GoPro CineForm Studio Premium/Pro Settings for 5D3 RAW Video

Started by Jake Segraves, May 17, 2013, 11:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DANewman

GoPro Studio 2.0 is out.  Time I get back into ML RAW.

What is this "new raw file format" you speak of?

1%

MLV.. its just raw with a wrapper and non sequential frames.

Add any new debayers?

DANewman

Is it commonly being used (MLV)? Where is the specification?

Revisiting debayer soon.

Andy600

Quote from: DANewman on September 13, 2013, 12:04:21 AM
Is it commonly being used (MLV)? Where is the specification?

Revisiting debayer soon.

It's not part of the main repo yet but it's being tested on various cameras.

G3gg0 has a thread about it here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.0

and deeper info here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdHJraTVTOEpmNEIwTVlKd0dHVi1ULUE#gid=0

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

fafalone

Hello there Dan,

Your command line utility is amazing. That alone pushed me over the edge to buy a studio premium license. I was an old neoscene user.

I have a couple of questions...

First, I noticed that you mentioned earlier you used cineform with a surface pro. How's that working out for you? Is the tablet fast enough to play cineform raw clips at full resolution or should I wait for Haswell?

And second, is there an inexpensive way to add a 3rd computer to my studio premium license? The old 2 machine paradigm that the industry has embraced for so long should be reformulated because now individuals need to install software on a desktop, laptop and tablet ;-)

Cheers.

DANewman

contact [email protected] about license extensions.

I like the Surface Pro, but do all my editing at half res as it is no desktop replacement.  Yet I do a lot of edit with it.

Andy600

@DANewman - Do we still need to use the hacked CFHDdecoder64.dll with Resolve or is it incorporated in CF2?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Yaros525

RAW2GPCF converted clips appear uncorrectly within newly-released Resolve 10. They are "all shades of pink" , and unusable for now. (

DANewman

fafalone

I just bought a surface pro and love it, but cineform studio is not working for me, it just hangs. :(

EDIT: Solved. Why would Microsoft not want to use intel's latest display drivers??????

DANewman

Yes the Surface Pro is awesome little ultrabook with the correct drivers

Yaros525

Yay! Recent Resolve 10 beta 3, Cineform support is back! Works as intended.

iaremrsir

Quote from: DANewman on May 27, 2013, 04:08:54 AM
Yes, the resulting images will have baked color. Not a bad thing if you have all of the information you need to do your finish, but RAW in my opinion requires you to be able to restore back to everything the sensor read, giving you the greatest flexibility.   

I don't consider applying the demosaic as a necesary part of RAW. Consider the Protune CAM_RAW mode on GoPro HERO3 Black Edition (something I worked on,) that is about as raw as you can get in an H.264 file.  All the demosaic is applied in camera, but color matrix and white balance are applied in post, just like classic uncompressed RAW.

If there is enough interest, I will enable YUV or 444 development, without baking the color.  The only reason you might like 4:2:2 RAW, is that could run on the freely distributed GoPro CineForm Studio, just like Protune CAM_RAW works for GoPro users today.

Any updates or chances of this happening? This plus the Adobe CC update would be huge for workflow and quality. Bring DNG files into Media Encoder CC, use Adobe's debayer on the GPU for a speedy output to a debayered, semi-raw CF file.  8)

mo7ies

I really wish more devices used CineformRAW natively, both at acquisition and playback stages. It affords a terrific balance between quality (very little compromise vs uncompressed frames like DNG), and perfectly low bandwidth/storage requirements. Bravo! IMHO David Newman is a genius, and his Cineform team is awesome.

I personally am using Cineform for years, and even bought SI-2K camera in large part because it recorded into CineformRAW natively.

It's perplexing just why don't we see more cameras that would do the same.

Now, I no longer have SI-2K but do love BMCC, and now 5D records RAW as well, plus Digital Bolex is coming out - hopefully soon. How do we manage huge folders full of uncompressed DNG frames?

Of course the latest and greatest is GoPro Studio Premium - but it currently does not automatically add audio, and I already have production Cineform installed.

So for my purposes, the solution was RAW 2 CF RAW utility from yours truly. It makes CineformRAW out of 5D raw, BMCC DNGs, even from timelapse CR2s...

You can download private beta (conditionally) here if you like: http://kck.st/16j9MRP

mo7ies

RAW 2 CF RAW version 1.0 in private beta now! Get on the list to be notified when public version is released.

mo7ies

Thanks to Chris Barcellos for great feedback on private beta of RAW 2 CF RAW converter, and for spreading the word.

mbyte

I'm stuck using the RAW2GPCF. It just won't work. I have been using Rawanizer all the time but the blacks in my shots are coming out pink and noisey even though it looks perfect when I convert it to Cinema DNG. So I thought I needed to calibrate the black by using a >1GB raw file with the lens cap on, which I recorded. I realized after checking the topic that the black calabration can't be done in rawanizer (or can it...) but can actually be done in RAW2GPCF.exe alone and you don't need Rawanizer. I'm not very familiar with this type of command promp set up. I've typed in the code that I think should be typed into the program and press the return key and nothing happens, the program vanishes and no files have been created. I've typed the basic code without specifying the black calibration file and nothing seems to happen.

I bought Cineform and I've converted the files successfully to RAW already. I would use Cinema DNG but I don't have the workflow. Any advice?

Is the lack of sound a magic lantern issue or a conversion issue and whats the deal with this kickstarter raw2gpcf private converter mo7ies keeps blabbing on about?

DANewman

Neither CineForm RAW or Cinema DNG add or subtract noise, so the differences here are selected black level and what post processing the Cinema DNG viewer is doing.  Black calibration can help, but it mainly helps for fixed pattern noise and/or dead pixels.

To try RAW2GPCF, you need to launch in from a cmd prompt, for directly like I think you are trying'.

'Windows+R' type 'cmd' <press enter>

This will get you a shell where you can try out RAW2GPCF with it disappearing after it executes.

jonnyginese

Is there a plan to implement ML RAW or MLV native import into this software? It would be amazing to be able to drag my days shoot into GP CF editor from my CF card and convert from the card onto my computer.  This format seems to be the best option.

I also get an error every time i try to import the DNG files "corrupt or un supported" but then after converting it plays work seems to work properly.
Cameras: 5D3 | 60D
Prime Lenses: Samyang 14mm 2.8 | 24mm 1.4 | 35mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Nikkor 105 2.5
Zoom Lenses: Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC | Canon 80-200 2.8 L

jonnyginese

@DANewman - SOrry if you have already answered this somewhere else, but what would be the best switch settings to convert the RAW files to something like "SLog2" from Sony, or something that is just a very flat at the start format.. but still maintaining all data(or as much as possible depending on RAW, 444 or 422)

Thanks!
Prime Lenses: Samyang 14mm 2.8 | 24mm 1.4 | 35mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Nikkor 105 2.5

DANewman

I haven't looked at the details of Slog2, but you can control how flat the image is using the -lX switch that controls the Log curve, using -l900 will give at 13-stop log curve which is pretty flat in appearance.  You can also pre-shape the developed image using the metadata switches.  If you want to under exposure the output by a stop add +EXPS=0.5 as non-destructive metadata.

DANewman

I have updated RAW2GPCF to support larger Log curves for a flatter look.  Previous only -l255 was the largest, now up to -l65535 works, although -l900 is the highest recommended.

http://miscdata.com/ML/RAW2GPCFv114.zip

jonnyginese

Quote from: DANewman on December 12, 2013, 11:04:22 PM
I have updated RAW2GPCF to support larger Log curves for a flatter look.  Previous only -l255 was the largest, now up to -l65535 works, although -l900 is the highest recommended.

http://miscdata.com/ML/RAW2GPCFv114.zip

Thanks! I'll test it tomorrow. :-)

DANewman

I've been away for a while.  What is the latest in ML that I need to add support within RAW2GPCF?

pind

Hi all and thnx for great work!!

Can someone be so kind and make a video (youtube or vimeo) tutorial for us noobs with not that much experience in computers

I use canon 5D3+ Latest nightly build 3.1.2014 and shoot video in raw and  not in raw.mlv (i think sound is not working in those latest builds)

Option 1

- i have used   RAW 2  cinemadng converter (made by chmee) and in 3 days i ended up with 450Gigz of data on one of my data HDDs
-after i get cdng i import in Davinci Resolve 10 lite and add bmd film (color space) and bmd film  (Gamma) then select all clips and adding 3D LUTs
-exporting from davinci resolve to Premiere and  and render to final export

Option 2

with   Ginger directly import raw files from 5d  mk3 into PremierePro CC or Lightroom for ACR fast color adjustments

Option 3

with Adobe Dynamic link use dng files in Adobe Speed Grade and export to Premiere pro for final export

Option 4

I would like to try GoPro Studio with Raw2cineform but it looks like hard time geting those dng with this command prompt  for me

so i am asking is there some one who can make GUI for this?

Thank you all
My first RAW with ML  --->  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvztBDW2mWc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUppNuhISexbdjO8Rg-3YbBA 5D3 + ML Canon 28-70mm f2.8 17-35mm f2.8