Time lapse with ML

Started by The northern light blog, May 18, 2013, 12:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The northern light blog

Hi all,

I wanted to give some info about my photographic project I have started now. I prepared a simple setup to make a time lapse of a lentil growing from seed to the adult plant: I used the kit lens (macro lens would magnify too much), with f=22 (I could/should have used a bit lower f, on the hindsight), on a tripod and with a battery grip that allowed me to change the batteries without moving the camera.
Then, I set the built-in intervalometer to take a picture every 3 minutes.

Apart of the battery duration, which is about 7 hours each (14-15hours with the grip), I had a big issue with the intervalometer stopping every 300 pictures more or less. This was quite inconvenient, and because of this, part of my time-lapse project now has some gaps in between. Therefore, I decided to stop using the camera and took my old HTC phone: with a proper program, I just have the phone plugged into the wall socket and I have enough memory for 8000 pictures.

The down side of using the phone for the time-lapse is that the picture quality is of course worse, since I want to focus on something small...

So, I wanted to explain what my project was, and also ask for some support: doe anyone know why did my camera stop taking pictures every now and then? And also: is there any risk for the camera to be on for several days? That was another of the reasons to stop using my 60D.

If you have any question, just ask and I will reply happily :)

gimp

I know this is a dead thread, but I'll reply anyways with some experience...

1) You want to use a battery eliminator for something like this, assuming you have easy access to power. (Or, well, a battery grip with one battery and one battery eliminator might be even better if you could set it up to use the battery as a backup. Might be hard. Haven't tried.)

2) The camera, in my experience, can stay on pretty much forever. The shutter, however, won't last forever!

3) I'd use a macro lens and just move the tripod farther away. Get precisely the magnification you want. Also perhaps f/16 or so is as stopped down as you want to go, but up to you.

4) Yikes, stopping every so often is an issue.