GoPro CineForm Studio Premium/Pro Settings for 5D3 RAW Video

Started by Jake Segraves, May 17, 2013, 11:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DANewman

Resolution must match also.  So black balance for high speed separately.

Scanning will be fast, faster than typing the name of the clip manually.

iaremrsir

Quote from: DANewman on June 27, 2013, 03:12:00 AM

That's plenty fast for me then!

iaremrsir

Going off the topic of black calibration for a second, is the program automatically applying the 5D3 color matrix? Because on my T3i footage, I get off colors when leaving the matrix to Source.

DANewman

It is applying the color matrix that in stored in the .RAW file.  If the color matrix is wrong for the T3i, the ML build for T3i needs to be updated for for correct matrix.

iaremrsir

Okay, one more question. Is the white balance in Studio based on Kelvin or it is some other scale?

DANewman

Kelvin value of the incident light, although the math was a little off in Studio 1.3, and it improved in the upcoming 2.0.

iaremrsir

Okay was making sure I wasn't doing wrong. But 2.0  ;D Any need for a test monkey?

mclein

Quote from: DANewman on June 27, 2013, 03:12:00 AM

Hi Dan,
i was wondering if it is possible to prepare different clips with the cap on at the highest iso.
Like RAW800iso.RAW,  RAW1600iso.RAW, RAW3200ISO.RAW, RAW6400ISO.RAW
and when we have a high iso footage we can apply the "-bc RAWISOXXX.RAW" to remove the pattern noise.

Would it be good to speed up the workflow?

Another thing, i don't know why but when i open the normal -422 cineform clip in my MAC i see the pink cast in highlight.. whether it is not present in windows..  so the only thing i can do to remove it for my FCPX usage is to convert with  l90 or l400 parameter.
is it normal?

thanks a lot!

DANewman

Yes you could calibrate your camera for different ISOs.  We need the ML RAW header to change to make this more useful.  If the 192-byte RAW header included the ISO, I could automatically load to correct black balance file based on the ISO.  Who do we ask?

The pink highlight requires you to tweak the Sat. Clip point., which is a control within the Premium user interface.  I could add a control to set this default level from the command line -- it is non-destructive metadata.

mclein

It is very hard to kill the pink highlight..
i don't have a premium version right now.
this is what it looks like the horrible burn magenta channel in the candle light
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s52/sh/451006c7-7b9e-40ce-85bf-68a9be9ddd94/0a447db37aad41370655697e65b18819

i have tried the -l400 parameter... the l90 parameter which is slightly better but not so much.. and the -c parameter which is very bad..

any advices?

DANewman

Today my advice is for you to use the Premium version, as the free version has only minimum corrections for RAW.  Or you could turn off the color matrix, which removes the highlights issue, but you have to start with uncalibrated color.

DANewman

Turn off the color matrix in the free version by clicking on the None preset in the bottom right of the GoPro CineForm Studio. You can batch this.  After None is applied (any custom metadata), Ctrl+C (to copy), Ctrl+A (to select all) and then Ctrl+V to paste this default to all for CineForm clips.

DANewman

New version v1.11

* Added automatic black calibration file detection with '*' wildcards.
* Added metadata injection.

http://miscdata.com/ML/RAW2GPCFv111.zip

Now to black balance, just record a less than 1GB clip with the lens cap on and the wildcard filename will find it
raw2gpcf L:\DCIM\100EOS5D\*.RAW M:\CineForm\*.AVI -bcL:\DCIM\100EOS5D\*.RAW

The metadata switches are really for advanced or future hacks.  However for those have trouble with pink highlights, and who are not using Studio Premium (your loss), you can override the default highlight saturation clipping point with +HPNT=##  (something between 0.3 and 0.9 should work, with 0.0 and 1.0 the maximum, default is 0.5.)   This are linear light numbers so if green clips one stop before red and blue, 0.5 would be the clipping point.  If green clips 2 stops before (unlikely) then 0.25 is the approximate clipping point.

Yaros525

I've tried bl balancing on 5d2 footage, and it looks abit off (?).
Seems like it adds balancing noise to it, not subtracts somehow.

Here is the link to before/after image. The crop has overbright/greytone/shadows data:
http://i.fotto.ru/ysjv.jpeg

So, it raises blacks + adds that 'nice' magenta cast to the shadows.
What do you think, Dave? Dunno maybe it is ok behavior.

MichalT

Hi guys, first post on this forum, so please go easy. I'm on PC,Windows 7 Home Premium, GoPro Studio Premium,Creative Cloud.

The batch v1.11 converts ony first file and then crashes, so I only get one file at a time,can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Quoteconverting in place (on disk in the same folder, 'cd' to that folder)
raw2gpcf *.RAW *.AVI

When I import to GoPro Premium the converted files with RAW2GPCF v1.11 i do not see a preview in the software but changes do get applied to this file when I've got it on Premiere CC timeline and move a frame forward ( but with with issues around keyframes see other issue below ). Should I be seeing a preview in CF Premium upon importing it just like after converting a RAW DNG sequence from step 1 to 2 ?

Regarding the keyframe issue above, when I change any preset LUT in GoPro Premium ( trial for the moment) it kind of creates kayframes on the file in Premiere CC. I have to create a keyrame in GoPro Premium and delete it, for the clip to have the same preset on the whole clip now in Premiere CC. Is it weird?

Anyway, great work, lloks like as soon as those last bits and pieces get fixes I'll be buying the Premium as I can just edit these files with full resno frame dropping preview in Premiere CC on my i7 920 with GTX 285 2GB.

Great job David and the rest of Cineform guys!

DANewman

Quote from: Yaros525 on June 29, 2013, 06:27:11 PM
I've tried bl balancing on 5d2 footage, and it looks abit off (?).
Seems like it adds balancing noise to it, not subtracts somehow.

Here is the link to before/after image. The crop has overbright/greytone/shadows data:
http://i.fotto.ru/ysjv.jpeg

So, it raises blacks + adds that 'nice' magenta cast to the shadows.
What do you think, Dave? Dunno maybe it is ok behavior.

It is doing the correct thing, although I might have been too generous with black offset when I quickly tested with my 5D3.  It only looks more noisy as the black is lifted (hoping to dig more out of the shadows), but the black balance is helping, it you color correct to the same, the balance balanced image is slightly better.  Now for the pink tint in the shadows, the black has no inherent tint, yet the white balance and color matrix can cause this when the black is offset too much.  So I've halved the default black offset from 16 to 8, and added that as a user control.

http://miscdata.com/ML/RAW2GPCFv112.zip

you could use -bo0 to remove the black offset, or even -bo-10 to crush the blacks a little, all shadow tints will go.

DANewman

Quote from: MichalT on June 29, 2013, 08:36:01 PM
Hi guys, first post on this forum, so please go easy. I'm on PC,Windows 7 Home Premium, GoPro Studio Premium,Creative Cloud.

The batch v1.11 converts ony first file and then crashes, so I only get one file at a time,can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
When I import to GoPro Premium the converted files with RAW2GPCF v1.11 i do not see a preview in the software but changes do get applied to this file when I've got it on Premiere CC timeline and move a frame forward ( but with with issues around keyframes see other issue below ). Should I be seeing a preview in CF Premium upon importing it just like after converting a RAW DNG sequence from step 1 to 2 ?

Regarding the keyframe issue above, when I change any preset LUT in GoPro Premium ( trial for the moment) it kind of creates kayframes on the file in Premiere CC. I have to create a keyrame in GoPro Premium and delete it, for the clip to have the same preset on the whole clip now in Premiere CC. Is it weird?

Anyway, great work, lloks like as soon as those last bits and pieces get fixes I'll be buying the Premium as I can just edit these files with full resno frame dropping preview in Premiere CC on my i7 920 with GTX 285 2GB.

Great job David and the rest of Cineform guys!

Fix that new crash.

http://miscdata.com/ML/RAW2GPCFv113.zip

Don't use keyframes for that as you are trying to compensate for Premiere's annoying frame cache.  When using Studio and Premire Pro together, it takes a while for the metadata changes to be correctly refreshed in Adobe tools. 

beat_takashi

hi everyone, i drag a raw file into the import window and all i get is a white image. any help?

DANewman

RAW image (as in .RAW) are not supported in the import room.  If you .DNG that will work.  If you RAW2GPCF (that 95% of this thread is about) you don't need to use the import room, go directly to the edit room.  If you doing everything correctly, and you have solid white in the edit room, and you're on the PC, you need to update you graphics drivers.

AriLG

DANewman

Can you incorporate the upscaling mechanism that was once in NeoHD - RAW2GPCF ? (for us guys with lesser cameras e.g. T3i)
T3i (main), T2i
------------------
It's not about accuracy,  it's about Aesthetics

MichalT

Thanks David for your response,

V 1.13 worked like a treat converting all, but still no preview in Studio Premium upon import in Step 2.
I just added Protune preset blindy ( well i can see the little icons in the preset box actually previewing the footage,bo not the big preview),
and only about a half of my footage import in premiere CC, the other half says "Unsupported format or damaged file" and I just can't import it. Help please.

The above is just so much faster,please don't make me go back to the currently working workflow of :
1.converting RAW files via raw2cdng into it's own folders of dng files
2.importing the sequences into Step 1 in Studio Premium
3.Converting and previewing in Step 2.
This way does work but I end up with 2x the data plus CF RAW files, but it works and has a preview in Studio Premium and all imports just fine to Premiere CC.

DANewman

I will need sample data that doesn't show in Studio or doesn't import into Premiere.  Not seeing either scenario. 

MichalT

David,

Here's a link to my Google Drive shared folder, with one of them files. Converted with v1.13,no big preview in Premium and unable to import into Premiere CC.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0By_KH2cOvbf_Y3RwUXJqZmNUNFk&usp=sharing

Thank for you help

DANewman

Quote from: AriLG on June 30, 2013, 09:29:34 AM
DANewman

Can you incorporate the upscaling mechanism that was once in NeoHD - RAW2GPCF ? (for us guys with lesser cameras e.g. T3i)

There could be scaling added for non-RAW encodes, but scaling can been done in the NLE without consequences.

iaremrsir

Okay, I got my first sample with hot pixels since black calibration has been added. I was able to work around this by going RAW -> DNG -> CF Studio and using dead pixel removal. But the DNG doesn't retain the color matrix because Studio doesn't show correct color like raw2gpcf.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bytymz6r53EjczB4a3cwNGoxTFE&usp=sharing