Uncompressed 14-bit RAW video testing - 5D Mark III

Started by bumkicho, May 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zmelms

Just wanted to report that over Memorial Day weekend we shot a feature film with a hacked 5D3 and the BMCC both shooting in raw.  We're just now starting to synch footage (over 3.5 hours of it from the 5d3).  A trailer to that project will be posted here soon but before that, another short is scheduled for production with a combination of 5D3, BMCC and the Sony FS-700 for slow motion.

I'm primarily a Sony guy shooting with the FS-700 and I often get to work with the Arri Alexa on big commercial shoots.  I haven't even considered filming projects for clients on DSLR until now because the quality just wasn't there and I felt like my pictures were stuck in a dead end of h.264.  With the raw module I've been able to comfortably shoot in the most contrasty of situations and in low light all while taking advantage of the 5d's compact size knowing that I had the extra room to push things around in post. Thanks to the developers for an amazing gift to the film world!

driftwood

1088p no probs with spanning and Error-free results on my newly acquired Lexar Pro 1000x 128Gb card formatted to Exfat. Speed Results shortly. :-)
Canon 60D, Canon 5DMK3, Lexar 1000x 128GB CF, Panasonic (shhhh!) GH2s & GH3s. :-)

johanhenrikssn

I shot some footage that looks like it's sped up. It gives the impression that it was recorded in another, lower frame rate than 25, when looking at it after it's been post-processed. I did not have FPS override to ON in magic lantern, could this have affected it? Anyone else experienced this problem?

I used the june 3rd-version. Camera settings i Canons menu set to PAL and video set to 1080p 25fps ALL-I.

crazyrunner33

Quote from: johanhenrikssn on June 08, 2013, 12:40:26 AM
I shot some footage that looks like it's sped up. It gives the impression that it was recorded in another, lower frame rate than 25, when looking at it after it's been post-processed. I did not have FPS override to ON in magic lantern, could this have affected it? Anyone else experienced this problem?

I used the june 3rd-version. Camera settings i Canons menu set to PAL and video set to 1080p 25fps ALL-I.

What's your workflow, are you using After Effects?  When importing an image sequence in After Effects you need to set the frame rate the composition and the image sequence, otherwise AE might interpret it as the wrong framerate which would screw up the motion.  It would be better to ask this question in the post-processing forum.
5D Mark III, 7D

johanhenrikssn

Quote from: crazyrunner33 on June 08, 2013, 01:44:55 AM
What's your workflow, are you using After Effects?  When importing an image sequence in After Effects you need to set the frame rate the composition and the image sequence, otherwise AE might interpret it as the wrong framerate which would screw up the motion.  It would be better to ask this question in the post-processing forum.
I tried the workflow with both After Effects and using Quicktime 7 via Photoshop. Inside After Effects I interpreted the image sequence from 30 to 25 and created a comp from that. Still got that speedy look.

Thanks. I thought it was an in camera problem at first. I'll ask there.

endoman99

Anybody getting this message when trying to process the RAW Files to DNG in raw2dng application on Mac OSX 10.8.4 "Error: This ain't a lab_rec RAW file" Then "Is: *.dng: No such file or director Nothing converted"
Interestingly enough, some of the RAW files say that and others are normal and work fine! Just wanted to share this with everyone. 

a1ex

Good morning... bug reports with versions from one month ago are not accepted ;)

MoiraOBrien

Not sure where to post this.  I have been using Alpha3 without bootflag successfully.  I decided to try the RAW build but have problems installing.  I copied all the files as usual to the SD card, inserted into the camera and did a Firmware Upgrade as usual.  Upgrade continued through to "Enable Bootflag" and ":)".  After that nothing videowise or ML worked and when I looked at the card in the computer it was read only (card switch was at read/write).

I now have my 5D3 with bootflag enabled and reverted to Alpha 3 but with no way to remove the bootflag.

Questions:
1. Why is my SD card now read only?
2. How can I load RAW ML without this problem
3. How can I remove the Bootflag.

thanks

Moira
5D3, 5D2, 7D, FCPX

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: MoiraOBrien on June 11, 2013, 09:09:59 PM
Not sure where to post this.  I have been using Alpha3 without bootflag successfully.  I decided to try the RAW build but have problems installing.  I copied all the files as usual to the SD card, inserted into the camera and did a Firmware Upgrade as usual.  Upgrade continued through to "Enable Bootflag" and ":)".  After that nothing videowise or ML worked and when I looked at the card in the computer it was read only (card switch was at read/write).

I now have my 5D3 with bootflag enabled and reverted to Alpha 3 but with no way to remove the bootflag.

Questions:
1. Why is my SD card now read only?
2. How can I load RAW ML without this problem
3. How can I remove the Bootflag.

thanks

Moira

Please stop posting in multiple boards.  You need to go here and post your questions:

RAW video & ML -- Beginners Guide, FAQ & Useful Links -- READ FIRST
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0

But .. before you ask the same question again, please read the manual, watch the video and also follow the first link to a tutorial on the manual.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

MoiraOBrien

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on June 11, 2013, 09:45:36 PM
Please stop posting in multiple boards.  You need to go here and post your questions:

RAW video & ML -- Beginners Guide, FAQ & Useful Links -- READ FIRST
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0

But .. before you ask the same question again, please read the manual, watch the video and also follow the first link to a tutorial on the manual.

Thanks for the links which sorted the problem for me.  I did however search the forums before posting and did not find these links, but I have just come across this post:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5810.msg42407#msg42407
which explains the issue I have with removing the bootflag - at the moment it appears to be impossible.
5D3, 5D2, 7D, FCPX

upthinklab

I expanded my testing with the June 11th (4d1420a) build this morning using FPS override at lower frame rates. Once I drop the 5D3 below 6FPS I get noticeable vertical banding in the resulting DNG sequence. At 6FPS it looks good, at 2FPS the vertical banding is extremely visible without any additional post processing in camera RAW.

I'm using a 3 axis motion control rig (running steppers at top speed, continuous) to experiment with a hybrid approach to quick time-lapse style video using the new RAW module. I'm pleased with the results (even with the slight mBlur due to the continuous motion and slow shutter), but the banding makes it unusable for now.

Vertical Banding - JPG
example 1 - http://upthink.tv/beta/ML/verticalbanding_00104.jpg
example 2 - http://upthink.tv/beta/ML/verticalbanding_overexposed_00063.jpg

Vertical Banding - DNG
example 1 - http://upthink.tv/beta/ML/000104.dng
example 2 - http://upthink.tv/beta/ML/000063.dng

Can anyone else replicate this?

a1ex

upthinklab

Quote from: a1ex on June 12, 2013, 05:09:19 PM
Optimize for low light.

I'll give that a try now. I was set to HiJello to get a slightly faster shutter speed since the 5D3 is in continuous motion on the moco rig. I'll report back after testing in "Low Light" mode.

If you don't mind me asking (I know you're busy with more important issues), but how does the faster shutter speed in FPS override affect the LV image to create the vertical banding? Is there anyway around this in future code?

EDIT: Confirmed, Optimize for Low Light removes vertical banding in DNG sequence.

a1ex

I have no idea how to solve that, it's specific to digic 5 cameras.

upthinklab

@ 3FPS 1920x1080 only 10mb/s is required to record RAW. With the lower bandwidth, would it be possible to pull higher resolution (above 1920)?

I was able to go much higher at low FPS on an earlier 1% compile using a 6D.

ajay

Please forgive me if this was already mentioned, but at least the June 9th build and previous builds have a bug that you may or may not be aware of: When I delete a file in the file browser, I immediately lose the audio on my headset. To revive the headset audio, I must move the record video switch to live view, then back to record video mode. It's not a show-stopper, but it can be rather annoying.

You guys are GREAT!

AJ

mannfilm

To confirm, there is no way to change audio levels while  recording raw (ie the "Q" is disabled)? The audio levels must be set first and left alone?

Note, if you hit the info or Q while recording in raw, it locks up the live audio levels. After stopping record, the levels are sometimes still de-activated until you use the canon "menu" button, which refreshs it?

JackDaniel412

The histogram ETTR at ISO 100 says that only 11 stop dynamic range on my MK III.
The MK II ETTR it shows 12.
It's true or I am crazy?

Northernlight

In the latest 5D3 build of June 17th the vertical stripes are back!!! :(

I thought these were gone for good by now!??

The stripes are not present in crop mode, only in regular 16:9 1920x1080 mode.
It does not matter if I use fps override or not, vertical stripes are there.

Where can I find the latest build where these stripes are gone??

Build from June 11th seem to be gone :(

EDIT: After reading through MANY threads, I accidentally discovered a post where it was mentioned that the latest sourcecode / RAW2DNG took care of this. I thought I had the latest source code in june 17th build?? Anyway, I installed latest RAW2DNG, and yes the stripes are gone!!

I know we are supposed to read through everything by ourself and preferably not be asking questions, but it is getting kinda difficult to know what is going on if you stay out of this forum for a couple of days :( - This was a rather crucial fix that should have had a headline somewhere imo.

driftwood

Many of the latest builds I have here for those who need them. If ML want me to remove this link let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/357k2kgbf4dx2zy/Upam6H6urE
Canon 60D, Canon 5DMK3, Lexar 1000x 128GB CF, Panasonic (shhhh!) GH2s & GH3s. :-)

jpjp

Quote from: Northernlight on June 19, 2013, 12:06:50 AM
In the latest 5D3 build of June 17th the vertical stripes are back!!! :(

I thought these were gone for good by now!??

The stripes are not present in crop mode, only in regular 16:9 1920x1080 mode.
It does not matter if I use fps override or not, vertical stripes are there.

Where can I find the latest build where these stripes are gone??

Build from June 11th seem to be gone :(

EDIT: After reading through MANY threads, I accidentally discovered a post where it was mentioned that the latest sourcecode / RAW2DNG took care of this. I thought I had the latest source code in june 17th build?? Anyway, I installed latest RAW2DNG, and yes the stripes are gone!!

I know we are supposed to read through everything by ourself and preferably not be asking questions, but it is getting kinda difficult to know what is going on if you stay out of this forum for a couple of days :( - This was a rather crucial fix that should have had a headline somewhere imo.
Running Magic Lantern June 15th(e75d49d) no stripes present also using Raw2dng 1.11 or 1.12 builds.
Edit: Seems like you were editing your post while i was typing this ;D

sksmseks

how can i record wav(sound) + 1080p 24fps ?

i record wav(sound) in SD.. than my CF card speed drop at 65~70m/s ;;

hjfilmspeed

Some findings from Magic Lantern Lourenco June 17th(f4a7ab8) these are very minor bugs or user error.  nothing on except  shutter fine tuning

recorded a 2.35.1 1920 @ 23.976 with shutter fine tunning to set 180 degree
recorded a 5x crop 2.35.1 2240 at 29.976 twice (accidentally because i didnt set fps overide) with same shutter fine tuning
went to file manager and deleted those 2 2240 files
changed fps overide to 23.976 exact, adjusted shutter fine tuning for 180 degree shutter 
recorded a 5x crop 2.35.1 2240 at 23.976 fps override exact with 180 degree shutter fine tuning
turned off the auto power off. changed mode to 720 60p changed fps override to 48 exact and changed and adjusted shutter fine tuning to 180 degree
recorded 2.35.1 at 1920 at 48fps with shutter fine tuning
went to file manager and 2240 file and 1920 48 fps file were not there.
backed out of ml menu and then went back to file manager then the files were there but a really fast blip of what looked like words that said date and time flashed went away. backed out and then went back and then it flashed again
pulled batt just in case
went back to file manager and it was fine. not sure what it was.
the only thing i did differently from other times that i use ML is that i turn off the auto power off because i had left it on from a shoot . i usually keep that off before i load ML.
I remember seeing that lil date and time blip flash a while back from and earlier build too. hope this helps. sorry for poor bug reporting.

aaphotog

Question, I seem to have a problem with my CF not wanting to record(camera reporting card may be full, when it's really only half full). So, I have to format the card to get it to work. Im now using ExFat to format the card. Is the only way to format with ExFat, to hook up to my mac?

nicmac

Quote from: aaphotog on June 21, 2013, 04:25:12 AM
Question, I seem to have a problem with my CF not wanting to record(camera reporting card may be full, when it's really only half full). So, I have to format the card to get it to work. Im now using ExFat to format the card. Is the only way to format with ExFat, to hook up to my mac?

Try connecting the card to a computer and emptying the trash or recycle bin. See if that fixed your full card but half used scenario. Regardless I would recommend formatting your CF exFat. A mac or windows machine can do so.