600D/T3i Raw Video

Started by N/A, May 18, 2013, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N/A

Mjpeg is 8 bit. Nah, I'll stick with 14 bit.

If you want bigger, just buy a mkiii.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

CFP

There's no way do compress the raw images inside the camera. We won't get anything else then what we have now. No Motion JPEG or anything else then .raw files.
Your options: Accept it, film in H.264 or buy a different camera  ;)

And of course upscaling does help. It doesn't increase sharpness at all, but it makes it easier to see the details and compare it to default 1920 X 1080 H.264. If you don't believe it, then try it yourself.

Anyway. Let's be realistic: To record continuously at 24 frames per second we can't use resolutions higher then 0.5 Megapixels. Anything above that will stop after a few seconds. So now we can choose: Good colors and huge dynamic range (raw) or "high" sharpness and resolution (H.264)? You don't have to use raw video if you don't want to.
But please don't say it's useless just because it's not 2K ;D

If you are willing to sacrifise the dynamic range then just film H.264 like you did before Magic Lantern enabled this amazing feature. If you want both, get a 5D Mark III or a Blackmagic camera. Pretty easy, isn't it?

Once it sops raining in Germany (It's raining every f***ing day! >:() I guess I'll be happy with raw video because it really gives you a ton of dynamic range to work with!

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Any compression would be epic win.

Andy600

He's had it working on on a 5d2 - Digic 4 so that gives us rebel users hope. This could push the 6d and 5d3 to new heights.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

N/A

Andy600

Andy600

@1% - the 600d TL2 doesn't link to a .o file does it? I know it's not currently needed

1%

DigicV and IV speed differences for CPU aren't all that big.

Tl2 doesn't link it but should work if you've used 6D modules on 600D before.

Andy600

@1% - I'll give it a go. I don't know where your 6d repo is though found it :)

Andy600

It's giving me

tcc error: undefined symbol 'raw_lv_request'
tcc error: undefined symbol 'raw_lv_release'

I put the 6d raw_rec.mo and rawc.o in the modules folder

incompatible with 600d?

1%

Will have to try to make 600D version maybe.

Done.

Andy600

d mentions in his post that he's working from the May 14th version. Maybe things have changed since then that could affect this working?

Tried the TL2 pull but saw your other post in the 12bit thread. Obviously no change in frames but it still works if that's any help :)

vicnaum

Great! Things started to get moving!
d said on 4AM that he got some errors fixed in pixel shifts.

Can't wait to try 10bit raw with a higher res.

DJHaze596

Quote from: N/A on May 22, 2013, 10:54:57 PM
Mjpeg is 8 bit. Nah, I'll stick with 14 bit.

If you want bigger, just buy a mkiii.

Well there you go,  Your expecting the same performance of a $3,000 Camera on a $400 Camera.  Yeah 14 bit is more color,  but the Camera is just not fast enough to handle that Quality at the reslution you want.   Therefore you lower the Quality of the Dng than you can properly up the reslution.  It's that simple. 

N/A

I'm not expecting anything close to mkiii perfornance from the 600D, but if we're going back to 8 bit, just use stock video with bitrate maxed and gop3 frames. Besides, mjpeg was a no-go according to the devs.

Although this new 12/10 bit topic might do the trick.

DJHaze596

Quote from: N/A on May 23, 2013, 05:28:35 PM
I'm not expecting anything close to mkiii perfornance from the 600D, but if we're going back to 8 bit, just use stock video with bitrate maxed and gop3 frames. Besides, mjpeg was a no-go according to the devs.

Although this new 12/10 bit topic might do the trick.

Fair enough,  I agree with what 1% said in another thread.  we should have the option to set the Bit.  whether its, 14, 12, 10 or even 8.

1%

Even 8 bit will skip the nasty canon resize.

vicnaum

Quote from: DJHaze596 on May 23, 2013, 05:43:31 PM
Fair enough,  I agree with what 1% said in another thread.  we should have the option to set the Bit.  whether its, 14, 12, 10 or even 8.

Yeah, right. Some say about if 8bit - then going back to h264... But I would try 1280x720 @24fps 8bit raw - it's 21.1MB/s - as it was made for SD bandwidth :)

Quote from: 1% on May 23, 2013, 05:56:02 PM
Even 8 bit will skip the nasty canon resize.

What does that mean?

1%

Your H264 is not 1920x1080... the camera resizes it. So either have 8 bit raw and you do the resizing, etc or have luma/chroma thrown away by canon with repeated resizing from raw to yuv to H264, no thanks.

CFP

Don't forget about the H.264 compression ;)

Adding these lovely motion artifacts and making editing almost impossible ... Canon really knows how to screw up an image ;D

I'm sure even 8-bit DNG raw files with a resolution of 1280 X 720 would look better than Canon's 1920 X 1080 H.264 videos.

But I don't really understand what's going on with that compression. It seems to do something, but it doesn't seem to increase the max resolution we can get ???

1%

The compression needs to be "fixed" first... its not really compression just throwing extra chroma away.

CFP

Quote from: 1% on May 23, 2013, 07:31:51 PM
its not really compression just throwing extra chroma away.
But isn't that a very basic kind of lossy compression? I thought so ...

Anyway, I'm curious to see if this "throwing extra chroma away" will help us with the 21 Megabyte/s write speed dilemma.

It's really stunning to see what's going on here. A few weeks ago nobody even thought that raw video at any framerate could be possible on any DSLR. But you guys enabled it! You made the 5D Mark III a real beast. And you revived the older cams like the 5D Mark II, 50D or 40D!

And maybe you're able to push the Rebel line to the next level too. I mean, I'm impressed with what we have now. But there may be a way to get even more ... ;D

1%

Seems all that matters is write speed + memory size. So older CF cameras > new digic V cameras.