600D/T3i Raw Video

Started by N/A, May 18, 2013, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N/A

You can get continuous 1152x480 on that card.

Right?!

I'm not the only hitting that, am I?

I tried the overexposure trick on some sunrise footage in acr earlier, works beautifully. The new build video quality seems more solid as well, the green/magenta fix did the trick I believe.

7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

1%

Black level fix did that. Its supposed to be more solid with floats now.

N/A

Wav encoder is 16 bit, 44.1, 1411 kbps? Wanna run some tests for max rez with sound, if its doable.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

CFP

Quote from: N/A on May 20, 2013, 03:49:54 PM
You can get continuous 1152x480 on that card. [...] I'm not the only hitting that, am I?
I don't know but on my 600D I only get something between 150 and 450 frames in this resolution.
Continuous recording only works with 1152 X 434 or 1280 X 400 ... At least with 24 frames per second.

Quote from: vfx_junkie on May 20, 2013, 03:26:46 PM
I shot today on 1920x1080p 23.976 default resolution in camera, then in ML RAW mode 960x480, I upscaled it to 1920 in post looks better than h264
Did you count in the crop faktor? Or not? If you haven't, comparing H.264 and RAW in terms of detail is absolutely pointless ;)

AriLG

Quote from: vfx_junkie on May 20, 2013, 03:26:46 PM
I shot today on 1920x1080p 23.976 default resolution in camera, then in ML RAW mode 960x480, I upscaled it to 1920 in post looks better than h264

I use sundisk extreme 30 mb it doesnt stop or skipp but I got pink frames now and then
Can you please upload some examples ?...
T3i (main), T2i
------------------
It's not about accuracy,  it's about Aesthetics

1%

I think wave is 48khz 2 channel 16 bit.

jhall07

Just tested out the latest build using SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s.

Was able to shoot without any dropped frames at 960x540 and 1280x400.

Great work to all! My first post, just wanted to share.

vicnaum

1%, and how fast is DIGIC on 600D?

I read the sources a bit, and saw that you just flush out the buffers to card via FIO_WriteFile, without altering the stream with CPU in any way.
Just wanted to know - for example, if we run through the buffer, cut the 14bit stream in half (leave the 7 bits, cut the rest), so we have twice less the size, and twice less the bandwidth (and twice, or even less the quality of course) - and then flush it to card - will the DIGIC cpu capable of doing this run-through-array operation 24 frames per second?

If yes - then how much operations do we have time to do in one frame?

I'm still dreaming on some "compression" or maybe line-skipping, or something, to make it fit within 22MB/s...

1%

Its like 200MHZ or so so not so fast... Raw preview does something like this and as you see it drags. Seems worth exploring but then it would still be 8 bit, would it not? Its like back to H264?

vicnaum

Quote from: 1% on May 20, 2013, 06:13:17 PM
Its like 200MHZ or so so not so fast... Raw preview does something like this and as you see it drags. Seems worth exploring but then it would still be 8 bit, would it not? Its like back to H264?

It's was just a hypothetical task. If it can't even skip half the bits, then it couldn't do any more complex compression anyway.

P.S. 1920*1080*24fps = 49 766 400 pixels/sec ~ max 4 ticks per pixel @ 200MHz)

Yup... There's not so much you can do within 4 ticks...

atomek1000

With 720p we are getting a little over 9 ticks from 200Mhz, I don't know exactly how much compression takes but i think canon has some other processor inside only for compression and in future it is possible to take advantage of it

Andy600

@1% - re: latest build 'Did it break?'

Yes, something did. I have a few raw files where alternate frames are just colored noise. i.e. 1 good frame, 1 bad. This seems to happen at 1280x544 and 1136x480 resolutions
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Ok, will check,  display filter was broken, maybe from that.

Andy600

Other resolutions seem to be ok AND I'm getting more frames. On my slooow card, where I was getting 71 frames I now get 90 and there are no more dead pixels that I can see :) Still can't open the DNGs in Resolve though lol. Converting to TIFF does the trick.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

clkvang

Sorry meant: 1152x434 continous.

It's really wide so I've had to step back for framing.

Looking to do something more exciting with my next video and RAW at the1152x434.

Here's my test a few days ago after 1% made this possible to record on RAW on 600D at 960x480.

Andy600

@1% - re: 'Did it fix' build. Yes it did :)

jordancolburn

I finally got chance to pay around and compare the raw footage to h.264 HD.  Obviously, the color and highlights of the raw destroy the 8 bit compressed video, but the sharpness of 960x480 compared to 1080p is just off.  It was a lot lot closer than I imagined after scaling up in premiere, but there was obvious increased noise and softness on the raw when viewed from about 10 feet on a 32 inch TV (not really concerned with the scientific details of the test, just trying to get a practical feel of the differences).

A few frames of the higher resolution shots were much much closer and I could see myself using raw for cinematic b-roll if the 600d can get to continuous on the higher resolutions.  I was looking through the code while trying to think about truncating some LSBs off of the data to get down to like 12 bits or something, but as stated above, that's a lot of operations and a little time to do it (and I also don't have any idea what the data looks like off the sensor).

1%

Find out how to steal more memory and you'll have longer and longer rolls of high res pics.

Andy600

@1% - re:latest build. At 1280x720 (3x crop) every frame is green. It's not happening at other resolutions

1%

Probably black level related. Have to check if black bars are good in 720P.

SMSabir

Its so damn amazing to see the ML Developers doing amazing things to make the Canon DSLRs outshine other brands and video cams with big price tags, amazing.

A few months back I purchased T4i/650D which is my very first DSLR and I mainly bought for Video Making though later on I found Magic Lantern and was a bit dissapointed that so far T4i/650d doesnt have any ML stuff going on though being very honest I am hopeful that in next few weeks or months there will be a very stable and diversified ML version for the cam (ok I am trying hard to be super positive here :) )

I do want to learn and master the craft of DSLR Ceinmatography and I am sure ML will be one of key supporting tools in this journey for me :)

Thanks ML Team for being so awesome.

Andy600

@1% - sorry, should have mentioned the green frames were in 1080p mode with crop set to 720p size

1%

So 1080P cropped to 1280x720? Or 3x crop mode cropped to 1280x720?

Take a silent pic @ this resolution and see if there are black borders.

Andy600

@1% - 1080p mode x3 crop with raw settings of 1280x720. Yes there are black borders on the silent pic

gebo

A few mintes ago I posted this question on the wrong thread...so here it goes:

Since shooting larger than 1120x434 RAW at 24fps is causing frame skipping I thought that if I decreased the frames per second then I could increase the resolution. With FPS override on 12fps I was expecting to be able to shoot at 1734x694 (or somewhere near that) but the result I get is dng's with pink noise. It wasn't just noise, it's possible to see parts of an image there but it's not usable.

I wonder if this is happening to others.