Previous topic - Next topic

menoc

Quote from: CFP on May 22, 2013, 04:57:18 PM
Niiice benchmark!!! So the 50D really is a cheap 5D Mark II  :D

Which card was that?

Lexar Professional 32GB 600x UDMA

smeangol

Raw Video without pink tearing!
Use the module and the autoexec from the first post! Njoy!
@Alex: Thank you for the advice

Now do me a favour and tell me how the 50D performance with some fast cards :)

Not zoomed in LV works like a charm ~ 1500X 1000 / Zoomed in LV does its nice 1920 X 1080 RAW - however every now and then there are some distorted frames (every 1,5 sec) - lets see what we can do ..

pbr

Hi everyone,
  forgive the ignorance; i'm new to the forum and have been reading some of the 50D posts on the subject of raw video recording.

I have a question:  in your esteemed opinions, for someone who wants to upgrade their Xsi and is interested super- high def video (but has little $$) the 50D is looks to be a better option than the t3i, yes?
Thanks for any opinions

krashnik

Quote from: Andy600 on May 21, 2013, 05:12:34 PM
Slightly OT  ::) but have any of you 50d users posted any plain old H.264 footage online. I'm getting mine tomorrow and want to see what the 1080p video quality is like compared to my 600d. I've only seen shaky footage on Youtube so I can't really tell. I presume for normal video that you would shoot in manual mode?

You can see quite a bit of 50D video footage here: http://youtube.com/krashnik

I've shot over 100 videos with my 50D + T2i + T3i combo.  Looking forward to getting RAW on the 50D.  The quality on it is great in 1080p & it always has the best image of the 3 cameras, hands down. 

I was planning on upgrading to 6D, but if RAW works, I'll donate a bit here & use the money for lenses.  I can also see myself trading in my t2i & t3i for another 50D or two.

CFP

The Canon EOS 600D has a maximal write speed of 21 Megabyte/s.
The Canon EOS 50D seems to have a maximal write speed of ~ 70 Megabyte/s.

EDIT: I just saw that the 50D can reach up to 90 Megabyte/s write speed with a really fast card - Impressive!

The EOS 600D has 104 Megabyte buffer.
The EOS 50D has 220 Megabyte buffer.

Both have the same DiG!C 4 processor ...

I would get a 50D ... :D

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

pbr

Great, thanks for the replies!

dacssfreak

Okay guys,

i'm a bit confused by the information which some of you guys posted earlier. I just recieved my Transcend 16GB 1000x Card. It performs excellent on my Transcend USB3 Card reader. Its writing with about 90 MB/s and Reading with about 120 MB/s (tested with ATTO).
When i pop the card into my 50D it performs like CRAP. Seriously ... It can barely reach 25 MB/s in the ML benchmark. I have noo idea whats wrong with the card or my 50D. Did anybody already test 1000x cards in the 50D? Im slightly disappointed because my 400x card already gave me 19 MB/s.

Andy600

Check you have the latest firmware (1.0.9). It was a fix for newer CF cards :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

dacssfreak

Hey Andy,

im already on 1.0.9. Installing ML would've not been possible if i wasn't already working on 1.0.9

There has to be another problem with the camera. Did anybody else encounter such a problem?

Cheers

Andy600

Maybe try formatting it differently. Format in-camera and try also formatting in your computer if you haven't already. UDMA7 cards do work, Menoc has the Komputerbay 1000x card and that's UDMA7. You could also try re-installing the 1.0.9 firmware. That's all I can think of atm  :-\

JulianH

I'm using a 90MB/s UDMA7 Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro, getting reliable recordings up to about 50MB/s on the 50D.

In a USB3 reader I get higher scores, so I think the camera is limiting it, but it would make sense for you to get better scores...

moomilk

Just got the 50D and having thoughts on the faster CF cards again, I saw a post here some time ago saying:
"The Canon EOS 50D seems to have a maximal write speed of ~ 70 Megabyte/s."
Is that really true and getting a faster card won't give any results and there is no sense trying? I was not entirely following the 5D markII thread, what exactly is causing the write speed drop while using LV?
Think the 50D and 5DmkII CF controller speeds should be pretty much the same with theoretical peak at 133Mb/s - UDMA6 max specs, so is there a chance for 50d to have desirable 100-120Mb\s write speeds in real world situation with fastest 1000x CF cards like Transcend (~120Mb/s) or it will be still capped under 70Mb/s?

Andy600

moomilk

Quote from: Andy600 on May 26, 2013, 12:18:58 AM
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg40110#msg40110
Yeah, thanks, but the thing is menoc's bench is made in playback mode, not LV. Although it is nice to know that the controller is able to go pretty far, I assume with faster cards it should be able to do around 120Mb\s in fact. Just thought if LV is limiting the write speeds so much, maybe it will be also worth making a RAW video mode not involving the LV at all, for videos with static camera postion that could mean a higher res possibilities.

Andy600

@dacssfreak - This might shed some light on it. 5d3 users have had a similar problem: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5563.msg40553;topicseen#msg40553

It looks like it needs fixing @smeangol?

ulf

With the autoexec.bin and the module from post #1 raw video is working on my 50d (with magenta tint; and my cf card is too slow, ordered a new one).

But I can't find silent pics anymore in the menu. I wanted to try dng burst mode. Is this feature currently missing?

Thanks

tihon

Quote from: moomilk on May 26, 2013, 12:13:46 AM

"The Canon EOS 50D seems to have a maximal write speed of ~ 70 Megabyte/s."

Tha is gonna be cool! So we can get 1920 px or a little less in 1:1 mode! Wich is 4x crop from ff. Sigma 20mm f1.8 can become to 80mm with a  nice cinematic fov wide open apperture in low light
Cinema, cinema, cinema

Andy600

re: CF speeds - The 50d should be able to do exactly the same write speed as the 5d2. I need to re-find the tech manual I saw a few weeks ago but it's the same chipset. I read somewhere on here that the 5d2 was able to write up to @ 88MB/s and that's good news for the 50d because file sizes are smaller. We might just be able to get the full 1:1 crop at continuous speeds but it needs a lot of work to get there. (don't quote me on that though :D)

tihon

Quote from: Andy600 on May 26, 2013, 05:54:25 PM
re: CF speeds - The 50d should be able to do exactly the same write speed as the 5d2. I need to re-find the tech manual I saw a few weeks ago but it's the same chipset. I read somewhere on here that the 5d2 was able to write up to @ 88MB/s and that's good news for the 50d because file sizes are smaller. We might just be able to get the full 1:1 crop at continuous speeds but it needs a lot of work to get there. (don't quote me on that though :D)

Thanks! Nice to hear that! Do you think that in 1:1 1080p mode the image quality  will be be the same?

P.S: if 14to12bit will work, probably we can shoot 30 fps!)
Cinema, cinema, cinema

Andy600

Slightly softer but clean and easy to sharpen in post. Your glass will be the key to how sharp you can go.