Uncompressed 14-bit RAW video testing - 5D Mark III

Started by bumkicho, May 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothaibaphoto

Quote from: reddeercity on February 13, 2017, 06:40:46 AM
...Save about 35% on storage...
You can save even more simply by losslessly compressing original DNG. And, more importantly, you don't loose the ability to reprocess raw later, when your skills improved, with better software(raw developing algorithms improves a lot with time).
The biggest advantage to Flat/Log processing is you are not rendering Black which is large data plus you increase your dynamic range by 1 to 2 stops of light.
This statement may be relevant only to capturing Log in camera compared to capturing in rec709. By "processing" already captured raw data you can only loose.
if you do it right you should have a perfectly balance image
Yes, if you set correct WB, Exposure and so on in your raw converter. If not - see my first note, you can't fix it as long as you deleted your raw.
And, finally, you starting with blaming extremelypoorfilmaker for sentence with "stuck with exporting .MOV files with a log profile" but offer the same:
You can batch export LOG Tiff's, ProRes,DNxHD-Mov', Jpeg, PNG's

extremelypoorfilmaker

What I tried to say with my previous posts and I failed miserably xD, was exactly what dmilligan said: you might be seeing a flat look on your camera screen and you might be seeing a "graded" image on your editing program of choice, but regardless, all the data captured is there for you to play with! I thought that was implied knowledge everyone is aware of. :)

That's why, wicq, I was so puzzled by your ""obsession"" with having a flat look :D but it was my bad of not being able to explain it properly as dmilligan did.

@mothaibaphoto
xD Thanks for explaining what I AGAIN was unable to do. :)

I believe that the best and fastest way to work with mlv files is using the mlv fuse system/converting to dngs + resolve

About sonyraw. I haven't had the pleasure to work with any .ari files but .mxf sonyraw files are, like.. 16bit.. it's billions of colours *__*
Latest work I did I was grading TIFF screenshot of .MXF sonyraw files in Lightroom, exporting LUTs from my grading and applying them to the footage in resolve for then fine tuning the camera raw parameters.

It felt like playing with clay working with the sonyraw files from the Axs R5 recorder. :D
Still, to me, magic lantern dngs are up there with the standards used by "the bigs".

BIPFilms

Hi

My 70D is showing Hack Error (0) when I try to record  RAW can you assist

eddytkirk

Hey,

So I'm having trouble enabling raw video for anything more than 1920.

I want to try and shoot 4k but when I select 3520 which is my maximum resolution available it says "3520 is not possible in current video mode (max 1920)"

I've seen in a few remote places of the internet that you need to change the crop mode on the video menu, but I don't even have this option listed.

Any ideas on what to do?

lostfeliz

@eddytkirk To do this you should be using the latest experimental build. You should have the "Crop mode" set to "3k 1:1". And you need to magnify the preview to 5x. That's what works for me.

hjfilmspeed

@eddytkirk Here is a quick intro to rec 3k on 5d3

UPDATE! This should work with latest build on 6/2/2017
Read in the description for processing tips.
UPDATE! By default, the preview setting is set to auto. when it is set to auto, the preview option is hidden in the advanced menu of the RAW REC/MLV_Lite module. Auto preview should work as well.

Magic Lantern 3072 2.35:1 12 bit Lossless RAW Recording from the CROP_REC_4K build from 4-29-2017
Once you have ML installed and the correct build on your SD card, this video should help you set up your 5DIII to record 3K almost continuously depending on the scene. Remember ML on SD and Rec to CF.
Remember this build is experimental and not for those that are new to ML. Try at your own risk.
If you have not found a quick way to process your MLVs here is something quick and simple that I recommend:
1) download RAWFlow from here: magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php
2.) download latest MLV_DUMP here: builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html
on this page scroll down to the 4k RAW video recording. In that section you should find the Mac or windows version of MLV_DUMP
3.) Unzip and open up RawFlow and delete the MLV_Dump that's in that folder and replace it with newest version of MLV_Dump you just downloaded.
4.) transfer you MLVs from your card into a new folder on you computer.
5) Have the RawFlow folder open then highlight your MLVs and drag and drop them right on the RawFlow app inside that folder.
6) it might ask you for permission to continue. Say yes and it should bring up the command window and start converting to DNGs and placing them in separate folders by clip. RawFlow will place your DNGs in the same folder as the MLVs.

wasim89

@hjfilspeed, thank you so much for this tutorial, it really helped a lot.

I think I saw a video in the forum that was shot on 2k in 50fps using the crop mode, i cant find it again. If its possible, could you please give me instructions on how to settings to shoot that?

foliovision

What you've done with HD for the Canon 5D Mark III is amazing. I've been doing some test shots and the footage is stunning. I'm taking the footage straight through the Footage app on Mac to CinemaDNG and editing in Resolve.

I'm preparing a dance film now which will use the 1920 HD in this build (binning version with full frame). I'd like to use some 3K as well to be able to finish in a very widescreen format. Unfortunately there's no preview in the 3K which means I can't use it.

I'd be happy to provide a $200 reward for the creators if within the next week a build can be made where there's working smooth preview (could be black and white) for higher resolutions (up to 3K 1 to 1). Is this possible?

Walter Schulz

foliovision

Hi Walter. Evidently I've done something wrong. My shoot has been rescheduled but the reward offer still stands. Not having guide audio is a drag (at least in 1920x1080) but can be overcome with external sound recording and a clapper board. Just like "real" film. No preview at 3K is crippling though - it means only static camera and wide shots are possible in 3K. That's still better than nothing though as often if mixing footage, it's the wide shots where you really want the extra detail for production value.

In any case, if I've done something wrong and there shouldn't be rewards, please let me know. I'm happy to donate $50 just the way it is (I may have donated in the distant past when I first put ML on my camera years ago but without a forum account). It's great work you're doing and I'm extremely grateful.

Alec Kinnear

Prokopios

So what is the latest update for 5D mark III. Can we shoot continuously 4K at 10 bit??

Lars Steenhoff

Prokopios

The last thing which is on the experiments page is below, is this the latest??

4K raw video recording; lossless compression

crop_rec module with higher resolutions (4K, 1080p48 etc):

5D3:

1920x960 @ 50p (both 1:1 crop and full-frame - 3x3 pixel binning)
    1920x800 @ 60p (same as above)
    1920x1080 @ 45p and 48p (3x3 binning)
    1920x1920 @ 24p (1:1 square crop)
    3072x1920 @ 24p (1:1 crop)
    3840x1600 @ 24p (1:1 crop)
    4096x2560 @ 12.5p (1:1 crop)
    4096x1440 @ 25p (1:1 crop)
    Full-resolution LiveView: 5796x3870 at 7.4 fps (128ms rolling shutter).
    Continuous: 3072x1308 @ 24p, 1920x1080 @ 45p, 1920x960 @ 50p, 1920x800 @ 60p, 4096x2560 @ 8p, 5796x3870 @ 5p.

phil7

hi.

I just downloaded latest nightbuilt for canon 5d mk III 1.2.3 and it doesnt record 4k ( i cannot select anythingbigger than HD resolution). What shall I do ? SO I got the Latest Build (2017-10-31 01:12)

walter_schulz

To enable higher resolutions with nightly you have to enter crop mode by pressing loupe button once. 4k recording is not yet included in NBs because it's experimental.

Kanakori

when using crop_rec 1080p 45/48/50/60fps do I need to enable 720p50/60 mode on canon's menu?

cabralkev

I'm about to install ML. Is the RAW worth using? I'm worried of burning up the CPU to the camera. Is there a high-temp shutdown if the CPU gets too hot?

Markus

Raw is Intensive on your recording media not on the cpu. Recording compressed video data is more process intensive = hot cpu (though the camera deals with this with dedicated chips that are tasked to handle the compression processing)

[email protected]

hey.. i m getting grain only when i convert mlv to dng using different converters. does anybody know what's the issue?
It's a pre-wedding shoot if you can answer as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot..

ibrahim

With the nightly builds on 5d3 firm. 1.2.3 (respectively the experimental) what will the HDMI signal be in, 14-bit 4:4:4 or 12-bit, if I were to use a external video capture card to transfer the footage to a PC via USB 3.0? I want to video capture the footage and encode it through a live streaming software.
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

a1ex

HDMI signal is 8-bit 422 and is managed by Canon firmware, not ML.

For low-level details, refer to HDMI I2C communication (that's pretty much all we know about the HDMI chip).

ibrahim

So does this imply that there is no point in using a monitor/recoder as odysseyq7+ which can record in 10-bit over HDMI since my HDMI output is only 8-bit?

This product claims to use supersampling which results in a pseudo-10-bit color sampling for improved color reproduction. Does this mean that encoding with this product will result in better quality than the original 8-bit hdmi?
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

allemyr

katrikura

I understand that the internal recording of the 5diii is 4-2-0 and the hdmi output is 4-2-2