CF-to-SATA hardware interface for RAW recording (fork)

Started by Grunf, May 17, 2013, 03:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hirethestache

Quote from: hirethestache on May 22, 2013, 06:32:28 AM
Im sure it's been discussed, but would a CF>SD adapter card, with an SD-USB adapter be an option? Im not sure the transfer speed, but I know I've seen SD-to-USB carts out there. The specific setup I've seen before was SD port>SD-USB>Thumbdrive. It was being used with a PDA, but regardless, I've seen it.

Ok, so this is similar to the product I mentioned in the above quote:
http://www.singaporecorporategifts.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=137&products_id=1501&osCsid=d67cf03a5260367d452ca02d3d08ac6e

There are no specs listed in terms of speed, but I have sent an inquiry to the manufacturer--hopefully I get a reply. Would something like this be a viable option?
@HireTheStache
www.HireTheStache.com
C100, 5D3, 5D2, 6D

scrax

Quote from: hirethestache on May 23, 2013, 06:01:03 AM
Ok, so this is similar to the product I mentioned in the above quote:
http://www.singaporecorporategifts.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=137&products_id=1501&osCsid=d67cf03a5260367d452ca02d3d08ac6e

There are no specs listed in terms of speed, but I have sent an inquiry to the manufacturer--hopefully I get a reply. Would something like this be a viable option?

CF is the faster, SD will slow down transfer and usb will slow down it more, so better a big CF
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Samuel H

Hi

It seems lots of people thought the same, after seeing how awesome the 5D3+RAW is and how expensive big and fast CF cards are.

I've already got some parts at home, I'll be playing with my soldering iron this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes (I won't say much, my plan, as always, is to get rich!  ;D ).

And I also wrote to ESSkabel and a couple of other firms, saying the market would be in the thousands or maybe tens of thousands, and that the margins could be huge (since the only alternative are the ultra-expensive CF cards) and didn't manage to impress any of them. I hope I'll have better luck if I achieve proof-of-concept.

For those trying this: the cheapest thing you can brick is, probably, a card reader. I only plan to put the thing inside a camera if I get it working there first.

Grunf

Quote from: Samuel H on May 23, 2013, 10:07:46 AM
For those trying this: the cheapest thing you can brick is, probably, a card reader. I only plan to put the thing inside a camera if I get it working there first.

Risk of bricking will be fairly low as long as you get CF <-> PATA leads right. You could start by trying to write to PATA HDD from old CF camera, using PIO mode (= no active SATA/PATA converter in-between). That would be quite safe ;)

Good luck!

savale

a pata to compact flash adapter is not that hard to make, but you need a quite fast 7200rpm drive with some good write cache to get enough write speed... A really large one is a nice to have too since a harddisk is about twice times slower when it's almost full compared to when it's empty, but about 70 to 60MB/s write speed is feasible I think.

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

ptunstall

Has anyone found the 5D3 service manual?  I found this Forum post: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1216590 and there is a parts manual but no one has posted the 5d3 service manual there.  Was hoping someone here was more successful.

Yomommassis

EOS 5D MkIII (ML alpha 3)| EOS 5D MkII (ML v2.3) | EOS 7D (ML alpha 2) | EOS T2i (ML v2.3)
f/2.8 70-200MM L USM | f/1.4 50mm USM | f/1.4 35mm L USM | T/1.5 24mm
Zoom H4n | Rode NTG2

Redrocks

Thinking out loud:

Would it be possible to butcher two cards and harvest the connectors to construct a female to female cf extender? One end goes in the camera, the other in something like this:

http://www.fancycost.com/cf-to-sata-converter-adapter-green-p-54074.html#.UZ-immhIFrQ

Even if you had to power the sata component with another source?

hirethestache

Quote from: eatstoomuchjam on May 24, 2013, 07:21:56 PM
Yeah, but it's not all that fast.
http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/cfcard-64-gb-with-microsdhc-raid-0_topic44099.html

Newer/fast cards are likely doing something similar internally anyway.

But but but...it says EXTREMELY FAST on the card!
@HireTheStache
www.HireTheStache.com
C100, 5D3, 5D2, 6D

hirethestache

Ok, call me stupid (and you probably will) as I am NOT by any means someone who has a background in engineering, but would it be at all possible to take the guts of a fast CF with low storage, and combine them with the storage of a higher end CF with slow w/r capabilities?
@HireTheStache
www.HireTheStache.com
C100, 5D3, 5D2, 6D

ptunstall

No, the controller as well as the memory chips are both responsible for the speed of a particular card.

Samuel H

Quote from: Redrocks on May 24, 2013, 07:33:58 PM
Thinking out loud:

Would it be possible to butcher two cards and harvest the connectors to construct a female to female cf extender? One end goes in the camera, the other in something like this:

http://www.fancycost.com/cf-to-sata-converter-adapter-green-p-54074.html#.UZ-immhIFrQ

Even if you had to power the sata component with another source?

That one goes the wrong way: it shows a CF card to a SATA controller. But apart from that, the part of building a CF extender is, you're right, the first step. Not anywhere near as simple as it sounds: these damn connectors are SMALL! My soldering iron doesn't have a chance here, I think. I'm trying something else.

pascalc

Hi all,
I just ordered all that stuff.

I'm going to make the small board to connect the CF extension to the ide port.
If it works, my idea is to build an enclosure, with my 3D printer, that replace the removed door, protect the ribbon that have to point down and maintain safely the boards and DD under the grip. The aim being to keep it as run an gun as possible.
I have a question about alimentation, how to use the 7,5v from the grip LPE6 to power up the 5v recording system ?

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

ptunstall

Quote from: pascalc on May 26, 2013, 02:14:23 PM
Hi all,
I just ordered all that stuff.

I'm going to make the small board to connect the CF extension to the ide port.
If it works, my idea is to build an enclosure, with my 3D printer, that replace the removed door, protect the ribbon that have to point down and maintain safely the boards and DD under the grip. The aim being to keep it as run an gun as possible.
I have a question about alimentation, how to use the 7,5v from the grip LPE6 to power up the 5v recording system ?

If you don't mind me asking, which CF extender are you using?

ptunstall

Much appreciated!  I was looking for a non-discontinued CF ribbon cable!

KMikhail

Hello team,

What about CF to USB3 conversion, instead of CF to SATA? Portable drives with USB3 have their own power out put, USB3 is fast enough (theoretically), and there are fully portable packages available.

I know, it might work in a wrong direction, but... something like this:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/5gbps-usb-3-0-2-0-to-hard-dirve-hard-disk-drive-sata-ide-adapter/230514238.html?listingId=213389903

or this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/19793234?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Cheers

pascalc

Inside the USB portable package, the discs are SATA ones so this would ad a unneeded conversion : IDE -> USB -> SATA instead of IDE -> SATA. I don't know if it slows down the data transfer but it surely consume more power.

KMikhail

Quote from: pascalc on May 27, 2013, 10:28:56 AM
Inside the USB portable package, the discs are SATA ones so this would ad a unneeded conversion : IDE -> USB -> SATA instead of IDE -> SATA. I don't know if it slows down the data transfer but it surely consume more power.
True that. But I consider workable portability (something like seagate wireless plus with built in rechargeable battery) as a much, much appreciated feature. I am not a pro with a fully grown rig, I need something easy to carry and easy to use. Those adapters shouldn't consume too much, I think, and will be powered up by a usb port. If it will ever work, of course.

ptunstall

Building a small power supply with a battery would be a breeze for this project. I wouldn't worry about adapting to a USB3 HDD enclosure due to portability with power.

pascalc

The parts will be here tomorrow... Let see if it works...
Portability is not a big problem, I'm going to design an enclosure, like a grip, to put all that stuff together under the camera. I'll share the 3D model.

3pointedit

Will you be 3D printing the grip enclosure? If so thats pretty cool.
550D on ML-roids