RAW video vs. RAW photo noise

Started by KMikhail, May 27, 2013, 10:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KMikhail

I have performed a number of tests, one of them is (video raw vs. photo raw) X (FF vs. 1:1 Crop ) X (ISO400 vs. ISO6400):

http://kartashovs.com/UpLoads/5D3_RAW_VIDEO/

Aforementioned pics start with CINE (from video raw, ACR) and PHOTO (from photo raw, DPP).

All video pics sharpened the same way, all photo pics sharpened the same way. No denoising was performed. Basic WB, and de-fringing was done on all pics.

Just like FF video raw is binned, FF photo raw was downsized 3X.

I have used 24-70 2.8 I, with 70/4 for FF and 24/4 for 1:1 crop. Obviously, it's not actually a 3x zoom, so I didn't get completely identical images. Chart readings in lp/ph are correct for FF at 70mm, shot at framing 1080p. I had to crop pics due to wierd windowing in 1:1 modes.

Results: software handling is vastly different. DPP wins hands down. Software supersampling is superb, much better than binning.

The GOOD: at FF reading, binning actually averages a number of pixels => noise (and thus dynamic range) is improved, compared to 1:1 crop, even if it isn't completely on par with downsampled photo raw. I.e. with 11-12 stops of dynamic range in 1:1, FF should give us 12+, though not as sharp.

Enjoy.

P.S. There are other pics of charts, 85L and video with the same lens.