600D/T3i Raw Video

Started by N/A, May 18, 2013, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Huh... who thought Canon would scan the full 3:2 frame when they struggle with line skipping to keep with the high fps...

Anyway, this has to be hardcoded somewhere; can't be solved in a portable way...

vicnaum

Quote from: a1ex on May 27, 2013, 10:41:00 PM
Huh... who thought Canon would scan the full 3:2 frame when they struggle with line skipping to keep with the high fps...

Yup. Well who knows, maybe scanning the full sensor, skipping half of the lines is faster, than cropping the 16:9 region from sensor...

N/A

Don't know why I didn't think of this before but the cropmarks that are already included in ML work well with scope ratio. A couple more for different aspects would be handy too.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Problems for me developers. Maybe someone can help me here:

• New modules can not run (no load);
• I can only 65-64 frames with 960x540 resolution. My card accuses constant speed of 20.8-21.3Mb/s (Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s). I'm in 1920x1080; [until then I recorded continuously 960x540]
• With exFAT formatting the firmware is not recognized and can not upload.

Someone answers the reason for at least some of these problems? I attend most of the forum, but I am following all the conversations and following my tests in parallel.

[sorry my english]

1%

Try a module together with a bin and modules go in ML folder not root.

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Quote from: 1% on May 28, 2013, 03:13:07 AM
Try a module together with a bin and modules go in ML folder not root.

Yes, I do, but does not run correctly.
I was continually 960x540, but now nothing but 64 frames.

Settings (wrong?):

- Mode 1920x1080;
- "Module [600D] Lock.zip Aspect" to "kill raw_rec.mo edmac res +" (renamed and replaced). This module is the only one that works;
- Hacked activated mode;
- Resolution: 960x540;
- Override FPS: 23,976
- Pic Qyality: RAW
- Global Draw Off.

Also, a note: from what I've read, the ML does not run with exFAT. The lease was developed exFAT pala Microsoft in 2006 to replace the FAT32 had some problems. If it was created, leads me to believe that you have the same encoding. Why did not he run?

1%

Pic Quality. Raw, I bet you have 1 or 2 buffer stars

QuoteAlso, a note: from what I've read, the ML does not run with exFAT.

It does.. you have to format <32gb cards out of "spec", so no SD formatter. All SDXC are xfat.

zim9000

Never mind this as I did not know this was normal.  -  "Bug I have found with the latest "Still sprinkle free."  When hacked mode is on my screen locks up and starts shaking back and forth.  It continues to record and I can stop it but it happens every time hacked mode is enabled.  Using a SanDisk 30 MB/s 16gb card."

Otherwise I seem to be able to achieve continues recording with (16:9) 944x532.  At least to 1000 frames when I stop it manually.  At 960x540 I make it just past 500 and then it stops.  Thanks guys!

vicnaum

Quote from: zim9000 on May 28, 2013, 05:34:42 AM
Bug I have found with the latest "Still sprinkle free."  When hacked mode is on my screen locks up and starts shaking back and forth.  It continues to record and I can stop it but it happens every time hacked mode is enabled.  Using a SanDisk 30 MB/s 16gb card.

That's what the hacking mode is all about - freezing live-view to gain speed, so it's normal.

zim9000

Quote from: vicnaum on May 28, 2013, 06:34:51 AM
That's what the hacking mode is all about - freezing live-view to gain speed, so it's normal.

Ahhhh!  Haha, alrighty.  Never tried it until now....so yeah thanks for the heads up.  :)

Edgar Matos

Hi guys

I have been running with the same issues as everybody. Pink frames, pink frames... and... Pink frames! AH for God sake! pink frames everywhere! Still, it sounds negative, but I'm happy just to try. I managed to get the clean frames and make a short video.     Link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2qrlV4S27s

I know that a lot of you have cards faster that 20MB/s , but even if that's the limit, the camera is having problems recording at 15MB/s.
I have the champagne ready for when 12 and 10bits allow us to fix this issues. Until then My name is crash dummy #63

apefos

The magic lantern team is known to be tireless in making canon cameras rocks. I am sure you all are doing your best for raw.

So here is a list of widths wich are close to the maximum resolution 600D can handle without skip frames or magenta frames in 16:9

856, 854, 852, 850, 848, 846, 844, 842, 840, 838, 836, 834, 832, 830, 828, 826, 824, 822, 820, 816

a tip would be to start from the highest values and go decreasing until find which one works good.

many thanks

vicnaum

Quote from: apefos on May 28, 2013, 12:39:31 PM
The magic lantern team is known to be tireless in making canon cameras rocks. I am sure you all are doing your best for raw.

So here is a list of widths wich are close to the maximum resolution 600D can handle without skip frames or magenta frames in 16:9

856, 854, 852, 850, 848, 846, 844, 842, 840, 838, 836, 834, 832, 830, 828, 826, 824, 822, 820, 816

a tip would be to start from the highest values and go decreasing until find which one works good.

many thanks

I guess only implementing the custom resolution (at least for testing period) can make everyone happy :)

Viente

Hi everyone! First of all thanks ML team (and special thanks to1% for porting to 600D) for RAW video. I've been using ML in the past for a long time. But now i'm really excited for RAW possibilities so i decided to register!

Ok, i've tested it on my 600D with Sandisk Extreme 95.

I've got about 6 seconds in 1280x544 res which is nice for my needs :) Awesome!

But during the testing period i've came across some questions

1) Does the different resolution also affect global quality of the image? Or its just the size of crop from the sensor with the same quality for every resolution mode?

2) Is it important to use neutral picture styles now?

3) Is there any difference to use 640x480 vs 1920x1080 canon resolution modes?

I'll very appreciate any answers

P.S. I'm going to upload some test footage soon :)

1%

If you kill LV you shouldn't' get any pink frames... if you don't then I dunno. I've been recording in 24P and in 640x480.

Picture styles don't apply... only black level/wb/iso gain.

CFP

@ Luiz Roberto dos Santos:

1) Make sure that your file structure looks like this:

- SD-Card
---- ML
------ MODULES
---------- MAGIC.SYM
---------- raw_rec.mo

2) Set "Pic Quality" to "SRAW" and reboot your camera. After that you should be able to record longer in 960 X 540.

3) If you want to bypass the 4 Gigabyte files size limit, format your SD-card as exFat in Windows. Then use EOScard to make it bootable again.

And for those of you that are still getting magenta frames: You're doing something wrong. I've recorded 1000 frames in 960 X 540 and only 24 of them were magenta. In my opinion that's totally acceptable. And that was even with LiveView ...

Btw. @ 1%: Is there a way to get our 104 Megabyte shoot_malloc back? Edmac Popin was much better than the current build in terms of what was possible. I think it had the best performence until now ... :D

1%

We have to ask a1ex, he made the change. Also voice tags is broken globally.

a1ex

apefos

excelent to see the 800 and 848 widths in the new build.

I could not record yet, when I press rec button, a message blinks once in LCD "File create error", how to fix this?

also, what is the another module,  file_man ?

thanks

dfent77

I'm getting the file create error too.

1%

There was a change... I think when memory was aligned to 4kb.. suddenly had only 144MB shoot malloc on 6D and only 9X on 600D..

File create error I dunno, fat32 card? Its working fine here thats how I tested 800 resolutions.

* also probably on fat32 long file names aren't supported? I disabled that check since it works on xfat.

apefos

I think would be a good idea to make things works on fat32 cards also.

I use the same cards on 600D and on GH2, and I keep ML on cards all the time and no problem using the same card in both cameras, so fat32 is important for me, and maybe for many others.

CFP

Quote from: a1ex on May 28, 2013, 05:29:08 PM
What change?
The size of shoot_malloc total used to be 104 Megabyte and suddenly it's only 96 Megabyte ...
That's a really small difference but the performance seems to suffer a lot.

I would really appreciate it if you could increase it again. Maybe even more than before? :D

1%

The LV takes up like 300+ MB... it divides memory into work units (I guess chunks) and sees how many free there are. I can't find where it allocates memory, just checks that free shoot_malloc pool and seems to allocate some then dealocate at startup... I've tried a bunch of ways to make it work :(

We can't even close to compete with 50D/5D2 and even 60D.. they all have close to 200MB.

Fat32 doesn't work for >4gb H264 and 600D can't slice it. So not good FS to use overall. GH2 supports xfat too I think.

CFP

Quote from: 1% on May 28, 2013, 07:35:33 PM
We can't even close to compete with 50D/5D2 and even 60D.. they all have close to 200MB.
With its optimal "Pic Quality" setting (Like "SRAW" on the 600D) the 50D has 220 Megabyte shoot_malloc total and the 60D has even 276 Megabyte! At least that's what I've read.