CF-to-SATA hardware interface for RAW recording (fork)

Started by Grunf, May 17, 2013, 03:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jose_ugs

Quote from: Rikoshet on February 26, 2015, 12:52:50 AM
Going FPGA way may be time consuming so the cost may go high. The time is the key factor in this era, cams that uses CF become less, CFast will dominate, so the need for this adapter may disappear...

Well, 5DM3 and friends are not getting a CFast anyways :D so maybe you should go for the FPGA if you have the know-how, time, etc...

Rikoshet

g3gg0, I've PM-ed you. did you receive the message?

Question to moderators: why my post must be approved by a moderator? This does not happen before...Thank you!
5d mk3, 5d mk2, 7d, 550d, gh4

chmee

its not the point about 90-95mb/sec (this is ok, cause i can record scenes without formating/copying files all the day. last months i recorded a acoustic guitarist, i decided to NOT use mlv/raw because of the repeating longer recordings, every track needs about 10 trials), i assume you reached the portlimit of the 5dIII - but if its not recognized by a 5DIII, its not working. so, finally no step further.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Rikoshet

Ok, can't find anyone capable to program fPGA so I'll close my project!
5d mk3, 5d mk2, 7d, 550d, gh4

anDyIII

5D Mark III
www.facebook.com/groups/magiclanternitalia/
www.andreacasanova.eu

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

arrinkiiii

Good stuff!!! Wend hit the street 500 is a little bit expensive... or not.   

bayard1965

I asked Clifton Stommel about this possibility.

Hi,
I just wanted to know if this system could work with a 5Dmark3 (using MagicLantern), i mean interfacing with normal CF cards, not only with CFast 2.0 cards.
Regards,

Answer:
We are looking into that, as well as XQD and SD. I think it's safe to say that the response this campaign is getting has proven that there is an interest in being able to record straight to SSD on any camera. Once the campaign closes, we'll be allocating resources to various avenues depending on which has the most room for growth and the most public interest (and obviously, getting the CFast boxes out the door and to their backers is #1 priority).

kitor

The joke is that CFast is just smaller from-factor SATA disk with different connector, so this guy is trying to sell adapter that has two connectors, cables and maybe a few elements for voltage stabilization for $500. And of course such adapters exists for less than 100 USD (still overprinced for me). That's why it works, and why situation is completely different between SATA/ATA <> CF.

Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

anDyIII

5D Mark III
www.andreacasanova.eu

anDyIII

By the way... The CFast adapter with light-blue cable that the guy used for his project looks like this one ( http://www.microsatacables.com/cfast-breakout-cable ) without the power cable.
It looks like he bridged a few pins inside the adapter ore something similar, so that the camera can recognize it as a real CFast and send the data via sata cable.
As kitor said, the project is not something extraordinary, just a box to power the SSDs.
5D Mark III
www.andreacasanova.eu

DeafEyeJedi

Definitely following this thread... Keep it up @anDyIII!

rsousa

There is a kick starter for CFast to dual SSD here.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/648471422/rig-friendly-c-box-system-use-any-ssd-on-your-cfas

They did it and (mass) production should start soon!
Hopefully they will do a CF to dual SSD next!!!!

anDyIII

We already know what project, and I'm working with that guy together with another company on the CF version.
I'm planning to do a modular version, so C-Box and CFast or CF converter to connect via SATA cable.
5D Mark III
www.andreacasanova.eu

DeafEyeJedi

Nice progress so far everyone on board... [emoji108]

tigwd

Sorry for adding one more necropost to this topic but after skimming through it I'm wondering: is anyone actively working on this still?

A few random thoughts:
  • Even if writes remain limited to 167MB/s, the read speeds would be handy if downloading to fast volumes.
  • A Komputerbay 256GB 1066X card is the same price as a [3-5x faster] 512GB Samsung 850 Pro.
  • Since CF and SSD both use NAND flash and wear leveling, would endurance be similar?
  • I'd guess CF cards consume under half a watt of power. A Samsung 850 would be around 2.5w.
One application I'd have for this is events I currently record to standard 1080p24 AVC clips, typically totaling 200GB of footage. Now that I'm comfortable and experienced shooting raw, have adequate workstations to handle the post production, and like to make things difficult, I've been incorporating more and more raw video. Shooting it all raw would require 16+ 256GB cards (or 8+ cards and download/reuse throughout the event, but at times shooting might be disrupted by waiting for 150MB/s downloads—and I fear a mistake in the field might lead to lost data).

Using an external battery pack to power each camera (DR-E6) and SSD (USB to SATA power adapter) would provide a fairly simple all-day shooting solution, once you can connect the card slot and SSD. My PayPal account and I are ready for anyone who can make that connection happen.

Walter Schulz

May I ask why you consider cFAST-to-SATA as a solution? ML supported cams don't have any of these interfaces ...

bbhl

It is not CFAST to SATA, but CF to CFAST (U-Reach CFast to CF adapter), then cable CFAST to SATA. CFAST, as far as I understand is the SATA in a compact box.
The "U-Reach CFast to CF adapter" actually is the CF to SATA (CFAST) = matching the subj: "CF-to-SATA hardware interface..."

bbhl

Feedback from UREACH... :(

It is not bi-directional.

We have two kinds of designs to support Cfast copy.
One of them is our CF duplicator.
http://www.ureach-inc.com/product/goods_detail.php?goods_id=71
As you see, the sockets on the machine is changeable.
To support Cfast copy, just change the socket to Cfast will be OK.

This machine can support up to 3.9GB/min read/write speed.

anDyIII

I worked with U-Reach EU for a few weeks trying to build what we need, but from tests it came out that the adapter only works in True IDE mode with a maximum speed of 45 MB/s.
I tried to develop something together with them, but they said they are not able such kind of converter, so now I'm trying to create on my own with an italian startup.
A full aluminium CFast to SSD converter is on its way, too.
Stay tuned.

New Ideas and considerations are welcome  ;)
5D Mark III
www.andreacasanova.eu