Uncompressed 14-bit RAW video testing - 5D Mark III

Started by bumkicho, May 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pholler

@dubzeebass: i am not using spanning anymore.

@DeafEyeJedi:
No, the card is formated as FAT32. I cannot figure out a way to format it to exFAT and get ML running again using 1.1.3 as firmware version.
I also do get bad frames in MLRawViewer.

Yesterday i accomplished to make a 7 minute video without a single bad or skipped frame using the latest ML-build. Today using the exact same ML-settings and build the first video i tried stopped after about 30s cause of skipped frames. I don't know why. The card is certainly fast enough. The little camera logo is always green.

Than i switched the camera off and on again and tried with the very same settings and i did not get any skipped frames for 5 minutes but some bad frames again.

Does MLV-record work reliable for you guys with the latest builds? Am i the only one having these issues?

pholler

I just found the cause of the bad frames!
When global draw is off, everything works fine --> no bad frames.
With global draw is on --> bad frames

I normally use focus peaking, zebras, level indicator and full raw histogram at once.
So i did some further testing and i could isolate focus peaking as the cause of the issue.

Can anyone confirm that by using focus peaking on a 5D3, using v1.1.3 and a build between April and June?

DeafEyeJedi

If you are on a Mac -- You can set your cards into exFAT with Disk Utility.. It's rather easy & should help significantly with the bad/skip frames issues you're having.

I'll also double check my 5D3 with your exact settings later today after work (cameras at home).

Although I admit that I never use the level indicator from ML. Perhaps try testing out again with GD on and don't use level indicator -- see if your issues go away?

Which exact nightly build are you using?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

pholler

Thanx for your reply DeafEyeJedi.

I already tried it several times. I format the CF on my mac to exFAT and then copy the ML-files to the card. Putting the card back into the 5D3 the ML menus are gone. Doing the firmware update function to install ML fails every time.

At the moment i am using a self-made build from yesterday. But i also tried several nightly builds from April to Mai 2015. All do have the same issue. I think it does not matter what build you use. Just try the latest nightly.

I tried several different options with GD on. Histograms, level indicator, zebras - they all do not lead to bad frames. It's focus peaking. Whenever i activate thist function i get bad frames. I tried different options in the focus peaking menu. It doesn't matter. I always get bad frames.

I am going to deactivate focus peaking now. It's too bad cause this is the most important feature for filming.

Btw. i used "Slightly sharper" in LV DIGIC peaking together with Focus Peaking.

pholler

OK, i also got bad frames when focus peaking was disabled. So deactivating focus peaking just reduced the amount of bad frames.

DeafEyeJedi

Whoa Wait a min... You aren't running ML from a SD card and recording onto CF?

You're actually running ML AND recording onto the same CF card - correct?

I almost never do this actually... It's definitely recommended to run ML from SD and record onto CF.

pholler

Hi DeafEyeJedi,

thanx for the hint. I just managed to install ML on the SD and formated the CF to exFAT. Same result, bad frames :-(

DeafEyeJedi

Okay then You will need to benchmark the CF card to determine its read/write speeds and hopefully you don't have a dud copy.

Also what FPS are you shooting in? Which resolution? What do you have enabled in canon menu as well as ML menu? Are you sure you don't have crop-mode enabled?

pholler

Here is a benchmark of my card i did some months ago:

Well, i more and more think that this is a hardware issue. Is there anyone out there who can check if he gets pink frames using 5D3v1.1.3?

I borrowed a second 5D3 for testing. The stupid thing is that this has v1.2.3 on it and i cannot downgrade to v1.1.3 cause than all settings are gone. So i downloaded the latest ML-nightly for v1.2.3, which is from April. I used the same SD and CF-card as with my own 5D3 and i got simmilar results --> frameskipping once in a while and bad frames. So either the ML-nightly from April for v1.2.3 and all the nightlies from April till today for the v1.1.3 are bricked or my CF-card is bad.

I am going to check my card now...

pholler

Well to check the CF-card i copied the same 20GB file to the card via my mac four times and checked the md5checksum. They all have the same checksum so writing and reading from the card is fine.

pete:@Bot~: cd /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100EOS5D
pete:@Bot/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100EOS5D: md5 M02-1826.MLV
MD5 (M02-1826.MLV) = c6847ad57c2099c24354b3183bb6a531
pete:@Bot/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100EOS5D: md5 M02-1826\ copy.MLV
MD5 (M02-1826 copy.MLV) = c6847ad57c2099c24354b3183bb6a531
pete:@Bot/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100EOS5D: md5 M02-1826\ copy2.MLV
MD5 (M02-1826 copy2.MLV) = c6847ad57c2099c24354b3183bb6a531
pete:@Bot/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100EOS5D: md5 M02-1826\ copy3.MLV
MD5 (M02-1826 copy3.MLV) = c6847ad57c2099c24354b3183bb6a531

So it now looks like ML is writing bad frames to the card.

pholler

Here are the MLV-settings i used on the 2015-07-02-nightly:

pholler

@DeafEyeJedi
Can you try to dial in my MLV-settings provided in the last post into your 5D3 unsing the latest nightly and see if you get bad frames?

I am kind of stuck here. I already put so many hours in resolving the bad frame issue and to me it looks like MLV is not working properly on the 5D3 at the moment. I never had issues like that on the 5D2.

Markus

DeafEyeJedi

@pholler:

Sure but your screenshots aren't showing anything?

I just shot for over 10 minutes of MLV with 113 latest nightly (7/2/15) and no skipped frames.

Used KB 128GB 1066x formatted in exFAT.

pholler

@DeafEyeJedi:
The screenshots should show the whole MLV-setup.
Here is a link to my ML-Settings-folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cis7y9lpp88cy2q/AADG2PuhH2gtOoIdJjqKBmRha?dl=0

Which resolution did you choose?

@Markus:
Well mlv-recording stops quite often cause of skipped frames. I know it shouldn't cause the card is fast enough but it just does. I also tried different cards. Didn't help.
I tried ALL possible permutations of settings in the mlv-menu. This is one example. None ever worked.
And the stupid thing is i also do get bad frames on different 5D3-bodies. That's why i don't understand how anybody could get it working at all.

DeafEyeJedi

Nevermind. Had to restart my MacMini to get Safari to run like normal again. Anyway I shot in full HD 1920x1080 in 24 fps (with Override on) which I noticed you didn't use...

In case you were curious here are one of my usual settings:

I tend to have 'Frame Skippoing' OFF because I think it can cause problems sometimes especially if I set my cards into exFAT which does pretty well on its own for long takes.

Also I noticed you have Fix Black Level enabled -- not sure why you would want that ON for 5D3? I don't think you would need it...

And lastly it doesn't hurt to use 'Card Warm-Up' either...  ;)

p.s. I just tried again in your exact settings and ran it for over 6 minutes with no skipped frames. Are you sure you are recording onto your CF card and not SD?

pholler

Thanx for your screenshot. I am going to test these settings in a minute. Especially with fps-override set.

Well i normally didn't use frame skipping. But i lost some videos cause i didn't recognize that the card stoped recording. Nevermind. I also tried with frame skipping off.
Same with black levels. I normally didn't use it but at the moment i tried all different settings to find what is causing the bad frames.

Yes i do save on the CF card. The SD is far too slow for 1920x1080.

pholler

Even with your settings i do get bad frames :-(

Did you use zebrad, raw-histrogram and focus peaking? Can you send me your ML-settings-folder? Than i copy everything on my card and all the settings are the same and i try again.

DeafEyeJedi

Hmmm, Strange and yes I used both Raw zebra & histogram but do not need focus peak as often.

Sure, here it is:

My 5D3.113_ML Nightly (7/2/15) copy

Markus

@pholler
I'm in pal land but haven't had any problems with bad frames on my KB 256gb 1200x & 1066x cards. However have had problems with 128gb 1050x KB cards that was struggling to keep up with full hd writing speeds att 25fps.
Your card seems to be fast enough but do you have another fast card to test?
What does your bad frames look like?

pholler

First, let me thank you guys for your support! I appreciate your effort!

@Markus:
My bad frames look like this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5473.msg150360#msg150360
For testing i borrowed a Lexar 800x. Couldn't get any faster card. With this card i have to lower the resolution drastically. I tried to record four times for about five minutes and two out of them had frame skipping even though the writing speed wasn't the issue. I never had bad frames in this four tests. In my analysis i cluster the bad frame issue and frame skipping together. If any of these do happen it's bad.

@DeafEyeJedi:
Thanx for the settings. Are you sure the file is still online? I do get the following error "The folder you are trying to access does not exist"

I am trying one last thing:
The setting-files from DeafEyeJedi. If i still get bad frames it must be a hardware issue. First i send back my Lexar and try again with a new copy. If i then still get bad frames i have to send my 5D3 to repair.

DeafEyeJedi

Weird, I just clicked on it myself and took me to the folder I created for you.

*EDIT*

I just changed the link above from Mega to Dropbox -- let me know if that works for you.

In other words... Did you check to see if any spanning files were written on your SD card (Ive probably ran into similar situation where I learned that sometimes it would place spanning files onto the SD card) either by random or from forgetting to disable spanning files within ML settings.

Though unlike yours, my situation was more of black frames showing up during playback like as if it were missing frames, which I later figured out that it can be fixed by putting back together with spanning files within MLV file in the same directory and it all looks fine and dandy -- jm2c!

pholler

It WORKED with your settings!!! No bad frames for 6 minutes. Well now i have to find out which setting it is...

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: pholler on July 05, 2015, 11:58:46 AM
It WORKED with your settings!!! No bad frames for 6 minutes. Well now i have to find out which setting it is...
Those SETTINGS are text files, just diff them.

pholler

OK, starting from your settings and activating focus peaking i do get the same bad frames again :-(

Btw. it is interesting that zebras are active cause in you settings you selected "only in Photo mode". But it still works during recording.
And you always have the "NOT RECORDING" sign in red and the strikethrough rectangle even though it is recording. Strange.