HDR video?

Started by Oozing Stallion, May 05, 2013, 04:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oozing Stallion

Alright, everyone attack me.  What is the purpose of HDR video? Can't u just duplicate the effect in AE using mix modes?  It's friggin easy to over expose something in post, but u can't un-overexpose blown out footage.  Couldn't u just fake hdr by duplicating a layer, use levels to blow out the top layer, luma key the sky, then use the soft light mix mode to blend the 2 layers and give it the same look?  Now call me a dumbass and tell me why I am wrong.  Also when is ML coming to a 6D?  Boooyacka!

ItsMeLenny

You're wrong :)

It's coming to 6D when 6D users become less ignorant :P

HDR video is used at 50fps/60fps, so one ends up with a dark frame followed by a light frame, which one can then blend together into a 25fps/30fps HDR video.
h.264 is only 8bit, so no you can't fake HDR it. Particularly works well when shot in dark indoors while one still wants to capture the bright outdoors through the window.
If you have a look at some of the HDR videos in the ML Cinema you will see just how cromulent the effect can be.
One sets the exposure correctly to catch the bright areas, then adjusts the exposure using the iso only for the dark areas to get two perfectly exposed areas which can be then mashed together.

The added features are there to embiggen ML. Find what works best for you... but i guarantee your bizarre technique won't churn as good as results as 'legitimate' HDR.

And I'm unsure as to why you question is posed in such an attack when it's something that doesn't have to be used if you don't want to.

Oozing Stallion

Lenny,

U got me! Thanks for the info. I have seen a lot of YouTube videos with people trying to achieve an effect that seemed pointless because I don't think they knew what they were doing. U clearly do. Thanks, and yeah I was asking for it. Btw... "Cromulent" really?  That was unnecessary.

kgv5

For HDR i am using workflow from this tutorial, for me it's the best and gives very satisfying results. It's easy and can be done only in AE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdtLZUS92Vw
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

ItsMeLenny

Had a quick look at kgv5's video, and it gives really good examples.
So check out it. And also check out http://www.magiclantern.fm/hdrvideos

Oozing Stallion

Thanks bros, yesterday when I asked my question in a snarky way I didn't know jack about HDR video... Today my horizons are expanded, and I have a new technique to master.  ML forum victory!

noisyboy

Quote from: Oozing Stallion on May 06, 2013, 03:04:11 AM
Thanks bros, yesterday when I asked my question in a snarky way I didn't know jack about HDR video... Today my horizons are expanded, and I have a new technique to master.  ML forum victory!

Achievement Unlocked  8)

ItsMeLenny

I suggest trying to make an HDR photo first then, so you can see what is going on.

qsara

You can obviously see the difference between 720p HDR video vs 1080p Stock Video.

Left at 18mm, Right at 45mm.

testing;