Uncompressed 14-bit RAW video testing - 5D Mark III

Started by bumkicho, May 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaphotog

The card(depending on speed) will allow you to continuously record depending on resolution. BUT there IS a speed drop. If you are recording at a resoliution that allows you to only get 800 frames, you might only get 4-500 with a monitor.

Frank209

never realized that.. will try this weekend...

mannfilm

Please, please, please reinstate the audio for use in two system. With two system we sync on noise (clapper, hand clap) or if desperate, manually sync up with waveforms on the first couple seconds. But we desperately need something more then that little beep that our Tascam does not pick up.

legreve

Last night I tried connecting my Cineroid EVF 4RVW but I'm getting a funny aspect ratio on the monitor and it for some reason says "1080 60i".

I haven't set that anywhere, and I can't find anywhere where I'm supposed to change anything either on the camera or the monitor.

Anyone know how to handle the monitor setup?

EDIT:

Ok, it still says 1080 60i, but I found out that under MLs advanced settings you can choose what kind of aspect ratio the camera sends to the external unit. Mine was set to 3:2... just set that back to 16:9 and everything looks fine, apart from not filling out the monitor completely (uses about 80% of the screen size).

Unfortunately, the EVF's own peaking doesn't work. But since the 5D3 sends out all overlays, the peaking from ML comes along with it.

odlan

Hello in the latest build of lourenco (July 16th) is missing BOLT_REC MODULE.
Is correct ??

hmcindie

For some reason the 28th build is occasionally crashing with manual lenses (lenses with no electronic contacts). Has anyone experienced this with the newer builds? Also is there a raw2dng converter that can take out bad pixels (I have one on my 5dmkIII) like Marekk compiled for the 60d?

jpope

I'm having issues with most of the clips not reading in the ML raw2dng. Is this correct?
I shot seven clips and only 3 would parse through the app.

Sthirasukha

There is a bug with the last new builds (July 13th, 16th and 22nd): the file browser doesn't work and the 5D MKIII is frozen until I take out the battery.

lourenco

Quote from: odlan on July 21, 2013, 07:12:24 PM
Hello in the latest build of lourenco (July 16th) is missing BOLT_REC MODULE.
Is correct ??

Bolt_rec is not compatable to the current raw_rec. You would need to use an older build for this feature until bolt_rec is updated by  g3gg0, which probably will not happen until the new version of raw_rec is created. 
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

lourenco

Quote from: jpope on July 23, 2013, 12:22:59 AM
I'm having issues with most of the clips not reading in the ML raw2dng. Is this correct?
I shot seven clips and only 3 would parse through the app.
Current raw2dng for windows. Not sure what operating system you are using. http://acoutts.com/a1ex/raw2dng.exe

lourenco

Quote from: Sthirasukha on July 23, 2013, 09:48:11 AM
There is a bug with the last new builds (July 13th, 16th and 22nd): the file browser doesn't work and the 5D MKIII is frozen until I take out the battery.

It has been working fine on my camera. When does it freeze up?

Sthirasukha

Yes, Lourenco, you're right, my CF card (Lexar 1000x 64 GB) had something wrong (I think I have to reformat it), I tried with another one and the browser works perfectly well (just like before). Thanks again for your great job, ML team!

xRun

Running a test-capture of raw video in 1920x1280 right now, to see how long it keeps running on a single charge. Testing this specifically with time-lapse in mind, so I've reduced the framerate to 1fps and it only writes about 5MB/sec to the Lexar 32GB 1000X CF-card I'm testing with in my 5d3. So far it's been half an hour and counting.
Just wondering about those 1280 lines I set it up with, is that the max possible? Would be sweet if it could run at this low framerate at full resolution, or maybe 4K. I realize that'd be a tall order for full motion video, but this is for timelapse instead of wearing out the shutter with stills shots. I'd be interested to see some thoughts on this.

toddicus

xRun, I'm pretty sure you could record at 3.5K in crop mode at 1fps.  Look up how that works and you should be in good shape.  You'll have a smaller area of the sensor sampled 1 to 1 so your lenses will be a little less wide, but you'd have the resolution you want.

xRun

Quote from: toddicus on July 26, 2013, 05:35:57 AM
3.5K in crop mode at 1fps
I haven't seen that option (crop) anywhere in the menus so far, am I missing it or isn't it there?
Oh and btw: for nighttime timelapses I'm running into the 1/30 sec shutter limit, can't seem to sample light for longer than that pr. frame. When I'm doing 1fps time lapse it sure would be nice to get almost as long shutter time when it is that dark, like 0.8 sec or something.

johansugarev

To enable crop mode just toggle the digital zoom button once - enter x5 zoom mode. Beware that framing on the LCD is a bit off what you get on the recording. 

xRun

Quote from: johansugarev on July 27, 2013, 11:20:38 AM
- framing on the LCD is a bit off what you get on the recording.
Shooting in 3,5K for a 1080p timelapse, the final framings and pans will be chosen or adjusted in post anyway.
Thanks for the tip, if this works I'm blown away. :D

If I could only get past that 1/30 exposure limit now, I could use this for night sky timelapses too, but for now that shutter-wear will have to be covered by my semi-retired older EOS body.

Edit: I see, in 3.5K the aspect snaps to 2.72 (Kinopanorama). And since 1320px is max vertical the only way to get a taller aspect is cropping the width of the picture. Is there any way to get more than 1320 lines? Hmm need wider glass.  ;D

eatstoomuchjam

Quote from: xRun on July 27, 2013, 12:58:16 PM
Shooting in 3,5K for a 1080p timelapse, the final framings and pans will be chosen or adjusted in post anyway.
Thanks for the tip, if this works I'm blown away. :D

If I could only get past that 1/30 exposure limit now, I could use this for night sky timelapses too, but for now that shutter-wear will have to be covered by my semi-retired older EOS body.

Edit: I see, in 3.5K the aspect snaps to 2.72 (Kinopanorama). And since 1320px is max vertical the only way to get a taller aspect is cropping the width of the picture. Is there any way to get more than 1320 lines? Hmm need wider glass.  ;D

If your goal is to have the highest resolution possible at 1fps, why not just use a combination of the intervalometer and silent shutter mode?  Even with a relatively slow/moderate card, you should be able to pull off 5760 × 3840 (and your wide angle glass will stay wide angle).  :)

xRun

Quote from: eatstoomuchjam on July 27, 2013, 07:15:48 PM
- a combination of the intervalometer and silent shutter mode -
Without putting actuations and mechanical wear on the shutter? That's the reason I'm trying to do it in video mode, cause those actuations are adding up fast.

eatstoomuchjam

Quote from: xRun on July 27, 2013, 09:13:52 PM
Without putting actuations and mechanical wear on the shutter? That's the reason I'm trying to do it in video mode, cause those actuations are adding up fast.

Silent shutter doesn't fire the mechanical shutter (unless I am mistaken).  Look under the photo menu in ML.
Just read the manual - guess it won't do full res.  Nevermind (though if you can tolerate less than 1fps, the high-res mode may be worth investigating).

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/UserGuide#silent-pictures

xRun

Quote from: eatstoomuchjam on July 27, 2013, 10:53:54 PM
Silent shutter doesn't fire the mechanical shutter (unless I am mistaken).  Look under the photo menu in ML.
Just read the manual - guess it won't do full res.  Nevermind (though if you can tolerate less than 1fps, the high-res mode may be worth investigating).

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/UserGuide#silent-pictures
Ok, I see. I would actually take a full sensor picture every 5 or even 10 secs if I could get it, so going beyond 1fps is no hurdle for this purpose.
If I understand this correctly, silent low-res causes no mechanical movements but is only 1-2mpx in resolution. That would make it diffucult to pan across the recorded frames and still keep 1080p or better in the finished video. So that means high-res preferably with the whole 22mpx sensor recorded once every 5-10 seconds, or that's where I'm trying to get anyway, but without wearing out the shutter.
High-res silent seems like a good option even though it zigzags across the frame to get all of it, but with a 10 or even 20 second exposure there would be tearing and other issues with the interval between whole high-res frames climbing into minutes. It's a challenge, I know, and best bet so far seems to be 3.5k with a wider lens, cause that'll produce high-res images in a single shot each time, and with some room to pan in post. It's limited to use between dawn and dusk though, cause I'm not getting those extra long exposures in this mode.

tronics

Quote from: xRun on July 27, 2013, 11:29:00 PM
Ok, I see. I would actually take a full sensor picture every 5 or even 10 secs if I could get it, so going beyond 1fps is no hurdle for this purpose.
If I understand this correctly, silent low-res causes no mechanical movements but is only 1-2mpx in resolution. That would make it diffucult to pan across the recorded frames and still keep 1080p or better in the finished video. So that means high-res preferably with the whole 22mpx sensor recorded once every 5-10 seconds, or that's where I'm trying to get anyway, but without wearing out the shutter.
High-res silent seems like a good option even though it zigzags across the frame to get all of it, but with a 10 or even 20 second exposure there would be tearing and other issues with the interval between whole high-res frames climbing into minutes. It's a challenge, I know, and best bet so far seems to be 3.5k with a wider lens, cause that'll produce high-res images in a single shot each time, and with some room to pan in post. It's limited to use between dawn and dusk though, cause I'm not getting those extra long exposures in this mode.

I want to do the same. We made one film where we had 4000 shutter releases, now the client wants 50 such films - crazyness!
Did you find a solution yet?

a1ex

For very long exposure, recording at 1fps or so and averaging the frames in post should do the trick.

With this, you will also get better dynamic range (for example, when averaging 16 pics, the standard deviation of the noise should be 4 times lower, so you effectively get 2 stops of extra DR if I'm not overlooking something).

tronics

Quote from: a1ex on July 30, 2013, 04:34:46 PM
For very long exposure, recording at 1fps or so and averaging the frames in post should do the trick.

With this, you will also get better dynamic range (for example, when averaging 16 pics, the standard deviation of the noise should be 4 times lower, so you effectively get 2 stops of extra DR if I'm not overlooking something).

How to do "averaging" in After Effects? Never heard of it but sounds great!

a1ex

I don't use After Effects, but here's a plugin that does it in VirtualDub: http://bit.ly/frame-merger

or grab your C compiler and modify raw2dng to average all the video frames and output a single DNG. Or, average every X frames and output a DNG sequence with less frames. I'm sure others will find it useful.