600D H264 vs RAW

Started by N/A, May 16, 2013, 03:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N/A

H264 vs Raw
1280x400 cropped to 720 for the Raw footage vs standard 720p with 24 fps override.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

tihon

the second clip is RAW DNG?  cool and crisp! Can you upload one dng file? Thanks

Did you upscale height to 664px?
Cinema, cinema, cinema

N/A

Yup, almost TOO crisp lol.

1280x400, didn't have to upscale it since I shot it in 640x480, only had to add the letterbox.

Rokinon 35 cine lens, btw.

tihon

This video was shot in 640x480? Wow, 600d makes more blurry video in standard h.264 720p i think.

Interesting to see 1280 x 400 (upsc to 644)
Cinema, cinema, cinema

N/A

Not sure how it works but shooting the raw mode in 720 vs 480 crops the dng's different, when I shoot raw in 720p mode with the resolution set to 1280x400 (the most this camera can handle continuously right now), I have to stretch it to 1280x720. But when shooting in 480 mode with raw resolution at 1280x400, no stretching is required, so the letterbox is needed to make the video 1280x720.

tihon

thansk!

RAW mode 720 vs 480 crops.

i think 720 should have better quality than 480? Or the quality is the same?
Cinema, cinema, cinema

N/A

Looks the same but I could be wrong, you'd have to ask one of the coders if it makes a difference.

robert_b

all I can say is that there is a night and day difference between the two

this is what I got on my 600d, I didn't change the global draw to off or other settings

1%

Yea, FYI. 720P mode and 1080P and 10x/5x all have different raw image sizes. In 720P scaling is performed by canon so easier recording but slightly worse image.

N/A

I'm actually pretty fond of shooting 1280x400 in 640x480 mode. Only one corrupt frame and a nice CinemaScope look to boot.

1%

Does the 434 res work?

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on May 17, 2013, 12:33:00 AM
Does the 434 res work?

Not how it should. It looks cropped and zoomed to me. Also 5x zoom (not magic zoom) looks like a B&W raw preview. 10x looks ok.

I also tried a few resolutions and I seem to be getting a lot of black dots on every frame.

Not tried HDR

Liking the new raw enabler in the menu. Much more intuitive :)

UPDATE: The black dots are ISO related. I was pushing it to test low light at ISO2500. Far fewer at 1250 and almost non below that.

UPDATE #2: I didn't realise the 5x zoom raw preview was a feature so discount my comment.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

N/A

434, is that in the newest build?

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

N/A

Cool, got it. The new raw_rec module is nice, loving the playback function as well. Is there any way to stop it once it starts though?

New video, btw.

Andy600

I stopped it by pressing the half pressing the shutter button

N/A

Oh, wow. I literally pressed every single button except for the half-shutter. Thanks!

Looks like the footage is uprezzing quite nicely as well, starts to fall apart at 2.5k