Uncompressed 14-bit RAW video testing - 5D Mark III

Started by bumkicho, May 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franckino

Sure ? I read it was possible with 5D3, with some test in web magazine.

Walter Schulz

If you find a link to this piece of information feel free to share it here.
I suppose there is some mixup between FRSP (Full resolution silent pic) and 4k video.
You can do the math by yourself. ML RAW is just uncompressed data stream from the sensor. And DCI 4k is defined as 4096 x 2160.

Walter Schulz

You may use HD output in 12 fps and blow it up to 4k@24 and be proud to achieve this with a 50D. You can do so. Or else.
But if you ask how to record 4k (true DCI 4k@24) with 5D3 the answer is "No, we don't break the laws of physics and their implementation in hardware here!".

clapalm

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this questions or not, but here it is -
Just received my 5D Mark III back from Canon for an HDMI port repair and discovered that they updated my firmware to 1.3.3!  For the past year I have been shooting RAW with the ML hack exclusively with this camera.  Am I screwed?  Is there any way to install an older firmware once the newer one has been installed?   Does not appear that a ML build for 1.3.3 is happening any time soon.  Please help. Thanks

DeafEyeJedi

Please do NOT double post @clapalm -- This is a nice community here and questions will be answered promptly when timing persist.

Your original Post will be answered in here...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

andikamera

I´m using the lastest nightly build (Date: 2014-07-30 13:06:20 +0200) for the 5D MK III Firmware 1.2.3
On both modules (raw rec 1.0 and mlv 2.0) there is no chance to record raw video in correct aspect ratio,
you always have to stretch in post, right?

Kharak

No. Stretching is for slow-mo footage.

You can record any aspect ratio you like, depending on how wild you go with the aspect ratio you will have to decrease Vertical resolution
once you go raw you never go back

DeafEyeJedi

or try @Danne's app 'cr2hdr-r' which supposedly fixes aspect ratio's automatically for slo-mo's.

This only works on a Mac.

good luck!

bluewater

Hi, guys
I'm using ML for firmware 1.2.3 version.
As I see ML for 1.2.3 has no update since last August.
Maybe I can find some nightly build for 1.1.3.

•magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug07.5D3123.zip
•Built on: 2014-08-07 07:01:30 +0900

Is there any story about the reason for no updates for 1.2.3?
Development of 1.2.3 ML stopped?

When coming to the download page of ML of 1.1.3 I found some ironic words.

You cannot use this package for first install.
To install ML, please upgrade to firmware 1.2.3.

What does that mean?
For ML of 1.1.3 with Firmware 1.2.3 ??

I tried to install 1.1.3 ML with ML5D3113.FIR but it doesn't work.
(Body firmware is 1.2.3.)

I'm using RAW video for now with ML.
I want to know whether there is any change for 1.1.3 nightly version(2015) with the last version of 1.2.3(2014.8) such as higher resolution or frame rate by faster recording speed.

DeafEyeJedi

As previously stated by most of us users whom have tried both 113 and 123...

113 nightlies is the way to go for longer recording times in RAW/MLV's...

Downgrade from 123 to 113 is rather simple if followed directions correctly within from Download page.

Levinson

5d3, 5d2 & 550d

HD Cam Team

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on February 19, 2015, 08:10:51 PM
As previously stated by most of us users whom have tried both 113 and 123...

113 nightlies is the way to go for longer recording times in RAW/MLV's...

Downgrade from 123 to 113 is rather simple if followed directions correctly within from Download page.

Hi,

I spent lot of time surfing the forum (and honestly the white background kills my poor vision) but couldn't find clear answers, so maybe you could help me a bit (which I'd REALLY APPRECIATE), sorry for my questions:

To summarize:

1- What is/are the exact problem(s) when using ML for RAW video on 5D3 with 1.2.3?

2- According to the home page download link, this is the latest build for 5D3 1.2.3:

magiclantern-Nightly.2015Mar29.5D3123.zip
Built on: 2015-03-29 12:10:34 -0300

I was going to install it since my 5D3 runs firmware 1.2.3 but on other thread I read that you CANNOT disable the AutoBoot flag once it's enabled on the 5D3.

Q 2.1: Was it fixed?

Q 2.2: If you cannot disable autoboot: How can we get ML completely uninstalled?

Q 2.3: If you cannot disable autoboot: will it slow down the camera or make it be a potential problem in some situations? (especially thinking if I later sell the camera to a friend)

3- Could you please let me know the current RAW video file format(s) convertion methods for later editing? Long ago there was a tool only running in Linux

4- For large files like in RAW I need to format my card in ExFat, right? How can it be done safely? And can Win XP recognize the card later via USB card reader?

5- Long ago there was a "final" release for Canon T3i/600D, 5D2 and many other models. That never came for 5D3, is that right? (I wish there was)

Sorry once again for many questions and thank you very much in advance!!

Pablo
HD Cam Team
Web:
www.HDCamTeam.com | Twitter: @HDCamTeam | Facebook: HDCamTeam

Walter Schulz

1: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14704.msg142089#msg142089
2.1: Fixed about 13 months ago.
3: Access post-processing forum
4. No, you don't need ExFAT but it is recommended. How? Just do it. ExFAT was introduced with XP SP2 (August 2005). And you should really, really think about upgrading.
5. No, you don't wish to use old "stable". No RAW video support at all. Among other things.

HD Cam Team

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 27, 2015, 11:29:22 PM
1: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14704.msg142089#msg142089
2.1: Fixed about 13 months ago.
3: Access post-processing forum
4. No, you don't need ExFAT but it is recommended. How? Just do it. ExFAT was introduced with XP SP2 (August 2005). And you should really, really think about upgrading.
5. No, you don't wish to use old "stable". No RAW video support at all. Among other things.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

This thread (and others) is so long that I couldn't find clear answers, as I mentioned earlier.

Your reply is really appreciated!  :)
HD Cam Team
Web:
www.HDCamTeam.com | Twitter: @HDCamTeam | Facebook: HDCamTeam

alexidoia

Hello,

I am going to be the second pita to ask dummies questions, but the fact that the sticky post on the raw guide is not up-to-date (the first thread), a lot of things confuses me.

I have a canon 5Dmk3 initialy 1.2.3
I install ML and had no problem to record mlv execpt that my card would not record more than 1 minutes (exfat and MLoption Checked) and the video zoom x5 was all pixel grey, unusable.
I read that downgrading to 1.1.3 could fix some problems and be faster and that is was that was suggested right now. So, I downgraded to 1.1.3  and install ML again.

Now I can't record mvl files without skipping frames althought the Wspeed is around 90MB/s and my card is 160MB/s (x1066).
The zoom is still not working
The play back of the footage is quite slow (but I did not expected it to be better)

I'd like to be sure on a few points :
- 1.1.3 is still to be prefered to 1.2.3
- the question of the bootflag is not a question anymore since you can remove it if you want.
- do I have a bootable card ? I read to use EOSdisk, but that is no more a concern right ? (it is still on the first thread of the sticky post "Raw recording guide for beginners"

Thanks a lot for your time.

Alex

Walter Schulz

A non-bootable card will not allow the cam to load and run ML.

Use Debug -> Benchmarks -> Card R/W benchmark (5 min) to determine write performance. Press Play button after starting benchmark run. After completion there will be a file BENCH0.PPM on your card. You may convert it to JPEG, upload it somewhere (picload.org or else) and link it here.
And you have to tell which settings you used. Resolution and frame rate.

drills

Hello everyone
I'm sure what I have to ask it's already somewhere on this forum but i can't find it so...
I used MLV last summer for a couple of videos and everything worked well.
Today I tried to install the new last version of ML (I have the 5D mark III with 1.2.3), and I did a couple of test recording and this is what I would like to know?

1 - I tried to record with MLV but I can't convert the videos with "raw2dng" or "rawmagic". Can you please tell me why both softwares are saying me "files not supported"? And if there is any other good software I can use?

2 - If i record in RAW instead MLV those softwares can convert the files (without camera audio tho, which I need), but when I put the converted files in Premiere Pro, the videos are completely purple[/img][/img][/img].

3 - If I look at the .dng preview files after conversion, the images looks darker than the mark3 lcd preview while recording, like 2-3 stops darker. How can I solve this?

Thank you so so much in advice.

David

Walter Schulz

1.) RAWmagic is not supported here but banned. And this is why: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13335.0
It is not that easy to say why raw2dng is not doing its job without having your MLV file which is making problems. If you can reproduce error you might generate a short MLV file and upload it somewhere (and link it here) so we can access it. Which raw2dng version are you using?
And there are some tools around http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=54

pholler

Hi guys,

i do keep getting odd pictures in my mlv-videos with my 5D3 v1.1.3 and don't know what to do against. Sometimes they look like this:

and sometimes they look like this:

and this is how it should look like:

I do get about 3 or 4 of these frames per minute. That makes using raw video practically impossible.

I already tried the following things without success:

• different CF-cards
  • a lot of different ML-builds from April to May 2015
  • copied the same .mlv-file from my card reader to the computer several times to check if my card reader is having an issue
  • deactivated card spanning in ML
  • with and without the Fix Black Level Option
  • different Buffer options
  • used MLVMystic with diferent options and also tried mlv_dump in different options

I never had issues like that with the 5D2.

pholler

Video also stops quite often cause of skipped frames but the writing speed of the card is not the issue. The camera icon during recording is always green.

pholler

So after trying a lot i just updated to the latest ML-build. It looks good. I need further testing but i think the issue is gone.

dubzeebass

If you turn on spanning and forget about it, it can cause issues like this if you don't include the .M00 etc files when decompressing.

DeafEyeJedi

@dubzeebass:

That's actually true as I've experienced that myself as well in the past. I usually tried to avoid turning spanning on because exFAT is such a lifesaver and does a better job for the most part.

@pholler:

Did you format your cards into exFAT?

Also have you tried previewing original MLV files with MLRawViewer first before converting?