[IMPOSSIBLE/PATENTED] RAW to R3D

Started by AnotherDave, May 22, 2013, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherDave

Hi,
I know you're all hoping that I totally just found an awesome way of converting EOS Raw to Red R3D files... it would be cool wouldn't it?

I didn't.  I'm sorry.

But since we are talking about hacking here... and R3D files are much much much more widely compatible with NLEs... would it be possible?

fauxtographer

How is an image sequence not already widely compatible with editors? There are 7 billion tutorials popping up showing you how to make ProRes clips with your image sequences, that format is much more utilitarian.
6D | 24-105 f/4 | 70-200 f/4 | 28 - 35 - 50 - 50 - 135 |

Kabuto1138

Yeah, but you can pretty much start editing right away with R3D files.  I can play 4k clips real in time on Premiere.    This actually a good idea.  No clue if its possible though.

fauxtographer

Technically there is no speed difference, because you still need to convert the .RAW to .DNG. Take that DNG and make your .xml and export to TIFF or JPEG... Click the first file, check off image sequence, boom. Edit in real-time all the live long day.

In order to create a proprietary .R3D file... you need to have a RED camera. There is no way you can create a .R3D file in camera. Mainly because there is absolutely no way even a computer can actually do this. Because it is RAW sensor data.
6D | 24-105 f/4 | 70-200 f/4 | 28 - 35 - 50 - 50 - 135 |

_Ombra_

Technically is not impossible. According to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REDCODE if you have access to the SDK there should be enough info on the closed source file format to create a converter. There is even some partially reversed engineered info on some of the files that are part of R3D files.

Best bet will be CinemaDNG i think, if adobe supports it properly via Premiere CC that is. The Importer from adobe labs (which is not available anymore) used to kinda work but only did 8bit which kills the RAW purpose anyway.

Hopefully we will have full CinemaDNG support and when CC is releases and somebody will go the extra mile to convert RAW to CinemaDNG.