Uncompressed 14-bit RAW video testing - 5D Mark III

Started by bumkicho, May 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sksmseks

June 19th build.

I recorded over 4gb(fat32 card).. but record didn't stop .

why so?

and.. now i have files M21-1520.RAW .R00 .R01 .R02   ....

it doesn't work at raw2dng ...

HELP me plz

aaphotog

when in crop mode(hitting the magnifying glass)
I want to do a 180 degree shutter, but 1/48 and 1/47 is not available. The closest options are 1/45 & 1/55 but the 1/45 option is in red, the other in green. What do you all select?

Stedda

I use 55 with FPS Override set to 23.976. Looks fine when it's rendered out.
I think you could go either way without issue but I'm not pro video guy.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

driftwood

@a1ex when we use 25p rec modes could you lockdown 50 shutter as base target on set ETTR instead of 30? - Its a tad annoying for manual lenses in PAL land.
Canon 60D, Canon 5DMK3, Lexar 1000x 128GB CF, Panasonic (shhhh!) GH2s & GH3s. :-)

sicetime

Is there anyway to implement some sort of timecode on these?

mkrjf

I like sunset with trees and shadow as a dynamic range test.
Did simple test where I adjusted color on one frame dng to se what it might look like as color graded video.
Unfortunately the recording was at 2.497 fps (even though I selected 23.976??!!)

Anyway used magicraw then Adobe CS4 (16bit) then preview to flip to jpeg.
I see potential if I can get past the wonky settings and developers expectations that 422 is a great end product.
Hopefully it won't take too long to find useable config / settings.
Would really like it if raw2dng.app output prores4444 at 220Mbps rather than 20Mbps 422HQ - too low res for color grading INMHO

Fauxto

I'm getting problems with two shots out of maybe 80 I have. The whole shot is split in two: one half normal and the other with image mirrored and tinted pink. I'm using the build of june the 17th and throwing the RAW file directly on raw2dng.

pinger007

On the June 22nd build, the last frame of every shot is pink mess of pixels.  This occurred on each of 22 shots captured onto a 64gb Komputerbay 1000x card.  My previous build was June 13th and I never had this issue. 

Keep up the good work!  Thanks.
all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you

rrrmusic

On the June 22nd build, don't see the option to record audio wav separately on SD

Fauxto

rebelj12a

Build 6dfbee9 June 25th - Canon 5d Mark III - Komputerbay 1000x CF
Im getting an error with raw recording.

Happens somewhat intermittently, did not happen on first test of recording, however 2 subsequent upload times it happened.

The error was a footer mismatch. 2 extra files appeared the first time besides the raw file.

M26-1932.R00
M26-1932.R01

Removed the card uploaded the raw file, unreadable by raw2dng.

Error Message
This ain't a lv_rec RAW file

Deleted files from CF card and tried again. Same error however with this raw recording only .R00 showed up.

Figured I'd dump the error. Ill try again in a bit.

rrrmusic

Again I am using June 25 build and I have NO audio option in the RAW video menu. FPS override off

Felix

"a1ex committed 2013-06-21 (raw commit)
raw_rec: sound is known to get out of sync, disabling for now. Keeping sync beeps."
5D Mark iii

aaphotog

Quote from: rebelj12a on June 27, 2013, 03:50:29 AM
Build 6dfbee9 June 25th - Canon 5d Mark III - Komputerbay 1000x CF
Im getting an error with raw recording.

Happens somewhat intermittently, did not happen on first test of recording, however 2 subsequent upload times it happened.

The error was a footer mismatch. 2 extra files appeared the first time besides the raw file.

M26-1932.R00
M26-1932.R01

Removed the card uploaded the raw file, unreadable by raw2dng.

Error Message
This ain't a lv_rec RAW file

Deleted files from CF card and tried again. Same error however with this raw recording only .R00 showed up.

Figured I'd dump the error. Ill try again in a bit.

I believe those are from 4gb file splits. when you record to a fat32 formatted card, a file can't be larger than 4gb, so the camera automatically splits them. The r01/r02... are the seperate parts of the same raw file. Try formatting your card ExFat and recording a huge file and see if you still get those files.

obnoxious

I just installed the latest june 25th build and it seems that I am getting a weird white box in the top left corner of my frame on HDMI out. On the back of the LCD screen all is fine. Is anyone having problems with external monitoring with the latest build?

Thanks

tother

Does anyone know how to turn off the black recording screen overlay (which shows you your buffer/frame count while recording)? I need to have the hdmi output clear off text for framing shots - darn text is right over most of the subjects faces.

Thanks, J

haemma

In the ML settings there is an option called "console" or so, turn it of, the overlay will be gone.

rebelj12a

Ah ok, weirder only happens occasionally not sure why hmm ill try formatting for exfat then

evanamorphic

We put the hack through its paces over the weekend in the 48 hour film race. It was kind of a gamble to shoot raw for something like this, but I wanted to see if we could turnaround fast enough. Had a couple minor crashes, but it was a pretty good real world test. 

Levinson

wow, 5+ days without an update - is progress finally slowing down?

It's been a very enjoyable ride so far  :)
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

ValentinDeluy

I have shot a music video on Sunday using a 5DIII RAW and I have filed up six Komputerbay 64gb 1000x cards.
Everything went nice except for the extremely large amount of data.
- In normal mode 1920x1080 23.976 fps I never got a single problem except for record stop very rarely.
- In normal mode 1728x606 48 fps sometimes it's continuous, sometimes it stops recording, 50/50.
- In 1:1 mode 1920x1080 23.976 I get pink frames (zero to few) and one brighter frame (15th).
- 1728x606 48 fps is impossible in 1:1 mode, I cannot get more then 31.873 fps ...
- Data rate gets slower (70mb/s compare to almost 100mb/s) @ higher frame rates ??
I used June 27th build and exFAT format. FPS override always on.

Also, working with RAW (DNG) showed me that I cannot push latitude correction so much, highlights recovery works but I need a good exposure during recording.
The colors are very nice, noise @ low ISOs is absent (especially compare to the native 640 ISO of the Pany GH2).
I find that @ high ISO latitude is very minimal, dark areas cannot get lifted, GH2 (@640ISO) is noisier but a little better on this side. 

Thank you Magic Lantern team for all the hard work !
Cheers from France.

friano75

I got 102MB/s while recording raw in 2560x1090 24fps crop mode (for 350 frames). Really cool. I recognized some strange overexposed frames with fps override on !? mostly the 25 frame. But hey, I like Magic lantern :)

Simone1971

i know that you eliminated audio recording due to out of syncing, but meanwhile you try to solve the problem, why don't you reinsert this feature? an audio out of sync is easy to resync, a video without audio is not very beautiful and is unuseful.

Great job anyway, video recorded in raw with 5d mkiii are simply wonderfull, thank you very much!

wintix

if you have to sync anyway, just get an external recorder. it will also yield way better results than the internal mic / a hot shoe mounted one.

Simone1971

Yes sure, but if you are in a sudden situation or you are not able to carry external recorder anyway, or simply the audio is only effects (i.e. Sound of nature) how do you do? Not every day is necessary to record audio on external device, but every day audio is necessary...
Yesterday i had to do a backstage during siena's palio into thousands and thousands of people (in those situations an external sound recorder with boom is impossible to carry...) and the result is that i've tons of videos without audio...

So, why don't having the possibility to choose mute recordings or videos with out of sync audio?