Uncompressed 14-bit RAW video testing - 5D Mark III

Started by bumkicho, May 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank7D

Did you try turning the camera off and on again after you activated raw_rec?

STEVENPIX

STEVENPIX

So After Reformated SD Card, put 123 Firmware and ML Data Folder again, then Load ML 123 and restart it works !!! :-)
Thanks Frank7D for the way of solution :-)

jans

Installed yesterday ML latest version on my D53.Newby with ML. Made Test shots converted with Raw Magic in Davinci all frames are pinky. MLV viewer normal colors. What I do wrong. Please your ideas. Thanks

Benji Tshi

Hi there,

I've installed ML on my 5D MkIII, version 1.2.3. Loaded the raw_rec module, set it up for 1920x1080 30 FPS recording, set the CF card as the preferred card in both Canon and ML menus, and though it's a Lexar 1066X capable of more than 100 MB/s, the recording fails after 10-12s, saying "Early stop (11)"
Tried several times, always the same ending.

Any idea or thoughts ?

walter_schulz

You verified the card is good for > 100 MByte/s in write mode or are you just quoting the specs?

Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card R/W benchmark (5 min).
Benchmark will generate a file on card's root directory. Upload it and put a link here.

Benji Tshi

Verified it myself, as i can write and read from it at 120/130 MB/s.

I ran the benchmark you mentionned, but i don't know what's the log and how to upload it. Is it bench0.ppm ?
While it was running, it was giving me 117/118 MB/s write and 155 MB/s read.

walter_schulz

Benji Tshi

24 FPS works fine indeed...I even tried a Sandisk Extreme Pro UDMA7 (1066X too) but the same error happens

EDIT : It's now working. I disabled raw_rec and all the other modules, rebooted, enabled them again (only mlv_rec and raw_rec for now) and it works. Probably some minor bug.

Walter Schulz

I'm wondering why you enabled MLV_REC.mo and RAW_REC.mo together.

Benji Tshi

Because i saw on some crappy guide that i was supposed to enable all of them in order to record RAW, didn't see mlv was like a v2 so i don't need raw_rec anymore. During my first tests, i only enabled raw_rec though, and it wasn't working.

/ML newbie :D

dude

Hi guys,
i am using 123 with the latest(...) built,
sometimes there are some green dots around highlights, i don t have any clue what causes them..
sometimes they appear, sometimes not.
i am using the computerbay 64 gig and mlv converter 1.9.2, in ml raw viewer there are no dots, so this limits the problem to mlv converter, right?

budafilms

@a1ex
I really need your help.

I am shooting a full movie and I get white dots in the image. Always in the same position.
In others DNG this dots are grey or are not recognising.

ML 1.2.3 - 5d mark III

This are not a couple, it´s a lot and I can´t find a tool for remove under OS X. I google it and explain about pink or blue but not white.

I talk with Baldand an he doesn´t know from MLV Viewer.

What do you suggest me to fix it  or reduce it?

The year before I did a full movie without this dots, using the same camera, cards but other firmware.

Please, this is important, I have a lot of people implicated in the project. It´s my responsibility of course.

If you need other shots or DNG with other ISO just tell me.

I put two frames in dropbox for check

Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6g227xenuq9bge2/AABWQG5jP5othFCPj_RcB4uia?dl=0

dmilligan

Walter Schulz

dubzeebass

Enable chroma smoothing in your demuxing program or use a different one.

baldavenger

Looks like hot pixels to me too.

Do you use davinci?  The dodgy pixels seem fixed in position (sensor issue), so add a layer mixer node, isolate the offending pixels in the lower node (you can then save the node's matte as a template for all other clips), then in the Sizing panel choose node sizing and use pan or tilt to move the pixels out of sight.

The same can be done in After Effects.  Your project isn't doomed :)
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | Canon 24-105mm f4L | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Samyang 14mm T3.1 | Opteka 8mm f3.5

budafilms

@baldavenger

Yes, Davinci Resolve Lite.

Do you have a link or video in youtube as references?

I hope I can reduce the problem. I have to present in three month the movie in Argentina.

PS: I was trying but i can´t select only that pixels. I need a tutorial or something.

I started to do slowly, every pixel, the process to create a layer to replace the dots with a shape with blur. This is crazy.

I don´t know if this problem was my sensor, or firmware, or temperature. I hope someone can explain me how to prevent this. Important to other users too.

Danne

Acr should take care of hot pixels. Export to pro res in AE.
Or maybe this.

http://youtu.be/fBxyx-1b188

dmilligan

Quote from: budafilms on December 12, 2014, 03:19:09 AM
I don´t know if this problem was my sensor, or firmware, or temperature. I hope someone can explain me how to prevent this. Important to other users too.

Hot pixels are just inherent to CMOS sensors, there's nothing really wrong, all CMOS cameras are going to have hot pixels like this. They get worse with increasing ISO and exposure time (and probably sensor temperature and other stuff like that).

It's just that normally you don't see them because at some point they have already automatically been corrected (either by processing hardware on the camera, or your raw development software). The free version of Resolve doesn't correct hot pixels, but most other raw processing software does (including the pro version of Resolve AFAIK). ACR automatically fixes hot pixels as Danne says, as does Premiere and SpeedGrade, however, in Premiere/Sg you may still see them in playback but they will be gone in the final render (I suppose it automatically disables the correction to speed up playback and it's only applied when rendering)

budafilms

Thanks everybody.

So, for reduce hot pixels, a short list could be:

- Try to use ISO between 100 to... 800?
- Turn off the camera to cold down and try to work to 40 Degrees Celsius?
- Don't use FPS overwriting ?
- In case you get: try with ACR, Premiere or manually (like me) with DaVinci Resolve creating a mask with blur over the pixels.

dubzeebass

Also take off the lens and put on the body cap. Then run the sensor cleaning for a couple minutes. Sometimes that disables the pixel.

Cdimitrius

Hi guys,
I just installed the latest Nightly Build for my 5d3 after updating the camera firmware but I cant load the modules like I used to do on 113 canon firmware. Can you guys help me with this?
Most of the video features are not here on this build as it used to be before when I was using the 113 firmware.
please send me any hint.
Best