Uncompressed 14-bit RAW video testing - 5D Mark III

Started by bumkicho, May 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midphase

Quote from: Chalk on August 15, 2013, 08:27:08 AM
Just wondering how many people have tried out this latest Aug 6th Build and know if it's better? Heard Aug 2nd version was a bit ropey.  Also a lot of people saying July 22nd was working nice.  Anyone have a download link to that version handy?  Thanks!

I just started testing the August 6 version. Seems fine so far, as a matter of fact I'd say more than fine since I've been able to record at 1920X1288 rather effortlessly (with Global Draw On and RAW enabled on my stills setting).

Northernlight

I have been away from this topic for a few weeks now. In latest build for 5D3 (aug.6), audio recording is no longer present.

I have tried to search, but can not find anything directly regarding this.

Is audio gone (for now), or am I doing something wrong?

Midphase

Yes, audio has been disabled until it can be figured out how to maintain sync. Until then, it's pretty useless so the developers sought to disable it for the time being.

Toffifee

Audio support will be included in g3gg0's new .MLV format  :)

kukysimon

with the latest built of today, what and where could i find the changes or improvements or fixes infos of todays built of august 21 ?
sorry for asking, am new to this here... and i haven't found any place one can look up what was done in a newer version .. 

can anyone help?

Midphase

You have to read the Commits and keep up with various threads scattered around the ML boards to get a real sense of what's been changed on the latest version.

It can seem to be daunting, and quite honestly I just like to believe that with each new version they're making the code better and more efficient.

One of the new improvements with tonight's build should be the addition of DIGIC focus peaking which should be faster and more efficient for the CPU to handle (i.e. allow us to use it while recording without too many problems). I know that they've also been working on time code audio output, but I don't think it's been implemented yet.

Toni Dove

Current nightly 5d3 download does not include DCIM and MISC folders. Do these need to be there for ML to load or are they no longer necessary? Most instructions say the 3 folders - DCIM, MISC, ML plus auto exec and bootflag files.
Thanks!

Midphase

I think the DCIM and MISC folders are automatically created when you insert the card in your camera....so I'd say don't worry if they're not there.

gybra

Hey guys so I have been using the ML 5d mark iii hack for a while and everything is working (minus a few bugs) but today during the conversion process of Raw to Cdng. One of the dng files had a blue digital line across it (for only one frame). I have also noticed vertical lines (most notably around the umbrella) my understanding is that its from a high iso setting however I wasnt shooting high (1600 maybe). I was recording at 1920 X 1080 with a Komputer Bay 64gb card with the 2.3 version May 18th build.

Now Im not an expert which is why i figured you guys would know:

Is having digital blue lines or vertical lines normal/is there a way to prevent this?
Should I exchange the camera? (its only roughly 15 days old)

Again thankyou so much for your time and any help would be greatly appreciated!  :)

here is the image: http://www.newglare.com/s/cc_images/cache_933922375.jpg

weoul

Quote from: gybra on August 25, 2013, 07:46:39 AM

Is having digital blue lines or vertical lines normal/is there a way to prevent this?
Should I exchange the camera? (its only roughly 15 days old)

Komputerbay cards are not too reliable - just sent back 1 corrupted  card of  4 bought at Amazon. One frame is not a problem, I hope.
BTW how are you going to switch off the bootflag in camera before exchanging it?

SteveTownsend

Hi Guys

Complete newbie here!

I think I have done everything OK but this si a question whether my KB cards are OK.  Both perform similar and cut out stopping recording at around 1 minute rec time.  The cards I have are 64GB and a 128GB.

Is this OK or are the cards duff?

Thanks

gybra

QuoteKomputerbay cards are not too reliable - just sent back 1 corrupted  card of  4 bought at Amazon. One frame is not a problem, I hope.
BTW how are you going to switch off the bootflag in camera before exchanging it?

I was going to update the firmware back to the original settings on the 5d mark iii, take out the SD and CF card and exchange the camera. I originally had the cannon 6D and realized that it only could record a max of 50mbs so I returned it for the 5d mark iii and I was never contacted about the 6d yet, (*knock on wood) so it seems alright.

So its the card thats the problem? Has anyone else had this problem?

QuoteI think I have done everything OK but this si a question whether my KB cards are OK.  Both perform similar and cut out stopping recording at around 1 minute rec time.  The cards I have are 64GB and a 128GB.

Is this OK or are the cards duff?

Have you benchmarked them? [click the trashcan button and scroll over to the Debug menu and then scroll down click benchmark -- then Card R/W benchmark (5min)]

*Tip: Make sure your 5D Mark III's sleep mode is set above 5 min otherwise the camera will shut off during benchmarking

See how fast they can read or write and post the results. Komputerbay cards, it seems,  are all over the place you may get a good one you may get a bad one. I heard that the bigger KomputerBay CF cards (128gb) have trouble handling Raw footage from the 5D mark III at 1920 X 1080 because its max write speed is around 73 MB/s and read speed is around 122 MB/s.

Check out: http://www.eoshd.com/content/10433/which-compact-flash-cards-for-5d-mark-iii-raw-video for more info on CF cards

weoul

Quote from: gybra on August 25, 2013, 10:46:55 AM
I was going to update the firmware back to the original settings on the 5d mark iii, take out the SD and CF card and exchange the camera.

This won't help. Solution is not invented yet. Read this:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6035

SteveTownsend

Hi

I have done the ML Benchmark CF+SD write benchmark, think it is the write that is the most important and I have test results of 83.4 and 77Mb for the 64Gb and 128Gb KB cards respectively.

Is that too slow?

You suggest the 5min benchmark test, I haven't done that one yet, just the CF+SD write benchmark with the results above.

Appreciate your help.

gybra

This won't help. Solution is not invented yet. Read this:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6035

Thanks Weoul! From the link posted it seems like jkells figured it out so it sounds like its possible. Have you successfully removed ML before? And going back to the digital blue line/ Komputerbay CF cards. Have you ever experienced something similar to the blue lines or vertical lines? Also, heres a video that was filmed on the same day that I got that digital blue line:
https://vimeo.com/73065962

QuoteI have done the ML Benchmark CF+SD write benchmark, think it is the write that is the most important and I have test results of 83.4 and 77Mb for the 64Gb and 128Gb KB cards respectively.

Is that too slow?

You suggest the 5min benchmark test, I haven't done that one yet, just the CF+SD write benchmark with the results above.

I would run a 5m benchmark. The results are gonna be saved as a BMP image on the CF card in the root directory. The benchmark results are what the best case scenario for a 1000x card for shooting raw at 1080p. You wanna look at the numbers that have high write speeds figures in megabytes generally write buffer = 16384k.  **Make sure that you are in movie mode because if your in photo mode and have the live view turned off your benchmark could be higher. Once done post a link to the results. Also, you could buy the cannon raw shooters guide by EOSHD which will help you get on track for RAW shooting which is how I learned. You can find that here: http://www.eoshd.com/eoshd-5d-mark-iii-raw-shooters-guide-pdf-book-download

This may also help with the CF card question SteveTownsend: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5471.0
Hope it helps! Cheers!

SteveTownsend

Here are the 5 minute benchmark test results for the Komputer Bay cards

Quite a difference in the test results.

EDIT I have changed the 64Gb image and redone the benchmark test in movie mode, the results are now a bit closer!

Firstly the 128 Gb Card

and secondly the 64Gb Card

yanone

Quote from: Midphase on August 22, 2013, 08:20:51 AM
One of the new improvements with tonight's build should be the addition of DIGIC focus peaking which should be faster and more efficient for the CPU to handle (i.e. allow us to use it while recording without too many problems).

Is the focus peaking in the August 21st build using the DIGIC method?
How do I know it when I see it? I couldn't find a setting, and the focus peaking doesn't feel fast. CPU usage is much higher with focus peaking enabled. However, it works, also throughout a recording.

Stedda

If you dont see a menu setting youre using an old build
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

yanone

Quote from: Stedda on August 25, 2013, 03:23:23 PM
If you dont see a menu setting your using an old build

Build says v2.3.NEXT.2013Aug22.5D3113, it's lourenco's latest Nightly.
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, although I doubt it. Where do you see the setting?

tonybeccar

Hello! I don't know if I'm asking this in the correct thread, but I think anyone who shot raw can answer me this..

I'm about to shoot a project and I wanted to do it with the 5D3.. of course it's an expense as I don't have one and all hte hard drive space.. so I was wondering how much are the raw file sized on the 5D3? I know we're gonna shoot in 2.35:1 and in 50 frames per second. Does anyone know how much the frame, or the minute, or hour file size is?? Aprox. of course!! So I can know how many drives to buy!!!

Thanks!!! :)

gybra

QuoteHere are the 5 minute benchmark test results for the Komputer Bay cards

Looks like your 64gb card is good [(make sure your doing the benchmark correctly as weoul stated)] also.. you might have trouble with the 128gb card. You need 83MB/s to film at 1080p at 24 frames

QuoteBuild says v2.3.NEXT.2013Aug22.5D3113, it's lourenco's latest Nightly.

Is that a pretty stable build in your opinion? Would you happen to have a link to it? thankyou in advance!  :)

QuoteDoes anyone know how much the frame, or the minute, or hour file size is?? Aprox. of course!! So I can know how many drives to buy!!!

have you shot with 5D raw? Test it first to see if it meets your needs because there are some bugs. How long is your shoot? What are you filming?

* on a 64gb CF card it can store 12 min and 30 seconds of 1080p at 24p -- If its a big project you either need to buy quite a few of the CF cards or buy 2 and do a footage dump on sight while filming with another. Note it takes about 25 min to take the data off of a full 64gb card
10 gb is 2 min
32 gb is 6 min 25 sec
64 gb is 12 min 30 sec
128 gb roughly 24min ** at 128gb some cards have trouble keeping up with the data write

In this music vid: https://vimeo.com/groups/192344/videos/72468916 The artist said that it was 150GB of rushes.

So has anyone experienced the digital blue line during their filming? Any ideas on what could be causing it if its not the card? thanks again! It would really help. Cheers!

weoul

Quote from: SteveTownsend on August 25, 2013, 01:09:41 PM
Here are the 5 minute benchmark test results for the Komputer Bay cards

Quite a difference in the test results.

Different modes - photo and video

gdicus

I've been using one of the first RAW builds ever since it first came out. Not sure which version, but it has not worked flawlessly, but definitely it has worked and am pretty happy with it. So much so, I have not felt it necessary to update it and have been doing lots of work with it.

Now, however, I wish to start playing with later versions to see what you have done since then.  Having installed the 21st nightly build, though, it fails to work.  It gives me skipped files after only a few frames at a rate of about 7MB/s.  I have tried disabling all the module loads except the raw_rec and defaulting to a minimal functionality with no success. And yes, I formatted the CF cards (both hoodman and komputerbay x1000).

So, I pop my previous install back into the SD slot (Each install is on different SD cards) and I'm back up and running without a hitch.

Anybody have a clue as to what to look at here.

thanks.

glenn

gybra

Hey guys so i did more testing and the digital line happened again

here is the photo the first time it happened:

and here is the second time:

Does anyone know what is causing this? It only recently started happening. and has anyone experienced a lower frames per second when in photo mode? IE: instead of the manufactured 6 fps its lower? 

also heres an article on if ML voids the cannon warranty: http://www.diyphotography.net/dear-canonnikonpanasonic-can-i-use-custom-firmware-my-camera

Midphase

Quote from: gybra on August 25, 2013, 07:46:39 AM
I was recording at 1920 X 1080 with a Komputer Bay 64gb card with the 2.3 version May 18th build.

May 18th build? That's two months old. Shouldn't you be using something more recent, like August 6th perhaps (if not the current August 21st one)?

Lots of bugs have been fixed and some optimization has been implemented since May.