Uncompressed 14-bit RAW video testing - 5D Mark III

Started by bumkicho, May 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaco

Hello. Recently I bought Komputerbay 128Gb 1050x UDMA7 Compact flash. I'm testing it in my 5Dmk3. It can only record up to 8:48, than it starts to lose many frames. It's quite strange, because I am getting really constant results -- every time it goes good up to 8:26 and then the speed falls to 0.x Mb/s and will stop at 8:48 (42.8 Gb).

What's more iteresting -- I also tested my 64Gb Lexar 1000x card with nearly the same results. 42.8~42.9 Gb max write.

timetraveller

Hi!

I'm new in the forum and new in the world of RAW video.

I finally got a 5D3, and I'm planning a shoot which would involve shots of a maximum length of 2minutes.

I'd use KB 1000x 64GB cards.

I'll answer my own questions in RED

1.- What release would be best (stable) for a shoot of this kind without losing frames in those 1-2 minute shots?

I'm using Nightly builds since I post this message without any problem.

2.- Right now, audio recording is not possible in RAW, so, what approach would you use for audio recording?

I plan to record it separately as always do, but in "H.264", the audio of the camera clips has been always useful for synchronize the "good" audio from the external recorder.

So with RAW I guess I'm "forced" to use a slate, like in my old film times! :)

I use a SLATE as in the old film times.

jonnyginese

I just got a 5d3 in the mail... And it has firmware 1.2.3... Which is odd because the newest one on the canon website is only 1.2.1.

I'm guessing I need to downgrade.. Have the ML guys looked at 1.2.3 to see if any new goodies have been unlocked? I think that 1.2.1 was when clean HDMI came out.

anyways, I have the KB 1050x card and would like to do raw. I want to setup an SD card to boot ML so that I can clean format the CF card after dumbing the footage. Do I need to get an older firmware to downgrade? If so where can I get it?

Thanks guys
Cameras: 5D3 | 60D
Prime Lenses: Samyang 14mm 2.8 | 24mm 1.4 | 35mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Nikkor 105 2.5
Zoom Lenses: Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC | Canon 80-200 2.8 L

kaco

Quote from: jonnyginese on October 27, 2013, 03:01:51 PM
I just got a 5d3 in the mail... And it has firmware 1.2.3... Which is odd because the newest one on the canon website is only 1.2.1.

I'm guessing I need to downgrade.. Have the ML guys looked at 1.2.3 to see if any new goodies have been unlocked? I think that 1.2.1 was when clean HDMI came out.

anyways, I have the KB 1050x card and would like to do raw. I want to setup an SD card to boot ML so that I can clean format the CF card after dumbing the footage. Do I need to get an older firmware to downgrade? If so where can I get it?

Thanks guys

yes, you have to downgrade the firmware:
http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=17898

Midphase

Kinda curious what 1.2.3 has. Is there any way to back up the firmware before downgrading it to an older one?

jonnyginese

Quote from: Midphase on October 27, 2013, 06:30:17 PM
Kinda curious what 1.2.3 has. Is there any way to back up the firmware before downgrading it to an older one?

This is why I asked this. ha.

And it doesn't look like the link is working for the 1.1.3. off that site. is there another link?
Cameras: 5D3 | 60D
Prime Lenses: Samyang 14mm 2.8 | 24mm 1.4 | 35mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Nikkor 105 2.5
Zoom Lenses: Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC | Canon 80-200 2.8 L

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

murdoc

Could someone point me to tutorial how to install ML with RAW video for 5D MKIII? I've read many sites on internet and all of them point to different files etc. I'm confused. I'm using 1.1.3 firmware on 5D.

kaco

Quote from: kaco on October 26, 2013, 04:15:08 PM
Hello. Recently I bought Komputerbay 128Gb 1050x UDMA7 Compact flash. I'm testing it in my 5Dmk3. It can only record up to 8:48, than it starts to lose many frames. It's quite strange, because I am getting really constant results -- every time it goes good up to 8:26 and then the speed falls to 0.x Mb/s and will stop at 8:48 (42.8 Gb).

What's more iteresting -- I also tested my 64Gb Lexar 1000x card with nearly the same results. 42.8~42.9 Gb max write.

The maximum file size in FAT32 is 4.29 Gb. Since I am constantly getting max recording of 8:48 mins (10 raw 4.29 raw files) I would say this is a kind of a ML bug?

5D3shooter

Quote from: kaco on October 30, 2013, 02:23:29 PM
The maximum file size in FAT32 is 4.29 Gb. Since I am constantly getting max recording of 8:48 mins (10 raw 4.29 raw files) I would say this is a kind of a ML bug?

You can format your card with your computer to EXFAT format and then it won't do that.  With Fat32 you will get spanned files that have to be merged back together..this is not that hard, but if your new it might be complicating.  Best is to use EXFAT format.

hkarlsen

Hi! Thanks for a great community!
To questions

1. Why is my overlay shutterspeed saying 1/48 whilst my ML menu is saying 1/50 +180 degree. I need 1/50 so which is the correct one?
2. All my dng/raw files are reporting to have been shot at 5500 kelving whitebalance, even though I set it differently in ML Menues. How can I change this?

Thanks!

Midphase

1. 1/48 is what Canon cameras can do, ML setting appears as 50 but I'm pretty sure it's just 48 in reality.

2. Your DNG don't have any metadata from the camera, so the white balance value is whatever the app you're using defaults to. You need to set it manually.

hkarlsen

Quote from: Midphase on October 31, 2013, 04:32:17 PM
1. 1/48 is what Canon cameras can do, ML setting appears as 50 but I'm pretty sure it's just 48 in reality.

2. Your DNG don't have any metadata from the camera, so the white balance value is whatever the app you're using defaults to. You need to set it manually.

Thank you very much for quick response. Are people experiencing any flickr in PAL/25p land with ML video at 1/48. Should be a problem I guess..

KurtAugust

I'm in PAL not having any trouble shooting tungsten or tube lights. Only problematic scenes are led-screens at concerts, but I don't know whether their native refresh rate are 50hz. I can't imagine a camera being successful if it were a problem in normal conditions.

(Actually it's annoying hardly any consumer compact camera has a 25 or 50fps mode right now)
www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog

kaco

Quote from: 5D3shooter on October 31, 2013, 12:28:46 PM
You can format your card with your computer to EXFAT format and then it won't do that.  With Fat32 you will get spanned files that have to be merged back together..this is not that hard, but if your new it might be complicating.  Best is to use EXFAT format.

thanks, I didn't know that the camera will format the card into FAT32. One more interesting thing -- I had the ML on small SD (FAT) and one 128Gb CF in EXFAT. It was also spanning files and I had to format the SD into EXFAT as well.

hkarlsen

Some questions regarding CF Cards and black&white focuszoom

1. Have several Komputerbay 64 gb cards, formated on my Mac as exFAT. They all work great, except the first couple of files, that will linger at writespeeds around 72 MB/s. The third file will get write speed at 90mb+. Is this to be expected, or is there any way to avoid it?

2. When a card has been transfered to my mac, I just delete the files from the card and I dont do in-camera formating (to keep the exfat structure). Does this method create issues down the road (messy file structures on-card). How do people maintain their exFAT formatting over time?

3. Why is the first step of focus magnification black&white? It's also pixelated and much harder to judge focus on. Is there any way to use the standard magnification? (5dmrk3)

Midphase

1. Yes, there's a setting called something like "Card Warm Up" which will write several small files to the card before you record to get it going at its max rate.

2. I don't think there are any negative impacts on formatting your card on a computer vs. in camera.

3. Not sure, my  guess is that it's got to do with the CPU, but you might want to submit a request, although I suspect that if it could be done in color they would implement that. The reason why the 1st step of magnification is like that but the 2nd is normal is because the 1st step is what's called "Crop Mode" allowing you to shoot while magnified. Perhaps there could be a way that the developers could allow people to simply disable Crop Mode completely that might allow for regular magnification?

hirumhorkweller

Hi, would love to know what is the highest resolution everyone is able to achieve continuous shooting at 60fps.  Please list your response to this query with the type of card you use.  Mine is:

CARD = Komputerbay 1050x 128 GB
HIGHEST RESOLUTION 60fps = 1472x516 (75.9 MB/s)

The odd thing is that I can get continuous shooting at 1920x1080 at 24fps, which is a higher data rate (82.9 MP/s) than the above rate, but I still can't get any higher resolution than above at 60fps.  Very frustrating.

wongfaehong

"June 19th build.

I recorded over 4gb(fat32 card).. but record didn't stop .

why so?

and.. now i have files M21-1520.RAW .R00 .R01 .R02   ....

it doesn't work at raw2dng ...

HELP me plz"

If you still have this problem, try downloading RAWmagic 1.0 (64bit) by Rarevision from the iTunes store. Its free. Then add all of the similarly named files i.e. M21-1520.RAW .R00 .R01 .R02 into the queue. It will read this series of files as a spanned file and should render out the CinemaDNG folder without any issues. This is what worked for me.

hkarlsen

What is the considered safe working temperature for 5dmrk3? And how do people manage temperature issues, what is quickest with regards to cooling etc.
Thanks!

eoshq

Quote from: hkarlsen on November 07, 2013, 12:28:40 PM
What is the considered safe working temperature for 5dmrk3? And how do people manage temperature issues, what is quickest with regards to cooling etc.
Thanks!

How hot does your 5D3 get recording raw video? How about normal video?

Here is my report: I wanted to test what happens when the 5D3 spans over 4GB in h.264 recording. It got up to 54 degree C recording 1080p24 ALL-I h.264 for ten minutes without Magic Lantern loaded. And this was in an indoor air-conditioned room at night. So I am assuming that Canon planed for it to get that hot probably a bit hotter. I did not get any heat warnings in the LCD.

Now the 5D3 definitely gets hotter and gets hot faster recording raw video. I've seen it get to 57 degree C. Still no warnings. Will it damage the camera? I hope not, but common sense tells us that heat kills electronics over time and so it will do it no favors.

To cool it down, remove the memory cards and battery for 30 minutes, I wouldn't place mine on ice packs or anything, that just seems to be asking for trouble, moisture vapor and humidity and all will do it no favors either.

Midphase

The biggest contributor to heat is the display screen. Perhaps lowering the brightness might help, or even better using an external EVF monitor which would cause the internal one to turn off.

hkarlsen

Quote from: Midphase on November 07, 2013, 06:20:58 PM
The biggest contributor to heat is the display screen. Perhaps lowering the brightness might help, or even better using an external EVF monitor which would cause the internal one to turn off.

I saw it rise to 53C yesterday after perhaps 10 minutes use and standby. This was with external LCD connected. The room had alot of lights (food packshot) but it wasnt that hot actually. 3 minutes of downtime cooled it down to 47, and I kept rolling. Is there an onboard temperature shutoff function?

In other news. I brought the packshot to a pro grader in a Davinci suite. He could not believe his eyes. It mimiced RED Epics cleanness in many ways, he said. And we tried a skintone key, which was "through the roof". Exciting times!