Uncompressed 14-bit RAW video testing - 5D Mark III

Started by bumkicho, May 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pholler

Hey guys!

I documented 40 variations in which i tried nearly everything possible (different ML-builds, different 5D3-firmwares, differenct CF-cards, different 5D3-cameras, lot's of different ML- and Canon-settings). I came to a conclusion. On the 5D3 you always do get bad frames or frameskipping once in a while. Not so on the 5D2 - this model is free of that issue. The amount of bad frames can be influenced by the amount of hardware-intensive modules you use (focus peaking, zebras, histo).

The best solution for me is to use DIGIC-peaking and fast-zebras instead of focus-peaking, zebras and histogram. With these settings i do only get few bad frames (about 1 bad frame per 5 minutes).

It would be very cool if one of the devs could have a look at that. I do not think it's possible to get rid of these bad frames without coding.

Danne

And what do you get when you turn all of the extra settings of?
Do you get bad frames with RAW format as well?

pholler

When deactivating all modules except MLV and Global Draw on, without peaking, without zebras, without histo i do get frameskipping.

I never tried RAW, just MLV.

Danne

I meant global draw off.
You should try RAW as well.

pholler

Hi Danne,

you are right! I just tried RAW (not MLV) with ALL hardware-intensive modules on (focus peaking, full-histo, full-zebras) and i did not get any bad frames within 5 minutes. That's awesome!!!

I personally don't care if i record RAW or MLV and i do not see any drawbacks of using RAW. Not having all the metadata in the DNGs doesn't matter for video.

Danne

Cool. This means there is yet another strong reason keeping the raw format. If you turn of global draw, do you still get bad frames with mlv format?
If you, re on mac you could use cr2hdr-r which will add back correct metadata information for raw files. Also fast on dual iso conversion.
cr2hdr-r
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13512.0

DeafEyeJedi

Once again, Thanks to @a1ex, for keeping RAW and more importantly 113 for 5D3.  8)

Good work @pholler for confirming this and @Danne's cr2hdr-r app is a must have for everyone running Mac's.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

pholler

RAW doesn't support audio, right? Or is there a trick to get it working?

Licaon_Kter

Enable mlv_snd module, restart, turn MLV Sound ON.

Danne

pholler

OK, that's a big drawback :-(

The best solution would be to fix the mlv-bad-frame-issue. But i do not have a clue how to do that.

Sergey Pylypenko

I use MLV with sound (v113) or without for more then 2 years now and have continues filming at up to 2560x1072 (2.39;1) 24.00 fps without ever one bad frame.  When sound is on — there are two or three black frames at the end. Without sound it's all clear and neat. Thanks to all who're developing this 'magic' for us. Quality of raw video is striking!

budafilms

@Sergey Pylypenko

I read "continues filming at up to 2560x1072", that means, cointinous recording? Tell me if I am wrong. I can't get this resolution...

jarabmx

I am another one to report pink glitchy DNGs - I mostly get them when shooting 50fps - I almost never get them with 25fps. I have standard setup, 5D3, 113, KB 128 GB 1066x - I have now reformatted them to exFat, they were formatted to Mac OS Journaled - I can already push 50fps with higher framerate.

Unrelated to this I have one other problem - when shooting 50fps, the framing window on my screen does not correspond with the selected resolution and ratio - the displayed frame is way more squarish than it should be. And I am not talking about squeezed footage that needs to be stretched in post. I have asked friends and they reported the same thing - any workarounds?

jarabmx

Using RAW module gives me smuch longer running time.

50fps at 1792x606px

MLV: 22s
RAW 40s

Licaon_Kter

wicq

Im interested in buying this camera, apart from being an amazing camera by itself my main reason is because of magic lantern, but i need a confirmation. Can the 5D mark III with magic lantern record/shoot/film at 1080p in raw format continuosly? I mean without stop like it happens with my canon 700D that can only  record 11 seconds videos. I need this confirmation, please if you respond by sending me a link to another thread or t a page of this thread, please also say yes or no. Thanks in advance I really appreciate your help.

DeafEyeJedi

5D3 with a decent SD card to run ML off and a KB 128GB CF card for recording onto works flawlessly when it comes to shooting 24p @ 1080p continuously until the card fills up (be sure to set CF into exFAT) otherwise.

jonathan.grevsen

1920x960 is what works best for me. Also around 15 seconds of 50fps override. 256GB 1200x Komputerbay

DeafEyeJedi

Can you get 30p @ 1080p in MLV RAW w your KB 256GB 1200x @jonathan.grevsen?

jonathan.grevsen

When I shoot 25fps in 1080 I get framedrops pretty easy, so 30fps I don't think will be good for continous shooting.

DeafEyeJedi

Even at 25fps you get dropped frames in 1080p? In exFAT w card warm-up enabled?

Markus

I would recommend KB 1066x card over 1200x (buy 256gb cards not 128gb, they are slower for some reason). I can fill up my cards @ 1080 25p with Hdmi out. However it's very important to set the canon settings right to make this work.
You need to maximise the cameras free buffer memory and watch out for settings that use too much processing power.

Photo settings should be raw or smallest jpg only! <-- One of the most important setting to get right.
No auto white balance!
Auto focus off on af lenses

ML settings
Card needs to be Xfat and larger than 4 gig files enabled.
Some card warmup is recommended. I also recommend rolling a few seconds if you have shut down the camera because there seems to be a bug that sometimes makes the first recording stop after just a few seconds.
Be careful with too many ml functions enabled. I do use global draw on but I turn peaking and zebra off. I guess you can get cont. rec with these on but if you don't need them it might increase your cont. Rec stability.
Hdmi out, if you don't need it is also something that can be turned off to increase stability. I always use a viewfinder so for me it's always on.
You can also try Raw instead of Mlv and GL draw off for recording.
Deleting clips on card in camera to reserve space while recording can lead to frame drops/stopped recording when you continue to use that card.

There might be more settings to tweek that I just don't remember right now  ::)

jonathan.grevsen

@deafeyejedi Yes I do, but It wasn't like always, but happent after some time. Could be a setting.