GoPro CineForm Studio Premium/Pro Settings for 5D3 RAW Video

Started by Jake Segraves, May 17, 2013, 11:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

advent2

Quote from: Jake Segraves on June 03, 2013, 09:10:14 PM
A new version of the CineForm decoder that addresses crashing problems within Adobe products (and possibly Resolve) can be downloaded from here:

http://software.gopro.com/PC/new_CFHDEncoder.zip
Thanks
But did not help :( The soft crashes the same way as before.. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated

DANewman

Make you you did the following,

"The contents of this zip file should be copied over the components in C:\Program Files (x86)\CineForm\Tools"

If it only have with RAW and not 4:2:2, then this is the fix for the issue you describe.  Make your you are not running any application that may be using the decoder, as that would prevent the component replacement from suceeding.

iaremrsir

Quote from: DANewman on June 03, 2013, 07:24:23 PM
You are correct, the artifact while reduced, it is still present with other in demosaic settings.  This is due to the very high frequency nature of this image, and that the 5D doesn't have an optical low pass filter designed for video.  The current demosaic filters in CineForm are designed for native resolution bayer cameras (SI-2K, KineRAW S35,etc), not bayer scaled images, like that in the 5D.  Is this yet another reason I'm looking for new demosaic algorithms we can add, something closer to ACR would be nice.

Is it possible to use debayering algorithms from open source tools like dcraw?

Found this list:
https://sites.google.com/site/demosaicalgorithms/Home

Not sure how old they are, or even if you'd be able to use them. Hopefully they help in some way  ;D

iaremrsir

Also, are any of your debayer algorithms using AHD? I believe that's what Adobe uses.

Peter

A lot of red gives even Raw a hard time. I wonder if anybody of you can get out a proper image of this DNG file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10273766/000400.dng (converted by Raw2Dng version 2013-05-30)
EDIT: This is ETTR exposed and exposure has to be pulled down at least by 2 stops before start playing with it.

I tried Adobe Camera Raw (ACR 7.4) and failed. In my final video I converted the specific clips to CineForm Raw by the tool David Newman provided. It's better but they still aren't the quality you would expect. Any ideas?

This is the final video:
https://vimeo.com/67621937

Yaros525

Hello David,
First of all, thank you for the Cineform workflow, it makes things much more faster and easier.

However, I have several troubles on that way (WinXP SP3 / Canon 5d Mark II / GoPro Premium):

1. I can't load dng's into GoPro Studio Premium. While importing it immidiately shows me "Entry point not found" box that says:
"The procedure entry point gzdirect could not be located in the dynamic link library zlib1.dll." Then just grey preview box and nothing more.
  It's not a prob though, since I successfully use DPX2CF.exe to process dng's.

2. RAW2GPCF.exe (v1.01 + latest "fixed" encoder) works fine, if dng's width is multiple of 16.
Since MarkII is recording at 1720 (or 1880), its multiples of 8. If you encode it like that, any player will crash. (Mplayer / VirtualDub / Adobe etc).
Therefore, I have to cut it with -(0,0,1711,968) command. Just a bit of annoyance.

3. >>> ... I'm looking for new demosaic algorithms we can add...
As I understand, current demosaicing options were developed with performance reasons in the first place, so it should be playable at real-time. And they do their job perfectly.
However, none of listed algorithms can be used for production output, because of artifacts and resolution loss.
On the other hand, the main problem of "quality" demosaicing is that it is processor-hungry and, well, slow.
May I ask you to think of adding production-quality options, that can be activated at the final stage of output rendering?

Suggested earlier demosaicing algorithms are pretty good imo, especially VCD ( variance of color difference) and mix of AHD and VCD interpolations.
I'm using Paul Lee's dcraw implementation for a long time, and these approaches give perfect image in 99% cases in regards of pixel accuracy, color artifacts and moire handling.

https://sites.google.com/site/demosaicalgorithms/modified-dcraw

Sincerely, Yaros Law.

1%

Yea, still having the de-bayer issues. Other formats like mp4/pro-res no problem.

DANewman

Thanks for everyone exploring the demosaicing options.  While it is assumed our current filters where selected for performance, that is not entirely true.  While there are some performance options, bi-linear and matrix 5x5, the others where the render grade filters of their day, finishing films from My Bloody Valentine to Slumdog Millionaire.  As computer power has increased even more advanced algorithms are being used. 

The problem we have is GoPro CineForm codec is not open source, while we are working on a SMPTE standard version of CineForm as VC-5, we can't use any GPL code -- although LGPL (lesser GPL v2.1 is fine as a dynamically linked library.)  Several of the offered links point to GPL code, which sadly prevents its use.  Stuck again.

One of the reasons the CineForm RAW workflow is so much easier than everything else, is the controllable demosaic is built into the decoder, effective making every tool RAW capable.  So I still look for a friendly license (MIT & LGPL) or an inexpensive commercial license that could be included in a free decoder distribution.

fatpig

now it crashes on me too... I copied the raw2gpcf.exe into my cineform tools folder, and when running it says "problem occurred..."

[spoiler]Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
  Anwendungsname: RAW2GPCF.exe
  Anwendungsversion: 0.0.0.0
  Anwendungszeitstempel: 51a3899d
  Fehlermodulname: RAW2GPCF.exe
  Fehlermodulversion: 0.0.0.0
  Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 51a3899d
  Ausnahmecode: c0000094
  Ausnahmeoffset: 0000b1bb
  Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
  Zusatzinformation 1: 0a9e
  Zusatzinformation 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Zusatzinformation 3: 0a9e
  Zusatzinformation 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
[/spoiler]

I tried replacing the DLLs which only makes the crash occur a second or so earlier.
Thoughts?

Im on Win7 64 - I bet its another "rights" problem...

EDIT:
my .bat file looks like this:
[spoiler]"C:\Program Files (x86)\CineForm\Tools\raw2gpcf.exe" "X:\test\M0000000.RAW" "X:\test\M0000000.avi" -422 -c[/spoiler]

DANewman

fatpig,

drop raw2gpcf.exe into dependency walker http://www.dependencywalker.com/ (32-bit version) it might tell you what you are missing.

OR

they is something difference about your source files. 

OR

I messed up something regarding non-english default OSes.

iaremrsir

Will these work? They're under gpl2+.

"1) LibRaw demosaic pack GPL2+
       GitHub URL: git://github.com/LibRaw/LibRaw-demosaic-pack-GPL2.git

This pack includes these demosaic implementations:

* AFD and LMMSE implementations from PerfectRaw by Manuel Llorens
        * VCD, Modified AHD, post-demosaic refinemend and median
          filters by Paul Lee"

From https://github.com/LibRaw/LibRaw/blob/master/README.demosaic-packs

EDIT: never mind, I don't think the licenses are compatible.

fatpig

what do you think? putting that dll in the tools folder didnt help.

fatpig

what do you think? putting that dll in the tools folder didnt help.

EDIT: sorry for double post. The dll is in my c:/program files/internet explorer and in c:/program files (x86)/internet explorer

DANewman

Need the 32-bit version Depends.exe to analyze a 32-bit application

fatpig

platu

Quote from: DANewman on June 04, 2013, 06:31:39 PM
Thanks for everyone exploring the demosaicing options.  While it is assumed our current filters where selected for performance, that is not entirely true.  While there are some performance options, bi-linear and matrix 5x5, the others where the render grade filters of their day, finishing films from My Bloody Valentine to Slumdog Millionaire.  As computer power has increased even more advanced algorithms are being used. 

The problem we have is GoPro CineForm codec is not open source, while we are working on a SMPTE standard version of CineForm as VC-5, we can't use any GPL code -- although LGPL (lesser GPL v2.1 is fine as a dynamically linked library.)  Several of the offered links point to GPL code, which sadly prevents its use.  Stuck again.

One of the reasons the CineForm RAW workflow is so much easier than everything else, is the controllable demosaic is built into the decoder, effective making every tool RAW capable.  So I still look for a friendly license (MIT & LGPL) or an inexpensive commercial license that could be included in a free decoder distribution.

I'm glad to hear you are actively looking into enhancing this solution with other demosaicing options.  I am quite happy with this workflow... I'm able to get my final footage looking very close to what ACR can produce, it's just fine detail that is somewhat lacking. Highlight recovery is not as good and noise reduction would be nice.  Keep at it because if these things are solved, I can't envision a quicker or more space efficient workflow.

DANewman

Update to v1.02 of RAW2GPCF.exe

Direct download for RAW2GPCF:  http://miscdata.com/ML/RAW2GPCFv102.zip
Unzip are install here: C:\Program Files (x86)\CineForm\Tools

This replaces the crappy OpenMP threading with some of our own threading library, this should remove a dependency (maybe cause some users issue) and it is up to 2X faster for YUV and RGB exports.

fatpig

Now I put all the files it showed as yellow inside the Tools folder, which are gpsvc.dll and sysntfy.dll and ieshims.dll.

It still crashed, I updated Cineform studio, no luck. Version 1.02 of RAW2GPCF- no luck, too.
I don't know what else to read from the dependencywalker - does someone understand what it says?

maybe someone can check where these dlls lie on their system? thanks! :)

tin2tin

@RAW2GPCF
I'm using this command line:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\GoPro\Tools\RAW2GPCF" C:\Users\user\Desktop\RawFiles\Raw\M01-1120.RAW C:\Users\Public\Documents\Video\aa.mov
In cmd it runs and ends fine with done, but there is no resulting file? I wonder why, could it be that the ratio isn't an HD one(60D footage)? I'm on Win 8 with CineForm Studio Premium.

EDIT: Ah, adding  '-422' makes it produce a file.

DANewman

Quote from: fatpig on June 05, 2013, 09:45:21 AM

Now I put all the files it showed as yellow inside the Tools folder, which are gpsvc.dll and sysntfy.dll and ieshims.dll.

It still crashed, I updated Cineform studio, no luck. Version 1.02 of RAW2GPCF- no luck, too.
I don't know what else to read from the dependencywalker - does someone understand what it says?

maybe someone can check where these dlls lie on their system? thanks! :)

I think you should undo the changes you've made, as it seems you have now mixing 32 and 64-bit components that may break other things.  Even before your changes, I see that IESHIMS.DLL is a 64-bit component where a 32-bit component should be.  Sorry I'm not much of a Window system doctor.  This tool requires very few system resources, just KERNEL32.DLL, USER32.DLL, OLE32.DLL (your system wouldn't boot without these) and MSVCR90.DLL.  All the other files are dependences of dependences, we have no control over that.  So the likely issue in MSVCR90.DLL, even though depends didn't flag it.  GoPro CineForm Studio should have installed the correct version of the Visual Studio 2008 run time libraries (MSVCR90.DLL is part of), but you can install them again from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29

DANewman

Quote from: tin2tin on June 05, 2013, 01:19:27 PM
@RAW2GPCF
I'm using this command line:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\GoPro\Tools\RAW2GPCF" C:\Users\user\Desktop\RawFiles\Raw\M01-1120.RAW C:\Users\Public\Documents\Video\aa.mov
In cmd it runs and ends fine with done, but there is no resulting file? I wonder why, could it be that the ratio isn't an HD one(60D footage)? I'm on Win 8 with CineForm Studio Premium.

EDIT: Ah, adding  '-422' makes it produce a file.

If you are using the free GoPro CineForm Studio, you only have access to the YUV 4:2:2 encoder.  For CineForm RAW and all its coolness, you will need the Premium version of the software.

fatpig

hello DANewman.

I removed the files again and installed from the link you gave.
dependencywalker does show a little bit different.
but not much.

http://www.xup.in/dl,14209115/next.gif/
another screenshot, I really don't know how to proceed.

I am developing the BATCHelor app, and would love to include it.
But my main machine and my laptop, both german Win764 can not run the RAW2GPCF.exe

DANewman

It either suggests the tool doesn't like the OS version -- no idea why. Or you have installed another incompatible application on both your systems.  Do you have same issue with VR2CF.exe, DXP2CF.exe, CF2DPX.exe or ParseCFHD.exe?  These are very similar shell tools that ship with Premium, and they never have this type of error report.

VR2CF.exe is the closest to RAW2GPCF.exe as it the code base it was built upon.
DPX2CF.exe is the next closest using DShow Encoding.
CF2DPX.exe doesn't use DShow, but similar to DPX2CF for other resources.
ParseCFHD.exe is the simpliest.

Test these tools, add maybe I can understand what is wrong/missing on your system.

advent2

It seems like my issue is the same or close to fatpig.. as my win7 x64 in with Russian interface..