CF-to-SATA hardware interface for RAW recording (fork)

Started by Grunf, May 17, 2013, 03:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albert-e

Quote from: akiesels on June 11, 2013, 10:06:06 AM
I heard back from the ES&S Cable folks. 

They are on it!  Check out their double-headed CF cable solution.  It's quite ingenuous: nothing but one-to-one wire mapping.  And then you're free to use your CF card reader of choice (there are tons of these, of course) and connect it to an IDE -> SATA adapter.

If the camera's CF host controller is confirmed to operate in IDE mode, this setup should work without ML software, correct?  In other words, if one were to plug this into their camera and start it normally (with stock Canon firmware), one should be able to format the harddrive and use it to store stills and record H.264 video.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Alexander

A quick test would be to connect this setup to a USB memory reader and verify if it is enumerated (recognized) as a removable media on a laptop in a Mac or a PC.

5D3shooter

Hopefully these set ups work and then someone can build it into a battery-grip type of device that will screw onto the bottom of the camera and connect into the CF card slot.  It would be really cool if not only you could plug a SSD/HDD into it, but also 2 batteries for the camera.  So it would be like a battery grip/HDD interface in one.  That would be the ultimate setup 8)  Sounds like a PITA to design though.

atarijedi

ES&S Kabel should just make the right-side CF card (in the photo) into a box of some sort, and put IDE to SATAII circuitry in it, using the ARC772 IC which can support 200MBps, as well as a SATA port. Then instead of using the flat ribbon cable, use a rounded ribbon cable.

If they can't (or won't), then we can just get a CF to SATAII adapter, and skip the extra CF to IDE adapter step. Like that Lycom ST106-2 device.

We should also petition Canon to put a CFast slot in their next camera, lol.

deleted.acct.20132206

Hey guys,

yesterday, i got from Esscable the setup on the picture above for testing purposes.
Big Props to them, they did a really good job and are very interested in further development  8).

So know we can start - but i need your help, too!

Momently I got following things on my desk for the big testing setup:

- 5D Mark III
- Lexar USB 3.0 Cardreader
- Esscable CF Extender female-to-female
- Esscable CF Male to IDE female adapter
- Esscable IDE Male to SATA Converter
- CF Extender from Calexium/ France
- CF male to IDE female adapter
- OWC Mercury Legacy Pro 2.5 IDE/ PATA SSD 60 GB
- Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
- 2x 2.5 HDD Adapter - 2.5 to 3.5 IDE Adapters with power support
- IDE Cable
- CF 1000x Komputerbay 32GB
- SD Card 32 GB Sandisk
- Power Supply

I have the possibility to solder an individual cable. I have naked cf-female ports and 50 pole 0,635 cable. Therefore it is very useful to have a cf-ide mapping.  sb. should know that!?! Until the end of the week i will get an old canon cam with cf, so we can test - and my 5DMIII won´t explode  ;D.

*** First testing setup! CF to SATA

What I first tried is the esscable setup - because they told me they tried it and it works for them.
USB-Card-Reader connecting to my MacBook. Don´t work.
When I get the CF Extender in the cam instead of mac - Nothing happend - no possibility to start the cam - (only in IDE the cam said can´t format the camera, unsupported drive)

*** Second Testing setup with IDE:

Esscable cf- extender to esscable cf- to ide to ssd with ide cable adapter- powersupply from pc.
Camera said after loading about 5-8 seconds - during no lights are blinking - 

No access to card1 - new card insertion or replacement or format with camera.
-> Formatting Impossible - change card!

When I connect the setup over Lexxar card reader OWC (exFat formated) will be connected.

*** The cf-acc plugin don´t save a VRAMx.BMP File! How can i get this to work!

When I push "Read CF details (MAY CAUSE ERR)" the cam is doing sth. because light is blinking every 5 sec. until camera went off.

Good is good, but better carries it!

5D3shooter

Hey Guys,

I just got word back from china, and my guy found those CF adapters, but he wrote me asking:

"OK, I able find one in china.
I want confirm you need.
It's IDE host to CF disk?
CF host to IDE disk?
CF host to SATA disk?
IDE host to SATA disk?
Just tell me you want ,clearly."

Which one do we need guys?

atarijedi

Quote from: kopfsalatmedien on June 11, 2013, 02:28:22 PM
Hey guys,

yesterday, i got from Esscable the setup on the picture above for testing purposes.
Big Props to them, they did a really good job and are very interested in further development  8).

- 5D Mark III
- IDE Cable
- SD Card 32 GB Sandisk
- Power Supply

I have the possibility to solder an individual cable. I have naked cf-female ports and 50 pole 0,635 cable. Therefore it is very useful to have a cf-ide mapping.  sb. should know that!?! Until the end of the week i will get an old canon cam with cf, so we can test - and my 5DMIII won´t explode  ;D.

What I first tried is the esscable setup - because they told me they tried it and it works for them.
When I get the CF Extender in the cam instead of mac - Nothing happend - no possibility to start the cam - (only in IDE the cam said can´t format the camera, unsupported drive)

Esscable cf- extender to esscable cf- to ide to ssd with ide cable adapter- powersupply from pc.

When I connect the setup over Lexxar card reader OWC (exFat formated) will be connected.

When I push "Read CF details (MAY CAUSE ERR)" the cam is doing sth. because light is blinking every 5 sec. until camera went off.

With the IDE hard drive, is it set to Master, Slave or Cable Select? If it is master, try cable select, and vice versa. That is the only thing I can think of going wrong with this option. Maybe try a different IDE drive?

As for your IDE to SATA adapter, which one specifically is it?

Is it this one > http://en.esskabel.de/adapter/datasheet/ada-sata-ii-ide40-ly/12/ ?

atarijedi

Quote from: 5D3shooter on June 11, 2013, 02:47:52 PM
Hey Guys,

I just got word back from china, and my guy found those CF adapters, but he wrote me asking:

I want confirm you need.
CF host to IDE disk?
CF host to SATA disk?
IDE host to SATA disk?

CF host to IDE disk, or CF host to SATA disk.

I would get one of each, if the SATA one doesn't work, than the IDE one would be the fall back device.

albert-e

Quote from: kopfsalatmedien on June 11, 2013, 02:28:22 PM
Hey guys,

- 5D Mark III
- IDE Cable
- SD Card 32 GB Sandisk
- Power Supply

I suggest to testing setup! CF to IDE. Before you connect the drive to the CF Extender to camera:
1. Format the drive to FAT32.
2. insert Cf extender to camera, make sure Cf slot door switch is defeated or cheated to look as though the CF slot is closed.
3. Wait for boot process, wait for ML: Select Debug: Read CF details, NB: Notice of any return bytes if successful. If not, back to the drawing board. Report to ML developer for any software interface patch.

deleted.acct.20132206

Quote from: atarijedi on June 11, 2013, 02:56:10 PM
With the IDE hard drive, is it set to Master, Slave or Cable Select? If it is master, try cable select, and vice versa. That is the only thing I can think of going wrong with this option. Maybe try a different IDE drive?

As for your IDE to SATA adapter, which one specifically is it?

Is it this one > http://en.esskabel.de/adapter/datasheet/ada-sata-ii-ide40-ly/12/ ?

I tried every jumper setup - no access!
The IDE-SATA looks different but i think its the same...

albert-e

Quote from: 5D3shooter on June 11, 2013, 02:47:52 PM
Hey Guys,

I want confirm you need.
CF host to IDE disk?
CF host to SATA disk?
IDE host to SATA disk?

I think it is the IDE host to CF. The CF host to IDE, functions to plug into a IDE system and use the CF(used as boot device) as a drive (IDE emulation). To be sure, tell your buyer your requirements and read the technical description and specification of each before deciding to buy.

g3gg0

the camera is *not* using true IDE mode.
but i hope to be able to hack it so it will only send ATA commands.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

deleted.acct.20132206

Quote from: albert-e on June 11, 2013, 03:08:28 PM
I suggest to testing setup! CF to IDE. Before you connect the drive to the CF Extender to camera:
1. Format the drive to FAT32.
2. insert Cf extender to camera, make sure Cf slot door switch is defeated or cheated to look as though the CF slot is closed.
3. Wait for boot process, wait for ML: Select Debug: Read CF details, NB: Notice of any return bytes if successful. If not, back to the drawing board. Report to ML developer for any software interface patch.

Did what you write. Camera says:

Debug impossible - cam says again - No access to card1 - new card insertion or replacement or format with camera.

deleted.acct.20132206

Quote from: g3gg0 on June 11, 2013, 03:25:19 PM

That would be awesome  - yes you can!  8) Do you know why canon avoid true IDE mode?

deleted.acct.20132206

When I switch off camera and remove cf extender shut down - start it again with only sd card shut down - start again with cf card it graphicaly signals in live view that two cards are there with the 1 and 2 Symbol - But Debugging isn´t possible - after pressing set the graphical live view signal disapear and i can only see the full screen view...

I think there must be the possibility to get an electrical solution by new mapping cf to ide, too. But Software is smarter!

deleted.acct.20132206

Do you know which mode it uses?

g3gg0

this: ;)
Quote from: g3gg0 on June 10, 2013, 03:42:22 PM
this:

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 30, 2013, 02:07:00 PM
i already expected this result.
the last few days i read a lot about CF card specification and reversed the parts of the camera that interact with CF.
i think i have a plan what we would have to patch to make it working.

1. CF is reset
2. CIS structure is read and parsed (needs to be patched)
- RotatingDeviceInfo
- MakerAndVersionTuple
- ConfigurationTuple
- WriteProtectTuple
3. Reconfigures the card for I/O Mapped Operation Mode (needs to be patched)
4. partition table is read and checked for 0x55AA at the end
5. first partition is checked for a supported type (1,4,5,6,7,B,C,E)
6. device is available

which camera model do you use?

can you run this plugin with your disk attached?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5471.msg36699#msg36699
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

driftwood

This is looking pretty darn hopeful. Add a portable rechargeable Lithium-Polymer battery powered 2.5" SSD /drive or a Atamos style drive caddy. You can have this atamos ninja if it will help - rip it apart and experiment. pm me if its of use.
Canon 60D, Canon 5DMK3, Lexar 1000x 128GB CF, Panasonic (shhhh!) GH2s & GH3s. :-)

atarijedi

How do you verify this, did you check to see if Pin 9 is being held low when the camera is turned on?

There are only 2 other modes it could be running in, IO Transfer or Common Memory.

albert-e

Quote from: kopfsalatmedien on June 11, 2013, 04:00:22 PM
Did what you write. Camera says:

Debug impossible - cam says again - No access to card1 - new card insertion or replacement or format with camera.

Hey, that's success. It's communicating. Now if only the CF slot was in TRUE IDE mode in the firmware. But it's a darn good news. It means your interface setup is equipped and ready to go all the way. Good job!

Now we wait for "g3gg0" to do his magic. (1) Enable CF slot to TRUE IDE mode, (2) identify the device as ATA. That's all we want to accomplish,a quick test. Simple request but to get to that it's really not trivial. Back to you guys, "g3gg0". May the force be with you.It's a good day.:-)

deleted.acct.20132206

After a few more test i think 5d killed the fat32 filesystem of the ssd - for a short moment i thought it was recording on ssd!
Because there was no medium error on card1.
Connecting to mac with usb reader it cant see the ssd and wants to initialise the ssd new.
While Deleting and new initialisation with disk recovery following error occured:

Impossible to write on the last block of the device. Something happend!???

g3gg0

Quote from: atarijedi on June 11, 2013, 07:32:39 PM
How do you verify this, did you check to see if Pin 9 is being held low when the camera is turned on?

There are only 2 other modes it could be running in, IO Transfer or Common Memory.
no, i reverse engineered the software.

g3gg0

Quote from: kopfsalatmedien on June 11, 2013, 09:00:18 PM
Impossible to write on the last block of the device. Something happend!???

thats with the patch, right?

deleted.acct.20132206

you mean cf_acc - if so yes. What does it mean?

deleted.acct.20132206

Filesystem is working again - I tried a MBR Partition instead of a GUID Partition Table but with no access. After configuring the parallel record option in canon firmware and restart the camera - there was no card1 error occured., When i hit record the cam was short peeping and something was on display i couldnt read (maybe a failure message in blue writing) because it was very fast upnaway..., Nothing get recorded...

atarijedi

Quote from: g3gg0 on June 11, 2013, 09:54:22 PM
no, i reverse engineered the software.

Could you be more specific? Maybe more people can help?

I've been looking through the ML source code and I can't find anything for setting CF modes.

Which got me to realize that the CF subsystem has to set the card mode prior to the ML firmware even being read.

So this means that what would happen is ML would be read, the CF card would need to be "unmounted", the CF mode would need to be changed (if that is even possible in software), and then then CF card would need to be remounted, or something along those lines. Roughly speaking.