How to record: -- RAW Digital Cropped Video 30/24fps on 5D3 & others--

Started by RenatoPhoto, May 16, 2013, 04:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llirik

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on August 26, 2013, 02:01:02 AM
There is not recording at 10X, although it could be useful if the devs found a way to do it.
Cannot cycle while recording, this is not possible, it does not work.  Hopefully devs will disable this so that the camera does not crash.

Great, thanks for clearing it up. Perhaps the OP should make that clear?

Shield

I don't think people really realize how awesome this is.  Not just for movies, but for stills too.
Since you can go way above 1920x1080 for short clips, your 70-200 2.8 IS II lens now becomes a 24 FPS 210-600mm 2.8 BEAST.  Twice as fast as the 1dx.  No, you won't have full high resolution 22 megapixel stills, but boy, you sure can get "the moment" for smaller prints and long distance sports shooting.
It's fricking amazing.

Braam544

Hello I just put the latest version of ML,  for my 5D m3, but when I record in H264 and not RaW, I have a message warning that the audio is disabled. why?

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Braam544 on October 14, 2013, 10:10:06 AM
Hello I just put the latest version of ML,  for my 5D m3, but when I record in H264 and not RaW, I have a message warning that the audio is disabled. why?
Stop double posting and read the forum rules.
While in video mode go to Canon menu and enable audio.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Astronick

I think it should be mentioned that setting the image quality to jpeg allows you to record more frames (as the buffer size is bigger) on some cameras (for instance 7D).

Rewind

Quote from: Astronick on October 24, 2013, 11:13:56 PM
I think it should be mentioned that setting the image quality to jpeg allows you to record more frames (as the buffer size is bigger) on some cameras (for instance 7D).

On other cameras, say 650D, contrarily, setting RAW gives more memory.

Astronick

But since the title is "5D3 & others", it is a bit misleading to write

VERY IMPORTANT
Make sure that in Canon Menu:
Image Quality = Raw

when this setting depends on the camera.

I'm just trying to improve the How-to :)

a1ex

A table with optimal picture quality setting for each camera would be nice, and I think it deserves a separate topic.

RenatoPhoto

I have change the OP post.  If someone test and confirms the test with proof that a different setting is optimal I will update the post.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

maxdlsmith

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere before, but when recording in crop mode on the 5d3 is the framing correct? And if you shoot 1080 can you still use other ML functions such as peaking?

Thanks in advance

swordinhand

Maybe this was answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

When I enable 'FPS override' with 'exact FPS' optimization (to utilize crop mode at 23.976 FPS), my shutter speed changes from 1/48 to 1/33.7 (256 deg). If I adjust my shutter speed to attain 1/48 (180 deg), my canon shutter speed and the readout in the ml overlay, reads 1/80.  What is the correct shutter speed, the one listed in the ML menu or the one on the canon top LCD / ML shutter speed overlay?  I want to use both crop and normal raw modes and have a 180 degree shutter. Sorry if this question has already been answered.  Appreciate any and all help. Thank you!

gary2013

Quote from: a1ex on October 25, 2013, 11:14:12 AM
A table with optimal picture quality setting for each camera would be nice, and I think it deserves a separate topic.
yes, that would be nice.

Canon eos m

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on October 25, 2013, 01:57:03 PM
I have change the OP post.  If someone test and confirms the test with proof that a different setting is optimal I will update the post.

Hi RP,

I have the latest commit (31 December 2013) loaded on my 5D3. How do I get the camera to record in crop mode. Can't see any option?
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Canon eos m

Quote from: Canon eos m on January 02, 2014, 04:24:24 PM
Hi RP,

I have the latest commit (31 December 2013) loaded on my 5D3. How do I get the camera to record in crop mode. Can't see any option?
\

When I press the magnify button, I keep getting the message"The image cannot be magnified in live view mode".
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

RenatoPhoto

Canon eos m

Done that already. Get the message on the screen. It does not accept any magnification unless I put the lens on manual focus and there too the camera goes out of magnification the moment I press the recording button.

RenatoPhoto

You have to enable Live mode in Canon Menu (fourth red shoot menu) for AF mode, also set Live View shoot to enable.
Currently you have AF mode to "(smile) Live mode"  smile=Face detection mode

5D3 manual pg203

Canon eos m

TheJuice

Hi,
Do you think it would be feasible to implement an ON/OFF switch in order to record in cropped mode ?

I was traveling the other week and knew that in some way there was a possibility of recording like so... But didn't know how to do it. So I looked everywhere in the menus, to no avail...
Getting back I checked the tutorials, and for sure I couldn't have figured it out by myself. Many steps are involded in order to enter this "hidden" mode. It would be great if one could enable it with just the push of a button.

But again, it may be hard to code to make it available, I have no idea...

Romcik

Hello guys!

1.Why video on Canon 600d in resolution 768x432 is cropped?Square in LiveView.It is possible to make image on full LiveView?

2.Video is not good quality.In daylight so so.In lamp light verry yelllow and noisy.It my post processing problem or something else?

Video in daylight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRLgX6KDlrE&list=UUZ2Hmd0aJWBMoE592PdlITA&feature=c4-overview

Video in lamp light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDOu2hx7fqA&list=UUZ2Hmd0aJWBMoE592PdlITA&feature=c4-overview

nickychris

Hi all. Firstly thanks for all the hard work!

I really need to know why hdmi monitors crash the 5d3 whilst recording crop-mode raw??
Everything works perfect in normal raw recording but NOT crop-mode??
Ive tried a few monitors and Ive updated to the latest build, etc.

Nothing works please help :(

ptaylor999

Does anyone out there know if there is ANY way to view 3x crop mode (not 5x) through the viewfinder, in color?

I've discovered that I can indeed see the 3x crop through the viewfinder if I turn on Global View and set the Preview to ML_Greyscale, but I do a lot of focusing on the run, and the glitchy greyscale image I get is just too degraded to grab good focus on the fly.

Am I missing something?

I'm using the Aug 22 build.

Danne

So, went fiddling with the awesome 3x zoom feature again on my 5d mark 3. Don,t know if this been discussed but based on my findings I have a few questions.
When global draw is on I actually get the correct framing when zoom pushed in. VERY useful indeed. When I halfpress the shutter I even get a color screen! When I hit record the already slow framerate with global draw on becomes even slower. Fine.
Solution. After framing with global draw on I hit INFO button and I,m instantly back in 5x mode and realtime liveview and I can start filming. When getting back after recording I have to hit INFO button about three times to get back to global draw mode again.
Update* I can go in and out of Global Draw while filming for framing purposes while filming. Very useful.

Interested in any findings to this from others. Question raised to why the picture can,t be in color all the time when in global draw on like when I half press my shutter?
As a feature it would be nice to be able to toggle between global draw on and off with one button to get in and out of framing between 3x and 5x mode choosing between realtime liveview and correct framing. Preferably in color.

update* Actually when I do following

"ML Prefs>LV Display Presets
Set the value to 2"
I can toggle in and out of correct framing and realtime liveview simply by hitting "info" button. COOL!
Only thing now is to get the color to stay color without pressing halfshutter...

Thanks!
/D

pc_bel

QuoteI really need to know why hdmi monitors crash the 5d3 whilst recording crop-mode raw??
Everything works perfect in normal raw recording but NOT crop-mode??
Ive tried a few monitors and Ive updated to the latest build, etc.

Nothing works please help

My 5D3 doesn't crash but records weird frames randomly. Only with HDMI monitor attatched and in crop mode. My settings are:
5D3
HDMI monitor conected.
Komputerbay 1000x 64Gb
14 January 2014 build
MLV video
1920x1080
1920 30-I (in Canon menu)
Cropped mode,
16:9 aspect ratio,
Preview auto or Canon (the result of weird frames are same in both preview modes),
fps override 25,
Exact fps,
Frame skipping OFF
Global Draw ON (tested with global draw OFF same weird frames)
Image Quality = Raw
Auto Lighting Optimizer = OFF
Long exp. noise reduction = OFF
High ISO speed NR = OFF
Highlight tone priority = OFF
Multiple Exposure = Disable
HDR Mode = Disable HDR

I'm interested to know if someone can record cropped video without weird frames and a similar configuration (HDMI monitor conected).

If I disconect monitor all is ok. But dificult to get image in focus (cycling footage) with the in camera screen!!!!!.

Thanks and sorry for my bad english!!.

nickychris

Hey thanks for responding! Wow so u got it working!
Sorry u get random weird frames tho..
Please tell us what hdmi monitor you are using because I've tried 2 different monitors and my camera crashes (same build and settings as you)
Thanks