Uncompressed 14-bit RAW video testing - 5D Mark III

Started by bumkicho, May 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdicus

Quote from: gdicus on August 26, 2013, 12:50:08 AM
I've been using one of the first RAW builds ever since it first came out. Not sure which version, but it has not worked flawlessly, but definitely it has worked and am pretty happy with it. So much so, I have not felt it necessary to update it and have been doing lots of work with it.

Now, however, I wish to start playing with later versions to see what you have done since then.  Having installed the 21st nightly build, though, it fails to work.  It gives me skipped files after only a few frames at a rate of about 7MB/s.  I have tried disabling all the module loads except the raw_rec and defaulting to a minimal functionality with no success. And yes, I formatted the CF cards (both hoodman and komputerbay x1000).

So, I pop my previous install back into the SD slot (Each install is on different SD cards) and I'm back up and running without a hitch.

Anybody have a clue as to what to look at here.

OK, I figured it out, but have a question.  I put the camera photo mode to 'L' and not 'RAW' and it is now working.

What is ML doing now that requires this change?  The programmer in me really 'needs' to know. ; )

thanks,

glenn

Midphase

ML is not doing anything. Canon firmware is obviously freeing up some buffer RAM when raw still photos are disabled.

gybra

QuoteMay 18th build? That's two months old. Shouldn't you be using something more recent, like August 6th perhaps (if not the current August 21st one)?

Yes its an old build so forgive me for the noob question Im about to ask: Where can I get the  August 6th build and how would I install it since i already have magic lantern on the camera and cant remove it. Thankyou for your help its seriously appreciated!  :) I was freaking out that its the camera but it seems like its the card or the build.

tonybeccar

Quote from: gybra on August 25, 2013, 10:56:48 PM
have you shot with 5D raw? Test it first to see if it meets your needs because there are some bugs. How long is your shoot? What are you filming?

Thanks for your answer!! I'm assuming the file sizes are pretty much the same for 720p 60fps right?? I mean it'll be the same data rate..

I mean.. I am often watching videos on the 5D and reading through the forums.. there are LOTS of videos that do not show any bugs.. and recently they made a commercial.. so there are people shooting stable. And no, never shot yet, I own a 7D and it's still in progress. I mean I just gotta find a stable build right? What's that about the blue line?? Is there a thread about bugs??

Thanks again!! Very kind of you!! :)

SteveTownsend

@weoul

Thank you for spotting the elementary error.  I have redone the benchmark test and edited the image in the previous post.

Has anyone go the same 5 min benchmark test of a Lexar card, to know what I might expect?

gdicus

Quote from: Midphase on August 26, 2013, 05:01:14 AM
ML is not doing anything. Canon firmware is obviously freeing up some buffer RAM when raw still photos are disabled.

Obviously? LOL!

Doesn't explain the 7MB/s.

Actually, I think it may have been a card switching oversight on my part... Each time the SD card is switched out, the default card was toggling between the two cards. I've ML to default to CF and all is well. Nice feature!!!

You guys are the bomb!!!!

Midphase

Quote from: gybra on August 26, 2013, 05:32:10 AM
Yes its an old build so forgive me for the noob question Im about to ask: Where can I get the  August 6th build and how would I install it since i already have magic lantern on the camera and cant remove it.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6362.0

Just replace the files on the card.

Sthirasukha

Can someone explain me the logic of the Raw file value while recording?
Example: M20-1250.raw (first shot) and the shot after can be M20-1263.raw and not M20-1251.raw as expected. Did I miss something? I have to use MovieSlate and this could be helpful to understand the way it works to organize my shooting. Many thanks!

gybra

Does anyone have the August 6th build  or a link on where to get it. The august 21st build has a bug when your in the magic lantern live view its gray and shows a bunch of pixels. cheers.

Danne

Quote from: gybra on August 26, 2013, 11:46:09 PM
Does anyone have the August 6th build  or a link on where to get it. The august 21st build has a bug when your in the magic lantern live view its gray and shows a bunch of pixels. cheers.

Here,s alink to the 6th august build
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4tCJMlOYfirQ1J1N1Zaa3piT3M/edit?usp=sharing
Didn,t used it myself though, It,s for the 5d mark 3, I take no responsibility

gybra

Hey guys so I updated the firmware to the august 21st build (THANKYOU Midphase!) and everything is working pretty good however after some more test shots I got the digital line as well as a super weird frame. I was hoping since this frame is different from the previous ones that maybe you would be able to know whats causing this problem and how to fix it. I have noticed that all of the digital lines are near the bottom of the camera and I was wondering if that has anything to do with how data is written to the card? Again thankyou so much for all your help! :)

here is the first frame that malfunctioned after the update today:

and here is the weird frame:

any help would be appreciated. Is this the wrong place to post these two images on the forum? Should I start a new thread? Thankyou again!

Midphase

What resolution and frame rate are you shooting at?

Do you have Global Draw enabled? What about FPS Override?

Are you getting reasonably fast write speeds on your card?

Do the errors appear when you convert or import in specific apps? Have you tried different conversion/playback methods?

gybra

QuoteWhat resolution and frame rate are you shooting at?

Do you have Global Draw enabled? What about FPS Override?

Are you getting reasonably fast write speeds on your card?

Do the errors appear when you convert or import in specific apps? Have you tried different conversion/playback methods?

1920 X 1080 @ 24p

I seem to only get the white bands near the beginning of recording IE: 4-6 frames in. The weird frame was 199 frames into the clip.

I was zoomed in 5x or 10x i cant remember when i was shooting one shot and thats where the weird frame came in (I believe). I will test more with 5x zoom to try and replicate the problem again to make sure that is what i was doing. If i get another problem when Im shooting 5x doesn't that mean that the cards not corrupt cause its a consistent problem that is able to be replicated? I mean if the card is corrupt then it would mess up at random times not when I am able to set it and get the same weird frame result sometime, right?

I believe I have a fast enough card (komputerbay 65gb 1000x) Below is a benchmark test-- [it is the aug 22nd build not the 21st sorry!], I ordered another another one to compare and see if possibly the cards corrupt. Now just waiting for it to arrive. [Dont kill me but I cant afford a hoodman steel (._. ) ]

Here is the 5min benchmark test from the first card that may be giving me problems (below)

I convert the raw files with raw2cdng and then open them in Davinci Reslove, I also tried last night with raw2dng and I had the same result with the same frame. So it has to be when its written to the card, right?

kukysimon

Midphase

Ok, couple of things:

First of all, your write speeds are ok, but not great, and that could be part of the problem. Hopefully all of these write speed issues will start going away as soon as those new 1200X cards come to market.

Secondly, it sounds like you're shooting in crop mode, I haven't had particularly good results in crop mode. If you're shooting at standard 1920X1080 resolution, you probably shouldn't shoot in crop.

IMHO crop mode isn't particularly stable and I have gotten weird frames myself. I don't use crop mode unless I'm doing very short and very specific shots where I really need that extra magnification.

gybra

QuoteOk, couple of things:

First of all, your write speeds are ok, but not great, and that could be part of the problem. Hopefully all of these write speed issues will start going away as soon as those new 1200X cards come to market.

Secondly, it sounds like you're shooting in crop mode, I haven't had particularly good results in crop mode. If you're shooting at standard 1920X1080 resolution, you probably shouldn't shoot in crop.

IMHO crop mode isn't particularly stable and I have gotten weird frames myself. I don't use crop mode unless I'm doing very short and very specific shots where I really need that extra magnification.

Thankyou Midphase and everyone involved! you guys are the bomb! It seems that the problem was the card. I have been testing the new Komputerbay 64gb card today and havent been able to produce the same problem yet so everything looks good (*knock on the biggest piece of wood available) I will continue testing tomorrow and will report if there are any problems. On a side note how can you tell if its a good card in terms of speed. I was under the impression that any card that writes over 83mb/s is going to be able to film 1920X1080 is that true? Also, iv been looking at the 1200x cards and JESUS they are expensive!

One thing that I have recently noticed is that every time i turn the camera back on I have to manually change from the SD card to the CF card. Has anyone else had this issue?

Here is the newest 5min benchmark with the new card, Is this a good/fast card?

** one that I have noticed is that at the top of the benchmark test is says "CF SMI Corporation SILICONMOTION SM2236AC" and my previous card (the corrupted one)
only had "CF CF CARD". Why is that? Does that make a difference? Could one be a counterfeit card that Iv been hearing so much about? And again thankyou so much you guys are the best!  :)

gdicus

Quote from: gybra on August 28, 2013, 07:50:56 AM
One thing that I have recently noticed is that every time i turn the camera back on I have to manually change from the SD card to the CF card. Has anyone else had this issue?

Yes, I had the same problem.  There is a menu option to have ML default to the CF card on boot up. 

gybra

Thanks gdicus! Would anyone also happen to know if you can record RAW and HDR at the same time or would that blow up the sensor?

Midphase

I don't think it's possible to record "regular" raw and "dual ISO" raw simultaneously, nor is it possible to record raw and h.264 at the same time.

kukysimon

i once saw in a video that the 264 ini settings can be altered and 264 compression could be changed , bitrate etc etc,..., does anyone know in which version this was the case?
and if i were to use an older version if it would work after i played around with a version of this month for example. i assume it would, but would like to see if anyone had a bad experience going to an older version.

Midphase

The most recent version should allow you to increase the bit rate of the h.264 codec...however from what I read, don't expect noticeable increase in quality. Maybe some very very slight block reduction in the shadows, but that's about it. Sharpness and detail will not increase.

Mati

gybra

So I have done more testing with the new and the old card and they both are creating frames with white discolored data on them. I doubt that it is the cards that are bad now because while it is possible that both cards are defective its more likely the camera or when they are being converted (but doubtful because Iv tried 2 different converting programs previously and have had the same problem on the same frames with both). Has the white bands or discolored frames happened to anyone else, is this common and could magic lantern be frying the sensor? I read that all the code does is copy the raw data before its compressed to H.264 and put it onto the CF card so that wouldn't make sense that it is..Sorry for all the questions I just want to contribute and make sure that this doesn't happen to anyone else. Cheers!

gdicus

Try recording H.264 without ML and see if there are any artifacts first. If you don't find any, then load ML again and capture more H.264 footage and see if it returns then.

If not, then you know it is in the raw capture and workflow, not your sensor.

I would also reset all your ML settings to default and try running it that way.

It's always best to assume user operator error first, stick to that assumption for as long as humanly possible, before trying to place blame on the hardware or software when others are reporting working installations.

Majorbludd

I've been lurking here for a long time and usually my questions are already answered on the forums but I can't seem to figure out what's going on with my raw recording. I have a 64GB 1000x card and when I record 24fps 1920x1080 I can record for about a min but then the camera shuts off. The file appears to be intact but I'm wondering if that is normal behavior. I have recorded to a slower card and the recording simply stop if the buffer would max out. Has anyone else experienced the camera just shutting off while recording raw video?

Derp. I just realized that my camera was set to auto off after one min. Changed that and now I get continuous raw recording 1080p. Woot!