How to record: -- 30/24/25 fps RAW VIDEO ON 5D3 & others --

Started by RenatoPhoto, May 16, 2013, 03:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Javenu

Using 2 recent builds (June 22nd and June 25th) raw2dng nor RAWMagic convert the RAW file: "This ain't a lv_rec RAW file" and "Could not parse framerate" However I can playback the RAW on the camera, so its recording properly.

I am shooting 1080p @ 24 on a Lexar 1000x 32Gb card
Both raw2dng and rawmagic are the latest versions

Is there a build that converts properly?

Thanks
-------------
raw2dng converter GUI for OsX
Beta ver.0.13

M25-1333 File Supported
Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file

Generating ProResHQ 4444 with FPS:
*.dng: No such file or directory
ffmpeg version 1.2.1-tessus Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the FFmpeg developers
  built on May  9 2013 21:58:14 with llvm-gcc 4.2.1 (LLVM build 2336.1.00)
  configuration: --prefix=/Users/tessus/data/ext/ffmpeg/sw --as=yasm --extra-version=tessus --disable-shared --enable-static --disable-ffplay --enable-gpl --enable-pthreads --enable-postproc --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-libspeex --enable-bzlib --enable-zlib --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libxavs --enable-version3 --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvpx --enable-libgsm --enable-libopus --enable-fontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libass --enable-filters --enable-runtime-cpudetect
  libavutil      52. 18.100 / 52. 18.100
  libavcodec     54. 92.100 / 54. 92.100
  libavformat    54. 63.104 / 54. 63.104
  libavdevice    54.  3.103 / 54.  3.103
  libavfilter     3. 42.103 /  3. 42.103
  libswscale      2.  2.100 /  2.  2.100
  libswresample   0. 17.102 /  0. 17.102
  libpostproc    52.  2.100 / 52.  2.100
[image2pipe demuxer @ 0x10201ea00] Could not parse framerate: .
pipe:0: Invalid argument
Done

legreve

For some time I thought I had gotten a couple of bad Komputebay cards, but I sat around fiddling with the settings.

Now... I'm only writing this, because even though I thought I had understood what settings were best to use, I apparently didn't and I kinda only found out how it worked by chance.

So, start off by going to your Canon settings.

Go to the yellow wrench symbol, first section.

There you choose "Record func+card/folder sel."

Then choose "Record func."

Choose "Standard"

Then select "Record/play"

Choose "1"

Now go back to the red camera symbol first section

Select "Image quality"

For "Raw" choose SRAW (you can also choose the line symbol to the left... but I don't see a bandwidth increase.)

For "JPEG" choose the line symbol furthest to the left.

The reason I wasn't getting enough bandwidth out of my cards was because I had not chosen to record "standard"... I had both cards set to S3.

With this selection I'm getting a steady 94mb/s with both my cards, enabling me to shoot 1920:1080 contiously without dropping frames. I even have a steady 7% idling at the same time. (No global draw on...)

With global draw on in liveview, including small waveform, focus peak and crop marks, I'm getting continous 1920:1080 after 14 secs with no dropped frames. 86mb/s

Before you behead me for stupidity... please understand that I had misunderstood the proper settings for doing raw, and I have a suspicion that other people have as well since I'm seeing reports of people not getitng proper bandwidth from their cards.

So if you can't seem to get that full HD working, check your settings against the above and try again.

This test was carried out with the june 28th build, cards used were two 64gb Komputerbay 1000x CF cards formatted with Disk Utility to exFat and a 16gb Sandisk Class 10 SD card in the sd bay. (the latter containing ML)

FOR POST WORKFLOW on MAC.....

The latest RawMagic works like a charm in my opinion. Dropped my raw files into it and got out the DNGs.

If you download DaVinci Resolve Lite 9 from Black Magic website, it will see and edit those DNGs without a problem, allowing you to do pregrade before exporting the files to what ever format you wish (that is not so heavy in file size.)

From what I understand this is not too far from the workflow of the BMC?

Anyways... if you can deal with some transcoding time, then the workflow isn't too hard anymore in my opinion.
A test clip I made (19 seconds short), took around twice that to spit out to ProResHQ after doing some simple curves.

Also, you can download the Ginger HDR plugin for both Premiere and AE and that will allow you to work NATIVELY on the Canon raw files. Be warned though... they are tough to crunch through.

So a big huge thanks... again... to the ML team. The 5D really is fun now :)

AndyPost

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on May 20, 2013, 02:52:07 AM
It appears that you have not loaded the new experimental RAW video software:
Look here for 5D3 latest update:

Where to get Compiled Nightly Builds?
HERE: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5413.0

No joy here...
Have had luck getting ml-5D3-113.fir to work but have no M Tab or raw functionality that I've found. 
Have tried what I THINK is the most recent nightly build "magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Jul15 but I'm not certain it even applies to the MKIII is it's not in the ensuing .60D.550D etc.  (it does edit the name of the firmware, but the menus are not available.)
Any idea where to find a build that will provide raw recording on a 5D MKIII?

GR Productions

Quote from: AndyPost on July 16, 2013, 07:31:47 PM
No joy here...
Have had luck getting ml-5D3-113.fir to work but have no M Tab or raw functionality that I've found. 
Have tried what I THINK is the most recent nightly build "magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Jul15 but I'm not certain it even applies to the MKIII is it's not in the ensuing .60D.550D etc.  (it does edit the name of the firmware, but the menus are not available.)
Any idea where to find a build that will provide raw recording on a 5D MKIII?
i can confirm (there is no raw video ability)  since a recent July 19th build, nice menu though

i saved older builds, i love the 10x zoom

AndyPost

Quote from: GR Productions on July 22, 2013, 06:58:03 PM
i can confirm (there is no raw video ability)  since a recent July 19th build, nice menu though

i saved older builds, i love the 10x zoom

So there is no Raw even on the 5D MK2?

At this point I can't get anything after Alpha 3 to even install on my MkIII.  All appears to go well, I get the "firmware Ver.:1.1.3-ml-v2.3.NEXT" and even get the smiley face below the EnableBootDisk.  But it's just taunting me, because ML is nowhere to be seen.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

tut_farangi

I just came across this news --> http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/16/toshiba-exceria-pro-sd-cards/

new sd card from toshiba using uhs ii standard...and can write 240MB/s

do you think its possible to replace the SD Card slot in the 5D mk III with a UHS II compatible one and use this new Toshiba card for full sensor full res raw recording ?

xRun

Quote from: tut_farangi on July 24, 2013, 10:08:18 PM
possible to replace the SD Card slot in the 5D mk III with a UHS II compatible one and use this new Toshiba card for full sensor full res raw recording ?
That'd truly be a godsend for timelapsers, but I'm thinking the framerate for full res (or 4K) raw would be rather low compared to full motion 24/25/30 fps. The bitrate for that would be filling up a large card in a couple of minutes too.
I'd be happy with 0,5fps recording at 4K resolution without wearing out the shutter, and at a low timelapse framerate it would probably be around 10MB/sec. Now if I could only get long shutters in video, cause 1/30 sec shutter-openings is not very well suited for nighttime timelapse video which I'm focusing on these days.

rajder

Hi lads,

I bought Transcend CF 32GB, 1000x which should have max speed 160MB/s read and 120MB/s write. I tested the card after it wasn't able to record even second of RAW video @ full HD resolution. I got the speed of 34MB/s read and 28MB/s for write on blackmagic speed test. Is that card china fake or is there anything with settings of raw recording..? On smaller resolution is films a few seconds only. Should I return it straight away how to find out or do anything with the card?? Thanks for any reply!

jaybirch

Are you sure you had the CF card selected.. and not the SD card?

rajder

absolutelly, it was in card reader for speed test and CF slot for recording in mk3, actually the SD card can record couple of second, the CF none..

Toffifee

legreve

Try reading my reply #26..... it all can depend on your Canon menu setup or that one card you are using.

You need to prevent the camera from using both cards for writing... if both cards are enabled for writing the slowest card SLOT will become the lowest denominator, ie. the SD slot will dictate the writing speed which is slower than the CF slot.

Also, some 1000x speed cards aren't really as fast as they say they are. Even the Komp bay 64gb 1000x cards will max out around 100mb/s if you got a really good batch. My best Komp Bay cards are steady around 95mb/s with Global Draw off.

So maybe you got unlucky with the card... and otherwise, tripple check the Canon menu settings, which by the way you might have to set again and again when you take out cards / switch battery.

wallpaperviking

Hi, I am brand spankin new here so please be gentle if this is a really dumb question :)  So I have been following the Canon Raw development and like everyone else here I am sure, think it is exciting times indeed!  Now with the price drop of the MIcro 4/3's BMCC, it makes it both confusing and exciting times ahead...

So, as pointed out, this is a potentially very stupid newbie question but here goes anyway....

Does the new Canon Firmware that enables you to record to an external recorder have any place with the Magic Lantern Raw developments with the 5DIII?  There seems to be so much talk about recording with a fast enough CF card for shooting RAW, does there exist or is it at all likely in the future to exist, a possibility to record RAW on the 5DIII onto one of these external recorders? 

Ok, thanks so much, look forward to hearing any thoughts or responses.

e-man

Quote from: taltman on June 26, 2013, 01:04:05 AM
"17. If you want to record audio (wav file to SD card) scroll to Sound and select Separate WAV, or sync beep, or OFF"

I am using June 22 build and I have NO audio option in the RAW video menu. And yes I do have audio set to auto or manual in the Canon menu. I have camera in manual mode.

Same problem for me, no options to record sound while shooting raw. Any ideas why? I am using now one of the latest builds by laurenco, but i have never seen that opertunity in audio controls. HELP
Canon 5d III with Sandisk SD and computerbay 1000x CF
Lens - MIR-10A, MC zenitar 50mm f1.7, Helios 44-2, soligor 35mm f2.8

Stedda

Sound is disabled and will not be back until the new mlv file format is completed.

This has been asked and answered over 100 times...
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

e-man

Quote from: Stedda on August 16, 2013, 03:41:34 PM
Sound is disabled and will not be back until the new mlv file format is completed.

This has been asked and answered over 100 times...

Thanks for quick answer, sorry did not find that.
What is the latest build with sound enabled?
And maybe you know why it is disabled.

Thanks
Canon 5d III with Sandisk SD and computerbay 1000x CF
Lens - MIR-10A, MC zenitar 50mm f1.7, Helios 44-2, soligor 35mm f2.8

Stedda

There are currently no latest builds with sound enabled and the reason is because it is out of sync.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

mmatocq

Hello everybody.

I need help. Im using the ML in my 5D MIII.

Everything is working perfectly except that I can not open the last clip of each CF card.

When the camera shows me that there is no more space available it stops reccording, and this clip is not saved properly because later I can not open it.

It is, for example, a 2GB RAW clip but I can convert it in DNG files. It says that the file is empty.

Can someone help me to recover this files? I need to fix these clips!

Im using 16GB CF Card.
Thankssss
Modify message

Director

Hlooo everyone,

I have some confuse about raw softwaer for canon 5d mark iii
Ca i get the lets one, and how can I get cinema image by Raw video magic lantern

Can you advice me pls.

Thanks

LucaBrasi

I have been testing and following the raw development since start, and must say, about time for a thorough easy updated summary for all newbies, thanks RenatoPhoto!

For European countries 25fps is standard. With raw_rec enabled there is a possibility of 34fps with fps override on 2.35:1 Cinescope(5DIII+Lexar 1000x). Which gives a slight overcrank of a few percentage when interpreted to 25fps, nice!

Your point "14. Digital dolly" I think could be removed, sins you are talking explicitly of full frame recording.

Also, I think this topic should be locked for comments for obvious reasons.

LB

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Shutterlab Creative on September 05, 2013, 11:09:00 PM
does anyone know if there is a forum for getting audio with raw recording specifically? I have all of my settings set in both the Canon menu and the magic lantern menu as far as I'm aware. I am NOT able to get any sound recording while using raw.please direct me to the best forum for these questions. I am using 5d iii with 9.21.13 build and trancsend  x1000 cards. Thanks so much for you help!
Read first page of this manual item 12. (NOT AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW-->) If you want to record audio (wav file to SD card) scroll to Sound and select Separate WAV, or sync beep, or OFF

Hopefully will be incorporated in new MLV format here (Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0): http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.0
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Shutterlab Creative

Ah, sorry. I was in a rush and didn't see the change. I erased the comment so not to muck up the forum. Hopefully it comes soon and I look forward to seeing future developments!

Thanks for the link to v2.0 post. I haven't seen that before.

noix222

hello guys, im trying to find any new compiled build for 5dmkiii after August 21st... there is any? or a tutorial how to compile would be handy too.. thanks