600D/T3i Raw Video

Started by N/A, May 18, 2013, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N/A

Sandisk 95, it is pricey but the compatibility/reliability benefits are worth it.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Andy600

Quote from: robrock_68 on May 26, 2013, 12:58:10 AM
I've been using ML for over a year, but some of the settings are a little harder to find than before. No offense taken. The thing that is confusing me is I read that "so and so" used 640x480 mode, 1280x720 mode, and so on while trying high resolution raw cappture. I'm familiar with all video standards in general, but some of the posts are a tad confusing. I've been shooting professionally since 1984.

I misunderstood your question earlier. My apologies :)

When others are referring to the modes they mean they are shooting raw but video mode (normal Canon video mode) is set to 720p or 1080p etc. In 720p it will line skip and the image will look squashed in a similar way to anamorphic but squashed vertically as opposed to horizontally. You can correct this by multiplying the height by x1.66 but leave the width the same. This is more prone to aliasing but means you save a little on filesize (i.e. get more frames/time or be able to shoot a wider frame). 1080p and 480p will appear in a normal aspect ratio. The video size does not correspond to the raw video size. You set that independently in the raw_rec module.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

robrock_68

Quote from: Andy600 on May 26, 2013, 02:22:30 AM
I misunderstood your question earlier. My apologies :)

When others are referring to the modes they mean they are shooting raw but video mode (normal Canon video mode) is set to 720p or 1080p etc. In 720p it will line skip and the image will look squashed in a similar way to anamorphic but squashed vertically as opposed to horizontally. You can correct this by multiplying the height by x1.66 but leave the width the same. This is more prone to aliasing but means you save a little on filesize (i.e. get more frames/time or be able to shoot a wider frame). 1080p and 480p will appear in a normal aspect ratio. The video size does not correspond to the raw video size. You set that independently in the raw_rec module.

Gotcha, thanks a bunch. Not sure I like the crop of the raw, but will be trying other lenses to see what I can get. I get good record times on the low res side, but need to try a reformat to see if I can eek out a little more speed on the card. Oddly, the camera shuts down as if I'm not shooting at all. Guess I need to modify my power saving settings or something.

robrock_68

Okay, RAWanizer doesn't work for me, I've posted on the other thread with the error I get. Is there another option for windows that doesn't have these issues? I would hate to build a linux box just for converting video files.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm pretty savvy with computers.

Raw plays back choppy and in black and white on the camera.

apefos

Just to say I did some tests in the full hd pc monitor and I found the raw image quality is pretty good in resolution, colors and grade, and the upscaling works good until 250% (2,5x the original size). I did a 250% scale in the image looking to face, landscape, building and I liked the results. more than this enlargement the image does not look good to the eye. also i want to say the 200% (2x) enlargement is just great!

so to fill the 1920 pixels monitor, the smallest width to record would be 768 because 1920 / 768 = 2,5

this way, 768, 784, 816, 854, 888, 920, 944, 960 will be usefull for sure, to each user find the maximum resolution possible without skip frames for his camera/card combo.

N/A

jordillonch

First of all: THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Here you can see my first test with this settings:

Video mode: Canon 640x480@30fps.
Lens: Canon EF-50mm f1,8 II.
SD Card: Sandisk Extreme 30 MB/s.

Magic Lantern:
- Shooting: sRAW
- FPS Override on: 24fps
- Resolution: 960x402

The video stops because of buffer problems after a few seconds, I think it's because of the low speed of the SD card. I'll try it with faster cards.

RAW converted using raw2dng_batchelor.exe, frames edited with Camera Raw and merged with After Effects.

robrock_68

Finally!!!!! Getting great quality, no magenta. Getting happy  ;D

robrock_68

Quote from: apefos on May 25, 2013, 09:19:28 PM
I installed everything again carefully and now things are working ok for 640 x 640 in my Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s (I have three of these so I would like to avoid buy another card) It works for 960 x 402 also, but does not work for 920 x 518 (skip frames), so...

Fingers crossed for the 854 x 480 because it is the same datarate of 640 x 640, my only hopes for 16:9 now !!!

where do I find these resolutions. I only have the originals mentioned previously, and cant seem to fine the files to enable these other resolutions

N/A

Robrock, go to the first post of this thread, to the link where you get TL 2.0. Download the top two on the page, paste the contents of "aspect lock" onto your card, then replace the existing raw_rec module with the new one (edmac kill, have to rename it to just raw_rec.mo).

Anstech

Hope this isn't too much of a noobish question - a link would be appreciated if it's in the existing posts and I've just missed it in my searching:

Is anyone working on 'column skipping' - i.e. writing only alternate pixel values on the horizontal lines to reduce bandwidth requirement while keeping non-cropped image circle?

Aliasing issues I can see would exist, but it would be a useful option for several scenarios I can think of.

Just wondering, thank you!

robrock_68

Quote from: N/A on May 27, 2013, 01:38:49 AM
Robrock, go to the first post of this thread, to the link where you get TL 2.0. Download the top two on the page, paste the contents of "aspect lock" onto your card, then replace the existing raw_rec module with the new one (edmac kill, have to rename it to just raw_rec.mo).

Got it, thanks a bunch

N/A

vicnaum

Quote from: Anstech on May 27, 2013, 01:57:49 AM
Is anyone working on 'column skipping' - i.e. writing only alternate pixel values on the horizontal lines to reduce bandwidth requirement while keeping non-cropped image circle?

I guess not yet, but that should be a good idea too. If the bit-conversion doesn't succeed, then reducing 1740 to something around 870 will be good. The question is again - how fast it will be...

Roman

Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon so bought a 95 mb/s $andisc card.

When in photo mode global draw on, I get read/write around the 20/21mbs mark.  Formatted to exfat, downloaded the latest files.

However if I put it in video mode, it drops to 17-19mb/s.

Is that expected?

Only manage about 63 frames before it goes kaput, at the resolution N/A was filming at.

cbmk

Now, I must say I am not a coder or expert on cameras in any way, but would compressed mathematically lossless raw, like on the BMPCC, not be a better alternative for getting as great quality as possible on to SD cards? Or perhaps the camera processors are too slow to compress the footage? Just 2:1 compression should help alot, and if 3:1 or 4:1 would be possible, the results might actually be very good.

gebo

Quote from: N/A on May 27, 2013, 01:38:49 AM

If I use the raw_rec.mo edmac kill + res than I can only get about 67 frames no matter the resolution. If I use the raw_rec from the "aspect lock" then everything is fine.

Is this normal?

vicnaum

Quote from: cbmk on May 27, 2013, 07:57:15 AM
Now, I must say I am not a coder or expert on cameras in any way, but would compressed mathematically lossless raw, like on the BMPCC, not be a better alternative for getting as great quality as possible on to SD cards? Or perhaps the camera processors are too slow to compress the footage? Just 2:1 compression should help alot, and if 3:1 or 4:1 would be possible, the results might actually be very good.

Yes, now it looks like too slow even for bit degradation (but I still believe that there was some error, and it should be possible). Compression requires much more CPU power. And loss-less compression - even more, and the ratios wouldn't be 3:1, 4:1. If you can get 20-40% loss-less compression in RAW - that will be a breakthrough.

gebo

I'm still getting magenta frames (28 in 1117 on my last test) I'm using the 24 May nightly build and the "600D aspect lock" file.
Shooting in 1080p 24fps 960x408, sound disabled SRAW. Global draw off.

SanDisk Extreme 45 Mb/s 16Gb.

How can I get rid of the magenta frames? Any advice?

Roman

Been doing a little more testing.

If I have the hacked mode turned on, no skipped frames at 920x460

Hacked mode turned off, 5300 frames total and 43 skipped frames.

It doesnt skip a whole lot at once, it will skip about 1 in 120 or whatever.

So enough to be annoying haha.

writing at 16.7mb/s is about the best it can manage so far without issues.

If N/A or someone could elaborate as to exactly what they've done to acheive the higher resolutions, would be great
(How the card is formatted, etc... does this make a difference if exfat or not apart from file size limit?)

vicnaum

Did another field-test of 600D with the newest [600D] Aspect Lock.zip build + newest raw_rec.mo

The first bug is there - dunno why, but I think resolutions in line-skipping modes don't have the correct aspect ratios.
I set the aspect ratio of 2.39 (and ML recommends to stretch it by 140%) - but stretching it by 140% gives people a fat look :-D
Stretching it with a good old 166% does the right thing, but then I get 2.01 ratio, instead of 2.39 (which could save us a few more bits).
So please investigate this and check if there is no error in this place

Also on 1734px mode I still (as always) get noise. Do we need this mode anyway? Maybe there is some resolution nearby without the noise, but larger that 1600?

So, here is the video:

Everything is shot with Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS II.

Full-screen fragments are shot using normal (Canon 640x480) modes, without line-skipping, and stretched to full-screen 1920x802 px.

Cropped (with black borders) fragments are shot with line-skipping mode (Canon 720p), and stretched to 166% vertically. Horizontally the fragments are actual 100% size as shot.

RAW conversion was done in RPP (Raw Photo Processor), which eliminates moire, pixel flickering and aliasing (at least not as much as ACR gives), and gives more "film-look" tones and color.

RPP exported to 16bit tiff, and no more processing was done after raw conversion (except 166% vertical stretching).

All fragments are full-length, and are ending at the first frame-skip and buffer overflow (some of the really long fragments are ended manually, cause they can record forever). Thus this is the maximum I can get at every resolution.

List of resolutions and lengths:
1) 1152x482, 254 frames, (10 sec, continuous, should be)
2) 1600x670, 44 frames (1.5 sec)
3) 1600x670, 44 frames (1.5 sec)
4) 1600x476, line-skipped, 86 frames (3.5 sec)
5) 1536x458, line-skipped, 93 frames (3.5 sec)
6) 1536x458, line-skipped, 93 frames (3.5 sec)
7) 1504x448, line-skipped, 143 frames (6 sec)
8) 1440x430, line-skipped, 157 frames (6.5 sec)
9) 1440x430, line-skipeed, 157 frames (6.5 sec)
10) 1440x430, line-skipeed, 157 frames (6.5 sec)
11) 1440x430, line-skipped, 157 frames (6.5 sec)
12) 1440x430, line-skipeed, 157 frames (6.5 sec)
13) 1440x430, line-skipeed, 157 frames (6.5 sec)
14) 1440x430, line-skipeed, 157 frames (6.5 sec)
15) 1440x602, 55 frames (2 sec)
16) 1440x602, 55 frames (2 sec)
17) 1280x536, 141 frames (5.5 sec)
18) 1152x482, 347 frames, (14 sec, continuous, should be)
19) 1136x476, 260 frames, (10 sec, continuous)

These are RAW resolutions. Real converted picture resolutions are somewhat 6 pixels less in each dimension (dunno, maybe it's the way RPP does convertion).

Still need further investigation.

N/A

Quote from: Roman on May 27, 2013, 07:16:42 AM
Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon so bought a 95 mb/s $andisc card.

When in photo mode global draw on, I get read/write around the 20/21mbs mark.  Formatted to exfat, downloaded the latest files.

However if I put it in video mode, it drops to 17-19mb/s.

Is that expected?

Only manage about 63 frames before it goes kaput, at the resolution N/A was filming at.

The fastest Build buffer-wise was edmac-popin I think. I haven't had a chance to shoot much with the latest one.

apefos

I also did a test in edmac popin and it is a litlle bit better in terms of buffer, less magenta frames.

I also found that around 16MB/s is the maximum to work for safe with all versions. I did lots of tests. It seems all 600D cameras works this way because there are some other reports about this here.

Due to this I suggested the list of widths as you can see in my previous post. 1% said he will work on this widths. Maybe he can also compare the code from edmac popin with the new build to compile an improved version in terms of buffer.

I think this is the way, all members give feedback and suggestions to try to help improving the feature.

1%

I got a magenta frame when I didn't kill edmac and tried to use zoom preview while recording... probably an edmac/cpu usage problem.

I write around 18-20.x most modes.

JohnBarlow

I have a request to fix the 4gb limit.

I have been doing exhaustive tests of 1136 x 694 in 720p camera mode, at 12FPS and 1/53 shutter override.

For me this gives the full height of the sensor and is just perfect for a 2x Scope.

At 12FPS with Twixtor it gives a easy tween to 24FPS for low motion content like interviews and such.

On a cheapo 200x SDHC card it runs effortlessly time after time up to the 4gb limit then stops, so if you nice people can fix the 4gb limit then it would be perfect.