Uncompressed 14-bit RAW video testing - 5D Mark III

Started by bumkicho, May 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

melllok

I'm trying to install raw rec module, but August build
(https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7QlH_BH2m32Nm9hVHZpVlpCWU0&usp=sharing)
doesn't seem to work for me. After I successfuly install ML on top of 1.1.3, the I replace ML folder and the .fir file on the card and try to update the firmware, the camera says "update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again".

RenatoPhoto

If you have successfully installed ML why are you doing a firmware update?  A successful install already would include a one-time fir file update

Try to follow this guide:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0

You are also posting on the wrong thread this should be posted on the install thread above.  This thread is for results of ML in Mark III
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

erek

so for the most consistently reliable experience with Uncompressed 14-bit RAW the 64GB Lexar 1000x CF card is the way to go?  most them are consistently fast enough to handle 1920x1080 24p continuously and fill up the card before skipping frames and or stopping?

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

budafilms

I'm a Little confused about Raw Modules.
(In fact, I am finish a movie in ML RAW during 4 months and I tried not change firmware from the beginning) .

- I upgrade ML in my 5D III.
- I found two similar modules: MLV RAW and RAW REC.
- Wich I have to use on Macintosh?

Any idea of thread (No technical please) can help me.

mine85

Hey guys. Here is my first attempt at the 5D Mark iii. I'm using the Dec 27th build and sometimes i have to remove and return the battery for the camera to boot (simply switching it on and off doesn't help) does anybody else have this issue?

ML is installed on a Toshiba SD card (30mbps) and footage goes to a Komputerbay 1050x 128GB card.

Thanks for your time guys and do have a Happy 'belated' ;) New Year!

5d Mark III, 550d, EF 50mm f/1.8

austinmarti

Quote from: budafilms on January 06, 2014, 07:25:39 AM
I'm a Little confused about Raw Modules.
(In fact, I am finish a movie in ML RAW during 4 months and I tried not change firmware from the beginning) .

- I upgrade ML in my 5D III.
- I found two similar modules: MLV RAW and RAW REC.
- Wich I have to use on Macintosh?

Any idea of thread (No technical please) can help me.
I believe MLV RAW is a feature which allows you to record as a new .mlv (magic lantern video) format.

I would stick with RAW REC.

Maybe someone who knows more can help you out.

austinmarti

Quote from: mine85 on January 06, 2014, 09:41:00 AM
Hey guys. Here is my first attempt at the 5D Mark iii. I'm using the Dec 27th build and sometimes i have to remove and return the battery for the camera to boot (simply switching it on and off doesn't help) does anybody else have this issue?

ML is installed on a Toshiba SD card (30mbps) and footage goes to a Komputerbay 1050x 128GB card.

Beautiful shots!

I believe I'm using an older build, but I do have the same issue sometimes (having to remove battery).

budafilms

Quote from: austinmarti on January 06, 2014, 06:28:30 PM
I believe MLV RAW is a feature which allows you to record as a new .mlv (magic lantern video) format.

I would stick with RAW REC.

Maybe someone who knows more can help you out.

Yes It's like you say. But the soft for Osx mavericks doesn't work, so, I have a lot of shots that cannot open. Don't used it for sty serious!

mine85

Quote from: austinmarti on January 06, 2014, 06:33:14 PM
Beautiful shots!

I believe I'm using an older build, but I do have the same issue sometimes (having to remove battery).

;D Thanks! I'll try the latest build today to see whether that'll remedy the problem

Krane

Quote from: mine85 on January 06, 2014, 09:41:00 AM

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/83477023[vimeo]
That's a great start. Here's a few tips for the future:

Focal point -- Consider someone or some object you compose in the shot to draw our attention. Typically something that unusual or unique.

Moving objects -- things don't always have to move all the time. Where there is little or no movement, you can choose to move the camera instead. After all, it is a video.

Use the zoom -- Zoom towards the cell tower, or away from it.  Or consider a tilt, boom up/down, pan, or dolly in/out. The rack focus was a great idea, but try and have someone or some thing specific to rack from and to.

We look forward to your next video!
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

erek

is this 14-bit RAW Uncompressed recording debayered?  i heard it's 14-bit RGGB with no debayering involved?

mine85

Quote from: Krane on January 12, 2014, 07:22:32 AM
That's a great start. Here's a few tips for the future:

Focal point -- Consider someone or some object you compose in the shot to draw our attention. Typically something that unusual or unique.

Moving objects -- things don't always have to move all the time. Where there is little or no movement, you can choose to move the camera instead. After all, it is a video.

Use the zoom -- Zoom towards the cell tower, or away from it.  Or consider a tilt, boom up/down, pan, or dolly in/out. The rack focus was a great idea, but try and have someone or some thing specific to rack from and to.

We look forward to your next video!

Thank you very much for the feedback and the time Krane. I get what you're saying about moving objects, someone told me the shots look like still images  :o I really need to practice more on my storytelling/scene blocking etc using the camera it seems.

Thanks again for the advice ;D

MichaelHeiland

Hey this is probably a very well known thing but I just wish to get some clarity. 

I have been shooting .MLV raw this whole weekend and have discovered that the .WAV audio file is about 2 seconds longer than my .dng clip length. 

Why is that?  Is there a way to have it the same length?  Also is the extra audio at the end of the clip or at the beginning?  It appears to be at the end. 

Thanks again for such an amazing tool guys.  You're amazing. 
5D iii, 60D and EOS-M

adotphoto

^^^^^might wana do some reading on the previous pages buddy about the audio files

newb here checking in, just read this entire thread. Lots of info and knowledge gained :) 2 komputerbay cards coming in the mail thursday. Hoping they arent corrupted ^___^

PressureFM

Quote from: MichaelHeiland on January 21, 2014, 07:15:55 PM
Hey this is probably a very well known thing but I just wish to get some clarity. 

I have been shooting .MLV raw this whole weekend and have discovered that the .WAV audio file is about 2 seconds longer than my .dng clip length. 

Why is that?  Is there a way to have it the same length?  Also is the extra audio at the end of the clip or at the beginning?  It appears to be at the end. 

Thanks again for such an amazing tool guys.  You're amazing.

The processor is already, more or less, maxed out. So the commands are queued to end one process after the other. First it stops video and then sound, hence why sound has a longer duration than video.

As have been suggested, it is very informative to put on your reading glasses and grab your favorite cup of beverage and start reading. I doubt people are that interested in spoon-feeding when the treasure trove of information is freely available.

Krane

Quote from: PressureFM on January 29, 2014, 08:49:37 AM
The processor is already, more or less, maxed out. So the commands are queued to end one process after the other. First it stops video and then sound, hence why sound has a longer duration than video.

As have been suggested, it is very informative to put on your reading glasses and grab your favorite cup of beverage and start reading. I doubt people are that interested in spoon-feeding when the treasure trove of information is freely available.
Its a lot more complicated then that. For one, its dry material. And two, despite some efforts to organize related topics, its still scattered in bits and pieces all over the sight. Its like trying to put together a puzzle while putting together a puzzle inside of that  puzzle.

Midphase

Quote from: Krane on January 29, 2014, 05:42:44 PM
Its a lot more complicated then that. For one, its dry material. And two, despite some efforts to organize related topics, its still scattered in bits and pieces all over the sight. Its like trying to put together a puzzle while putting together a puzzle inside of that  puzzle.

It may feel that way but it's really not once you actually start digging in. Sure it can be overwhelming at first, but once you learn where to go look and which topics to follow it's really not that bad.

Magic Lantern is decisively not designed for people who just want to install and play and there are plenty of warnings written all over the site to discourage that type of attitude. If you're allergic to manuals and impatient, you might want to move along, there are other easier solutions in the marketplace for shooting raw.

marekk

... and finally switched from 60d to 5dmkIII :) yeeahh :)

Krane

Quote from: Midphase on January 29, 2014, 07:13:08 PM
It may feel that way but it's really not once you actually start digging in. Sure it can be overwhelming at first, but once you learn where to go look and which topics to follow it's really not that bad.

Magic Lantern is decisively not designed for people who just want to install and play and there are plenty of warnings written all over the site to discourage that type of attitude. If you're allergic to manuals and impatient, you might want to move along, there are other easier solutions in the marketplace for shooting raw.
I'm not allergic to manuals, I just don't want to spend half my time searching for the right one. And then half again of that deciphering their content.

On the bright side, some professionally  written manual don't do as good a job at explaining thing as a few of the instructions put forth here. Getting ML set up and going wasn't that difficult.

Midphase

Quote from: Krane on February 06, 2014, 09:20:22 PM
I'm not allergic to manuals, I just don't want to spend half my time searching for the right one. And then half again of that deciphering their content.

Welcome to open source!

Midphase

On the Feb 8 nightly on the 5D3, I have GD on, but I set it to turn off during recording. Well, GD will be on, then I hit record, but once recording stops GD doesn't come back on until I turn the camera off and then back on.

Bug or am I doing something wrong?

aaristim

Quote from: Midphase on February 09, 2014, 08:49:01 AM
On the Feb 8 nightly on the 5D3, I have GD on, but I set it to turn off during recording. Well, GD will be on, then I hit record, but once recording stops GD doesn't come back on until I turn the camera off and then back on.

I'm having the same bug, it must be a bug! Did you report it?

QuickHitRecord

Quote from: Midphase on February 09, 2014, 08:49:01 AM

I had the same issue. I realized that my SD card was locked, and basically was reverting my settings every time I turned the camera off. I think that I had 'Global Draw Disable' on Allow (or maybe it was turned off) saved as a setting. In any case, I switched it (also, I think that I switched Global Draw to 'Live View Only') and all was well.
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)