600D/T3i Raw Video

Started by N/A, May 18, 2013, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicnaum

Quote from: CFP on May 23, 2013, 07:46:43 PM
But isn't that a very basic kind of lossy compression? I thought so ...

Sure it's lossy, but... I own a good old 300D with 12bit raw, and... you know... sometimes I even like its colour reproduction more than the newer 600D! (which is 14bit raw)

P.S. Is there a ML for 300D? :-D

CFP

I didn't say that lower bit depths are worse, didn't I? :)

I really like the idea of using 10 or 8 bit instead of 14. Canon's H.264 videos are 8-bit and they do not look bad in terms of color. Only details and dynamic range are pretty bad compared to what's possible with raw videos.

Even the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera has "only" 12-bit raw video. That's still more than enough  ;D

But as far as I know compression is defined as an operation that manipulates data to decrease the file's size. And that's exactly what "throwing extra chroma away" is.

jhall07

Shot using today's build, at 1280x400 global draw off, scaled up to fit in a 1920x1080 frame.

Made it 860 frames before it hit the wall, using a San Disk Extreme Pro 95MB/s

Benchmarks have been consistent 21mb/s

I dont know any other information that may be helpful, but ask if you have any questions.

Shawn_Lights

Lovely detail. Magenta/Green slider needs to be moved to 0.

CFP

Quote from: jhall07 on May 23, 2013, 09:16:28 PMI dont know any other information that may be helpful, but ask if you have any questions.
1) What programms did you use? Especially for upscaling?
2) Why did your recording stop?  :o I'm able to record continuously with 1280 X 400 (With "Edmac Popin" build) on a 45 Megabyte/s SD-card.

jhall07

I used Photoshop camera RAW to create the TIFF's, then I actually just threw the TIFFs into FCPX as a compound clip, then placed them on a 1920x1080 timeline and exported as a Pro Res 422 Proxy, then uploaded to vimeo. Not sure why it stopped. It was the lastest build. I had frame skipping off.

I played with a bunch of different resolutions earlier today, but havent really tested any of them to the limit.

batca.dragos

For me the latest build seems to drop ~7 frames every 60 frames or so at 1280x400. I use the same San Disk Extreme Pro 95MB/s.

simulacro

Quote from: jhall07 on May 23, 2013, 09:51:54 PM
I used Photoshop camera RAW to create the TIFF's, then I actually just threw the TIFFs into FCPX as a compound clip, then placed them on a 1920x1080 timeline and exported as a Pro Res 422 Proxy, then uploaded to vimeo. Not sure why it stopped. It was the lastest build. I had frame skipping off.

I played with a bunch of different resolutions earlier today, but havent really tested any of them to the limit.

Hi Everyone, first post Here.

Did anyone try changing the size of the tiff's while exporting from lightroom? just in case we get better results than the NLE upscaling.

THANK YOU very much to the devs for this achievement

N/A

Lots of shots today with the newest build, no dead pixels/bad frames. Reformatted the card to ex-fat so maybe that helped. Now, if only I could get those damn dolphins to sit still for a few seconds while I focus.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

robrock_68

Quote from: N/A on May 24, 2013, 01:33:51 AM
Lots of shots today with the newest build, no dead pixels/bad frames. Reformatted the card to ex-fat so maybe that helped. Now, if only I could get those damn dolphins to sit still for a few seconds while I focus.

What settings did you use (in detail please) This topic has me completely geeked, and I'm waiting to see if 1280X534 is doable.

Thanks

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: N/A on May 24, 2013, 01:33:51 AM
Can you point me to the latest hack download page, or build page I'm new to magic lanterns hack thank you. 

N/A

First page of this thread has link. Settings were 1152x480 which isn't continuous in the new build but enough to get good shots.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: N/A on May 24, 2013, 03:28:27 AM
First page of this thread has link. Settings were 1152x480 which isn't continuous in the new build but enough to get good shots.
Went to the first page and downloaded when I opened the 600D folder I only see two other folders "Modules" & "Scripts" is that right?  The 5D Mark II folder has additional forders like "Cropmrks" "Data" "Settings"  Am I missing something? or should I just use the 5D Mark II extra folders for the 600D? any reply would be greatly appreciated thank you. 

robrock_68

I know this is only my second post, so forgive me if anything has been covered elsewhere. I have been watching ML develop over the last few years, and have benefited greatly by all the hard work the Dev's and testers have put into this. I won't even pretend to understand how this was done, as I'm no genius coder like the Dev's.

Basically, what I want to know is how to get this working on my T3i, and what is the maximum resolution for continuous 24fps shooting that yields either a 16:9 and/or 4:3 aspect ratio. Most of my broadcast stuff is still on SD cable. I would love 1280x544ish for 2.35, but anything that would uprez to that well would also be good.

I know this has all likely been covered elsewhere in the thread, but an all inclusive step by step, or at least the basics in one place would help a lot. If I can get this going on my camera, I can post my findings as well, and possibly help in a small way.

Thank you very much in advance, and thank you for all your hard work.

N/A

Download the latest nightly build here-
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3072.0

Make sure you have that up and running efficiently. Then download the newest tragic lantern 2.0 build (in the first post of this thread) and copy and paste whats in that download over whats on the card. Make sure raw_rec is in the modules folder, and the modules folder is in the ML folder.

Profit.

Checked all my footage from yesterday with the latest build, no more bad pixels, and bad frames only showed up on a video done with 5x crop. I'll have to shoot a couple clips with 10x and check those too.

Yup, 10x looks good but 5x corrupts frames. Weird.

iaremrsir

I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen, but the ISO is being baked into the raw files and I can't recover any detail at all, even when correctly exposed. I know that I should be able to recover highlights because ISO is supposed to be metadata, but when I look on camera at ISO 80, there is detail in the highlights, but when I look at ISO 320 or 640, there will be detail in the shadows but none in the highlights. But after I run raw2dng and bring the files into ACR, it's a no go. Can anyone chime in on this?

1%

ISO is a physical thing... you can't use iso 100 and then try to "recover" data that would be in ISO 1250, etc.

Anyone else notice total memory go down? I get 90 something on 600D and 144 on 6D now.

CFP

Quote from: 1% on May 24, 2013, 10:40:37 PMAnyone else notice total memory go down?
Yes. With the "LatestPull - has rawclinked" build I shoot_malloc is only 96 ...

Btw. when I change the exposure while recording raw, the file breaks :(

N/A

1%

Thats weird with the expo... I've never tried changing while recording.. I record with LV disabled. The speed difference is just too huge.

iaremrsir

Quote from: 1% on May 24, 2013, 10:40:37 PM
ISO is a physical thing... you can't use iso 100 and then try to "recover" data that would be in ISO 1250, etc.

Okay, thanks. So because the ISO changes the sensor's actual sensitivity, it gets recorded into the raw file? And yeah the memory did go down.

1%

Doesn't matter if its in the meta data or not.. its sensitivity X and thats it.

For expo changes... HDR video is still working

N/A

Or a lens with de-clicked aperture  ;)

CFP

Well, with "exposure" I meant "shutter speed". I get a normal .raw file which can be converted to DNG frames using raw2dng. And the first couple of frames is OK. But after I changed the shutter speed suddenly every frame is 0 KB and doesn't open with anything ...

I just wanted you to know  ;D

But you didn't shrink the buffer on purpose, didn't you? So, is there a way to get it back? :)

And ... how do you focus without LV? ???

1%

Focus before recording. I guess it would be a problem for fancy focus moves.

Interesting that shutter speed would screw it up. In photo? In movie?

I figured a1ex fixed memory calculation with the 4kb alignment thing? I just noticed it go down and was like WTF.