Uncompressed 14-bit RAW video testing - 5D Mark III

Started by bumkicho, May 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorber

Hi

I have extreme noise in the black of my RAW footage. I have a 5D Mark III with latest firmware. the original canon firmware do a better job. Some ideas what i do wrong?

cheers and thanks

Walter Schulz

Please provide unedited and edited sample frames and information about your workflow.

johnwangphoto

I have two questions and hope someone more experienced on this forum can help me out.

1. I can't get the auto ISO working on any of the exposure modes on the camera when I shoot MLV. On original 5d Mark III video mode the auto ISO works. Does this function work on ML?

2. Is there a way to save the MLV video shoot setting so I can recall the setting just like the custom modes on the original 5D Mark III?

Thanks a lot and have a wonderful holiday!

John

DjJuvan

5DMK3 raw (latest ML update) on 1.1.3 firmware has one biggest bug I've ever noticed....

But it wasn't on all shot's with direct sunlight. Some came out fine. I suppose it's not the problem in direct light, because I already reported bug on twitter with no response;

Can anyone explain this annoying bug? And how to fix this in post? How to avoid in future?

DjJuvan

Solved the problem.... the Magic Lantern Raw Converter had some settings ON that fucked the pixels. So I turned Chorma smoothing and ACR Profile off and it works now.ttttttt

papalaz

I have been doing some tests on raw video and I noticed there were vertical band lines. Is there a fix for this or a suggested build to use that doesn't give this issue. I have a shoot over the weekend and wanted to shoot raw instead h.264, especially seeing how well magic lantern works on this camera.

I have dng files if someone wants to take a look. Thanks in advance.

Current work flow is,  RAW to DNG via RAW magic lite and then into photoshop to tiff.  The issue is noticeable in DNG file.

Justin.

Danne

Try this app or automator workflow for mac. It converts regular raw or dual iso files if you work with those. Also mlv files if needed. It applies vertical banding fix implemented from a1ex using raw2dng binary.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13512.0

papalaz

I will try that, although I did just notice that raw magic introduced a new version which has a check box to remove banding. Currently exporting and may fix the issue.  I will also down this as I want to use dual iso images.  So thanks for this :-)

Danne

Rawmagic is not supported here
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13720.msg132587#msg132587

You could work also with mlrawviewer and mlvfs. Two very competent converters/workflow.

stevethornton

DjJuvan, what converter did you use and what settings did you use? I have the same issues in grossly over exposed areas when I shoot at night and have a strong light in the scene. Thanks!

MistressBand

Hey stevethornton,
I had the same problem too.  I use MLV Converter
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10198.0
Just do what DjJuvan said, turn off those options, and the green pixels go away.  It took me a while to stumble onto that solution myself.

DJG

Hey Guys,

I haven't switched my build since August 21, 2013. The one I had seemed to work great with the exception of the heavy noise if the blacks are lifted. Has that been sorted out? Are there any new advantages to the later builds on the old firmware, and the new firmware?

I have 60fps and dual iso on the old build I'm currently using.

If anyone can update me in a nutshell, would greatly appreciate it :)

DeafEyeJedi

Wow that's awhile... Assuming you are still on 1.1.3?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DJG

Yes I am, haha. Any major upgrades I might've missed?

Walter Schulz

Let's see. 2013_08_21 ... looks like build number 1 has a time stamp 2013_08_22.
Newest build for 5D has number 341. Yes, there might be some issues solved.

A look into modules
Old:
Arkanoid
Autoexpo
Ettr
File_man
Pic_view
Raw_rec

New:
Arkanoid
Autoexpo
deflick
dot_tune
dual_iso
ettr
file_man
mlv_play
mlv_rec
mlv_snd
pic_view
raw_rec
silent_mo

Looks like you missed MLV recording, a new method for flicker free time-lapses and Silent Pictures. And AFMA (dot_tune)

DJG

Thanks for your response :) I see. I do have dual ISO, but it was when it just came out. Has the picture quality improved any? Or any fixes for being able to record in specific picture modes instead of everything coming out in standard? From your experience.

DeafEyeJedi

Recording times have slightly increased for both RAW/MLV and to be able to use FRSP in silent_mo (especially Timelapse) is just godsend!

This is speaking directly from 1.1.3 latest nightly...

jtvision

Is FRSP on nightly builds for 1.1.3.? Or did you compile yourself?

DeafEyeJedi

@jtvision - Not yet. Had to compile it myself. It's quite simple actually.

winmediacenter

could somebody tell me why in the 3x Crop Mode the actual active sensor area is not in the center? and it's inpossible to move it around into the center of the sensor.
when i'm using fisheye lens it looks qiute strange.

jdxxx

hello magicians,
i am getting a frame rate of 24.01 on 5dmark iii 1920*1080p(pal mode).FPS override to 24. camera running on 113 built. Is this normal or should i be worried.I am using komputerbay 64gb 1000x cards.
Also i tried running full 64gb on single take (12minutes) and that file is not converting in raw magic or  reading in MIRawViewer. Is this an issue? small takes of 3-4 minutes(only tested) works fine.

I tried connecting my zacuto evf and it works fine.It is showing 1080 60i in my zacuto instead of 108024p.

any one encountered these issues.
Spill the magic fellow members.
thanks in advance

jtvision

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5732.0
This should help with converting to DNGs.

You don't need to use FPS overide if it's from 25 to 24. You better convert it in post.
I think it was set as optimize for low light.

franckino

Hi all, does anyone know which CF Card I need to shoot in 4K Raw with the 5DMIII ? I bought a CF Card 1000x 160Mo, but it doesn't work. I thank you

Walter Schulz

You need a card with date rate
Vertical resolution * horizontal resolution * frame rate * 14 / 8 Byte/s
Or in numbers
4096 * 2160 * 24 * 14 / 8 = 371589120 Byte/s -> 354.4 MByte/s
And another camera because 5D3 would not do it.