GoPro CineForm Studio Premium/Pro Settings for 5D3 RAW Video

Started by Jake Segraves, May 17, 2013, 11:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DANewman

Thank you.  It helps to be motivated by your own projects. I have a film project in 3 weeks time, so this tool needs to be production ready by then.  It is cool that the 5D3 is low in FPN, but other cameras models may see greater benefit.  I will likely black balance for 3200 ISO or greater, otherwise the images are pretty clean.

1%

I tried latest on 50D footage.. its perfect... will have to see how 6D does. I feel comfortable deleting the 50D raw file.

DANewman

I finally have wildcards for batch conversion. Just a bit more testing, but I hope post the batching version later today.

DANewman

New version v1.10

* Added batch conversion support through '*' wildcards.

http://miscdata.com/ML/RAW2GPCFv110.zip

The wildcards allow you to injest and transcode a whole CF card with a single command.

If converting in place (on disk in the same folder, 'cd' to that folder)
raw2gpcf *.RAW *.AVI

basic auto conversion directly from card to local disk:
raw2gpcf L:\DCIM\100EOS5D\*.RAW M:\CineForm\*.AVI

If you black balance you will need the name of the black clip, but this will be used for the entire batch
raw2gpcf L:\DCIM\100EOS5D\*.RAW M:\CineForm\*.AVI -bcL:\DCIM\100EOS5D\M20-2205.RAW

squig

Quote from: DANewman on June 21, 2013, 05:47:33 PM
Not yet, but I have someone interested in doing a Mac port.

;D

Cool, I'd like to try it out. I shoot a lot of low key scenes so the black balancing sounds very interesting.

pinger007

I've read this thread front to back, but I still have little to no clue how to navigate this RAW to Cineform process.  Can someone either explain this to me step-by-step like I'm a 4 year-old, or provide a link to the appropriate thread/post?

Thanks.
all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you

DANewman

What platform are you trying to use?  Have ever used a DOS shell or command prompt?  Helps to know how far back to go?

pinger007

Thanks.  I'm on a Windows 7 PC. 

I've opened up cmd and typed 'raw2gpcf' and hit enter, at which point several lines of text appears describing different prompts.  I typed the name of my file, followed by the name of the new file I wished to create, and ended with -444 (I have Studio Premium).  Once I clicked enter, it just said it couldn't read my raw file (I attempted with several from the 5D Mark III and 50D).  Here's an example of what I typed:  'raw2gpcf X.raw Y.mov -444'

My ultimate goal is to perform a batch process on an entire card of raw files.  Do I need any other software besides Studio Premium and your raw2gpcf?  Do I need Rawanizer?

Thanks.

DANewman

The only step you are missing is to include the path to your media and destination. So if your copy RAW to M:\media you command would be

Raw2gpcf M:\media\X.RAW M:\media\Y.mov -444

pinger007

pinger007

So how do I go about performing a batch process on several raw files at once?  Thanks.

DANewman

Quote from: pinger007 on June 24, 2013, 02:48:27 AM
So how do I go about performing a batch process on several raw files at once?  Thanks.

Raw2gpcf M:\media\*.RAW M:\media\*.mov -444

iaremrsir

Quote from: DANewman on June 21, 2013, 05:36:00 PM
The black balancing will remove any remaining fixed pattern noise (FPN) the sensor can produce. Canon 5D3 is very good a suppressing FPN.  In my own 5D3 experiments, the black balancing did remove the hot pixels that appear at higher ISOs.

Worked perfectly  ;D And it fixed the dead pixels for me as well. Thanks!

DANewman

Now I hope more people can use it, as I think is handles all the current requests and issues.  I know, I know, Mac version is still needed.

iaremrsir

Quote from: DANewman on June 25, 2013, 11:15:25 PM
Now I hope more people can use it, as I think is handles all the current requests and issues.  I know, I know, Mac version is still needed.

I'll be uploading a whole workflow thingy to YouTube pretty soon. I think I've got a few followers who'd dive at this tool. Again, many thanks!  :D If you don't mind my asking, has there been any progress with the search for some different debayer algorithms?

DANewman

Not yet on the demoasic filter, only found GPL, not LGPL/MIT licensed examples, or any nice algorithms not patent encumbered.

iaremrsir

Quote from: DANewman on June 26, 2013, 05:46:16 AM
Not yet on the demoasic filter, only found GPL, not LGPL/MIT licensed examples, or any nice algorithms not patent encumbered.

Okay, this time pretty sure the demosaic is LGPL. Both were added to the repo recently. Im hoping to God these ones work haha

https://github.com/LibRaw/LibRaw/blob/master/internal/aahd_demosaic.cpp

https://github.com/LibRaw/LibRaw/blob/master/internal/dht_demosaic.cpp

iaremrsir

Poked around the repo some more, thought this might be something worth looking at. I have no idea what WF is, but I'm guessing it's a type of banding.

https://github.com/LibRaw/LibRaw/blob/master/internal/wf_filtering.cpp

DANewman

Good finds, these have possibilities.  Which sources are having banding issues, as I'm not see that?

iaremrsir

Quote from: DANewman on June 26, 2013, 05:33:47 PM
Good finds, these have possibilities.  Which sources are having banding issues, as I'm not see that?

I'm not getting any from my cam. I just thought it might be good in situations where the dark frame subtraction doesn't get all of the vertical banding. I'm probably mistaken though. Question about dark frame subtraction: should we match every single exposure component (shutter, iso, aperture) to the normal clip when making dark frames, or can we just do ISO? Also, do we record the dark frames at infinity focus or does it matter? And glad to hear those debayer algorithms have some potential!

DANewman

Black balance is effected by ISO and shutter, not aperture or focus (with the lens cap on, both don't matter.)   I'm thinking to automate the black file selection so that a CF load could be automatic, using the most recent black balance file.

iaremrsir

Quote from: DANewman on June 26, 2013, 10:27:22 PM
Black balance is effected by ISO and shutter, not aperture or focus (with the lens cap on, both don't matter.)   I'm thinking to automate the black file selection so that a CF load could be automatic, using the most recent black balance file.

Okay, thanks for the explanation. That automation would require us not to move our dark frames right? So would it be smart to make dark frame recordings and make them their own folder?

DANewman

I was think reading the first frames on every *.RAW file on an CF Card that is under 30 seconds long, if one is all black, that is you calibration file.  You could still specify with -bcFilename.RAW, but you could to wildcard with auto-black-balancing like this

RAW2GPCF L:\DCIM\100EOS5D\*.RAW M:\CineForm\*.AVI -bc

By dropping the file info from the -bc, switch it could (not done yet) just auto scan the L:\DCIM\100EOS5D\*.RAW source.  You would need to get into the practice doing a black black per CF load (or not deleting your calibration file.)

iaremrsir

Quote from: DANewman on June 27, 2013, 01:57:38 AM
I was think reading the first frames on every *.RAW file on an CF Card that is under 30 seconds long, if one is all black, that is you calibration file.  You could still specify with -bcFilename.RAW, but you could to wildcard with auto-black-balancing like this

RAW2GPCF L:\DCIM\100EOS5D\*.RAW M:\CineForm\*.AVI -bc

By dropping the file info from the -bc, switch it could (not done yet) just auto scan the L:\DCIM\100EOS5D\*.RAW source.  You would need to get into the practice doing a black black per CF load (or not deleting your calibration file.)

That sounds good. Is there a way to make a check sequence? So if the program doesn't find the black frame file on the card, it reverts back to the latest one used. Also, does it matter if the dark frame file is of a higher resolution than the normal recorded files? If it doesn't, that saves some time for the people that have to lower resolution to shoot higher fps.

After thought: would searching through the card for the black frame file slow down the conversion process?