Uncompressed 14-bit RAW video testing - 5D Mark III

Started by bumkicho, May 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tridluu

Quote from: Simone1971 on July 08, 2013, 09:10:41 AM
Yes sure, but if you are in a sudden situation or you are not able to carry external recorder anyway, or simply the audio is only effects (i.e. Sound of nature) how do you do? Not every day is necessary to record audio on external device, but every day audio is necessary...
Yesterday i had to do a backstage during siena's palio into thousands and thousands of people (in those situations an external sound recorder with boom is impossible to carry...) and the result is that i've tons of videos without audio...

So, why don't having the possibility to choose mute recordings or videos with out of sync audio?

Why not develop the code yourself? These developers are working hard to find the right settings for all of us to use. This thread is to figure out what is wrong and give input so developers can figure things out. All of us know there is an audio sync issue, its not like this is something new or something they don't want to fix. Its out for a reason.

Filippo Chiesa

Thanks guys for your great work!
I used ML on my 5D3 in Iceland... it rocks!!!

Here is the video:

https://vimeo.com/69526296
(sharpened version)

https://vimeo.com/69723821
(non sharpened version)

Thanks again!

toddicus

Hello All!  I've enjoyed testing raw video, it's simply the prettiest footage I've ever had the joy of working with.

I had some fun this weekend shooting at a 4th of July party, really with just the intent of testing workflows and stability.  I was still running the June 20th build, worked well.  I have a more complete write up in the Vimeo description if you're interested but here are the stats I guess, 66 clips shot, 2 x 32 GB cards (Lexar Professional 1000x), 5D mark iii, 1920x1080p at 23.976fps.

http://vimeo.com/69871667

I know my colors are all over the place, I just didn't have the time to tweak like I'd like to.

Thanks to the developers!

-
Todd

Simone1971

@tridluu
Read my first comment please, the work of those guys is great and i've thanked strongly them, i've only asked one thing, so why you answer in this acid mode? I've wrote only what i think should be usefull to fully use this fantastic firmware, but if you think that i can't do this because i should offend guys of magic lantern you are wrong, isn't in my mind...
If i'll be able to compile the code and give a hand to magic lantern be shure i'd done yet from many many time...

Thank you very much to magic lantern for firmware...

Arthur Rambo

Hello Simone1971,
No offense, but when you say "and the result is that i've tons of videos without audio..." it sounds a lot like reproach.
You don't go shooting without testing your gear or firmware beforehand. That's what I would do ;)
Cheers

Simone1971

Sorry, not in my mind to criticize the worderfull work of magic lantern's guys!

Pardon for misunderstandings!

fanman7

Perhaps there is a language barrier that is causing all this animosity towards Simone1971. He/She has already apologized. Let's move on.

jake badlands

I uses ML's latest night build from 27 june. Have a "bug" with magnification when focusing. After 1 tap (2x) - there b&w image with weird noise, aliasing and low image quality. Second tap (4x) - it's ok! Third tap (10x) - ok!
(it can be mistake with zoom factors that i wrote). Someone have this?

p.s. BIG Thanks for ML!!!!

Levinson

jake - that's normal. it's ml's method of giving you an accurate "used sensor area" preview in zoom mode.

if you don't like it, switch preview to "canon" in the ml menu.
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

Sthirasukha

I've compared the Raw 1920x1080 25fps (with 64GB Lexar x1000 5D MKIII) with the H.264 (Canon native) with the same traveling camera and, as everyone knows, the Raw is better... except that it's really more fluid with the H.264. The Raw footage looks more stroboscopic when I move the camera. Does anyone feel the same and does that mean that I need to add motion blur on post (AE for example)? Does it come from the way each images are recorded on the CF card? Any suggestion to have smoother result? Thanks again ML team!

3pointedit

Sthirasukha, how acurately have you tested this? The only place that the apparent temporal change could come from is the compressor. It is partially a temporal compressor and could, under the right circumstances, produce odd movement from frame to frame. But I really doubt it. Is there any way that you could shoot identical movement and lay them on top of one another?
550D on ML-roids

pascal

Hello. Does anyone know where the Shutter Lock setting is in the latest build? I looked in the manual but it is no longer in the Movie section !?

jake badlands

Quote from: Levinson on July 12, 2013, 01:35:00 AM
jake - that's normal. it's ml's method of giving you an accurate "used sensor area" preview in zoom mode.

if you don't like it, switch preview to "canon" in the ml menu.
Thanks!  :) old school method for me is better

aviel740

Has anyone had any problems with random exposure changes using ML raw on the 5D3? The camera is set on fully manual and this doesn't happen using the standard H.264. I went through the ML menu trying to find out why I'm getting this but didn't see settings that seemed to apply to this. I started shooting a somewhat important video in raw a couple days ago only to discover this problem. I used the July 11th build and converted it in RAWMagic then imported it into After Effects. I tried using raw2dng but I'm getting the same results. Also I shot a video using the raw function in early June and only encountered this in 1 shot out of about 25, this time it's more extreme. Is there a fix for this? Are my settings or workflow off somewhere? Can I recover the footage or should I go ahead and re-shoot it? I can post a short sample as well if need be. Sorry if this question has already been addressed, I haven't come across this after reading quite a bit about ML raw in the past month or so.

Thanks,
Aviel

pinger007

Here's a recent interview I shot last week with 5DM3 July 11th build.  I would have liked to have spent more time lighting the subject and doing a more selective grade, but the turnaround time was very short.  The workflow wasn't without hiccups here and there, but for the most part it's a straightforward process.  I batch converted the RAW files to dng sequences and DNxHD proxies with Rawanizer ver 0.5.5. The DNxHD proxies were used to edit the footage in Adobe Premiere CC. Once edited, the sequence was brought into Adobe After Effects CC via Dynamic Link and the proxies were replaced with the RAW dng sequences. I performed a first light color correction in ACR, and additional corrections are performed in AE.  I overlayed some 35mm Gorilla Grain, but the vimeo h264 processing kinda kills it.  :(

https://vimeo.com/70337254
all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you

Mickeyboo

Nice work Pinger....I guess it's time to bring out my slate...

NtiT

Quote from: Filippo Chiesa on July 08, 2013, 12:01:03 PM
Thanks guys for your great work!
I used ML on my 5D3 in Iceland... it rocks!!!

Here is the video:

https://vimeo.com/69526296
(sharpened version)

https://vimeo.com/69723821
(non sharpened version)

Thanks again!

Great job! Really digging that transition at 1:14.

Sthirasukha

@3pointedit
I found why I had non fluid footage with raw setting 1920x1080 25fps (with 64GB Lexar x1000 5D MKIII):
I kept my old ML setting while I updated the new nightly builds. I put it away and keep only the new build (july 13th) and it works well now.
I also discovered that with the new builds I can keep now the setting raw+L(jpg) on the Canon menu, the ML Raw rec 1920x1080 25fps works perfectly well without any drop. Any chance the sound could come back? Thanks again...

legreve

Quote from: pinger007 on July 15, 2013, 07:16:31 PM
Here's a recent interview I shot last week with 5DM3 July 11th build.  I would have liked to have spent more time lighting the subject and doing a more selective grade, but the turnaround time was very short.  The workflow wasn't without hiccups here and there, but for the most part it's a straightforward process.  I batch converted the RAW files to dng sequences and DNxHD proxies with Rawanizer ver 0.5.5. The DNxHD proxies were used to edit the footage in Adobe Premiere CC. Once edited, the sequence was brought into Adobe After Effects CC via Dynamic Link and the proxies were replaced with the RAW dng sequences. I performed a first light color correction in ACR, and additional corrections are performed in AE.  I overlayed some 35mm Gorilla Grain, but the vimeo h264 processing kinda kills it.  :(

https://vimeo.com/70337254

Pinger.... what was your sound workflow? Did you just fidlde in the sync or how did you do it?

EDIT: Doh... I should just read the description ;) Slate it is then...

jas.brooks

Quote from: Sthirasukha on July 16, 2013, 09:57:07 AM
@3pointedit
I found why I had non fluid footage with raw setting 1920x1080 25fps (with 64GB Lexar x1000 5D MKIII):

I kept my old ML setting while I updated the new nightly builds. I put it away and keep only the new build (july 13th) and it works well now.

I also discovered that with the new builds I can keep now the setting raw+L(jpg) on the Canon menu, the ML Raw rec 1920x1080 25fps works perfectly well without any drop. Any chance the sound could come back? Thanks again...

Any chance you could explain more explicitly what you mean by "old ML setting" & "I put it away"? I know that my misunderstanding may be due to a slight language barrier, but I have experienced a similar problem (footage looks like it has a weird cadence), and am keen to avoid it in future.

I'm now testing the July 13th build (as far as I know it's a clean install), and will check for any residual occurrence of the original issue, and report back.

Thanks (and many, MANY thanks to all those involved on the dev side of ML :-)

jason

aaphotog

Quote from: jas.brooks on July 16, 2013, 07:18:01 PM
Any chance you could explain more explicitly what you mean by "old ML setting" & "I put it away"? I know that my misunderstanding may be due to a slight language barrier, but I have experienced a similar problem (footage looks like it has a weird cadence), and am keen to avoid it in future.

I'm now testing the July 13th build (as far as I know it's a clean install), and will check for any residual occurrence of the original issue, and report back.

Thanks (and many, MANY thanks to all those involved on the dev side of ML :-)

jason
When you chane the settings in magic lantern, it leaves a file on your card. That way, every time your camera boots, it loads the settings from the card. Chances are, he deleted that file that stores the settings, off of his card.

Sthirasukha

Yes, aaphotog, you're right, that's exactly what I have done. When I created my personal menu in ML, a file named "settings" in ML folder has been created so that each time I boot my camera, I have my own settings back. But it seems that there were a conflict between the settings I created for the June 22th build and the same settings I intended to use with the July 13th build. I know it was stupid to keep it... I couldn't imagine such an issue. Hope it makes sense for you jas.brooks.

And sorry if it's not the discussion but FYI, I tested 3 time the same Raw footage to Prores 422HQ with
1- AE (with ACR)
2- NukeX (with J_Ops_2.0v1)
3- Resolve 9 Lite
Result of render time:
40 min AE 
18 min NukeX (works the same with DNG or CinemaDNG)
2 min Resolve 9
I have to go deeper to the investigation because it depends on the raw settings but it might interest some people.

Frank209

I have something that doesn't bother me that much, but i thought you guys would want to know;

As soon as i turn on "Raw recording" in the ML menu my "zebra" overlay becomes much smaller on my HDMI out..
I'm not really clear I guess so here is the photo:

It's a 5dmk3 running with the nightly build from 2013-07-12

this is regular (internal display)     : http://www.adaptermedia.nl/?attachment_id=334
this is with HDMI (external)           : http://www.adaptermedia.nl/?attachment_id=333 

Am i doing something wrong?
Oh and thank you guys for doing an amazing job! you guys are awesome.

legreve

I thought the 5D3 build was buggy with HDMi out running?

Don't have an answer to your question, but can I ask you one... are you getting continous recording even with monitor attached?

Frank209

Quote from: legreve on July 18, 2013, 01:18:41 PM
I thought the 5D3 build was buggy with HDMi out running?

Don't have an answer to your question, but can I ask you one... are you getting continous recording even with monitor attached?

yes. no problem at all.