600D/T3i Raw Video

Started by N/A, May 18, 2013, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFP

Quote from: y3llow on May 29, 2013, 02:41:51 PM
A quick question I've asked on the 550d thread but no answer, should we be shooting in video mode or photo mode with 550D and 600d cams, does it make any difference?
It doesn't make any difference in picture quality and it should make no difference in performance. But in photo mode you can't set ISO, aperture and shutter speed manually. Sure, you can change the numbers but the actual aperture doesn't move if you change the number on the display.

So: For manual exposure control, record in Movie Mode.

Alia5

Or you just turn exposure-override on ;)

vicnaum

The new "[600D] New.zip" build now works okay, without any "File create" error. Thanks!

1%

We got one regression. nanomad made gui-common.c for all cameras but forgot the zoom shortcut for 600D... so its still in the tweaks menu but gone from the file that actually does the work.

I fixed voice tags... its missing the press event on this camera too and had to use unpress.

CFP

Quote from: Alia5 on May 29, 2013, 06:25:14 PM
Or you just turn exposure-override on ;)
Right. I've totally forgot that feature since I used it only two times.

N/A

Can we just completely get rid of the stock firmware or modes and have a ML build to run everything from?

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Datadogie

Just did a quick test on two SD cards I have.

This is from my (new)
Transend SDHC UHS-I class 10

Write speed------18.5MB/s
Read  speed------21.0MB/s
Write speed------16.2MB/s
Read  speed------20.0MB/s
Write speed------18.5MB/s
Read  speed------21.1MB/s
Write speed------17.1MB/s
Read  speed------20.6MB/s
Write speed------19.1MB/s
Read  speed------21.2MB/s

Avg write speed--17.9MB/s
Avg read  speed--20.8MB/s

960 x 360  24fps   Estimate Avg 13.9MB/s

MY MEMORY.COM class 10
Write speed------14.7MB/s
Read  speed------19.2MB/s
Write speed------12.2MB/s
Read  speed------18.5MB/s
Write speed------15.4MB/s
Read  speed------19.7MB/s
Write speed------13.2MB/s
Read  speed------19.7MB/s
Write speed------15.6MB/s
Read  speed------19.5MB/s

Avg write speed--14.2MB/s
Avg read  speed--19.3MB/s

960 x 360  24fps   Estimate Avg 12.5MB/s

I was expecting to record a larger frame
with the faster card.
But no.

Why should there be a different reading
for the two SD cards when they are both
recording the same frame size?
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

educosan

hello! I wonder if with a SD 120 mb / s would to improve the resolution of raw video for greater qulidade possible?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005025ZXK

N/A

Quote from: educosan on May 29, 2013, 09:21:41 PM
hello! I wonder if with a SD 120 mb / s would to improve the resolution of raw video for greater qulidade possible?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005025ZXK
Whoa, never seen thise before. But no, sd card controller in the cameras is limited to ~21MB/s. Sandisk makes a 95 MB/s card for way cheaper anyway with great build quality. Maybe in a year or two...

Dugdale

I've been playing around with ML raw on my 600D, just thought I would share my speed tests if it helps the ML team:

SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s 32GB

Write speed------20.7MB/s
Read  speed------20.9MB/s
Write speed------19.4MB/s
Write speed------21.1MB/s
Read  speed------21.3MB/s

Dave Dugdale
LearningDSLRVideo.com

deleted.account

Quote from: CFP on May 29, 2013, 03:42:56 PM
It doesn't make any difference in picture quality and it should make no difference in performance. But in photo mode you can't set ISO, aperture and shutter speed manually. Sure, you can change the numbers but the actual aperture doesn't move if you change the number on the display.

So: For manual exposure control, record in Movie Mode.

Ok, good to know and to be aware of the photo mode restrictions. I've always shot fully manual in every respect prior to testing the raw features. Thanks again.

deleted.account

Quote from: Dugdale on May 29, 2013, 10:35:31 PM
I've been playing around with ML raw on my 600D, just thought I would share my speed tests if it helps the ML team:

SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s 32GB

Read  speed------20.9MB/s
Write speed------19.4MB/s
Write speed------21.1MB/s
Read  speed------21.3MB/s

Dave Dugdale
LearningDSLRVideo.com

Yes, I get 21.5MB/s max from that card also, it's enough for 960x540 at 2.35:1 (960x408) without dropped frames. But the limitation is the SD controller in the T2i / T3i etc.

1%

photo mode it will probably fake aperture/shutter via expo sim which you can't turn off.

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Hello everybody!
Thanks for the help 1% and CFP!
I can record 4GB in 940x540 23,976 fps now.
I'm shooting anamorphic [Senkor 16D], with this resolution and then interpolating algorithm with S-Spline or Lanczos ... is simply stunning!
Anyway, I get up to 4GB 1280x426 nonstop too.

Some points: keep failing formatting in exFAT. Do not know if it's a physical limitation, or is it just my ignorance [most likely  :P ]. I'm using the HDD for low-level formatting, and then creating the location with Win8. After that, I run the EOSCard [in Pelican site] and I copy the folders to Boot... but I get nothing, it does not recognize.

Report bug: I made a photographic output this morning and I forgot to do the unload module. I ended up receiving all black frames CR2. So if you are shooting, do not forget to turn off the modules!

Thank you again!
[sorry for my bad english]

1%

Latest is fat32 compatible again. 4gb should be split up into chunks.

Drewton

Noob to this whole thing, installed Magic Lantern and RAW to my camera for the first time today.

Highest resolution I've recorded at so far is 1440x602 (2.39:1) which looks fantastic. Everything's normal except when I start recording, I can't see anything that's filming, it just freezes on the screen. And I can't seem to have any image size that doesn't start majorly skipping multiple frames after 5 seconds. My card is 30 mbps, and I didn't think that was bad since it will only do 21 mbps anyway. Are either of these problems normal with the T3i?

N/A

Turn off hack3d mode lol

1%, how about hack3d mode being off on startup, or labeled like-

Hack3d (LV freeze)

Drewton

Ah thanks. Still skipping a ton of frames but at least I can see what I'm shooting.

N/A

Try lower aspects. 1120x462 is max continuous for me, or 960x540 works well too.

Drewton

I've tried lower than that and still can't get continuous. It can drop 20 frames at a time.

Quick comparison of H.264 and RAW. Notice the details on the blue towel and wooden block.

[spoiler]H.264:

RAW:
[/spoiler]

andjarnic

Hi all,

Just found out about this latest update and wow..that is amazing that these cameras can now record RAW of any sort.

Couple questions.. first.. any chance for any sort of RAW compression to help squeeze better res? I would suspect not given the limited processing power of the camera?

Let's say the t3i can't do better than 960x540.. with RAW quality, would uprezzed to 1920x1080 look good or not so good? I would suspect the 4x increase would make it look worse than H.264.

I am also an owner of the Shuttle 2, and using the HDMI out with uncompressed clean (using ML).. would you advise to record that way at the 1620x1080 (then resize and upconvert for 1080p) over shotting the RAW and enlarging?

Lastly, any chance that we'll get a full 1080p clean HDMI out some day?

Drewton

20 frames dropping after about 50 frames on 960x540, even frames dropping at a pathetic 322p. I'm using a SanDisk 64GB 30 mb/s, but it's recording 12 mb/s. I've seen other people doing better. So the card matters?

andjarnic

The card does matter. Many cards "claim" various read/write speeds but often aren't close to what they claim. This is one reason Black Magic has for example a small list of SSDs that they've tested on their devices, and I proved them right by trying to use a couple other SSDs that were "faster" than the ones they support, that didn't work. I suspect your card may not write near the 30mbs. The cards that seem to be top speed are often the more expensive ones. I've got a Lexar SDXC 64GB with 133x write speed, class 10, I suspect won't be fast enough. I am guessing for the T2/3/4i the 400x should be fast enough, although I wish they'd stick to one rating or another.. like 30mbps or 100x, instead of both. Kind of confusing. I never know what 133x means short of it supposedly means 133 times faster than the slowest SD card.

I am hoping the T3i will get up to 1280x720 RAW in the near future and ultimately 1080p, at which time I'll see how it works on my 133x and probably purchase a more expensive one.

I haven't checked to see if there is a thread yet on what SD/SDXC cards work continuously, but this is so new, I think it's probably best to wait until it's considered near stable to put up a list of cards that work, as I suspect some that work now may not work as well once it gets near stable.

Drewton

Wow, and I thought I had a good card. Didn't know it was this much of a rip-off before. My Sandisk card is averaging 10 mb/s when it should be 3x that. And yeah, I hope they would just use the mb/s.

Just did another RAW vs. H.264 comparison, and this is the biggest difference I've seen between the two yet. Exact same lighting conditions and exact same camera settings, but the RAW version is at least 10x better.

You can tell the difference even more in motion, because even though the ISO is only at 120 the H.264's blurred out background looks just blocky and bad because of the compression. While the RAW version is smooth and natural looking. This is definitely worth getting a new SD Card for.

AriLG

I have some questions :

1) The resulting dng I get are not clean when I open them up in ACR (of Cineform Studio) ie. they have a green "tint" (or red - depends on what program I am opening the dng's with). why is that ? I see the everyone here displays a "regular" picture...

2) in ACR, the file says : 8bit (on the info line). shouldn't it be like 14bit ?

3) in ACR, how do you turn on the thumbnail display (to the left) so one can synchronize all the photos ?

Noob questions, I know.... but it's hard following everything that goes around here. so, bare with me :-)
T3i (main), T2i
------------------
It's not about accuracy,  it's about Aesthetics