Raw Burst on the 50D

Started by smeangol, May 18, 2013, 12:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

menoc

Quote from: Andy600 on May 20, 2013, 06:43:56 PM
It can use UDMA 7 cards but it's still UDMA 6. The firmware just fixed a compatibility problem with 1000x UDMA CF cards. You will still only get max UDMA 6 speed

That'll work. As long as I can use it . . . thanks.

Andy600

I hope it does too because I'm getting one  ::)

Is there anyone developing ML for the 50d ATM? It has silent burst DNG but not sure if it has raw video yet. Did anyone ever manage to get this record do 720p? or is 1080p 480p the only options?

update: Just saw that Coutts added the stubs for raw_rec  :) Great timing!
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

cobyalon

As I read UDMA 6 max speed is 133 MB/s is that true? If so, I think it might be able to shoot 1920x1080 24p...

CFP

I would also like to know how fast the 50D really is. It won't be able to write 133 Megabyte/s for sure ... But maybe something around 60 Megabyte/s?
Could anybody please run this damn card benchmark? :D

Or is it not available for the 50D?

If the 50D is faster then 40 Megabyte/s i might get one too ... And since it has only 15 MP, there should be less moire then with the other ML cameras, right?
This could really become the APS-C equivalent of the 5D Mark II ...

coutts

I've found the required stubs for the 50d for raw_rec module, pull latest commit and try it out :)

Andy600

The sensor is read at a specific size from what I understand. A1ex mentioned earlier in this thread that the 50d is 1592x1062 in 1x mode and 1992x1080 in crop mode so 1080p should be doable in crop mode only. The 1x mode will need to be upscaled.

I think this is probably on par with the 5d MkII for write speed but as the files will be smaller it might get a little extra push in the fps dept etc but not much.

It has the same processors as the 5d MkII and likely the same CF interface. A fast UDMA 7 card should let this run at full transfer speed in the same way as a UHS-I does for SD to it's maximum but we'll see.

Not sure about the moire being any less.

It would be great if this had 720p H.264 enabled some time as a fallback. I've seen some of the 50d footage at 24fps 1080p (H.264). Not too bad. I think the 600d has the edge though slightly + audio which the 50d hasn't got ... not that any of this is relevant now  ::)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

@Coutts - that's excellent! I will in a couple of days when my 50d arrives  :)

coutts

Quote from: Andy600 on May 20, 2013, 09:01:25 PM
The sensor is read at a specific size from what I understand. A1ex mentioned earlier in this thread that the 50d is 1592x1062 in 1x mode and 1992x1080 in crop mode so 1080p should be doable in crop mode only. The 1x mode will need to be upscaled.

I think this is probably on par with the 5d MkII for write speed but as the files will be smaller it might get a little extra push in the fps dept etc but not much.

It has the same processors as the 5d MkII and likely the same CF interface. A fast UDMA 7 card should let this run at full transfer speed in the same way as a UHS-I does for SD to it's maximum but we'll see.

Not sure about the moire being any less.

It would be great if this had 720p H.264 enabled some time as a fallback. I've seen some of the 50d footage at 24fps 1080p (H.264). Not too bad. I think the 600d has the edge though slightly + audio which the 50d hasn't got ... not that any of this is relevant now  ::)
From my testing with the 5d2 it can only do 1880x840 so the 50d should cap out somewhere around this as well (slow CF interface).

Andy600

@coutts - What does that mean for file sizes 60-70MB/s? I can live with 1880x840.

CFP

Well if 1592 X 1062 is the max resolution of the 50D (Without crop) and it has the same write speed as the 5D Mark II ... Would be really great!

1592 X 1062 is 3:2 aspect ratio and would require ~ 72 Megabyte/s write speed ... Probably too much if even the 5D Mark II can't handle more then 67 Megabyte/s.

But who needs a 3:2 aspect ratio? :D 1592 X 895 is 16:9 and would require only ~ 60 Megabyte/s at 24 fps. That might be possible!
And could easily be upscaled to 1920 X 1080. And it wouldn't even increase the cropfactor since it would use the complete width of the image!

In 1592 X 682 (21:9 aspect ratio) even 30 fps might be possible (Would require just 57 Megabyte/s).

Or in other words: The 50D might be able to record 3 times higher resolutions then the 600D or 60D, but only costs ~ 350 € used.

If that's all true, it will be by far the coolest video camera < 1000 €! Still waiting for the bechnmark to confirm this ...  ;D

Andy600

The downside of me getting the 50d is that I'll have to give the 600d to the wife >:(

CFP

Quote from: Andy600 on May 20, 2013, 09:51:36 PM
The downside of me getting the 50d is that I'll have to give the 600d to the wife >:(
There's always something, isn't it? ;D
But anyway, in my opinion the is 50D better then the 600D. Okay, no audio, no flipscreen. But that are the only downsides of the old DSLR, aren't they? :D

I mean, better viewfinder, metal body, two times more fps, less noise, shoulder display ... Why did I buy a 600D in the first place? ;D

But at the moment I don't have the money for a "new" camera and I don't want to sell my beloved 600D.

Andy600

TBH I would probably have kept saving for a MkIII (although that will take me years at this rate) if it wasn't for getting a bargain price on the 50d. I still love the 600d though I've never once used the flip screen  ???... which was high on the list of why I bought it in the first place. It doesn't work with my LCD VF... oh f**k, I'll need to get a new one of those too and a fast CF :-\

smeangol

@Coutts - nice one - i was about to post that i completed the Port .. :)

If you want to use it right now - take a look on the first post and download the autoexec :)

Andy600

@smeangol - do you have raw_rec working?

smeangol

Yes :) Check for the first post in this Thread
.. all i got here is old 4.4 MB/s CF Card :(

smeangol

www.smeangol.com/thecreepypink.dng
I think i saw something like that in another post - idea how to fix it?

Andy600

@smeangol - Is this happening with DNG silent bursts too or only with raw rec? Have you tried the latest nightly? http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/nightly/

Andy600

@menoc - can you post a benchmark when you get your Komputerbay card?

menoc

A little video showing Raw DNG image from the 50D . . .

Andy600

@menoc - looking good! Any issues with frame tearing etc? What's the write rate reading in MB/s? Are you using the nightly unified build for this?

menoc

Quote from: Andy600 on May 21, 2013, 11:01:49 AM
@menoc - can you post a benchmark when you get your Komputerbay card?

The KomputerBay card will arrive Thursday or Friday. I'll run the test and post.

Right now I'm running the burst mode on a 32gb 600x Lexar Professional card. I didn't see any issues with tearing, but it was only about 45 frames. I'll post the card's benchmark later . . .

dacssfreak

Hi Guys,

either i'm just blind or stupid. I got v2.3.NEXT.2013May21.50D109 on my 50D running right now, but there is no raw recording in the video-menu. Is it somewhere else and i was just to stupid to locate it, or it's simply not there?

I'd appreciate your help. I really want to try it out since my 7D is not able to record raw :(

dacssfreak

Andy600

@dacssfreak - did you load the modules?

dacssfreak

Where can i get the modules and where do i enable them?