Uncompressed 14-bit RAW video testing - 5D Mark III

Started by bumkicho, May 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tronics

Quote from: a1ex on July 30, 2013, 04:47:12 PM
I don't use After Effects, but here's a plugin that does it in VirtualDub: http://bit.ly/frame-merger

or grab your C compiler and modify raw2dng to average all the video frames and output a single DNG. Or, average every X frames and output a DNG sequence with less frames. I'm sure others will find it useful.

Amazing thanks!

1ricca

Annoying question... where are the nightly builds being posted with RAW enabled?

Sorry, I did search. I've been deep on the T4i nightly builds in their own repository and now I finally have my own 5d3.

Midphase

There is a sticky with all the nightly builds listed just above this thread.

dude

I had this problem once, now it s back with july 22nd built.
if i press half shutter (usually to go back to live view), the mirror always swaps up and down, like it s taking a picture. but it does not.
any idea of what this could be?

scarluuk

Quote from: dude on July 31, 2013, 01:37:50 AM
I had this problem once, now it s back with july 22nd built.
if i press half shutter (usually to go back to live view), the mirror always swaps up and down, like it s taking a picture. but it does not.
any idea of what this could be?

Sounds like auto focus without live view.
Try setting off auto focus or change live view autofocus to one of the other features.
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision.
Canon 5D mark III / Canon 24-105mm F4L IS / Samyang 14mm T3.1 / Samyang 24mm T1.5 / Canon 50mm F1.4 / Samyang 85mm T1.5

dude

HugoFilipe

I've just loaded the 2nd Aug. firmware but there is still missing sound recording.
Even out sync, this is an important feature, is there any chance i can load a sound rec module or could someone point me the link for the latest build with sound recording enabled?
Is there any expected timeframe to have this enabled?

Midphase

Don't really see the point of out of sync drifting audio. Just record audio on a separate recorder like all the big boys do and you'll be a lot happier when you get to post.

I'm sure the guys are looking into ways to fix it, but in the meantime it's really useless to have out of sync audio.

M@ster

Is there an option for shooting in crop mode 3x but not in Raw, like 650D latest nightly build have? I didn't find that for 5D3.

Sganzerla

Looks like the start bip of my MKIII is 3 frames away from the starting point of the image recording when syncing audio with my H4n.
Does anyone agree with this number too? This was with the latest 2 builds (except this one from August).

budafilms

Exist a way to get, from RAW2DNG or MAGIC Raw,  a way to join raw with wav?

Anybody knows a way to do this faster?

legreve

Quote from: Midphase on August 02, 2013, 08:25:00 PM
Don't really see the point of out of sync drifting audio. Just record audio on a separate recorder like all the big boys do and you'll be a lot happier when you get to post.

I'm sure the guys are looking into ways to fix it, but in the meantime it's really useless to have out of sync audio.

The point is simply the beep / clap... if you have accompanying sound off the camera, it would be easier to align the two signals.
What happens after the clap on the camera audio doesn't matter :)

Assuming that when you import the clip and the audio that they are in sync from the get go of course.

pinger007

If the audio beep isn't in sync, then what's the point?  Why don't you just use a slate (or clap your hands for that matter)?  It's not difficult at all to sync up that way.  People have done it this way for over 80 years, so why not do it (at least until they get the accompanying audio issues ironed out)?
all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you

Shield

Quote from: pinger007 on August 05, 2013, 09:01:34 PM
If the audio beep isn't in sync, then what's the point?  Why don't you just use a slate (or clap your hands for that matter)?  It's not difficult at all to sync up that way.  People have done it this way for over 80 years, so why not do it (at least until they get the accompanying audio issues ironed out)?

I agree - the thing for me is the run and gun stuff; if I have my Zoom recorder in a shock proof mount on the hotshoe then I have no room to affix my external LCD.  I know there are workarounds for this too like using a cage but at the end of the day it's very handy having the camera record the audio.

blackcannonfilms

Hey guys, I just tested the Aug 2nd release and for some reason none of my .RAW files would convert. I tried with both Raw2Dng and with RawMagic. Raw2Dng gave me an error saying something about no such directory and RawMagic simply crashed repeatedly. I thought maybe I had messed up the naming of the root folders when dumping the card onto my hard drive and that perhaps that could've been the reason the .RAW files weren't converting, so I tried dumping them a couple of times and I even tried to convert directly via my USB 2.0 card reader and it didn't make a difference. So I went back and did a quick test with an older build (june 2nd I believe) and it worked perfectly fine. So yeah.. something is up with this latest one.

pinger007

Absolutely, having sync audio recorded in-cam is immensely valuable, but we're not talking about that - I'm referring to the fact that there are issues with beeps (and wave audio when it's enabled) being out of sync.  It creates more of a headache than it's worth, so why do people complain when it's not there?  If you can afford a $4000 camera, then surely you can afford a proper mic setup, or at the very least a hot shoe extender ($15 on Amazon) for both your Zoom (please don't say you're using the zoom's built-in mic) and your monitor.
all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you

Ashelz

Hey all,

I thought I would share...

I just completed a little film 'Budgie Takes a Bath' on my 5diii in RAW. Results are amazing I love being able to shoot indoors and to recover highlights from exterior shots! Shot at 50 fps 1920x508 and stretched by 167% to achieve 1920x818 '2.35:1' and conformed to 25p in post, close ups were shot at 25fps 2.5k (2560x1090)!! Detail, dynamic range, highlight recovery, is all just incredible!

Here is the link -  https://vimeo.com/71878978

jake badlands

Quote from: Ashelz on August 08, 2013, 06:22:47 AM
Hey all,

I thought I would share...

I just completed a little film 'Budgie Takes a Bath' on my 5diii in RAW. Results are amazing! Shot at 50 fps (1920x818) and conformed to 25p in post, and close ups were shot at 25fps 2.5k (2560x1090)!! Detail, dynamic range, highlight recovery, is all just incredible!

Here is the link -  https://vimeo.com/71878978

How do you reach 1920x818 50fps perfomance? In menu maximum selectable resolution is: 1920x672.
Here my results using Transcend 64Gb 1000x.

PAL mode:

(2:35) 50p
1920x672@50p 217 frames ("small hacks" activated) and 370 frames ("memory hack" and "small hacks" activated)
1920x508@50p 2000 frames !!! ("small hacks" activated) and 2600 frames ("memory hack" and "small hacks" activated)
1856x492@50p continuous !!! (without any hacks activated)

(2:35) 25p 2,5K (zoom x5, fps override to 25p)
2560x1090@25p only 130 frames ("small hacks" activated) and 180 frames ("memory hack" and "small hacks" activated)
2240x954@25p continuous !!! (without any hacks activated)

(16:9) 25p 2K (zoom x5, fps override to 25p)
2048x1152@24p 1300frames ("memory hack" or "memory hack" +"small hacks" activated)

(16:9) 24p 1080
1920x1080@25p continuous !!! (without any hacks activated)

NTSC mode:
(2:35) 60p
1600x424@60p continuous!!! (2:35 aspect)
1728x458@60p  2700 frames ("memory hack" and "small hacks" activated)

(2:35) 24p 2,5K (zoom x5, fps override to 24p)
2560x1090@24p only 180 frames ("small hacks" activated) and 230 frames ("memory hack" and "small hacks" activated)
2240x954@24p continuous !!! (without any hacks activated)

(16:9) 24p 2K (zoom x5, fps override to 24p)
2048x1152@24p continuous !!! ("small hacks" activated)

(16:9) 24p 1080
1920x1080@24p continuous !!! (without any hacks activated)

I uses Global Draw: ON (all modes)

What the CF do you using? Closeups recorded at 5x magnify crop mode? How many frames do you recorded at 2,5k (2560x1090) continuously?

Ashelz

@jake badlands It was shot at 1920x508 stretched by 167% to achieve 1920x818 '2.35:1'.

I'm using a Sandisk extreme 60mb/s CF card - I don't need continuous, so it's capturing enough frames for me to work with at the moment. At 50p  (1920x508 no memory hack or small hacks enabled, Global Draw ON with crop marks) i was getting around 290 frames, but slowing that down gave me plenty to work with. At 2.5k i was getting around 80 frames. 

san40k

Hello from a newbie and a huge thanks to ML developers and community - you are amazingly great!

I'm making my first steps with ML and raw video and want to share my experience, hope it will help newcomers! I've used the august 6th build with 64GB komputerbay and everything worked quite well so far :)

Here is what i learned:

- change camera settings (turn off things to free more resources for raw shooting) according to the great guide http://www.dvxuser.com/guides/ml_raw_guide_5DIII_full.pdf Following it I was able to shoot 1920x1080 with up to 24FPS with no frame drop

- I cannot shoot 1920x1080 with 30FPS (27.7xx) to my card - frame drop in a few hundred frames

- Merge multiple 4GB files (ie copy /B file1.RAW+file1.R00 c:\file1.RAW) to your HDD, as CF's filesystem doesn't support larger than 4GB

- I successfully tried the "Photoshop(ACR) -> Jpeg -> virtualdub" and "Photoshop(ACR) -> Tiff -> Adobe Premier" processes, no particular preference so far.

- copy your .dng to the fastest drive (SSD) before dropping them to photoshop, first few times it took so long that i wasn't sure if photoshop is still operational

- I downloaded gopro cineform studio (found in this forum), and used it in virtual dub process. Still, I'm not clear on the whole codecs thing, something to learn further

Results of course are amazing, although the amount of time and efforts to produce them is quite substantial, especially the first few videos.

akfreak

Sorry to bother you guys. I downloaded the latest Aug 6 version for the 5d mKiii. I install the package like all of the other times. I update the firmware in camera and get a Smiley Face (my mkIII is running 1.1.3 not 1.1.2). However when I press the trash can button, ML does not load.  I saw in a video tut, the fellow has the same problem and he just turns off the camera then back on. Then he is able to press the trash can to load the ML interface. This does not work for me.  BWT I have the AUG 6th build installed on a SD card with no CF in the camera.

Any ideas of what might be going on. Thanks AKf

jake badlands

Quote from: akfreak on August 11, 2013, 09:54:34 AM
Sorry to bother you guys. I downloaded the latest Aug 6 version for the 5d mKiii. I install the package like all of the other times. I update the firmware in camera and get a Smiley Face (my mkIII is running 1.1.3 not 1.1.2). However when I press the trash can button, ML does not load.  I saw in a video tut, the fellow has the same problem and he just turns off the camera then back on. Then he is able to press the trash can to load the ML interface. This does not work for me.  BWT I have the AUG 6th build installed on a SD card with no CF in the camera.

Any ideas of what might be going on. Thanks AKf

ML for mk3 at this moment only work at 1.1.3 firmware. Try july 22nd ML. August builds is buggy (for me)  :(

Levinson

smiley face indicatates that you haven't yet used "eos card" to boot enable the card you are running ML from. When you do, make sure only the bottom two check boxes are ticked and then click "save"
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

Chalk

Just wondering how many people have tried out this latest Aug 6th Build and know if it's better? Heard Aug 2nd version was a bit ropey.  Also a lot of people saying July 22nd was working nice.  Anyone have a download link to that version handy?  Thanks!