Intervalometer and 600D problem

Started by tstallan, May 20, 2013, 12:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tstallan

Hi All,

I discovered and downloaded Magic Lantern (V2.3) yesterday and decided to experiment with the Timelapse using the Intervalometer last night to capture the transaction from day to night and the stars.

I had set my camera to AV mode, 400 ISO, manual white balance and set ML Intervalometer to take a picture once every 20 seconds.

All seemed to go well until I took a look at the last images around midnight. The shutter speed was 8 seconds. I know from experience that in AV mode, at that time of night, the shutter speed should have got to around 30 seconds. When I looked at the other "night" images the majority were 8 seconds, a few were 6 seconds an one was 15 seconds.

I tried manually releasing the shutter and sure enough the shutter speed was 30 seconds as it should have been.

I started the ML intervalometer again and shutter speed was 8 seconds. Playing around with the interval made no difference.

I tried again this morning, in a dark closet, and again manually the shutter speed was 30 seconds. With ML Intervalometer the initial shutter speed was 15 seconds and a second shot was 30 seconds.

Why would this happen. Is there another setting that is interfering. Surely the shutter speed when using the Intervalometer should be the same as when I release the shutter manually.

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice given

Tony

a1ex

Canon metering does not work well in complete darkness. Try bulb ramping. The one from nightly should be a lot smoother.

tstallan

Hi Alex,

I have done this many times with my external intervalometer with no problems whatsoever. AV Priority mode works just fine.

Also when I press the shutter release manually the shutter speed is always as expected.

This problem only happened when I used the ML Intervalometer and if there is a problem with my ML setup I would rather resolve that before moving onto something else.

Regards

Tony

tstallan

Hi Alex,

I just looked at your bulb ramping examples and they look fantastic. Obviously that does seem to be the way to go.

It is just a little concerning that my tests with the intervalometer seem to fail at the first hurdle.

Regards

Tony