How to Record: -- 60/50 fps RAW Video for 5D3 & others --

Started by RenatoPhoto, May 17, 2013, 04:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTGator

Hey could Ultimatemale or someone help me out with the post-processing workflow here? I captured some 60fps at 1920x504 and need to figure out how to stretch it. I used MLViewer to convert to .mov. Is there a simple way using FCPX (preferably) to go from 1920x504 to 1920x818?

EDIT: Figured it out... Under Transform, I can Scale the Y axis independently. Easy! But it's a percentage... so do I choose 162%?
And I can also Modify->Retime->Custom Speed->Automatic (makes it 40%) to have it conform to 24fps.

jimmyD30

I know in AE you can just resize the composition and then have footage fit comp.

legreve

Last year I shot a music video over three weekends.
It was shot entirely on 5D raw in 50fps 1920 1.85 aspect without any issues.

Today I tried mounting a march build I had lying around and I couldnt get the same cards past 82,3mb even though last year I had 92,5mb on them.
Also... I clearly remember needing 87mb or so for 50fps and now I need 107 according to ML.

What changed? Im using the exact same gear as last year....

ilovecinema

Hi, everyone! Thanks a lot for all the information in this thread (especially to RenatoPhoto, obviously).

(1) Let's say I want to shoot RAW @50fps. Is it better (speed-wise or in any other way) to use (a) or (b)?
(a) setting 60fps[@NTSC]@Canon menu & @ML menu: FPS Override=50fps;
(b) changing to PAL and setting 50fps @Canon menu? (Plus: should I use ML's FPS Override=50fps in that case anyway?).

(2) It has been pointed out that "Higher frame rate modes in Canon settings results in slower speeds", so would it make sense to set up the speed @Canon menu for, say, 25fps(@PAL) and @ML settings use FPS Override of 50fps?

johnwangphoto

Hi everyone.

I am new to ML on 5d MarkIII and I just have a few questions on shooting 60fps on 5d mark III. On my ML 5d MarkIII the FPS override is disabled and how to enable it? I shot some 1920x672 60fps clips and got the squashed images. You mentioned you fixed the issue in AE. I just wonder can I just make an action in PP and get the same result? For the post after I grade the images in ACR can I just use Quicktime sequence or FCP to assemble the single jpeg images to a video clip instead of all the other softwares you mentioned?

Thanks a lot!

DigitalVeil

Whoa, I thought this whole time the squashed video height in Canon 720p mode was intentional to allow cameras with slower storage to get wider resolutions.  This isn't intentional?

It's really strange that Canon's default 720p h264 mode can record 60fps with no squashing, but ML raw in 720/60 mode is squashed even with custom resolutions set well below 720p and FPS set well below 30.  Assuming the 7D Mark II eventually gets an ML port, I wonder if that will be the first camera to record 1080p60 raw without squashing (given its 1080p60 h264 mode) or if it will have the same problem when set to 1080p60 mode.
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

noipego

hi all ..i'm using ml for over a year and i'm very happy filming @ 1080p with 5d3. 1st time now i need to write in 720p50 16:9 and im having the following issue.
I have 720p50 ALL-I in canon menu...set fps override and desired fps set to 50 and everything else set properly (i need 16:9 aspect)....but i get cropped 1280 and the display is minimized in a small box (if i turn off GD i get full image but still not writing in 16:9 720p). I'm on 5d3 123-Aug. build
Am i doing smth wrong here? Appreciate any help..thx

DirNik

I've shot this short film / visual poem with Magic Lantern and 5dmk3 in 50fps! Check it out

Danne

Beautiful. Peaceful atmosphere and a strong message.

goldenchild9to5

@DirNik Wow.. That was beautiful great job my friend.  Did you use any specific LUT in Davinci Resolve 11?

N/A

Quote from: DigitalVeil on January 08, 2015, 02:23:43 AM
Whoa, I thought this whole time the squashed video height in Canon 720p mode was intentional to allow cameras with slower storage to get wider resolutions.  This isn't intentional?

It's really strange that Canon's default 720p h264 mode can record 60fps with no squashing, but ML raw in 720/60 mode is squashed even with custom resolutions set well below 720p and FPS set well below 30.  Assuming the 7D Mark II eventually gets an ML port, I wonder if that will be the first camera to record 1080p60 raw without squashing (given its 1080p60 h264 mode) or if it will have the same problem when set to 1080p60 mode.
Besides advanced methods used in the adtg-gui module, ML really can't control the line-skipping in non-crop mode, which causes the squashed look in high fps. I found a glitch on 7d that allows for 48 fps raw video that doesn't need stretching in post, haven't been able to push it up to 60 fps though.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Danne

@N/A. 48fps is pretty cool. Wonder if it works on the 5d mark 3. Are you filming at highest aspect ratio?

DeafEyeJedi

@N/A:

Currently waiting on my boss's response for me to check out 7D in order for me to confirm this fabulous 48fps bug that you found...argh!

Until then!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

N/A

Sorry guys, been crazy busy with life lately, I've hardly been on my computer in 3 weeks :o

Dianne, yeah the highest Rez I could manage was 1728x694, for somewhere around 10-15 seconds. It's the same quality as normal non-crop raw video, it's a great improvement over the squashed slo mo raw as far as aliasing and artifacts go. I posted a couple of comparison pics in the 7d thread.

I haven't had anyone confirm this yet, deafeye, so feel free to prove that I'm not crazy or senile ;D
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

DirNik

kgv5

The highest framerates on 5d3 now which works for me without any problems (despite of short recording time of course) are 35 38 fps in non crop and 65 fps in crop mode. Ability to record 48fps in non crop even in lower resolution would be really cool.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

HaZe

Hi! hope this comes to the right forum thread..

i have now tried everything.. i think..

The goal is to record 60 fps at a high definition for slowmo effect in post.

i have a 5DMK3 with a CF card , brand: wellcore , x1100 , 165MB/s.

on my pc i get write speed over 125MB/s
on camera i get aprox 65-69MB/s when i try the benchmark.

still i get skipped frames after 7-14 seconds of recording..

so is there anything else i can check ? it feels like the card reader in the canon camera is limited somehow because the card work great at all the tests on a pc with usb3 card reader.

budafilms

@HAZE

Google "CF card Write speed Magic Lantern Raw" your question is too old.
Quikly, In my opinion your card is not working fast around 90 MB/s. Try Komputerbay 1000x 64 GB or Lexar.

- Card reader on 5D is not USB3.
- And try Hacked On, GB Off, No Focus Peak, etc in ML menu.

Good Lantern!

Walter Schulz

There are benchmarks and there are benchmarks ...
@HaZE: Try photo mode and press Play button after starting benchmark. Each benchmark completed will generate a file in card's root directory called BENCHxxx.PPM. Convert it to JPG, upload it somewhere and link it here.
And your post is missing crucial information: Card size, modules loaded, RAW or MLV video mode used, firmware version, ML version, resolution and frame rate ...

newreal

Hello people,

I'm new to Magic Lantern, I mainly film action sports (like skiing and biking...) and therefore slow-motion at 60fps is something i use pretty often.
I've been spending hours on internet reading about this fabulous hack for the 5dm3 but i'm not certain of a few things concerning the continuous recording times and resolutions... Basically what i would of liked to know is:

a) what is the highest resolution capable of continuous recording at 60/50fps on the 5dm3?
b) is a SanDisk, 128go, 160mb/s, cf card a good choice?

Thanks for your time and replies!
Cheers,

yannick

goldenchild9to5

Hey @newreal you won't be able to get continous 60p footage, but you'll be able to get 48, 50p with @ 2:35 aspect ratio works beautifully. 

budafilms

@newreal

depending of your card too, you can try starting with an aspect ratio very small, and taking note how many time you can rec.
Could be very usefull here.
Maybe at 1280x720 or more you can get a lot of minutes ;)

a1ex

QuoteWhat is the possibilities for shooting unsquashed and not loosing the quality?

Done!

johnnycorcoran

just to be sure!
I have a Canon 5d mk III and have a 1280 @ 60 fps, o what the Magic Lantern for? if people want to set it on 60fps on Magic, it still the same?