoring just turn hacked mode off when you go pick the resolution. I put it on by default because I got tired of turning it on. I got pink frames if I left it on. Since I've been shooting it with it I got no pink frames.

I have to see what size chunk its using for the double and make sure its not using a 32/31MB one.

QuoteI've tried the 480 mode with several settings with no luck as far as magenta frames, or usable record times. sRAW, hacks on and off. same outcomes. Any thoughts?

I haven't had this happen, how fast is the card?

Going to try less aggressive allocation on this camera and see if it helps since now its not eating memory away. 6D is fine with 4MB backup. If pink frames got worse some maybe this is why.

apefos

thanks or the answers

please how can I combine the files before doing the raw2dng.exe?

I did a double click on the RAR file but it does not open in WinRar.

apefos

It seems after a format and reinstall you can't change the bin and modules more than once, because all shoots starts to get magenta frames again and again.

JohnBarlow

In that case can you provide 1088H x 960V

thanks
Quote from: 1% on May 31, 2013, 03:32:29 PM
I made 960 default in the next one. Can't chose resolutions that aren't multiples of 64 anymore.

JohnBarlow

Forgot to add that camera is shooting slightly wider than the indicated crop in 960x960 mode

1%

There is 1088 already. 1088 x 832 is the closest. I'd have to add another aspect ratio.

I just shot 2k frames 960x480 and not a single pink frame... also hacked LV stopped bouncing.

CFP

Quote from: 1% on May 31, 2013, 04:11:55 PM
There is 1088 already. 1088 x 832 is the closest. I'd have to add another aspect ratio.

I just shot 2k frames 960x480 and not a single pink frame... also hacked LV stopped bouncing.
I shot 10 Gigabyte of 1088 X 480 and 1280 X 720 (At 12 frames per second), not one single magenta frame.
Used May31 Nightly Build and "New Sizing".

You're doing a great work :D

apefos

would it be possible a hacked mode which let the LCD live view monitoring working? hack other things and allow us to see what we are recording.

1%

I kill the LV/HD edmac(pair) and face + some 2K wide edmac. I can kill the last 2 only some way with a setting but IMO the most resource use is from those YUV buffers. Its not just that they make the edmac slower/busy, they interfere with the edmac we are using.

Ideally we need to find another edmac # to use... some stuff got faster when I picked that used edmac. Including rectangle copy. This one is free but may be gimpy.  Need to make some sort of looped tester that tries each one and then runs speed test.

apefos

ok, good ideas! try it, we need to see what we are recording!

also, as I said, give us a option to record stops automatically when reaches 4GB (spanning must be an option for Fat32 users)
Stop Rec at 4GB: on/off

please do not erase the 960 x 544 resolution, keep it, or keep the 960 x 540. this is the best raw thing from this camera.

a1ex

You can try enabling the grayscale preview at very low FPS; it's likely to have near zero impact on the recording speed, since it uses the CPU which is probably idle.

JohnBarlow

I found that other vertical resolutions than 960 gives more moire (dont know why)

so 1088 x 960 would be good even if a new aspect ratio to replace the 9:16 which I cant see a use for

Thanks

Quote from: 1% on May 31, 2013, 04:11:55 PM

1%

960 is good, 83something is good. I think I added all x*64.

I know you need to see what you're shooting but whats the point if its all magenta/corrupt?

A1ex is trying to fix the spanning, should be good in the next one; 5d2 guy said it works. Just combine the files into one with file utilities or hex editor. Everyone w/xfat doesn't have this problem and recording 10-20gb files.

Quoteu can try enabling the grayscale preview at very low FPS

So this previews from the raw buffer? That seems like a good option to add for everyone, not just in 5X. Would be a middle ground between blind&fast + seeing if people step out of frame,etc. Hacked mode is turning off GD tho, won't make a difference?

apefos

Black and White live view @ 8fps or 12 fps would be ok for monitoring, framing and focusing while recording!

Less than 8fps is useless, 12fps is better for real time focusing!

a1ex

12fps? you are dreaming :D

1-2 fps is more likely...