CF-to-SATA hardware interface for RAW recording (fork)

Started by Grunf, May 17, 2013, 03:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikoshet

Hi guys! Why nobody update this thread? Any progress?
5d mk3, 5d mk2, 7d, 550d, gh4

dubzeebass

Quote from: Rikoshet on December 14, 2014, 01:33:38 AM
Hi guys! Why nobody update this thread? Any progress?

With the limited due respect for such a question: what do you think?

Rikoshet

Off topic on:
QuoteWith the limited due respect for such a question: what do you think?
I see no respect at all! AND you don't answer! Are you here to laugh at people? I hope not!
Do you really think I was waiting for this kind of answer? You really want to know what I'm thinking? I'm thinking you are impolite on a forum!
Have a nice day!!!
Off topic: off.

dubzeebass

igor-lm

Hi everyone.!
I am also very interested in such adapter and I started a VOTE in separate topic. Please share your opinion as I expected more replies. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14350.0

igor-lm

Found some SATA to PATA chips and already send inquiry about practical speed of them. Have a look:

1. Marvel 88SA8040/88SA8052

2. ACARD ARC-772

3. JMicron JMH330/JMH330S

4. Genesys Logic GL831A

They are all one chip solution. Soon I will get replies from manufactures and compile it in a comparison chart.

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

SDX

Your collection of PATA -> SATA chips is nice.
But, you still need active conversion from the non-True-IDE CF to True-IDE mode.

Does anybody, by any chance, know which CF-mode the host controller uses? That seems like the fundamental challenge people fail at figuring out here.

extremelypoorfilmaker

Guys, you will never cease to amaze me. I feel like i am assisting at history of filmmaking while it's being written

albert-e

"Your collection of PATA -> SATA chips is nice.
But, you still need active conversion from the non-True-IDE CF to True-IDE mode.

Does anybody, by any chance, know which CF-mode the host controller uses? That seems like the fundamental challenge people fail at figuring out here."

True-IDE mode. And after all that, you still need help from the ML developer for some firmware changes.

SDX

I'm trying to figure out where exactly the challenge is. Does anybody know more exactly where it fails. True-IDE mode shouldn't be a problem to interface. I suppose the host controller doesn't stick exactly to the CF specs then? Correct?

igor-lm

Support of Marvell chip distributor said that slave or host revisions are existing. (So right version should be used in application)
The same corresponds to other chip makers but some of them are bi directional.

I tried to understand about True IDE mode in CF specification and found only 3.0 publicly available. (To early to pay 100$ for Revision 6.0)
If some one can help to understand it I will save a lot of time.

Soon I will define the best chip and order development board (demo board) to start testing.

Rikoshet

Hi Guys!
We have done first step, the working prototype:
http://imgur.com/rF2MB3i
Yes, ridiculous speed on usb2.0 CF card reader and normal hdd, but be patient! As you we too are anxious to see it working on usb3.0 and ssd!  :D

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Kharak

once you go raw you never go back

Rikoshet

Well, my friend, who is building the prototype, is in Japan, I'm in Italy. He does not have an USB3.0 card reader and ssd. Tomorrow he will ship the unit to me and I'll make all testing and after will try it with my 5dmk3. I think next weekend I'll have some news.

Question to moderators: why my post must be approved by a moderator? This does not happen before...Thank you!

beanz

extremelypoorfilmaker

Grande riko!!!! Cosa dobbiamo fare per fare avere all'amico giapponese USB3.0 card reader and ssd? Credo che una rapida colletta fra tutti noi, felici utilizzatori di magic lantern riuscirebbe nell'intento no?

Great news riko! what shall we do to get our japanese friend the USB3.0 card reader and ssd? I believe a quick donation between all the Magic Lanter user will suffice! :)

Rikoshet

Non e' necessario!  :) Ha spedito oggi l'unita a me.  ;) Quando arriva faccio subito i test di velocita'!  ;D

It's not necessary!  :) He shipped the unit to me.  ;) Once here will do speed test!  ;D

beauchampy

Kharak

once you go raw you never go back

anDyIII

Caro Rikoshet, sono italiano pure io.  :)
Perito elettronico e amministratore del gruppo Magic Lantern Italia su facebook, se hai bisogno di una mano o se vuoi spiegare il progetto anche agli italiani iscriviti pure al gruppo.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/magiclanternitalia/

I'm the admin of the Magic Lantern Italia user group on facebook. If you are interested in sharing your project with italian users join the group.
5D Mark III
www.facebook.com/groups/magiclanternitalia/
www.andreacasanova.eu

Rikoshet

Ciao Casanova!
Thanks, I've joined the group! :)

So, for now, with Marvell chip, we have about 85-90MB/s write speed, pretty disappointing... The main problem is the adapter is not seen by the cam, like it happened to other guys on this thread. The solution is to go FPGA way to emulate a CF or software way...for now I'm waiting an answer from g3gg0 for 2 days. I'm sure he have personal life so ...patience.

Going FPGA way may be time consuming so the cost may go high. The time is the key factor in this era, cams that uses CF become less, CFast will dominate, so the need for this adapter may disappear...

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!